Randi

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Both of them laughed quietly before moving on to other topics which included future plans.

"Seattle is on my short list of places to go once I finish up grad school," Zack informed him. "I should be able to work pretty much anywhere, and there's just so much outdoor stuff to do there."

"No kidding on the 'stuff to do' and 'no kidding?' on the moving there thing. That would be wonderful were I to end up staying out there, and if you kids ended up moving there."

"Staying where?" Mac said as she walked in on their conversation.

"Oh. Hey, there, honey. Yeah. Well, you know. If your grandmother needs my help for any real length of time, I suppose that's possible."

Mac smiled as she poured herself some coffee.

"Grandma?" she asked in a way that said. "Why would she need your help? Is everything okay?"

In spite of having said he wouldn't say anything, Eaton felt he needed to let his daughter know and told her everything his mom had told him.

"Oh, my God. Dad, I'm so sorry."

"Me, too, honey. I know how much you love your Grandpa."

"ALS is just such an awful way to...." Mac said. "Then again, a brain tumor isn't exactly fun, either."

Ignoring her comment, her dad asked, "Are you okay?"

"I am. I'm sad, but I'm okay."

Mac kept looking at him then said, "That isn't the whole story, is it, Dad?"

"What do you mean?" he asked as though she couldn't put two and two together.

"Would this possibly also have something to do with a certain woman you once went to high school with?" she asked before taking a first sip.

"No. I can honestly tell you it doesn't," he replied.

Mac looked at him knowing there was still more to the story than what he said.

"Hmmm. Okay," she said. "I'll let it go. For now. But whenever you feel like sharing with your only daughter...."

"Oh, that was below the belt, Mac," her father said with a smile.

"Yes, it was, but so is hiding the truth from your only child," she said back with a smile of her own.

Mac saw him fidgeting in a way she knew all too well, then said, "Dad? Is there something you want to talk about?"

"Yes, but I don't want you to give me a hard time, okay?" he said, wondering whether or not he should even bring it up.

"Dad. Come on. You know me. We tease each other a lot, but when it comes to something serious—no way. Especially not after losing Mom."

Eaton drew a long breath, exhaled slowly then said, "I kind of have met someone."

He watched Mac's reaction then said again, "Kind of."

For the next three or four minutes, he told her (and Zack) about Molly, the Facebook friend request, and how that led to him looking at her daughter's pictures.

"Randi, right?" Mac asked to clarify as she tried to keep the new names straight.

"Yes. Randi."

"And her daughter's name is Chloe."

"Again, yes."

"Okay, so what's the problem?" Mac asked.

"You don't think her age is an issue?" her dad asked.

"Do you?" she said turning it back around on him.

"I don't know. I mean, I suppose as long as she doesn't care...and you don't care, then, no, it isn't that big of a deal."

"Dad, what I think doesn't matter. I love you for asking me, but the truth is, I really don't care as long as you're happy. We were all devastated when Mom died, and I miss her every single day. A lot. But Mom is gone, and you're still very much alive. All I want is for you to find someone to love who'll love you back. So if this Randi is that girl, then I'd be thrilled for you."

"Wow. You're pretty amazing," he told her.

She came over to give him a hug then said, "That's because I had two amazing parents."

After they hugged, Eaton asked Zack if he had any thoughts.

"I'm a complete outsider, but if you want my opinion, I'll offer it," he said with a smile.

"You're not an outsider, Zack. You're family," the older man told him.

"Well, in that case, I'd say I agree with McKenna. Sorry, I can't do the 'Mac' thing, but I do get it," he began.

"McKenna and I are both hardcore Libertarians just like you and Randi. That's important to both us. It's very important, in fact. It's one of a very few deal-breakers for me. Smoking would be another although I am 100% for individual rights. I just couldn't live with a woman who smoked. And if politics didn't matter to her, that would be nearly as bad as trying to love someone who was far Right or far Left. It just wouldn't work. Add to that the fact that both of you lost your spouse, and I'd say that has the potential to more than compensate for the difference in age. Again, if both of you are really okay with it."

Eaton waited before responding, looked over at Mac, then said, "You hit a home run, honey. This guy's a keeper."

She went over and put her arm around her fiancé and said, "Yeah. He is pretty great, isn't he?" before she leaned down and kissed him.

"Wow. I suddenly feel emboldened," Eaton said.

"You should, Dad. We both say 'go for it'. So...go for it, okay?" Mac told him with another smile.

"I uh, I think I just might. If we hit it off after spending some time together, and if her mother doesn't go all psycho on me—or her daughter—I just might do that."

After four more wonderful days with Mac and Zack or Zack and Mac, he liked the way the names rhymed, Eaton hugged his daughter, and her fiancé, before watching them drive away while he packed his bags and got ready to fly to Seattle the next day.

They'd had a wonderful time together including Christmas Day which wasn't what it used to be, but all in all, it had been a very enjoyable day and visit. A friend was keeping Tinky for Mac and she wasn't anxious to get back and see her sweet little kitty, so they newly-engaged couple couldn't stay there and watch the house for even a few more days.

He'd touched base with Molly and kept things short and sweet, letting her know when he'd be in, as she still planned to meet him at the airport and drop him off at his mom and dad's house.

He knew he could drive his dad's car for the foreseeable future as his father was no longer able to safely drive. His mom had a car of her own, so that wouldn't be an issue, and he could stay with his folks as long as necessary or until there was some reason to either return to Montana or find a place of his own out there.

Eaton arranged for a property manager he and Ruby had known to keep an eye on his place and with a maid service to have it cleaned once a week. And with that, he was ready to head back to the Pacific Northwest where he was born and raised.

As much as he tried to pretend nothing would happen when Molly found out the truth, he found it impossible to ignore what might very well be a huge scene, during the flight to Seattle. His only real hope was it wouldn't happen on the drive to his parents' home, but he'd know in a couple more hours.

The flight arrived right on time, and as he headed down the ramp, he forced a smile and braced himself. He entered the open area and looked around and didn't see Molly anywhere. He continued walking and looking as he made a mental note of where baggage claim was then heard a familiar voice say, "Need a ride, handsome?"

He turned around and standing there was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen with the possible exception of Ruby. He noticed she was wearing a very pretty dress under her coat and smiling brightly when they made eye contact.

"Randi! Oh, my goodness!" he said as he walked toward her. He set his carry-on down then smiled back and opened his arms to give her a hug.

She happily embraced him then said, "I'm so glad to finally meet you in person, David."

He held her close for a few seconds longer than a first hug should be, but she held him back, so he assumed she was okay with it.

"Yeah. Me, too," he said after she pulled away. "And...wow. You look...sensational!"

"Thank you," she said sweetly. "I'll explain why I'm here while we go get your bags."

"Yes. Please do," Eaton told her as she continued smiling at him. "Did I say how amazing you look?"

Randi laughed a happy laugh and said, "Yes, but I don't mind hearing again if it's you saying it."

"Well, you look absolutely beautiful."

"And you look very handsome," she told him as they began walking.

She surprised him again when she reached for his hand and asked, "Do you mind?"

He took it and said, "Not at all."

As they walked, Randi told him she and her mother had had another blowout.

"Because of me?" he asked hoping that wasn't the case.

"Well...kind of," she replied. "Mom called me and was going on and on about how excited she was to see you, and how she couldn't wait to spend time with a fellow liberal Democrat, and I might have kind of mentioned that you didn't exactly share her views."

"Uh-oh," Eaton said.

"Um...yes. Uh-oh," Randi agreed.

"She wanted to know what I meant, and when I told her how your views matched mine, she didn't believe me. You know, because you're a university professor, and of course, all such people are all liberal progressives, right?"

Randi was smiling, but Eaton knew this was serious so he smiled back and kept listening.

"Anyway, I tried explaining that to her then she stopped me and asked, 'How the hell do you know all this anyway?' When I told her we'd been texting and talking she kind of lost it."

"Ohhh...." Eaton replied. "How badly did she lose it?"

"No worse than usual when politics comes up, but suffice it say she has no interest in spending any time with you now."

"This is where I'd normally make a wise-guy crack in response, but that seems wholly inappropriate right about now," he told her.

"It's okay. I know my mom and this is par for the course. She's not really upset that she lost a potential um...boyfriend. She's just angry as hell that you're a 'traitor to the cause'. Because...you're a college professor and...."

"Ah, okay. I get it. I don't fit her preconceived notion of how I should think so...."

"Exactly!" Randi said just as they arrived at his carousel.

He turned toward her and said, "So...is she still speaking to you?"

Randi smiled that amazing smile and said, "She agreed to watch Chloe for me so I could come pick you up. I'd say that's a very good sign."

"So things are...good?" he asked.

"Um...things are...normal," she told him. "She'll be fine. We just agreed to disagree the way we always do, and this is no exception."

"Well, I'm really glad you were here to meet me. This trip home has the potential to be very difficult, but with you being my first memory of coming home, I feel a whole lot better."

"I wouldn't have missed it, David," she said sweetly as she stared into his eyes.

"It's funny, but I've imagined this moment a hundred times," he said. "No, make that a thousand times."

"Same here," she said just as sweetly.

"And now I'm not sure how to even act," he told her as they held one another's gaze.

"I wouldn't mind if you wanted to kiss me," she said as her eyes darted back and forth with his.

"There is nothing on earth I'd rather do than kiss you," he said quietly as he reached up touched her pretty face.

"Then kiss me, professor," she said as she put her hands on his chest while still looking up at him.

David Eaton leaned down and softly kissed this beautiful, younger woman for the first time just as the first bags slid down onto the carousel.

When it ended a couple of seconds later, Randi smiled at him and said, "That's how I imagined meeting you the thousand or so times I thought about it."

Recalling Mac's admonition to 'go for it', he smiled back and said, "I should warn you I already have quite a schoolboy crush on you, and this isn't making it any easier."

"Oh, good," she said just as sweetly as before. "Then my plan is working."

His first bag came around and after grabbing it he asked her, "Hmmm. And what plan might that be?"

"Oh, you'll see," she told him, that beautiful smile still there.

"You know what?" he said as he faced her again.

"Uh-uh. Tell me," she said with a bright, happy smile.

"I can't wait to see," he told her, a big grin on his ruggedly-handsome face.

"I can't wait to show you," she said before she kissed him.

They talked all the way to his parents' house, and when they pulled into the driveway, Eaton asked her to come in and meet his mom and dad.

"No. This is your time, David. From what you've said, your father doesn't need a stranger there, especially if he's already self-conscious. Just let me know when I can see you again, and I'll be here. Or there."

She smiled sweetly then said, "Or...anywhere."

He sat there looking at her for a few seconds then said, "I can't ever remember feeling like this before about anyone."

"It's nice, isn't it?" she said quietly.

"Very."

"I'll let you go then," she told him.

"Not just yet, okay?" he said as he leaned over and kissed her again.

Randi smiled happily as they kissed then said, "Bye," when it ended.

"Oh. I'd like to meet Chloe. Whenever you're comfortable with that, of course," he said before opening his door.

"I'd like you to," she told him. "Maybe we could make dinner for you once you're settled in."

"You cook, too?" he asked as he smiled back at her.

"I do. And I'm told I'm not too bad at it."

"I may have to pinch myself."

She smiled at him then said, "No, don't do that. This is real, David. It's very real, and so far, it's been really...wonderful."

He took his hand off the door handle then leaned over and kissed her again before saying, "Yes. Yes, it has."

He grabbed his bags out of the trunk then waved goodbye as Randi waved back.

He stood there and watched while she backed out of the driveway before heading inside.

His mom was waiting for him and although she was the strongest woman he'd ever known, she cried when she saw her son.

"I am so glad your home, David!" she said as they embraced.

"Me, too, Mom," he told her. "How's Dad?"

She dried her eyes and said, "Not well, I'm afraid. He's lost a lot of function just since we first talked about this. The doctor says it's progressing very rapidly, but it could slow down. Or...get even worse. It's impossible to predict with any given case. His left leg is too weak to walk now, and he's having trouble saying several other letters. You can still understand him, but I just wanted to forewarn you."

"Does he know I'm here?" he asked.

"No. I haven't told him," she said. "And you didn't tell me about that very pretty young woman who brought you home."

"It's a long story, Mom. Can I tell you later?"

"Of course. Let's go see your father, shall we?"

His mom went in first and said, "We have a visitor."

"No! Shen them 'way," he said meaning 'send them away'.

"This is someone you'll want to see, honey," she said with a smile as their son stepped into the room.

David Eaton had never seen his father cry before, but the moment he saw his son, it happened.

He walked straight to the bed, bent over and held his father as he said, "Hey, Dad."

"David," his father said as they hugged. His left arm was very weak, too, and raising it was difficult, even to hug his son.

As he stood up, he saw his father turn away from him out of embarrassment.

Eaton sat on the bed then said, "It's okay, Dad."

"I don' wan' you t' she me li' thi'," he said.

"You're my father, and I wouldn't not be here for anything," his son told him.

His dad turned his head and looked at his son then said, "I'm sho gla' you're home', David."

"Me, too, Dad," he told him, forcing himself not to cry.

His father had so many things to say, and talking was very difficult, but an hour later, Eaton had listened to his dad explain how much he loved his son, how sorry he was for Ruby's death, and what he wanted to have happen after he died.

Eaton wanted to say something like, "Come on, Dad. You're not gonna die!" but he knew that wasn't true.

After everything had been said, he told his father, "Mom and I will do everything you want. I promise."

His dad tried to squeeze his hand but it was nothing close to a squeeze; it was more just a gentle touch.

He and his mom spent several hours talking about the illness, final plans, and then about that 'pretty, young girl' she'd seen him kiss.

Eaton told his mom who she was and how they met, as well as how old she was, and to his surprise she said, "Life is so short, David. I know you think that at 51 you understand that, but it goes even faster the older we get. When you hit 60, you'll know what I mean. So don't waste a single day. And who cares how old she is if you both love one another? The only thing that matters is that you two make each another happy. If you do, then follow your heart. Do that and you'll be happy."

"You know, Mac told me she was blessed to have had two wonderful parents, but I'm the lucky one. You and Dad are the best, Mom."

She didn't cry, but his words clearly touched her as she warmly hugged her son again.

"Now, why don't you call this Randi and go spend some time with her? There's nothing more you can do here but sit around and wait. Talking wears your father out, and you two had a very long and productive chat. So go, okay?"

"Will you be okay, Mom?" he asked knowing she'd be just fine.

"Yes, and I'll be even better knowing you're with someone else who cares about you, David."

"Well, okay. I'll give her a call then and see if she's available."

Eaton took a quick shower, changed, then called the number he'd memorized. She answered on the first ring and just hearing her voice lifted his spirits.

"I'm not only available, I'm just getting ready to make dinner. Would you like to join us?" Randi asked.

"I would, and I can be there in a few minutes if that's okay," he told her.

"Okay? It's perfect! See you soon!" she said, her voice happy and playful.

Unlike him, Randi hadn't changed clothes, and although what she wore didn't matter to him, Eaton thought she was absolutely beautiful in the dress she was still wearing.

"Wow. I could get used to seeing you looking so beautiful," he told her when she let him in. "Or just seeing you."

She put her arms around him, smiled, and said, "What a coincidence! I could get used to having you come home to me every day."

"You wouldn't get tired of that?" he asked, not sure how serious she was.

Randi stood on her toes and kissed him then said, "Nope."

Just as she lowered her arms, Eaton saw a little girl come around the corner.

He smiled, knelt down, then said, "Hi! You must be Chloe."

She ran over to her mother and grabbed her leg then said, "Yes, I am."

Randi also bent down then said, "Sweetie? This is Mommy's friend, David. Do you remember talking to him on the phone?"

"Oh! Now I 'memmer!" she said letting go of her mom.

Chloe moved closer, stopped, and looked at him then said, "You're old. Just like my grandma."

It was as innocent as could be, and Eaton started laughing even as Randi covered her mouth in horror.

Before she could say anything to her daughter, Eaton said, "That's true. Your grandma and I went to school together a long, long time ago."

Chloe took a few more steps forward as Randi stood up and decided to just watch and let this unfold.

"Grandma says there were dinosaurs when she was little. Did you see them, too?"

Randi's eyes opened wide in even greater surprise, as Eaton answered.

"Only one or two. Most of them got stuck in big tar pits and turned into oil, but there were a few of them still around when I was about your age."

Satisfied with his answer, Chloe said, "Do you wanna come play with me?"

"Honey? David needs some time to talk to Mommy first, okay?" Randi said.

He saw the disappointment in Chloe's eyes and said, "But I will come play with you later. Is that okay?"

Again, satisfied with what she heard, Chloe said, "Okay!" and skipped away back to her room.