Reconnection

Story Info
Young comes back to confront a failed relationship.
15.3k words
4.62
73.2k
101
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
768 Followers

This story is about a young man's homecoming to confront a painfully failed relationship. The events, places and people are nothing more than a product of my imagination. There is no SEAL Team 12. To make my character a part of a real SEAL Team would serve to dishonor these brave men for their sacrifices and their accomplishments. I hope you like my story and accept it for what it is - just a story with a happy ending.

*

I first met Charlene Thomas the summer between third and fourth grade. Her parents moved next door into Mrs. Williamson's house after she moved to Oregon to live with her daughter. We were not only neighbors, we were best friends. Walking to school every day we talked about all the things that are important to kids that age. We shared everything from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to the measles.

The elementary school and junior high school years flew by in the blink of an eye. Charlene, actually everyone called her Charlie, was my first date. We went to a dance celebrating the end of junior high school together. My dad drove us and her dad picked us up. It was the night I got my first boyfriend-girlfriend kiss from her.

When Charlie entered high school she really blossomed. She changed from the cute little brown haired girl into a beautiful brown haired woman. Oh, by the way, my name is Evan, Evan Douglas and I changed too. Going from a short, pudgy little guy to a tall and lanky one.

Charlie played volleyball and was on the school's swimming team. I was on the cross-country and track teams. I never missed a volleyball game or swim meet and she came to all of my cross-country and track meets. We did everything together, movies, dances, picnics, everything.

Charlie and I were inseparable right up to last semester of our senior year. It wasn't a matter of 'what' as it was 'who' broke us up. Brent Toney moved into town and moved me out of Charlie's life. He had everything that I didn't, good looks, money, a fancy car and was one of the captains of the football team.

There were two things I had that he didn't. Honor and morals. He was not only a liar, he was also a cheat. Word out was he used girls and then discarded them after growing tired of their 'charms'. When he set his sights on Charlie there wasn't much I could do to stop him. I tried to warn her but she wouldn't listen.

Ever since we entered high school Charlie and I promised to attend the Senior Prom together. A week before the big event I asked Charlie what she was wearing so I could get a tux and corsage to complement her dress.

She looked at me, with a glimmer of sadness in her eyes, and said. "Evan, I'm going to the prom with Brent. Why don't you ask Mary Beth Simmons? I know she doesn't have a date."

I didn't ask Mary Beth. I didn't go to the Prom. I didn't march with my graduating class either. Since we crossed the stage in alphabetical order I couldn't stand the thought of watching Charlie with Brent Toney, a step behind her, receive their diplomas.

I went to see the principal the morning of the Prom. Since I had completed all the requirements for my diploma I was able to pick it up early. When he asked me why I wasn't going to participate in the ceremony I just said it was for personal reasons. Then I went to the Navy Recruiter's Office and enlisted.

Mom and Dad were a little unhappy with my decision to say the least. Dad always wanted me to go to college and then take over the family's business. When they asked me how Charlie felt about all of this I told them what she had done to me. Then they understood. They still weren't happy with my decision, but it was my decision.

The morning of my high school graduation I left for Great Lakes Naval Training Center for Basic Training (Boot Camp). I didn't speak to Charlie for six years.

Boot camp was an experience I'll not soon forget. I learned that were three ways of doing things. The wrong way, the right way and the Navy way. Keep your ears open, your mouth shut, do as you are told and you'll get along just fine.

Mom and Dad drove up to see me graduate. I was named the 'Honor Academic Recruit' for the entire division. They were proud and really happy to be there, having missed my high school graduation ceremony.

After a short leave, spent with Mom and Dad wandering around Chicago, I was flown to my 'A' School at the Center for Security Forces in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The time spent there was not as intense as Basic Training. We were given time away from our studies to do what ever we wanted. While there I decided to take some additional college level courses in criminal investigation and continued with them after I left, eventually earning a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice a few years later.

While at 'A' School Mom wrote me that Charlie was pregnant. I wrote back and told Mom please not to speak or write to me again about Charlie. I loved Charlie but, clearly, she didn't share my feelings. I did receive another letter some time later from Mom telling me Charlie had lost her baby. I wrote back reminding her not to write or speak to me about Charlie.

After finishing 'A' School I was assigned to the Naval Base in Bahrain in the Persian Gulf. I spent a full year there before applying for BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/Seal Training) and was selected.

BUD/S training is conducted at the Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, California. It was the most physically and mentally challenging twenty-four weeks of my life. I made it through and was assigned to SEAL Team 12 which at the time was stationed in Little Creek, Virginia, so I traveled back across the country once more. While stationed there I met and dated a lot of pretty girls, but no one could compare to Charlie.

When my initial four year enlistment was finished I re-upped for an additional two years. During this time I participated in several covert operations. I was wounded only once. Thank God, it was minor but bad enough to earn a Purple Heart.

In addition, I was awarded a Bronze and Silver Star for valor. I don't really like to talk about the two operations that earned me the stars. They are still classified so I won't speak about them except to say that a whole bunch of bad guys died and my teammates and I went through Hell.

Toward the end of my sixth year in the Navy I was considering reenlisting for an additional two year tour when I received a phone call from my mother. Dad had suffered a heart attack and would be laid up for several months. She asked me to come home to help out with the family business until he could recuperate.

I agreed. So I packed all my uniforms, boxed up my commendations and medals and left the Navy with an Honorable Discharge.

I made many good friends in the Team and I would miss them. We were truly a 'Band Of Brothers'.

It took me two days of hard driving to get back home. Driving into town, late the second night, I observed that things had not changed all that much. Some of the store fronts downtown had received a facelift and new street lighting had been installed and that's about it. My old neighborhood was exactly as I had left it six years ago.

Pulling into the driveway of my old home I grabbed a small bag with my belongings, having already shipped most of my gear home. I climbed the familiar steps to Mom and Dad's front door. Glancing at the Thomas's home next door I observed all the lights were off except for the one on the porch. The same one that was always on when I brought Charlie home from one of our dates so long ago.

I heaved a huge sigh and when I went up to my front door, it was flung open and my mother grabbed me, hugging and kissing me, as she pulled me inside. She quickly filled me in on dad's condition. The heart attack had been a bad one, caused by too much stress, no serious exercise and poor eating habits. She was determined to change all those bad habits. My dad meant everything to her and she wanted him around for a long time to come.

Before I went to bed I asked mom if there was room in the garage for my car. It was special to me. I found it on an on-line auction site a couple of years ago. A 1966 Mustang Fastback.

When I bought it the car had a 289 cubic inch engine with 271 horses. I had it bored and stroked out to 302 c.i. which increased the horse power to well over 300. By reworking the heads and valve seats I had it converted to run on unleaded high octane fuel. After removing the louvers and replacing them with Shelby style glass panels, I had it repainted Cobra blue with two wide white stripes running nose to tail. It was a sweet ride and my pride and joy.

When I asked if there was room in the garage for my car mom grabbed her car keys and said she would move her's out onto the driveway and I could move mine into her spot in the garage. As we locked up the garage I noticed the porch light next door was turned off. Mom saw me looking and said that she had, inadvertently, told Mrs. Thomas I was coming home tonight.

"Evan, I think, maybe, she put it on to welcome you home." She said.

The next morning I slept in until 9am, three hours later than my normal wake up time. Stumbling into the kitchen I found Mom and Dad still seated at the breakfast table. Pouring a cup of coffee I sat down with them. We spent the next ninety minutes getting caught up with what had been going on in our lives over the past six years. Truth be told I was glad to be back home.

As I tried to assist dad into his home office he said to me. "Evan, don't get all worried about me. The heart attack wasn't as bad as your mother would like you to believe. The doctor told me that with rest, proper exercise and a change in my diet I should make a full recovery."

"Wow, that's a big relief, dad. I worry about you almost as much as mom does. We both want you around for a long, long time to come."

"Well, now don't get all sentimental on me now." He said. "Come in here and let's talk about what is going on with the business."

Dad was in the insurance business; both claims investigation and underwriting. He had an office manager, Agnes, who had worked for him for over twenty years and three agents who wrote the policies. The biggest part of his business was investigation and claims settlement and that is what he did. You wouldn't believe how many people try to rip off the insurance companies. (On second thought, you probably do.)

"Let me show you the case I was working on before my attack. You'll be doing this one now Evan." He told me as he passed me a thick file folder.

Brent Toney and his wife, Barbara, had filed a claim against their homeowner's insurance for over a half million dollars. They claimed a break-in and several valuable pieces of art work and expensive jewelry had been stolen.

Dad was skeptical about the claim. "This is not the first questionable claim he has filed." Dad told me. "About five months after you left he filed a claim for an automobile accident. There have been at least three more claims since then including this current one."

"I didn't investigate any of these prior claims and they were settled by the insurance companies. In my opinion they settled too quickly. This last claim is against the policy that my firm wrote and I want you to go over it with a fine tooth comb."

"Dad, what about Charlie? Do you think she may have been in on the filing of any of these fraudulent claims?"

Chapter Two

Dad tells Evan what he knows

"To answer your question Evan no, I don't. Let me fill you in what I do know about her life since you left. I know you told your mom not to talk about her to you. However, there are some things of which you should be aware of that are not in that file folder."

"You have to be professional about all of what I am about to tell you. Forget your emotions, or at least, put them on the back burner for now. Now have a seat and let me tell you what I know."

Dad began by saying. "Bob and Betty Thomas have been our neighbors and close friends for more than fifteen years. The day after the Senior Prom Betty came over to talk with your mom. You had already left to stay with your grandparents, to spend time with them, before leaving for the Navy so you didn't know about it."

"She came over to apologize for Charlie's behavior. Mom told her that she didn't need to apologize. What was done, was done, and no matter what had happened between you kids they would remain friends. That evening Bob told me pretty much the same thing when he got home from work. That he was sorry at what had happened between you and his daughter but was glad to hear that our two families would remain friends."

I sat and listened as dad continued. "Three months later it became evident that Charlie was pregnant."

"One afternoon I was sitting on the front porch when Bob and Betty came running out their front door. Bob yelled to me that Charlie had been in an accident and was taken to the hospital. They jumped into their car and sped away."

"Bob later confided in me that Charlie had confronted Brent Toney and he denied being responsible. She had kept after him and finally he agreed to talk about it with her. He drove over, picked Charlie up to go somewhere where they could talk in private."

"I went inside the house and told your mother what happened then we both drove to the hospital. Entering the emergency room we saw Betty sitting down crying and Bob pacing up and down the waiting room. Mom went to console Betty and I went over to Bob. He saw me and collapsed into an empty chair and I sat next to him."

"He told me that Charlie had been brought in by ambulance. She was cut and bruised and had severe vaginal hemorrhaging. She was in surgery and that's all they knew. Mom brought Betty over and the four of us sat and prayed together."

"Evan, it was the longest two hours of my life. Finally, a doctor came out and escorted Bob and Betty into a private office. Ten minutes later they came out hugging each other. Bob told us that they managed to save Charlie, but she lost her baby."

After dad finished telling me all this I sat there without speaking for several minutes. Finally, I asked him. "What about Charlie? What happen to her?"

"Well, son. After she got back home from the hospital she came over and spoke with your mom and me. She sat in the same chair you are sitting in now and cried her eyes out. She begged us to forgive her for what she had done to you. She wanted to know how to get in touch with you. Your mother told her of your request. I think she understood."

"I do know she enrolled in college and got a degree in Early Childhood Education. She teaches in the same elementary school you both attended. Bob tells me she is a fourth grade teacher. He, also, told me that other than school events, she doesn't go out, doesn't date and only goes to dinner with him and Betty on occasion."

"Well, Evan that's everything I know about her," he concluded. "You'll have to ask your mother for anything else."

Chapter Three

Beginning my investigation

Getting up from where I was sitting I said. "Thanks for the update, Dad. It gives me something to think about." Holding the file folder he had given me, I said to him, "I'll read over the contents of this and try to make some sense of these claims. I'll get back with you if I run across anything I'm not sure about."

"I'll start working on Toney's latest claim sometime next week. First, I need to find an apartment for myself. I know mom said I could stay here but that might make things uncomfortable if I happen to run into Charlie."

"OK, son." Dad replied. "You know we would love to have you stay with us."

"I know Dad, I know. I think it's best if I find somewhere else to live."

Just after lunch I went looking for an apartment. It didn't take me long to find just what I was looking for, two bedrooms, two baths over an enclosed garage for my car. I signed the lease and after paying the first and last month's rent plus a security deposit, I was all set.

Next stop was to the local furniture store. I planned on using the second bedroom as an office so I needed a desk, chair and some storage cabinets. Selecting a bed and dresser was easy as was furniture for the living room. The rental unit included all the kitchen appliances, including a microwave.

After arranging for delivery, they told me I would have everything later that afternoon. (Small town business are much more accommodating than the big chain stores, don't you think?)

Then it was on to Wal-Mart for bed linens, towels and stuff. I got some assorted kitchen utensils, pots and pans as well as stainless cutlery, tableware, glasses, coffee cups and every thing else I needed to set up housekeeping. Cramming it all into the trunk and backseat of my car I went back to my new home.

The furniture arrived, as promised, and I began setting everything in its place. Everything was finished to my satisfaction by early evening. I went out for a quick bite to eat before stopping at the grocery store to stock up on some food and drink.

I went to bed shortly after I got home and slept like a log. The next morning I went shopping for some business clothes. Sport jacket, slacks, shirts and couple of ties to get started. I also treated myself to two pair of new dress shoes. In just two days my bank account had taken a major hit, but it was worth it.

Returning home I made myself a quick lunch and after cleaning up I started reading the file Dad had given me the day before. It made for interesting reading to say the least. Toney had filed four claims. All against different insurance companies. The first was for the accident that totaled his car. That one was with 'Tri-State Insurance'.

The second was for a personal injury he suffered slipping and falling in a grocery store. That one was filed against the store's insurance company, 'Perfect Insurance'.

The third one was flied by both he and his wife, Barbara, against her OB/GYN doctor's insurance company, 'Doctor's Insurance'. They claimed the physician failed to properly diagnosis and treat a vaginal infection that resulted in permanent sterility for her.

The fourth claim was against the company providing homeowner's insurance. This was a policy with 'Homeowners Insurance Incorporated', the company my dad's firm represented.

The first three claims had been settled out of court. 'Tri-State' settled it as a simple automobile accident. 'Perfect Insurance' considered it to be a nuisance suit and settled to simply get rid of it. 'Doctor's Insurance' settled to avoid a lengthy court battle that would have cost them three times the amount the Toney's were seeking. It was cheaper to for them to settle.

I decided to interview the owner of the grocery store first. Jack's Market was located in a town about five miles from where I now lived. I drove over early the next morning, parked and went inside. Walking in, I found a small office in the front of the store.

Knocking on the door I asked to speak with the owner. An older man looked up from his desk and said. "That would be me. I'm Tom Matthews. How may I help you?"

I showed him my credentials and explained the reason for my visit.

"Back then Jack Martin owned the store," he said. "When Jack retired I bought it from him about a year after the so-called accident. Jack told me all about it. He was furious with the insurance company for settling the claim. He told me that the fall couldn't have happened the way Toney described in his complaint."

"Come with me and I'll show you what I mean." Walking to the rear of the market we stopped by a large refrigerated cooler.

"This is where the accident happened," he told me. "Mr. Toney claimed that he slipped in a puddle of water that had seeped out from under this cooler into the middle of the aisle."

"That couldn't have happened. Watch this." Taking a quart bottle of water he poured the contents on the floor at the bottom of the cooler. The water flowed back under the cooler not to the center of the aisle.

GatorRick
GatorRick
768 Followers