Regrets

Story Info
The torment that comes with letting love go.
8k words
4.63
31.3k
56
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rwsteward
rwsteward
952 Followers

Michael wiped his hands on his jeans. Sucked in a few deep breaths. He waited until his nerves calmed. He pulled the double glass doors open. He entered the high school office; most of the secretaries had gone home. Tomorrow is the last day of school. Michael walked up to the counter, wide and shiny as a new penny, when Mrs. Harbaugh noticed him.

"What may I do for you, Michael?"

"Nothing really."

She smiled politely as she always had for the last four years he's attended school. Her fingers went back to the typewriter, and the sound of the IBM Selective soon filled the office with its rhythmical tap-tapping. Suddenly, the typewriter stopped as though someone lifted the tone arm from a record. Mrs. Harbaugh looked over the top of her glasses. She took them off, and gently chewed on one earpiece before allowing them to settle across her chest, suspended by a delicate metal chain.

"Michael?"

Gathering strength, he didn't know he own, he felt the rock in his stomach grow to the size of Mount Everest. He glanced around the office once more and said, "Is Kathy working?"

"Ahh, I understand now," she said. Mrs. Harbaugh smiled knowingly. "She's in the back, refilling the Mimeograph machines with paper. She shouldn't be gone long."

Michael looked down at the floor and then turned on his heel. "I see." So close... But rules being rules, no one, except those girls who volunteered to help the office secretaries had any business behind the counter.

He took a few steps toward the glass doors when he heard Mrs. Harbaugh's chair roll across the floor. "Tomorrow is the last day of school, and gradation is Sunday. I can't see how it would hurt if I let you go back and say 'hello' to her."

Michael's smile lit up the office. Mrs. Harbaugh opened the half-door that separated the lobby and the offices to the rear. She held the door open. "Go ahead, it's okay."

He walked cautiously down the narrow hallway that led to the miscellany of small offices. He could hear some singing as he approached the last opened door. Michael leaned against the doorjamb, listening, watching, and smiling at Kathy. She didn't know he was there, her hands busy restocking the shelves above the Mimeograph machines. She reached high, balancing on her tip-toes, to place another ream of paper on the top shelf, and the hem of her skirt rose to mid-thigh. Her black hair hung luxuriously over her shoulders and midway down her back.

When she turned, her hair billowed out, and then she caught a handful of errant strands and looped them behind her left ear. That's when she noticed Michael in the doorway.

"Oh! Geeze, you startled me," Kathy said.

"I didn't mean to."

Kathy smiled, but it didn't last. "Does Mrs. Harbaugh know you're back here?"

"Yeah, she said it was okay."

"You're staring at me." Kathy blushed. "Is there something you want?"

Michael wiped his hands on the back of his jeans—a habit of his when he's nervous. He stood and admired Kathy. She had to be the most beautiful girl he had ever known. No one came close to Kathy. But for Michael, she might as well have been on the moon. He and Kathy came from different places. They had different values. He always figured Kathy wouldn't give him the time of day if she were pushing a wheel barrel full of alarm clocks.

Kathy had it all. Breasts that were firm, perky, and tented all the shirts she wore so they'd grab your attention from across the gym. Her legs were long and slender; athletic. She had the perfect smile with glowing white teeth. She had been the head majorette all though school. She only dated the football studs like Tony.

"Michael, is there something you want? You're freaking me out a bit."

He thought and while he did, his eyes followed her every move. This is the time. Graduation will be in a few days. Then... His lifestyle, his upbringing was so completely different from Kathy's. Her parents had money; his mom and dad both worked to put food on the table.

"Kathy, there's something I'd like to ask you."

She slipped a ream of paper on the table's edge then stopped and looked at Michael.

"Okay?"

"I'd...it's kinda hard to ask."

"Ask me what?"

"I'd like to kiss you."

Kathy's face flushed. "Are you serious?"

"As a matter of fact, I am quite serious."

"I'm dating Tony. Everyone knows that."

"I do, too. I'm not asking for a date. Just a kiss."

Kathy walked over and stood a few feet from Michael. "Why?"

Michael moved into the small office. He looked around to be sure Mrs. Harbaugh was out of sight.

"'Cause if I didn't ask, I'd regret not asking you the rest of my life. I know you'll more than likely say no, but at least I'll know for sure one way or the other. But most importantly, I asked. I'll never regret asking, but I damn will regret if I don't."

Kathy reached around Michael and pushed the door so it almost closed, leaving a small gap between it and the doorjamb. "I'm gonna tell you no."

Michael nodded. "That's fine. But I did ask." When he reached for the doorknob, he felt her hand touch his.

"That took a lot of nerve to come in here and ask me that. I don't understand."

"Mark Twain said it best."

"I'm not much into reading."

"He said, 'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.'"

They stood beside each other in silence—the sounds of Mrs. Harbaugh's typewriter in the distance. Kathy closed the door a bit more. "He said that?"

"Sure did. I'm not disappointed that you told me 'no.' But, I'd be disappointed the rest of my life if I hadn't asked. Right or wrong. Up or down. Yes or no. Either way, I'd know the answer to my question. I'll never worry about what you might have said. I know the answer."

She touched his fingertips and when she did, Michael jumped.

"Okay."

"Okay what?"

She shrugged. "Okay, let's throw off the bowline this one time, I'll let you kiss me."

Kathy moved closer. Waist to waist. She smiled. "Go a head. You wanted to; now kiss me."

His fingers moved along her arm, past her elbow, they stopped and teased the shoulder strap of her bra, tracing its outline beneath her white shirt. Kathy closed her eyes; her head tilted a bit to the right. Her lips parted slightly. Michael's hand cupped the nape of her neck. He leaned down to place a kiss on her soft, velvety pink lips. He entwined his fingers in hers. Kisses. His lips moved from hers as he placed small delicate kisses on her cheek. He kissed her eyes. His lips followed the curve of her face down her cheek and finally to her ear, placing soft kisses as he went.

Kathy's heart pounded in her chest. She felt her skin burn hot. He returned to her lips for one last kiss before he released his grip on her. He smiled. Content. Kathy had her eyes closed. Enjoying the moment. She wobbled a bit, and Michael caught her in his arms.

"Wow. Damn. Who taught you how to kiss?" Kathy stammered. She pulled her shirt down tight.

"Thank you," Michael said as he reached for the doorknob.

"That's it?"

"I always wanted to kiss you, and I did. I know you're out of my league. I know you're serious about Tony."

"You didn't answer my question?"

Michael had his hand on the doorknob. "No one taught me. It's how it's supposed to be. A man should always treat a woman like a woman."

"And who told you that?"

"My dad." Michael turned the doorknob a bit when Kathy placed her hand on top of his.

"You're a strange young man, Michael Echols."

Michael took his hand from the doorknob and gently caressed Kathy's cheek. "I heard about Tony smacking you around under the bleachers. The entire class knows about it. If that's your definition of being normal, I'm glad you consider me strange."

He placed a quick kiss on Kathy's lips, smiled, and left the room.

*********Chapter Two********

Kathy left the overnight graduation party early. She drove down Route 8, working her way toward Michael's parent's house. He wasn't invited to the party.

The Oldsmobile 442 shuddered to a stop in the driveway. Lights blazed in the garage. A screen door kept the bugs out that flew a constant circle around a lone naked light bulb. She knocked on the door, heard nothing, then stepped inside. She saw a man with a small slender hammer. He had a bald spot dead center on the top of his head. He'd put one end of the hammer into his mouth and pulled out a tack. He drove the tack deep into the fabric. He seemed pleasantly occupied. Kathy cleared her throat, and the man looked up. The hammer went into his mouth and another tap on the wood.

"Is Michael around?"

The man tipped his head to one side.

"Thank you," she said as she stepped over the remnants of upholstery material scattered along the floor. She followed a path toward a small nook. There sat Michael, bent over with his fingers working intently on an old radio.

She tapped on the bench. "Hi."

A few wisps of solder smoke oozed out of the radio cabinet. "Why, Kathy, what are you doing here? What happened to the party?"

"Not much going on there. I wanted to get away for a bit. Thought you might be up. What'cha doing?"

"Fixing this old console radio for a woman down the street. I don't get much for my labor, but I enjoy it."

"Must be nice to be handy like that."

"Dad said you need to be good with your hands to make it in today's world."

Kathy touched the back of his hand. "I bet your fingers are talented. Especially if they are anything like your lips."

Michael's face turned red.

"Hi." Michael's father nodded at Kathy. "I'd said hello back there but I had a mouth full of tacks." He turned toward Michael. "Son, I think I'm going to call it quits for the evening."

"Okay, Dad. This is Kathy. We went to school together."

"Hello again. I had a busy day. I think Mom and me will turn in early."

He hugged Michael. "Love you, Son. Don't electrocute yourself."

"I won't. Love you, too, Dad."

"Nice meeting you, Mr. Echols."

"Same here."

Kathy watched as he maneuvered down the path, piled on both sides by bolts of upholstery fabric.

"I'll get the lights," he yelled back and soon most of the garage went dark. The only light came from a small desk light. Yellow fingers of light stabbed into the darkness. They heard the screen door slap then the larger outer door as it hit the wooden jamb.

Michael smiled. "I never thought in my wildest dreams I'd be in a dimly lit room with the prettiest girl in the school." His face blushed and Kathy could almost feel the heat from his skin. "You have no idea how many times I thought about you."

Kathy draped her arms around his neck. She stepped in closer. "Did you fantasize about me?"

"Yeah. I mean, well you know, sure I thought about it. You know..."

She wiggled in closer. "I see. One handed sex." Her fingers slipped through his hair. "What did you think about? Tell me...or better yet, why don't you show me?"

Michael wiped his hands on his jeans. Then slowly his fingers moved up the front of Kathy's shirt. His hand cupped a breast. He could feel the nipple growing hard under her bra. Kathy didn't move. She didn't say a word. Her eyes were closed as she enjoyed the caress of Michael's gentle touch.

He slowly unbuttoned her shirt and pulled the shirttails out from her jeans. He slipped her shirt down her shoulders. His hands shook and he had to grasp them together for a moment. Could this be nothing but a dream? With both hands, he found the clasp of her bra. It fell away, and Michael gaped when Kathy's champagne goblet breasts glistened in the yellow light. They were textbook perfect. Soft, pert, and as smooth as the finest silk.

Instinctually, he lowered his lips and with the softest touch, kissed the top of her breasts. Kathy rose on tiptoes. Her grip around his neck tightened and she pulled Michael tight.

"Oh... my God. Kiss'em again..."

Michael's tongue twirled around her hard nips as Kathy moaned softly.

She reached down and touched Michael's growing member under his jeans. He jumped when she touched him.

Her fingers worked frantically on his belt. She had it loose—the zipper came down—Kathy wiggled his briefs down to his knees.

Michael leaned back, Kathy's fingers wrapped around the length of his dick, slowly moving up and down its length.

Kathy removed her hand and stepped back. "Take your pants off. Underwear, too."

He kicked his shoes off and in seconds, his jeans and underwear were on the workbench. His hard cock jutted out, proclaiming its dominance over Kathy.

As she stared at the naked Michael, she wet her lips. "Nice... Now wrap your fingers around it."

"Kathy!"

"You said you thought about me this way. Wrap your fingers around it and show me what you did."

Michael hesitated. He's been with other girls, plenty as a matter of fact, but nothing like this. He reluctantly placed his right hand around his cock.

"Show me what you did." She kicked her shoes off and snapped her jeans open. She pushed them down to her thighs, all the while keeping her eyes on Michael. She stood before him wearing nothing but a pair of white cotton panties. Michael could see her black bush between her legs. She looped her thumbs into the elastic band of her panties and drew them down. "Show me what you did."

He moved his hand up and down his cock. "This..."

Kathy moved close, reached down and stopped his hand. "Tell me what you did when you were thinking of me."

Michael has never been in this position. Kathy is nude and touching him. All the barriers came tumbling away. He wet his lips, placed his hand around her neck and pulled her close. "I'd jack off thinking about you." Michael's hands moved along the curve of her body. He palmed her breasts, then his fingers moved along the curve of her spine. He cradled her tight butt.

"You'll never have to do that again." Kathy led him over to an old couch, waiting to be repaired. She took his hand and slipped it between her legs. Michael wiggled a finger, then two, inside her. "Ohh, Michael...do me. Do me right here, right now."

He frantically pulled down some bolts of material onto the couch. He lifted Kathy and placed her on the pile. He placed her legs over his shoulders. The swollen head of his dick touched her hot lips and she jumped. His hands gripped her thighs as he pushed inside her.

Kathy rose. "Oh, Jesus!"

Michael paused, allowing her pussy to become acquainted with an unfamiliar cock. But he couldn't hold back. The first thrust caused Kathy to scream out his name. Her fingers dug into his ass, pulling him in deeper with each stroke.

His heart flipped and trembled in his chest. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead. More strokes. His blood ignited and liquid fire pumped through his veins. Kathy ground her teeth. Sometimes her fingers would tease and pull at her hard nipples. She ran her fingers through her black bush.

"Kathy! Kathy! Kathy! Kathy!"

He came in an explosion that seemed to rattle the garage windows. Seconds later, Kathy jerked. Her body squirmed and flushed. He collapsed on top of her. Breaths slowly returned to normal. He rolled over beside her. Kathy's eyes were closed as she continued to tease her breasts.

"Kiss'em. Please kiss'em. Michael, please kiss'em for me."

He leaned over and began to kiss her breasts. Slowly, tenderly, lovingly.

Michael slipped his arm around her, pulled her close, and kissed her lips. They sat in silence, their thoughts the only sound. He held her. It was a feeling she never had. For several moments, she thought about Tony. How he'd get on to get off. And when he was done, grab a beer and guzzle it down. This is so very different; and she liked it.

Michael stood, and quickly returned with their clothing. "We'd better get dressed."

"Suppose' so."

As they dressed, Michael grew bold. "Why? I mean why tonight? For the last four years of school, you didn't know I existed."

As Kathy snapped her jeans closed, she looked at Michael. "I don't know. Maybe I'm looking for something I haven't found."

"You have Tony."

"No woman can make Tony happy."

"Is that why you came here tonight? What happened at the party? Did Tony—"

"I heard him and another girl out in the parking lot going at it."

"Oh, what was this? A revenge fuck? Is that what I am; payback against Tony?

She dash over and took his hands into hers. "No! No, nothing like that at all. If I were going to do that, it would have been with someone he knows, someone that would brag about it. You told me the other day to cast off the bowline. I wanted to do it with you. Michael, I wanted this."

"So, I guess you're going back to the party?"

Kathy shook her head. "Naw... I'm going to go home."

"No Tony tonight?"

"Tony can't compare with what we did. I'm not talking about the sex. I told you, you're different. I'm wondering if...never mind."

Michael toyed with her long hair, slipping it through his fingers. "Would you like to go someplace with me?"

"Where?"

"Someplace unique. Quiet. Calming."

"Okay, I'd like that."

*************

Michael checked the lock on the garage door. He gave it an extra shake, just to be sure the lock held. Kathy waited patiently.

"Where are we headed to?" Kathy asked.

"The waterfalls. Haven't you ever been there?"

"No, never have. Are they close?"

"Ten miles maybe. I'll give you directions once we get going."

"Would you like to drive?"

"Do you mean it? I mean sure! Wow! I'd love to."

Kathy tossed him the keys and Michael caught them in mid air. He settled behind the wheel. With the turn of the key, the Oldsmobile rumbled to life. The engine surged when Michael tapped the accelerator pedal. The torque of the engine caused one side of the car to dip slightly. A Cheshire cat grin filled Michael's face. "Ah, this is something..."

The Olds idled and purred like a well-fed cat. His fingers wrapped around the steering wheel and he looked at Kathy next to him. "This is as close as I'll ever come to owning one of these."

Kathy placed her hand on his thigh. "I'd trade it and all that I have for..."

"For what, Kathy?" Michael shut the Olds off.

"Back in the garage, when your dad said goodnight. I'd trade this car in a second if only my dad would tell me he loves me—"

"He loves you. He's your dad."

Kathy wiped tears from her eyes with the back of her hand. "You don't know my father. All he sees is money. The power that money can buy. I am an inconvenience to my parents. I wasn't planned. Do you have any idea how many nights I've lay in bed crying myself to sleep? What do I do, Michael, when I run out of tears?"

*****************

Around eleven, the Olds made its way down a gravel road. Several other cars were parked around the edges. Small fires glowed, and the soft chatter of people talking filled the air.

They stood beside the car, then Michael leaned back, resting himself along the warm hood. Kathy next to his side. "Listen," he said.

"Water?"

"That's the falls. The river is quite narrow here along Route 8, and there are three small steps that the water tumbles over. Some people come here to fish, but mostly they come for the peace and tranquility of the water."

Kathy slipped her fingers into his hand. She leaned her head on his shoulder and listened to the water. A crescent moon hung above their heads. And for the first time in her life, Kathy felt at peace. Kathy felt loved.

***************Chapter Three************

Kathy slipped her toes into her heels. She stood and straightened her black skirt. "I'm ready."

rwsteward
rwsteward
952 Followers