Restoring the Castle Ch. 02

Story Info
The Castle
5.9k words
4.58
11.2k
3

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 10/19/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
olivias
olivias
36 Followers

She had just cleared past the grape vines of the Mountain Castle winery and knew she was back on her mother's land for the first time in nearly seven years.

Ally stopped on the side of the narrow, winding, graveled road up into the mountains in a fold between the southern slope of Mount Marshall and a shorter mountain called The Peak, northwest of the small town of Washington. This quaint little hamlet on the verge between northern Virginia's hunt country and the Blue Ridge mountains wasn't the nation's capital Washington; it was a town also named Washington, but often called "Little Washington," with the distinction of being the first town to name itself after the first U.S. president.

It was only the small strip of land the road was on, though, that was her mother's land from the lane at the bottom of the mountain right up to the lower edge of the castle's front lawn. The Shenandoah National Park had slowly acquired all of the land around the small plateau the castle stood on so that it now encroached on all sides. The park had been after Miranda Templeton to donate or sell her land for decades, but, stubborn in nearly all things, Miranda had refused to even talk to them about it. Ally assumed that one day the government would just seize the land by right of eminent domain. She hoped her mother was gone before then, or there surely would be homicides involved.

She stepped out of the rental car and moved, with the aid of a cane, around to the hood. Initially, her eyes went anywhere but up the slope to where, from here, the first full glimpse of the castle could be seen. Her own car, a BMW convertible, could have been gotten out of storage as soon as she'd arrived back in Washington, D.C. The State Department would have permitted that and then would have put it back in storage at its expense if she wanted if she went out on another foreign assignment. State had been great about everything. But Ally didn't want to do anything yet that moved toward a decision on her future having been made.

She wanted to take no steps toward permanence until she could work out in her mind where to go from here. Chad had been her decision on where to go. Thanks probably to her mother's strong attitudes on the topic, Chad had been the first man Ally had been intimate with—had even been let through her intellectual and emotional shell to any extent. When she had committed to him, she had jettisoned all that had been her before. Now that he was gone, she felt totally empty. She needed to reinvent herself again. She wasn't really sure how to even start doing that—or what direction to do it in. She was still in shock.

She'd been back a month, moving from Sibley Hospital, thanks to the arrangements that State had made, to a rehab facility, and then to a bedroom in a colleague's house in Arlington. She knew she couldn't stay there indefinitely, though. Only now, when she'd been given a clean bill of health, as long as she continued with a rehab regime for her leg at home, had she rented a car and driven into the northern Virginia countryside—not more than twenty-five miles from where she had been staying—to check up on her mother and the castle.

She didn't know where she'd be staying tonight. She didn't even know where her mother was. She hadn't called her since the bombing. She hadn't been able to while she was in the hospital and being rehabilitated, and when she'd returned to the States she always seemed on the cusp of coming to see her mother face to face rather than calling. More significantly, her mother hadn't contacted her either. The doctor had said it was simple smoke inhalation that her mother had suffered from this latest fire. She should have recovered from that now. Surely State had contacted Miranda about Ally's condition. But she hadn't called. Such was the relationship between the two that this was exactly the sort of situation in which neither could think of what to say to the other.

Ally thought she knew the major reason her mother hadn't contacted her. It was the second serious fire. Ally had refused to come back to the castle after the second fire. She'd had left no uncertainty about being livid that her mother wouldn't give up her dangerous smoking habits. They had frequently met in New York City while Ally was working on Broadway play sets there after graduate school and then later, in Washington, D.C., when Ally had taken and passed the Foreign Service exam, but the meetings were always away from the castle.

Although they'd made up since that first fire, Ally had been furious that her mother had burned out the part of the castle Ally had lived in—and had let her mother know in no uncertain terms how she felt. It had been the first time Ally had spoken to her mother that way. The two women had been inseparable before that. Ally was thirty-six; she hadn't been a child for some time. Indeed, under her mother's wing and in her mother's swirling world of symphonies and international travel, Ally had never been a child. There had been no separation at all between them until Ally went off to study drama, and specifically set design, at Wellesley. And even after having taken her masters from Columbia following that, Miranda had been intimately involved in Ally's decisions to work on Broadway for a few years and then to go with the State Department to work in its cultural affairs department. It had only been Miranda's burning of the castle that second time that had begun to open a chasm between them—which had only widened when Ally told Miranda about Chad. And now there had been yet another fire Miranda had caused.

Miranda hadn't reacted well to Ally having found a man to love. Not at all well. Over the past month, Ally had even wondered whether the latest fire had been at least a subconscious signal by her mother on the impending change in Ally's marital status.

Steeling herself, Ally found the strength to look up the slope at the castle. From this distance it looked intact. The fires hadn't destroyed the stucco-covered stone façade. It was only by looking more closely that Ally could see the blank stares of the glassless windows, which, in several places, no longer opened onto a roof-covered interior. She had purposely stopped here to look at the castle, and to squint her eyes in doing so. She could only take the ruination of it in degrees.

They called it the castle, although it did have a name—Banffy. And it wasn't really a castle in dimensions. It had been constructed as a scaled-down replica of a real castle in Transylvania. The larger, grander—but not more impressive; most certainly not in location—Transylvanian version had begun construction in 1437 and was built for one of the most prominent and powerful families in Transylvania for many centuries, the Banffys, whose patriarchs regularly were appointed as governors of the region. It began life as a typical stronghold bastion, but as wars became more sophisticated and organized, it was turned into a Baroque palace in the mid eighteenth century. Extensive renovations were undertaken to expand it and modify it into the Gothic Revival style in the mid nineteenth century.

This was the point at which the Virginia version of Banffy was conceived and executed. One of the architects on the nineteenth-century renovation of the Transylvanian version, Stephen Monyer, immigrated to Virginia. Looking for someplace that would remind him of the topography of Transylvania, he settled on the mid slope of the 3,300-foot-high Mount Marshall at the northern end of the Blue Ridge Mountains. His Virginia version was faithful to the redone Gothic Revival style of the original in every way except for scale. It was a hidden gem, tucked away in the folds of the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge, the heights of which had been taken over by the federal government in the 1920s to carve out a national park extending from northern Virginia down to the Smokies in Georgia. The string of mountaintops was crowned by both a top-of-the-world parkway, named the Skyline Drive in the northern section and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the south, and a section of the Appalachian hiking trail that went from the far north to the far south of the country's eastern coast.

Previous owners of the American version of the castle, all generational members of the Monyer families, had stubbornly rebuffed the government's attempts to add the Banffy acreage to the park until the last of the Monyers had died, when the federal government was no longer budgeting for such acquisitions. Now everyone had more or less forgotten there was a castle hidden on the southern slope of Mount Marshall. Miranda Templeton had only heard about the castle when she was visiting friends in the town of Washington at the foot of the mountain. It was a time when she was looking for a retreat, if not necessarily a castle, as well as a time when she had inherited money to indulge herself in a remembrance of the many years she had traveled with symphony orchestras in Europe. So, she bought Banffy castle and devoted years to restoring the gardens—and, incrementally burning out the interior of the castle in unintentional acts of forgetfulness and in having only slapdash repairs made that moved her into ever-smaller habitable areas of the building.

It had been the news reports of the first fire that had alerted the park officials to the unfinished business of land acquisition on the side of Mount Marshall. After a few years of unsuccessfully working on Miranda to donate or sell, though, they had given up their interest yet again.

The building had never really been able to claim full habitability even during the three years Ally had lived there with her mother before going off to Wellesley. After the first fire, they essentially lived in two rooms and a kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms, Miranda's study, and a bath upstairs. But the rooms they did live in were elegantly outfitted and maintained. Ally had been there long enough, however, to be smitten by the minor grandeur and unique beauty of the building; the gardens, that her mother lovingly restored and maintained; and the quiet, private mountain beauty of its location. She had always dreamed of restoring the castle interior fully one day. But her mother's smoking habit and her eccentric willingness to "make do" had made that day an ever-more-remote possibility.

Ally returned to the driver's seat and started the car on its steep, hairpin-curved drive up to Banffy. As she drove, she tried—unsuccessfully—not to look at the castle as its ruination became increasingly apparent. Thus it was that, as she drew closer, she saw the tail end of a red truck disappear on a track into the forest at the upslope side of the property. It was only a glimpse, but it arrested her attention because she knew that the track went nowhere—or at least had gone nowhere when she'd lived here. Trekkers on the Appalachian Trail sometimes found their way down this track from the summit of Mount Marshall to be flabbergasted at coming out into the formal gardens of a small castle ruins, but vehicles couldn't get far on it now. It was part of an old, disused fire trail that had become overgrown and impassable even for jeeps.

She brought the rental car to a stop short of a yellow caution tape that had been strung in front of the castle—probably after the most recent fire. She could have gone on, as the tape was down on the ground across the driveway, but she didn't, almost as if she welcomed the instruction not to come closer to the structure.

Her heart ached as she sat there and looked at what had become of Banffy. On this, the front façade, both stories of the building were just a shell. She laughed a low, ironic laugh when it occurred to her that her home now closely resembled the palace it was modeled on—more than it had for a very long time. The Transylvania Banffy Castle had been gutted in World War II and only now was starting to be restored. Wouldn't it be something, she thought, if the two were being restored at the same time?

As she got out of the car, having worked up the courage to go inside and see what, if anything still existed, she heard the crunch of tires on the gravel of the mountain driveway. Turning, she saw that it was a sheriff's car. So, she stood by the fender of her car and waited for the other vehicle to come to a stop near her. Out of the cruiser, taking his time getting his bulk out from behind the steering wheel, emerged a florid-faced, bullet-headed, middle-aged man who Ally reasoned must be the local sheriff. No one else on the sheriff's staff would have been permitted to let themselves go to pot like this and still keep their job. In this county, she knew, the sheriff was elected—and anyone was free to run for the job.

The man walked around to the passenger side of his cruiser, but still a good six yards from where Ally stood. He tipped his hat and said, "Good day, miss. I'm Sheriff Ed Shiflet. Is there something I can help you with? This here is restricted property, I'm afraid."

"It's OK, sheriff. I'm Ally Templeton, the owner's daughter—well, a co-owner of the property. I've just now returned to Virginia to see what has happened here."

"Miranda Templeton's daughter? I wasn't aware Ms. Templeton had any children. As I said, this is restricted property—and the building there ain't real safe. The folks down at the winery saw your car go by and called me. I've been up a couple of times on vandalism calls in the last couple of weeks."

"I really am Miranda Templeton's daughter and a co-owner of this property. If it's OK for me to go into my purse, I can show you my license."

Shiflet nodded his head slightly, but he watched Ally like a hawk, one hand on the butt of the gun he had in an unfastened holster at his side. Ally had the sensation that she had stumbled into the gunfight at the OK Corral, and she almost giggled at the thought of this sloven man, with his belly flopping over his belt, as a movie gunslinger.

Handing her license back, the sheriff simply said, "OK, then. As I said, I didn't realize that Ms. Templeton had any children."

"Mother isn't too open about her life."

"Don't I know it," the sheriff said. There was nothing in his tone that should have given offense, and he wasn't saying anything that wasn't the truth, but Ally's irritation welled up inside her and she felt herself going on the offensive. Which was a surprise to her. She didn't often feel the need to defend her mother. Her mother didn't often need help defending herself.

"I was just checking on the castle," she said, turning from Shiflet so he couldn't see her frown. "I've been overseas—with an embassy—and I heard about the fire but had no idea how extensive the damage was."

"If you ask me, what it needs is a couple of sticks of dynamite to bring down whatever hasn't collapsed on its own. It ain't safe and it ain't exactly in keeping with the countryside around here. Bet you could strike a deal with the government to sell it to them for park land. It's almost completely surrounded by the national park as it is."

Thinking back later, that was probably the very first inkling Ally had that she wouldn't be taking the building down—or selling or giving it to the park. Just from what the sheriff said and how he'd said it, she knew that she had come back to restore the castle—to make it better than her mother had ever done. She'd have to get someone else for the gardens, but she'd see to the house herself. Everyone would say she couldn't do it, but she was her mother's daughter. That would be just the challenge she'd need to get it done. She was good with construction and tools. That too very few would believe who just looked at her, who didn't know her. But she'd majored in set design, and not just in drawing them. She had learned how to build them, and she'd loved doing so. What she couldn't do herself, she could contract out.

All of this flashed through her mind in an instant. She had zoned out on what the sheriff was saying completely.

"I suggest you tell Ms. Templeton that—your mother. We can't have deputies coming up here on every suspicious call. We'll have to start sending bills on that. And it won't be long before I should be filing reports that will get the judge to order a condemnation notice on the structure. It ain't safe. Some fool of a vandal is gonna get his neck broke in there, and the papers will be saying it's my department's fault. So you tell your mother—"

"I don't even know where my mother is, sheriff. I just got back in the country and I haven't heard anything from her since the fire. Do you have any idea where she is?"

"As far as I know, she's down at Lois Aylor's farm outside Washington. Lois is the one that pulled her out of the fire, and she's the one that's been watchin' over your mother for a year or more."

"Watching over my mother? I wasn't aware she needed watching over."

"You haven't talked to her for some time, have you?" There was a glint of victory in his eye, as if he still wasn't convinced that Ally was Miranda's daughter—that he wanted to catch her up in some misstep on that claim. But rather than either of them getting into that territory any further, he returned to his previous concern. "When you see her, you tell her that it's time for that eyesore to come down. Never has fit in around here, and I'm tired of all the happenings connected with it."

"The happenings connected with it?"

"I've had my eye on this place for years, yes I have. It's always been a worry in the back of my head. And don't think I haven't had my eye on that mother of yours too. There's been men disappearing up around here. And never be'in seen again or any reason found out."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Well, for starters you could ask Lois Aylor about whatever happened to that husband of hers—that Felix Aylor that your mother fought so hard with. But I don't really have time to jaw about here. I suggest you not try going in there, and you tell Ms. Templeton what I said, you hear?—or get Ms. Aylor to at least try to get that through to her. And if you're a co-owner as you claim, I suggest you need to get something done before the judge loses his patience."

Ally said nothing; she just stood there looking at the sheriff with a deadpan expression on her face, but her mind was racing trying to make out half of what he had been saying, as he wedged himself back under the wheel of his car, took off at gravel-screeching speed back down the hairpin curves, and disappeared between the stands of grape vines at the edge of the Templeton property.

After a minute of trying to control her anger and clear her mind, Ally turned and marched toward the bleak façade of the castle. No hick of an elected country sheriff was going to tell her she couldn't enter her own home.

* * * *

Passing through the front door was like entering a war zone. In the house as Ally had known it, you entered through a one-story entrance hall, to a two-story grand foyer in the center of the main structure with a double curved staircase floating up to second-floor balconied walkways on all four sides. It had been built of stone, so the staircase was still there. But it just led up to open sky now where there had once been an ornate copper cage with stained-glass inserts. The downstairs rooms they had lived in were shotgunned to the back of the building behind double doors that were no longer there. First was a double parlor that was a scaled-down version of the ballroom in the original castle. The base of a circular tower led off at the front corner of the room. They had called this the music room; her mother's Petrof grand piano had been positioned in the center of the circular tower floor before she burned the sweet-sounding instrument to a crisp. Beyond that was a large, formal dining room. And then came the room Ally and her mother had virtually lived in, which was an enormous kitchen, large enough to include a living area off of it, centered around a fireplace with a Franklin stove insert. In the winter, this had heated that room, which was the only livable portion of the castle in cold weather.

olivias
olivias
36 Followers
12