Renting a Room Ch. 04

Story Info
A Call from Washington.
6.5k words
4.76
12.7k
10
0

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 11/30/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ch. 4 A Call from Washington

The next several days were busy at the lab and at the house, where Arthur and his crew were demolishing and replacing seventy-five year old utilities at a great rate. It turned out that Arthur also could deal with the wall problem, when they discovered it was not load bearing, and a deftly inserted glulam beam easily carried the ceiling sheetrock.

Aimee and Adrienne were in their element, supervising the cleaning and painting of the large room that had been created. One of Arthur's electricians was from a French family, and excited conversation from upstairs, all in French, caused much laughter in the kitchen.

Maggie put on her professor persona and instructed the tenants that their tenancy depended on getting good grades. "I am a former department chairwoman, and there would be a giant fuss if any of you stopped getting A's." I was lucky enough to be sitting in the living room recliner when five pairs of hands seized her to the carpet and attacked.

"You are treating us like we were still in high school. We are five against one and we won't allow it."

I realized Maggie had planned for the floor play. There wasn't a one of them that wasn't booking every night. I strode to the middle of the scrum, hoisted grandma to my shoulder and said, "Let's take this to the big bed."

Soon, it was pillows and bodies stripped to underwear and caterpillar behavior under the duvets. The twins sat on my chest and asked, "What is the problem with you and Melody?"

I bucked them off and pulled the long, lean Melody body across my lap. In a loud whisper, I said, "You and I are in trouble with the others. They are worried something is wrong."

I leaned against the headboard, with my hands under her bra.

Her voice was sultry. "He said he was anticipating sex with me. How long does that mean I have to wait?"

She nestled her head in my shoulder and turned to poke her tongue at me. I delivered a long, wet kiss.

Sharon said, "Maybe we should leave them to it," and started to get up.

Melody sat between my legs and said, "No, stay. He isn't going to do me tonight either."

There were disbelieving looks. I took my hands away and gently kissed her neck. She reached back and pulled my hair as hard as she could.

"I have decided I am not just a cheap lay. Maggie says new tenants get a new dress, so he is required to take me on a dressy date before there is any sex."

Everyone looked at the fantastic package so close to me and waited for a reaction. Melody didn't give them a chance. "I have also decided that chaperones are needed to protect me. Five chaperones, in fact."

A great roar went up, followed by cheers and clapping. I pushed her down on her side and gathered her to my front, kissing wherever I could.

She whispered in my ear, "So I'm not in trouble?"

"Terrible trouble." I tickled with both hands. She screamed and scrambled to the safety of the other women.

The twins chimed in. "This is good. The big order of pads and equipment is coming Saturday. If we work hard all day, the new room will be ready and we can celebrate with Melody's special date."

I crawled around, kissing and caressing and being handled. I grabbed Maggie last and pulled her close. "I don't have any more money than last time."

She giggled and laughed. "Why am I not surprised? This business of children moving back in is ruining me."

That brought another round of hilarity. Sharon and Valerie disappeared and returned a while later with hot chocolate. The atmosphere was as warm as the chocolate when the phone rang.

Sharon answered and listened. When she spoke, the voice was wicked, "Why Henry, it is so good to hear your voice. You are not interrupting, he is right here."

My girlfriend using first names with my professor? Good grief.

"Hello, you are calling to tell me the sensor died?"

"Scott, it's nothing like that. In fact, it is good news. Do you remember that grant application we all worked on last spring? There was a phone call this afternoon from Washington. They not only want to fund it, they want us to become the western center for seismic warning and put up a prototype network. Ten million over three years, and essentially a guaranteed renewal. We urgently need to discuss how to get organized to handle the windfall. Can you possibly come in at eight tomorrow? The Chair and the Dean are both going to be there."

"Oh, wow. Of course. This is incredible news."

"There's something else, I need to talk to Sharon for a moment."

I handed the phone to her, "He needs to talk to you." My scowl was deep.

For the next minute, all she said was, "Yes," or "I understand." Finally, "Thank you so much, I'll tell him."

She fell over, her face in a pillow, her body shaking with laughter. "Oh my god, you will never believe this!"

She turned over, still shaking. The pale yellow bikini briefs hid very little. The bra was skimpy and her nipples pushed out the thin fabric. She glanced around at everyone's faces, tense with curiosity. I was torn between jumping her and hearing the story.

"He spent the first part of that telling me what a fantastic woman I was. Then he said Scott was the smartest, most capable assistant he has ever had, and he hopes you will take the challenging job they are going to offer you in the morning. Finally, he apologized for flirting, and said he realized afterwards Scott was so in love with me that flirting was a bad idea and he wouldn't do it again."

Valerie said, "Can you believe it? Do you suppose this is the job Scott needs?"

Sharon, with a gleam in her eye, straddled my legs and said, "Lover, maybe you can afford me after all." She collapsed straight out and I held her tight. The others sighed.

This time, everyone did leave. Sharon was sniffling into my shoulder. "You big brute. Good things keep happening to us. Your horny professor even said he would behave."

I turned out the light and pulled the cover up. "I shouldn't tell you this, but I would have been amazed if he didn't put a move on you. You show up with that swimmer's body and start talking earthquakes with him. How could he resist?"

My thumb rubbed her front and she licked my ear. "You mean I'm just a little desirable?"

"Hmmm. He said you were a fantastic woman?"

"Yes, he did. So I am somewhere between desirable and fantastic?"

We wrestled back and forth, laughing. "We can't just go to sleep in here. I'm all wound up and can smell myself. You can have me in the shower if you want."

We soaped each other and she fondled my limp item. "You are thinking about tomorrow, aren't you?"

"How could I not? What do you suppose they have in mind?"

"Maybe you don't want to hear this, but your professor is awfully smart. I'll bet you will like their idea."

I realized at that moment how many careers are advanced by women like Sharon. Not even twenty-one and ready to cover my back. I didn't deserve her, but I'd gladly accept her love and support. We got our robes on and wandered around, checking in with the others. We sat next to Maggie, who was in Sharon's bed. She kissed my cheek and said, "Grandson, we just raised the energy level another notch tonight. I suppose we can't celebrate until we know more?"

I kissed her back, "Tomorrow can't come soon enough."

Next, we checked on Valerie and Melody. They were in bed together and Melody said, "Damn, we've been caught."

I ran my hand under the cover and pinched two luscious bare behinds. "Sharon, what are we going to do about the kinky things happening on the third floor?"

"We'd better not do anything, or Melody will have the tenant rights people from City Hall on us."

Melody ducked under the cover and giggled. Valerie rolled on her and wiggled. "God, this one is so much fun. And she hasn't even fucked the landlord yet!"

Valerie gave me a look and said, "She keeps asking me what sex with you is like."

Sharon poked her and asked, "What did you say?"

"That's classified information." She batted her eyes at us.

We left the third floor before things got any hotter.

The twins were tangled in a single lump of muscular arms and legs. Aimee said, "Sharon, that was so exciting in there. How are you going to get any sleep? Even we are excited."

I gathered them both in my arms and kissed here and there. "It also must be exciting to have your workout and practice room nearly complete?"

"Yes, yes." They leapt up and bounced on the bed, falling all over Sharon. "He's going to have a job and you are going to get married! And we get to practice right here! There is excitement everywhere in this house!"

The three of them rolled around, laughing and kissing. Finally, I grabbed Sharon out of the pile and said, "We have to leave or they will be up all night."

We did our teeth and crawled into bed. No pajamas. "I guess I'm stuck with you for tonight?"

"And a whole lot of nights after that."

"Hmmm. Wake me when the excitement is over."

* * *

We were in the Geology Department conference room a little after eight. Not everyone was wide awake at that hour, but Professor Tilton-Jones plunged right in. "Scott, this is one of those 'Be careful what you wish for' moments. We asked for support to develop the next generation of sensor, and we get a federal research initiative to do something about improving earthquake warning. There is a letter coming, but the award will require us to install and support a dozen sensors of a new design linked with a real time network, and software that will detect patterns of tremors that precede a serious earthquake. We need a project director yesterday. Someone with technical understanding of earthquakes, and the ability to organize and lead the project staff."

He looked down the table, "The Chair and I met with the Dean yesterday to canvass the faculty and staff for candidates. The qualified junior faculty are all on tenure track and can't afford to be diverted into the project right now. The older faculty who might be interested are not up to date on the technology. We realize that taking this on for several years involves choices in your life but wanted to make you a proposition. In return for a commitment to do this for three years, the department will grant you guaranteed admission to the PhD program at any time in the next five years."

I squirmed as three sets of eyes gazed at me. Partly to give me a moment to think, I said, "Will I have administrative support?"

Henry said, "Yes. There will be lots of paperwork and spreadsheets. We will create a position and you may fill it."

I answered them, "Is it possible for me to give you an answer tomorrow? I realize Washington is always in a hurry when they make up their mind, but twenty-four hours ought to be allowed?

Henry looked at the Chair and the Dean and said, "Of course. Call me in the morning."

He added, "Scott, you are right for this assignment. We didn't spend a lot of time looking at others. And, by the way, the project executive position carries a salary of one hundred fifty thousand."

I had taken the campus transit bus to the meeting, but decided to walk back. Not very long ago, Scott could have made this decision all by himself. Now, he had complications. A girlfriend who was still in school. A grandmother who gave him a house and liked his bed. The world's best group of smart, sexy tenants.

I walked in the kitchen, thoughts swirling. Maggie was there, making a cake. She looked up and smiled, "They romanced you, didn't they? Said you were the very best candidate. Put goodies on the table." She poured me a cup of coffee and said, "Sit and tell me. I used to recruit for the Modern Languages department."

"You're right, it is a very attractive offer. They've thrown in a guarantee of admission to the PhD program. The salary is one fifty."

She came around the counter and hugged me. "That's my smart grandson."

"Who is the cake for?"

"You. We are celebrating tonight, regardless of which choice you make."

She went on, "Scott, let's analyze the downside. The upside signals are good, but there is always a downside. This will lock you in to a demanding job for several years. Is it something you want to do? What if the project goes seriously wrong and your career is damaged? Can you survive federal research politics?"

I hoisted her into my lap and kissed her cheek. "Nothing is for certain, is it? Every step on the ladder has consequences."

She kissed me on the lips and whispered. "We all have faith in you. The brilliant, tough young guy in our lives."

"Yes, and I've got the smart, tough mature woman in my arms that will keep me out of trouble!"

Maggie was back to work on the cake when Sharon returned from grocery shopping. She saw Maggie's twinkling eyes and said, "So, it wasn't a disaster?" She wrapped herself around my back and hugged.

"Maggie was just giving me the benefit of her wisdom about upsides and downsides of offers."

"Are you going to accept?"

"Not until you tell me it is ok."

I pulled her around my front and she said, "You bum, you are making me cry."

Maggie said, "Go in the living room and talk. I will come in when the cake is ready for the oven."

I described the offer and Sharon said, "We could still live here, couldn't we?"

We kissed and I joked, "I thought your parents wouldn't let you marry the landlord?"

She whispered, "They will be so impressed that I am engaged to a research project director."

Her eyes were soft and wet. "We are engaged, aren't we? You can afford to get me a ring?"

Maggie walked in and said, "I told you there would be a ring one day soon."

"But Maggie, this is so sudden. One day we are laughing about finding him a job, and the next he has one!"

Sharon was laid out across our laps, a big smile plastered to her face. Maggie worked on her bare feet, and I applied quick little kisses.

"While we are here, I would like your advice about something. Valerie still has to choose a major. It's strange, because she is so organized about other things. What if I hire her half time as the project administrator, and the other half is in the undergraduate program at the business school?"

Sharon said, "That is a fabulous idea. She could keep living here too."

After a long kiss, I said, "Will you cut class if I take you ring shopping this afternoon?"

She jumped into my arms, "Heaven's no. Maggie said we must be serious students."

Grandmother scooted over and got kisses too. "You are excused, if you promise to bring home champagne as well."

Maggie took me to one side before we left and said, "Do not skimp on the ring. I will advance what you need. Find a one or two caret stone and do it right."

Walking to the car, Sharon asked, "Do we know where we are shopping?"

"Don't girls have this all planned out in advance?"

At seven that evening, with everyone in dresses and heels, Maggie poured champagne and said, "All right, Scott, do your thing."

I got down on my knee in front of Sharon, who was giving me a teary smile, and asked, "Sharon, will you marry me?"

"Yes, I will. I certainly will."

In the background of a long, tender kiss was clapping and cheering.

I opened the little deep blue box and carefully placed the sparkling ring on her finger. Lots more noise in the background to go with another kiss.

* * *

Early the next morning, after a very loving night with Sharon, I climbed quietly to the third floor with fresh coffee. They were still sound asleep. I sat on the floor next to the bed and waited for the coffee aroma to work. One of the bodies moved, and then the other. A head poked up, with hair in her eyes. I stared intently.

"What's going on, what's wrong?"

I offered a cup of coffee. Melody sat up, eyes squinting. A shaft of sun from the window lay across her rosy breasts. She caught me gazing at them and said, "He has a bad look, but is offering coffee."

Valerie peeked around her bedmate. The pile of gorgeous hair, completely tangled, was affecting me. "Definitely trouble. He is trying to soften us up."

They sat on the edge of the bed, eyes curious. "Are you just here to look at naked girls?"

"I could sit here and look at you for a long time."

"Aren't you supposed to be at school, learning about your new job?"

"I am here with news for both of you. First, and this is from Sharon for Melody. She says just because I am now engaged to her doesn't mean the two of us aren't supposed to have sex some time soon."

I watched the blush spread and the nipples stiffen. She slid off the bed into my arms and whispered so Valerie could hear, "She got me off last night telling me how glorious your cock is. We can still have that date I asked for? Sharon won't be mad?"

I knew she could feel me through my shorts. I thumbed her tits and whispered back, "Let's try for tonight. If I don't get crossed up at the department, I'll make a reservation. You better head out yourself. Let me talk to Valerie."

Valerie looked down at me with a half smile. "We are going to talk, with me naked and sitting up here?"

"It feeds your feminist streak, doesn't it?"

"Don't remind me. Get up here and let me lie in your arms. This must be bad news. I'm being thrown out?"

I was against the wall and she did her cuddle thing. "That's a beautiful ring you got Sharon. Am I ever going to find a guy to give me one of those?"

I kissed her head and said, "I'm here to talk about that, sort of. You know this undeclared major business?"

"Yes. It is still a problem. Lying in your arms thinking about loving and sex isn't helping."

"I think I might have a solution. You are the most organized of all the women. You think ahead. What if I hired you half time to be my assistant on the project, and helped you declare an undergraduate major in the business school?"

She froze in my arms, then leapt to the floor, screaming loudly, "Really?"

I nodded and she danced around the room. "OMG, OMG," and dashed downstairs.

I could hear more screaming from the kitchen as Melody came from the shower, drying her hair and pushing me down. She pressed her breast to my mouth and asked, "What did you do to the poor woman?"

I gave the tip of it several licks and stood. "I think she likes the idea of working for me and getting a degree in business at the same time."

Her tongue explored my mouth. "You sure give good career advice. Maybe we need to talk about me on that date." She reached down and found him hard. "God, I'm going to be wet all day wanting you."

I laughed and stepped away. "I'm not done appreciating you. Look at the body, standing here fresh from the shower. Sunlight and shadow and tight curves." I rubbed and pinched her bottom.

She leaned down and glanced back. "What about a quickie?"

I swatted her rump hard and ran out.

* * *

Henry was at Parkfield today, but Emily, the long time department secretary, intercepted me, saying that she was responsible for finding out what I had decided.

I smiled mysteriously and asked if I could buy her a latte. She poked her finger at my chest and said, "Scott Anderson, I'll be happy to have a latte with you down on the terrace. But just because you are a muscle bound football player, I don't want to see any shenanigans. I know your grandmother, and will report you." Her smile was wide.

We sat in the warm morning sun and I asked, "Have you survived the beginning of term crunch?"

She looked at me suspiciously. "Since when is a macho research assistant worried about the oppressed department secretary?"

"I need advice. Maggie sends her regards and says you know everything about research grants. I need to know whether I should take this new project director job."

Her eyes widened and she took a long sip of her drink. "I'll be damned, someone asking my advice." She looked at me for a minute, and said, "Nothing is certain, but this new project is exciting. There will be oodles of publicity. If you don't screw it up, and you get that doctorate, you could be an instant tenured Associate Professor in any of the best departments."

12