Remember When... Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hilda I noticed Denise wasn't wearing her rings. She stop wearing them or what?"

"Greg she pawned them for booze while she was crawling. It's one of the things she regrets most, losing her rings."

I nod and deal with some other guests. It turns into one of the longest days of my life. I spent the night in my folks place, in my old room. I don't think it had changed a bit since I left it to go into the service. The smells, the pictures, the creaks an old house makes at night. All of it haunted my dreams. The hours I spent in this house with my best friend, who wasn't. My folks, my brother and sister. I'd been drifting for years and this house was the anchor of my past.

Morning came and with it a new resolve, a new solution and hopefully a new man. I went to Hilda's gathering with a purpose in mind. Most of the same people were there as the last party I attended there but there was no laughter at my expense. The few who would meet my gaze did so with what I'd call respect in their eyes and the day had barely begun.

I sought out Denise. She was watching the little ones playing. There were always little ones at Hilda's.

"Denise I'd like to talk to you a minute if you would"

She turned to me and said "I'd like that but there's some one I need you to meet first."

She turned back to the kids and called out to Amber. Amber came running over and took her mother's hand. Denise said "Amber do you remember when I told you that mommy was married but that my husband got mad at me and went away? Well Amber this is Greg. He and mommy are married at least for now and he's back to see us. Are you going to say hi to Greg sweety?"

Amber looked up at me with eyes the color of thick January lake ice. Not blue, not dark gray but a mix of both. Her hair was a yellowish orange and her skin like coffee with a lot of cream. At the time her finger was in her mouth and she had mud on her clothes. All she did was look at me with an almost angry expression on her face.

"Denise, I think we should get the divorce finalized."

The shock on her face was epic. Clearly not what she expected me to say.

The first words out of her mouth were "I don't want a divorce"

"Greg I still love you. I never stopped loving you. I never stopped needing you. I hurt you, you hurt me. I crawled into bottle over you, my soul bled over you, I would do anything for you except lose Amber. Please don't make her a reason."

"Denise, I don't want a divorce either but I don't want our old marriage. There's been too much betrayal, too much hurt, too much water under the bridge. I told you yesterday I've got a do over list. Most things on it are impossible but there's one or two I might be able to fix."

I reach in my pocket and got the solitaire in its box from Buskala's in Cloquet. I drop to one knee and take her hand.

"Denise, my life has been empty for too long. I've missed too many things, let my pride and my hurt take over. I'll be forever in your debt if you'll agree to be mine and mine alone for the rest of our lives. I want you bag and baggage Denise. Please marry me again."

Once again not what she expected. I thought she was going to faint. Her scream "yes" and the crying upset Amber. Amber said "you made mommy cry" and whacked me in the face. You know for a girl of 31 months she hits hard, I think I'm going to have a black eye. I guess the Logitha thing breeds true.

Post script

This story is ongoing, evolving. As things develop I'll add to it. Again this is not my story but that of some one I know. The best revenge is a life lived well, I'm hoping for these three...

12