Rocks in Their Heads Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think you'll get on with him very well. At least, I hope you do. You deserve a better deal than last time I think."

"Last time wasn't such a bad deal, and it was you who deserved the better deal. I'm sorry about how things turned out. It wasn't meant to last, that's all." Evelyn smiled at Scott and then asked in a cheeky tone, "So what about you? I'm a little curious, have you been seeing anyone? The French rock climber perhaps? I won't hold it against you if you are.

"Nah, I haven't seen anyone. I like Carole and we've climbed together a few times, but I think I need a break and spend some time alone and think about what I actually want before I jump into any relationships again."

"You thinking before you jump into a relationship? And me, agreeing to meet your boss for a date! It appears we still have rocks in our heads!"

~0~

December 2017

Scott stayed in touch with Evelyn, mostly through Facebook and text messages, to see what she thought of Doug, who she clicked with well enough for them to keep seeing one another. Then, in early December, Evelyn attended the office Christmas party as Doug's plus one. Doug knew the basics of Scott and Evelyn's past together, but wasn't concerned with the details, because he was happy to have an attractive lady to share his weekends with. And occasionally, his nights too.

At the office party Evelyn looked very happy when she greeted Scott with a kiss upon the cheek, leaving behind a red lipstick mark.

"You look happy, Eve," Scott said. "I'm very pleased for you."

"Thanks, Scott! Doug's marvellous! I have to thank you again."

"I'm really happy it's working out. Never forget how you got there though," he said, giving her a cheeky smile.

"Oh, how could I, Scott. Keep this to yourself, but I'm writing another one of those short erotic stories. However, this time the lovers will be closer in age."

"Short story? So it won't be as long as your last one then? That thing was a bloody novel!" He grinned cheekily at her.

"Oh, you're funny. But yes, I'll try to keep it shorter. I think this one will have a better chance for a happy ever after ending than the last one."

They both giggled as Doug joined them with two glasses of Champagne. "Young man, I'll have you know this lady is taken, so don't get any fancy ideas," Doug said to Scott in jest, while handing Evelyn a glass. Doug was naturally cheerful, but he was quite clearly the happiest Scott had seen him.

"Don't you worry, old fella, I don't think I could compete with you. Anyway, I'll leave you two alone. I have some business to attend to."

Scott dropped by the bar and ordered a glass of Scotch, then walked out onto the venue's large deck, finding a small gaggle of people, including Jacqueline, Michael and Fiona, plus a couple of other work colleagues. Jacqueline saw Scott approach with his glass and held up her own glass to his, clinking them together.

"Hey, Scotty. What's crackin?" she said cheerfully.

"Hey, Jack, not much. But damn you look amazing. I love your dress!" Jacqueline was wearing an aqua dress that fell to her knees, and black dress sandals on her feet. Her long dark brown hair fell down her back, with a few thick tendrils cascading about her shoulders, their ends resting over her generous bosom.

She blushed and smiled at his compliment, and noting his smart summer dress trousers and shirt, she replied, "Aww thanks, Scotty. You scrub up alright too. Who'd have thought? But did you know you have a cherry on your cheek? Visiting Doug's lady friend, were we?"

He chuckled as he wiped the lipstick off with a serviette. "I was simply checking up on them crazy kids, making sure they weren't up to any mischief."

She smiled at Scott, chuckling, "Hey, you did good. For once. Doug appears very happy, which is nice to see."

Scott chuckled, glad their rapport had grown again over the previous months. He motioned to her glass which contained red liquid. "So, Jack, what are you drinking anyway?"

"Sloe gin. What about you?"

"Johnnie Walker, neat."

"Very nice." They clinked their glasses again.

It was a pleasant evening on the deck among colleagues, with the sun setting to the west and a late evening breeze cooling what remained of the humid summer's day. Rainbow lorikeets chattered noisily in a nearby tree as they settled down to roost for the night, and the venue wait-staff brought around canapes of barbecued chicken skewers, spring rolls, curry puffs and mini smoked salmon quiches for the guests. Eventually Scott and Jacqueline were sitting alone at a table, chatting and watching their work colleagues interact with each other and partners.

"Hey, Jack, do you have any plans for the weekend?" Scott casually asked.

"Nah, probably recovering from this party or something. What about you?"

"Nothing yet. I was thinking, how would you like to catch a movie at the Barracks or something like that, if you like?"

"Oh. Sure. How about the new Star Wars? I've been waiting for it to come out. Have you seen all the others?"

"Of course, who hasn't? But I think it comes out next week."

"Oh, bummer, I thought it was this weekend. Maybe we can see it next week?"

"Sure, Jack, I'd love to, that'd be great. But maybe we could see something else tomorrow instead, or perhaps we could hang out, if you like? Maybe have another jam session or even go surfing if we aren't too hung over?"

"Yeah, sounds great." Her relaxed tone changed to one that was perplexed as she asked, "Hang on, Scotty, are you asking me out?"

"Yeah, Jackie, I am," he replied, matter of fact like. "Why?"

"Oh, cool. Okay then," Jacqueline replied, sounding as nonchalant as she could. She thought for a moment and then added, "I don't get it though. You've been single for what, three months, and just now you've already lined up a date. And it's taken me three long years to get asked on a date by someone worth dating. What gives there?"

"Actually, it's been about four months for me. Sometimes, good things come to those who wait, that's all. But I'm more than certain this girl likes me, and she's different from anyone else I've met. I have an extremely good feeling about her." He smiled and Jacqueline clearly struggled to maintain her casual demeanour.

"Oh, really? What gives you such a good feeling then?" She asked with her eyebrows raised.

"Hmm, you see, I've known this girl for a couple of years now and she's probably the coolest chick I've ever known. She's super smart and extraordinarily beautiful. She can be a little funny too, but also funny in the head at times. But yeah, we've had some moments over the last year or so, and it's taken me a bit of time to realise how special she is to me."

Scott watched as Jacqueline's eyes widened behind her black rimmed spectacles and she blushed deeply, her creamy skin flushing bright red. When he was finished speaking it took her a moment to regain composure, trying to maintain her nonchalant tone. "Well, it sounds like you took some time coming to your senses. What about the future though. Apparently this girl would like a family sometime down the track."

"I've given it a hell of a lot of thought, Jack. Like, it's been on my mind constantly for several months now, and I've decided it's something I'm definitely keen on too. As long as things are going well in a year or two, and if this girl is keen to have kids with me, I'm more than keen. Though, I'd be a bit worried any kids we have turning out a little crazy with our combined terrible senses of humours, ay!"

Jacqueline blushed even more, and chuckled. "Hmm, but tell me, is this girl older than you? Cos rumour has it you much prefer the older ladies."

"You know, she's a little older. Four years I think. No big deal, she's hardly a cougar."

"She might not be a cougar, but you best beware, you might find she's a tiger, so you better keep your wits about you. But I think this lucky girl sounds like a keeper and you should totally go for her."

"Oh, mate, I hope she's a keeper, because I kinda like her a lot. Actually, I like her more than a lot. More than I feel I can express."

Jacqueline blushed again, and with a thoughtful look she responded, "Hey, Scott, the jam session you want to have tomorrow. How about we move it forward. Perhaps to tonight? You can express whatever feelings you have to get off your chest then. We could leave, say, nowish, before we drink anymore?"

"What a great idea! Let me finish this drink and then we'll head."

"No worries." She contemplated him for a moment, and then with a sly smile, she said, "Um, you know Bob might get a little jealous if we hang out more often. Just saying."

"Really? Cos I heard Bob was about to become obsolete. Some say he's getting a bit short in the shaft. Apparently he can't hold a charge like he used to, if you know what I mean."

"Nah, don't believe everything you hear. Bob's been my faithful companion for quite some time, so maybe there could be a role for him to play."

"Sure, let's see if we can, ah, accommodate him."

"Oh, I have some ideas." she said. Jacqueline leaned slightly towards Scott and looking him straight in the eye, she whispered, "Jesus, Scott, I'd almost jump you right here and now cos you're seriously turning me on. Let's leave before I do something that'll make us look very bad in front of our colleagues."

They looked into one another's eyes, trying to keep a straight face, but both broke into a smirk and then burst out laughing. Only a few people paid them any attention as Scott and Jacqueline downed their drinks, then, casual as you like, they stood and took one another's hands, and walked out. The few who did notice Scott and Jacqueline didn't think twice about them, having assumed they'd been seeing each other in secret for a year or so, given their obvious natural affinity with one another.

Evelyn was one of the few who'd taken interest in them hanging out together through most of the evening, chatting and laughing, and then leaving early, hand in hand. She smiled and whispered to herself, "All the best, Scotty, my love. I hope this will be your happily ever after."

Doug returned to Evelyn's side and handed her another glass of champagne. "You look happy!"

"Ah, it's such a beautiful night, Doug. Here, let's have a toast. To old friends and new beginnings!"

"Hear, hear! To old friends and new beginnings!" They clinked their glasses together.

~~~~ THE END ~~~~