Rifts Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Belladonna looked at herself and said, "What? I put everything on."

"You forgot the night wing," said Pink pointing to the clothe.

"The night, what?" said Belladonna, truly befuddled.

Wind Runner had moved closer and communicated, "It a very special living cloak. It's symbiotic. You've been wrapped in it for several days, so I'm sure it's used to you. Put it on and when you draw up the cowl, you'll turn invisible."

Looking truly amazed at this, Belladonna said, "No way! That's so cool."

The Emirin inquired to everyone, "What is she saying? It's not cold."

She reached down and picked up the night wing. Examining it closer, she saw a tiny mouth at the back of the collar. She put it on and felt it tighten slightly around her neck and adjust its length to her size. She then winced as she felt a brief stab of pain at the back of her neck. "Oh," said exclaimed.

She heard Wind Runner in her mind saying, "That's the night wing establishing contact."

She then heard a soothing female voice in her mind purr, "Greetings, mistress. I am Shadow and I am at your service."

"Oh wow! Hey everyone," said Belladonna truly amazed, "It's talking to me in my head, like Wind Runner does."

She marveled as the hem of the cloak and the sleeves all changed to match her size and frame.

"I hate to break up all of your fun, little pink skin," growled the wolf, "But we need to leave this place."

He turned to Grond and Wind Runner, "If you're going to pilfer the bodies for any usable equipment, do it know."

Wind Runner tensed as if to begin a protest, but Pink cut him off with, "He's right, Runner. You know he is," she sounded very tired and she was beginning to have difficulty maintaining a hover.

"Come on, Grond," broadcast the Emirin, "Let's get this done."

They turned and headed into the surrounding woods. Strider continued his watch and Pink weakly flitted over the Belladonna. "I need to rest. Can I ride on you," she weakly asked.

"Absolutely," she responded, "It's the least I can do, seeing you saved my life."

Pink landed on her shoulder and breathed a sigh of relief, "Nothing like nearly getting fried by a Coalition blaster, to ruin your whole day. Pixies here are tough, but that was about my limit," and she went onto explain, "Luckily, I saw him. Without that armor and the night wing, you would have been toast."

"Where are my manners," she began, "I'm Belladonna, but you can call me Bell for short."

She turned her head to see that Pink was smiling weakly. "It's going to be fun having another girl around. Now, Runner and Grond can't gang up on me," said as she moved to wrap herself in the collar of the night wing.

Bell walked over to Strider. She felt tiny next to the huge Wolfen. "My name is Belladonna," she began.

He turned and looked down at her and grunted. "We'll talk later," he growled and returned to scanning the surrounding woods.

A few minutes later Grond came back carrying several energy weapons over his shoulder, by their straps. Wind Runner was ambling by his side and told them, "It was a Coalition HK unit alright. A few human and several dog boys. I took out the psi-nullifier and that's what turned the tide around."

"Bad dogs," growled Grond.

Bell began, "What's an ...," but was cut off by Strider.

"Save your questions," he said, "We need to move."

He formed a step with his hands and said, "Here climb onto my shoulder," and then to Wind Runner said, "I suggest we abandon stealth for a while and move with speed. The woman and pixie can ride on me. We'll move until dawn and then find a place to conceal ourselves."

Wind Runner broadcast to them, "I hate to admit he's right. Okay, cyber knight, lead on."

Bell stepped onto Striders hands and he easily hoisted her onto his shoulder. She found comfortable seating on his shoulder plate and then she grabbed hold of his cloak.

He said with a grin, "I would suggest you hang-on, little pink skin," and he set off at a run.

Taken off guard, Bell exclaimed, "Holy shit," and grabbed the cloak tighter.

After they were running for a while she said, "You know my name is Bell or you can call me Belladonna. It's your choice," and then interjected, "How would you like it if someone called you a dog?"

Strider growled, but Bell cut him off by saying, "That's how 'Pink Skin' sounds to me."

"Point taken," said the wolfen.

The landscape was flying by. They dodged among the trees at a steady pace. After several hours, the trees gave way to open countryside and Strider widened his steps, taking off at a full run. She looked over her shoulder and saw that Wind Runner and Grond were keeping pace for a while, but then the distance started widening.

"Strider, slow up," said Bell, "We're losing the others."

He stopped and dropped to one knee and let the others catch-up. Soon, Wind Runner caught up and Grond followed, panting.

Strider pointed to the southeast and said, "We've made good progress. I estimate we moved 50-klicks from the site of the attack. There are woods over there. Let's make it into them and we'll stop."

"Grond ... likes ... that," said the ogre, his massive chest heaving.

Wind Runner nodded his head in quiet accent.

Bell noticed that Pink was asleep. She smiled down at the little pixie. Rest was exactly what she needed right now. She gripped Strider's shoulder as he stood and then took off at a little slower run, so the others could keep up with him.

"Bell," he asked, "Use your abilities to scan the woods. I would prefer not having another fight on our hands."

She put a hand to her temple to concentrate, muttered the incantation and then said, "Vitae."

Other than the aura of small animals that began scampering away at their approach, Bell could detect nothing that would pose a threat to them.

"Nothing significant or important," she said.

"Good," came his reply as he began slowing down.

They stopped at the edge of the woods to allow Grond to catch his breath. They then proceeded with care into the woods and they moved for an additional hour before settling on a safe area to establish a camp.

Bell instructed Grond he needed to speak quietly, so that Pink could continue to sleep and that she needed her rest, to get better. While he nodded his head emphatically and promised he would be as quiet as he could, she moved the little pixie from her shoulder to cradling her in her arms. Strider set a watch and instructed Wind Runner and Grond to get some rest.

"what about me," asked Bell.

"What about you," growled the wolfen.

"I can help too," she said.

"To prevent insulting you again, I won't laugh at your suggestion," he growled.

"I'm not tired. I've been riding the whole time," she pointed out and said, "Can I at least sit with you for a while. We can talk."

"Fine, but if you communicate, do so telepathically," he advised tapping the side of his head, continuing, "I am able to so and I understand you are as well."

"A-okay," she broadcast.

After sitting in silence for nearly an hour, she communicated, "You don't talk much do you."

"I don't need to. I let my actions speak for me," came his response as he continued to scan the woods.

"God! Why are you so damned, stiff," she nearly yelled psionically.

"I am Wolfen," he sent, "You humans will never understand what that means."

"You sound like a fucking Klingon," she mentally shot back at him.

"You insult me, again," as he turned and glared at her, with teeth barred.

She swallowed to calm herself and then continued, "Not at all. Where I come from there is this visual entertainment called science fiction and there is this show called 'Star Trek.' There is a race called Klingons."

They then had a long telepathic conversation concerning the Klingons, their society and how it was based on a strict honor code.

"They sound like aa admirable people, for non-Wolfen," communicated Strider.

"Where do you come from," asked Bell.

"Far to the north and west. In the high plains and mountains," he shared, "Our capital Tribe Meet is built on the ruins of a human city. I think its name was Col-Gary."

"Calgary. As in Calgary, Alberta," she in a telepathic shout.

"Yes. I believe so," the Wolfen broadcast to her. "It was destroyed many years ago in the Rifts War. We found it after coming here ourselves and cleaned-out the demons and monsters that lived there. It's been years since I've seen it."

"Were you born here or did you come through a rift," she asked.

"I was one of the first of my tribe born in this new, strange land," was his response. He paused and then looked her directly in the eye and communicated, "We need to talk. The power you wield is not your own and I have questions concerning your benefactor."

Belladonna's whole demeanor changed and stared back at him with a defiant smirk and said coolly, "By all means."

Before he could react, she snapped her fingers and said, ""Sanctum."

Suddenly, they were engulfed in a glowing cube of energy several meters to a side.

Bell stood and with one hand dusted off her bottom, while holding the still sleeping pixie. "There, we have some privacy," she said, but it wasn't her voice. It was that of Zha-Ying.

Strider leapt to his feet, "What's the meaning of this," he shouted.

"Jar-El, you wanted some privacy to talk. I merely obliged," came the response."

The Wolfen bristled, "How dare you use my true name. You have no right."

Bell rolled her eyes and the Lizard Mage spoke, "Oh, yes. Your precious Wolfen honor. Horrors!"

Strider stepped forward with his hand up, ready to bring out his psi-sword.

"I wouldn't do that," said the lizard's voice as Bell raised a hand, "Destroy this vessel and all hope of saving your precious empire and clans goes with it."

To make his point, Bell smirked a condescending smile.

Just then Pink stirred and said something in her sleep.

Bell looked down at her and said in her own quiet voice, "It's okay Pink you're safe. Go back to sleep."

She then set her on the ground next to the tree. When she looked back at Strider, Zha-Ying's voice spoke.

"Jar-El," emphasizing the name, "We've had our run-ins over the past several years, but I'm willing to let by-gones, be by-gones. If you choose to not accept this help, your people will all die and your vaunted wolfen honor will mean nothing! You will become a pathetic footnote in the history of this world."

"I have a certain score to settle at the same time," Bell smiled, "It's a win-win situation for both of us. I'll share the information with eventually, but you need to convince the others to go to New Markeen. There are some items that an employee of mine at the Majestic Inn has. Belladonna will find them useful in your journey."

Before Strider could reply, the cube collapsed and Bell slumped to the ground unconscious.

-----

"What the fuck was that about," Bell demanded.

She was in the inner sanctum standing before the Lizard Mage with her hands on her hips. Zha-Ying was sitting in the highbacked chair smiling at her.

"I thought this was a partnership," she exclaimed.

"Oh, it is my dear. You assumed it was equal. It's probably 60-40. My 60-percent, your 40," he said smiling.

"Now," he said like a teacher instructing a preschooler, "When the time comes, I will let you know the information Jar-El needs. You are to call him only by Strider. Now, go back to him."

As she closed her eyes, she felt like she was a mouse, but she told herself she was going to find some way out of this trap.

12