Rise and Fall of Heroes Ch. 01

Story Info
A story based on DC/Charlton comics, laced with Watchmen.
3.2k words
4.2
4k
2
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Synopsis: In a world of anthropomorphic animal people and superheroes, a team of heroes will gather to protect their city, and their country, from the forces of evil. In Valiant City, the Power Squadron has protected the area for years. Sadly, because of recent exploits and exaggerative propaganda from the media, the government is planning on blacklisting the superhero community throughout the country and they are on the verge of being forced into retirement. However, the Power Squadron continues their vigilante activities, but when a hailstorm of threats arose—old threats, new threats, the social media, and the government—the superheroes must ban together and fight back before their world changes forever.

Note: the world of RFH is based on DC/Charlton comics, but with elements of Watchmen, Wildstorm, and Kingdom Come. Also aspects of Jay Naylor's furry themes are in as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Enigma's Log. November 25th 2016. The city smells of decay and corruption, falling apart from the decisions made by the crooked politicians who cheat their way into city hall. I have been standing over a ledge for three hours, examining the area for any signs of trouble...'

Standing over the ledge of a tall apartment building, I was writing in a small blue journal while gazing away from it every minute. There was still nothing happening. It was a slow day for patrol in the vicinity. Closing the book, I slipped it into my blue Milford coat and moved to the next building a block away. I stopped and resumed writing.

Not many cars out. It's too late for that. However, there are a lot of people walking out to do God-knows-what and going to God-knows-where, and a lot of streetwalkers are ready to cater. You can blame the lefty bureaucrats for their economic dilemma.

I stopped for a few minutes. I pulled my small night vision goggles up from the eyeholes of my ski mask, rubbing my tired eyes to get rid of the fatigue. Suddenly, I heard a loud scream close by. Putting my journal back in and my goggles back on, I dashed as fast as I could.

"Hrmm..."

I stopped and looked down over an alleyway. I saw a young poodle woman being harassed by three bulldog men, watching them grab her and touch her in certain places. That was something I couldn't tolerate. I leaped and grabbed the rail of a nearby fire escape, ricocheting myself off the walls until I landed right in front of the thugs.

"What the hell?! Who the hell are you?!" said the leader.

"Oh god! It's one of those superhero freaks!" the second thug pointed out.

Clenching my fists, I spoke in a deep, monotonous manner, "Tell me. What gives you three the right to harm a defenseless woman? Are the police so incompetent that they can't arrest you, or do your parents don't give a damn about what you do? That is the enigma of that scenario." I then pointed at the three at the end of the sentence.

I turned my attention to the woman. She was terrified and was trembling, crying softly as her mascara trailed down her face.

The leader of the group took out a switchblade from his pocket and sneered. "Let's get him! There's only three of us, and one of him! He doesn't stand a chance!"

However, right when the leader charged, I held my fists up and was ready to fight. I quickly dodged and only received a small cut on my sleeve, feeling a slight tolerable sting as the blade grazed me. Then I slammed my southpaw against the bulldog's face and sending him flying three feet away. The other thugs watched and became furious seeing their leader taken down so easily. They moved away from the girl and sprinted with their fists cocked back.

I ducked and thrust my fist into the second thug's stomach before sending an uppercut. The third bulldog, however, and able to land a punch against my face and sent me stepping backwards. Luckily, it wasn't very effective as I was still standing. Then I retaliated. Right when the third bulldog was about to charge again, I slammed my foot into his chest, watching him collapse while hearing him wheeze as the air was knocked out of his lungs.

All three of them were taken out and I proceeded to the girl who was shivering with her back against the wall. I picked up my fedora that fell on the alleyway floor and then the woman's purse before handing it back to her.

"It's okay, miss. Everything's going to be okay. You're safe," I assured the woman. I tried to sound as calm as possible, which was a difficulty for me to do.

Instead of thanking me, the poodle took her purse and ran away, becoming terrified by my stature and screamed in terror. All I could do was grunt and didn't bother going after her. I knew not everyone was appreciative of my work and I couldn't fix that. Sauntering out of the alleyway, I left the three thugs behind, hearing them groan in pain and didn't bother checking if I inflicted severe damage onto them. Instead, I would just let the police, or anyone who found them, handle it.

I reached into my pockets and pulled out a pen and a flashcard, sketching an "E" on the front and throwing it onto the ground. It was a good thing I was wearing black gloves the whole time. I didn't want the cops to trace my actions back to home, which would be a real mess for me.

I placed my hands in my jacket pockets as I walked down the street. I walked past a hooker who offered me company for only 80$. She even showed me her breasts, but then gave me the finger as I walked away.

'Enigma's log. November 25th 2016. Took out three thugs who assaulted a helpless woman. They were nothing. All bark, no bite. Held back as much as I could. If they were a serious threat, then I would have done much worse. Saved woman, but she left screaming. That happens most of the time. That's where the city, and the country, is coming to. Hasn't recovered since the Great Regression thanks to President Mondale's incompetence in fixing the economy before all went to hell. Fortunately, President Dole was able to undo most of the damage Mondale had committed, which is where we come in. we try are best in fixing our city, but I'm starting to have my doubts.'

I looked at my watch on my right hand. I noticed how late it was and I decided to go home. Walking into another alleyway, I reached into my coat and pulled out a grappling hood gun that looked like it was fashioned out of old pipes and wires onto a piece of wood. I aimed and fired, hearing the hook clenched onto a ledge and began climbing on the rope. After retracting the hook, I began running towards the end of town until I reached a red apartment building. I snuck through the window before closing and locking it behind me.

Letting out a sigh, I took off my hat, scarf, and mask, throwing them on my bed and hung my coat up on my bedroom door. Then I turned and stared at the mirror, looking at my bobcat face before combing my short black hair through his fingers. My gallivanting nights had been taking a toll on me, becoming restless as my eyes hung half-open. However, I had no time to worry about my fatigue for I needed to get as much sleep as I possibly could before tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke as a beam of light struck my face from the window. My eyes drowsily opened and leaned up. I moved the sheets away and got up out of bed. Heading into the bathroom, I took a shower and got dressed, wearing a red and blue polo shirt and a pair of blue jeans. I then walked over to the computer and started it up.

"Alright, Harold. Let's get this show on the road." On the monitor was a camera and when I turned it on, I looked straight at the screen with a serious expression.

I pressed the record button and spoke, "Good morning, fellow followers. This is Harold Kuan here with the current news. Today's topic we will be discussing the crime rate that has been skyrocketing in the U.S. now, living in Valiant City, you would think that it's utopia here, but, in reality, it's not. Not anymore. The city has gone downhill after the 90s with a percentage of crime rising at about 35% and the heroes of this city have their hands full also."

I clicked the mouse and brought up several statistic charts on the screen, adding it in the video before I resumed.

"During the Dole Administration, crime in America was at about 15% thanks to stricter punishments in prison and holding violent juveniles accountable for their actions. However, after the presidency of Michael Dukakis, crime increased thanks to that socialist's reform policies such as sending juveniles to reform schools and limiting the death penalty." "

I dragged a hand onto my face. It was too early in the morning for me to feel this overly aggravated. I continued with a consternated frown, "While I'm okay with rehabilitating some criminals and the criminally insane, rapists and serial killer cannot be helped and should just remain in prison and should just be put down, which is why we shouldn't let the federal government decide on how state-funded prisons should be run and let the people vote on their fates."

After that, I signed off and uploaded the video onto my website, the Central Gazette, checking the comments and was surprised by how many there were. My eyes rose when I saw both the negative and positive remarks, but that didn't bother me. Turning the camera off and closing the window, I got up out of my seat and waltzed out the door. It was already 9:35AM, meaning that it was time for me to go get breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a very busy day. Stepping out of the complex, I saw the bustling sight of the city before me, hearing the loud sounds of the rush hour traffic while seeing a lot of people moving back and forth to wherever they're heading.

Walking up the street, I passed a billboard, advertising the new line of helium-powered car called "Heliocars". Something Exocorp has been working on for the past 20 years. I guess I can thank the quantum superman for that.

Then I turned to the side and sauntered into the Hestia Diner where I took a seat at a table by the back window. I chose that spot because it was away from noisy children and obnoxious patrons.

"Hi there, my name is Tammy! What can I get you today?!" smiled the plucky squirrel waitress.

I looked at her and told her what I wanted in a straightforward manner. "I'll have a cup of coffee. Black. Then, for breakfast, I'll just have some bacon and eggs." The tone of my voice was serious, yet calm, as I furrowed my brow.

After she wrote it all down, the waitress Tammy took the menu and walked away, saying to me, "Coming right up, sugah."

I waited patiently for my food. Suddenly, on the television placed above the corner of the diner, the news was on and something about it caught my attention.

A young mouse anchorwoman with glasses and pantsuit was on the screen. Her eyes stared at the teleprompter while she held her papers tightly. "Last night, at 12:42AM, three gangbangers were assault and beaten after attempted to violate a young woman who was returning home form work. The victim described the assaulter as a robust man dressed in a fedora, a ski mask with a scarf around his face, and a Milford coat. Officers had also discovered a flashcard with the letter E sketched on the front, a calling card commonly used by the vigilante Enigma."

My attention was drawn away and turned to the waitress as she placed my food right in front of him. I then dug in and took a bite before returning my gaze back to the TV.

"In other news, body of crime lord Sullivan Russo was found shot and thrown into an alleyway dumpster. Forensics have discovered that the bullet extracted belonged to a 9mm pistol silencer, which is the weapon of choice used by another hometown masked vigilante Revenant who is currently being pursued by the police as we speak."

Appearing on screen was a photograph of a man covered in blood and dressed in a gray suit. Then a sketch of a man dressed in a plague doctor's attire with a gas mask on his face and a pistol in hand also appeared beside the photograph.

Raising my brows, I looked flabbergasted. Then I started hearing the people around me, listening to their conversations after watching the news.

"Great! Another 'superhero' attack! Why couldn't the city have just banned them like some of the other cities?!"

"Hey, you should be grateful that there's somebody looking out for us. At least those heroes are actually going after those monsters!"

"Oh, yeah?! What happens when they turn against us, huh?! What happens when the Enforcer pummels you for jaywalking, or when Red Fox beats your kid just for shoplifting?!"

I didn't want to hear anymore of it. So, I got up and paid the cashier, leaving my breakfast half-eaten and placing a 20$ tip without looking. I stormed out of the diner and headed back home while pondering the information I had learned.

Nothing made sense. Revenant never threw his victim in an alleyway because that would be too conspicuous and would usually bring his enemies to an isolated area before executing them, so as to not draw attention and wouldn't worry about them being discovered for about three days. Also the way the body was shot and thrown was sloppy and lacked the same fluency to be Revenant, and it seemed to be more like an amateur hitman. This was a lot to fathom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was 3 years ago that the Power Squadron tasked me and the other members in patrolling the city. I got partnered up with Revenant as a result of drawing our names from a damn hat.

Strolling through the streets, we patrolled throughout the entire night. The rain fell down onto us, but I barely felt it through the thick layers I was wearing. It didn't seem to bother Revenant, either, even when the back of his neck was exposed.

"There doesn't seem to be any trouble tonight," I stated.

"There's always trouble. Evil lurks in every corner; we just need to look with an observing eye." he halted and turned his attention to a streetlamp as he pointed his finger. Standing around it was a couple of bystanders, but what really caught our attention was whom they were talking to.

"We've got trouble. Five members of the Ratpack gang are right for the kill." Dressed in punk clothes with rat logos on their clothes were members of the Ratpack, handing out suspicious substances to the bystanders in exchange for their money.

I said with a glint of enthusiasm, "Just our luck. If we take one of them, then he'll lead us to their gang's meth lab."

We both charged straight at the Ratpack. Revenant fired his pistol in the air, scaring away the civilians while we drew the gangster's attention to us. Revenant and I were able to take down four of the rats. I even heard Revenant use his pistol to cripple two of them. Unfortunately, we missed one after incapacitating the gang.

"Enigma! He's getting away!" Revenant alerted me as we watched the remaining rat running away down an alleyway.

"Don't let him get away!" I ordered in a firm tone.

We both chased him down. However, Revenant was faster than I was and caught up to the lowlife, going so far ahead that he wasn't in front of me anymore. Suddenly, my speed slowed down. Three gunshots were heard from around the corner and when I got to the source, I saw Revenant gunning down the group's leader as smoke festered from the silencer's barrel.

"It is finally done. An evildoer has been vanquish," said Revenant cryptically, putting his gun away while he readjusted his gasmask.

Grabbing him by the shoulders, I spun him around and struck him against his face. Then I slammed him into the wall and pinned him with my arm against his neck. "What the hell have you done?! You just shot a petty drug dealer and worse of it you just shot a kid dead! Do you not understand the repercussions that will unfold from this?!"

I let go and walked back as I pinched the bridge of my nose. Being around Revenant, I had a feeling that something like that would happen.

Brushing his bodysuit, he exclaimed, "What is it with you?! The Ratpack has been causing nothing but trouble, raping and murdering! It was about time I taught one of their lieutenants a lesson!"

"This is crossing the line, Revenant. If we don't hold back, then we re no better than these lowlifes."

"If we hold back, then we won't have a much stronger impact against the underworld. One of these days, Enigma, you will find yourself staring into the abyss, and the only way to escape is turn away from its' gaze."

After that, he just walked away, leaving me while I glared at him. Then he disappeared into a cloud of smoke with only the sounds of his footprints echoing throughout the alleyway. He was right. Till this day, I still stare at the abyss, and from time to time I would turn away. From then, the demons would come and the results become horrible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day went by as fast as it did. News of the Revenant's supposed assassination on Sullivan Russo spread like wildfire, and now every news site, every station, and every online video was talking about it. Soon it will be dark and all hell will break loose if this ordeal doesn't end.

I stood in front of a whiteboard in my living room, dressed in my Enigma attire and contemplating as I stared. On it was a picture of Sullivan Russo and a sketch of Revenant connected by a string of yarn. On the bottom was a card with a question mark that interconnected with the two. There was something not right and I was trying to decipher the puzzle before me.

Suddenly, I heard the window slid open and saw a shadowy figure crawling in. I stood in a battle stance and was ready to fight. However, when the figure got closer, my stance immediately dropped when I saw the person that was standing in my living room.

"Hello Revenant."

"Enigma. I need your help."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The mask can be a limitation, but you just deal with it. you do get superhuman strength and pumpkin bombs and all this other stuff to express yourself with" --Willem Dafoe