Rosemarie Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We're so fortunate to live so close," Rose informed Jake who was looking around with interest. "We're less than fifteen minutes away. There are people who pack up and travel here by train, bus, automobile and wagon and have to either stay in a hotel, if they're lucky enough to find a room, or pitch a tent at the campgrounds just down the road."

They stopped at the large main pavilion that Bill had helped design and he walked them through the building. He explained that the fairground hadn't been remodeled in over thirty years and, while they had begun the process a few years ago, the war had brought much of it to a halt since many of the workers were sent overseas. But, in the last year, they'd made an enormous amount of progress and had new buildings for cattle, horses and poultry to be housed and displayed. Those buildings, along with the large pavilion that they were in now, which would be used for multiple events during the fair, had all been designed by Bill's architectural firm.

All concerned were impressed with the new, modern buildings and facilities. As they left the fairgrounds, Betsy and her mother talked about the dress that she'd made and was going to enter in the fair. Bill guided the car downtown and stopped in front of a popular ice cream parlor, announcing that he'd had a craving for the sweet treat and thought the others might enjoy some as well.

All in all, it was a very pleasant afternoon and, to Rose's surprise, not nearly as awkward as she'd feared. She was able to converse naturally with Jake, although she did enjoy a few times when he had inconspicuously rested his hand on the back of her waist or held her hand a bit longer than necessary when helping her in or out of the car. They arrived back at the Colliers around four in the afternoon, and Mr. Collier surprised Jake by suggesting he and Rose go for a drive, if they liked. There was a nice lake not too far from the outskirts of town that he thought they might enjoy. Mrs. Collier insisted they take along a jug of lemonade, a few apples and cheese and a blanket to sit on, then reminded them not to be too late as they would be having dinner around seven that evening.

As they headed out of town, Jake looked over at Rose and smiled, reaching over to grasp her hand and pull her closer to him on the large seat. She complied and slipped her hand through his arm, while not impeding his ability to drive.

"You said you're going to be in Buffalo for a week and then head back to New York?" Rose asked.

"Yes, I'm going to visit a friend from college. Although, the more time that I spend with you, the less I'm looking forward to trading your company for his," Jake said ruefully. "Other than shop and take in a show with your cousin Milly, what do you plan to do in Chicago for the week?"

"I'll spend time being the doting cousin to her two children, of course," Rose smiled.

"Cousin Milly has children?" Jake asked, raising his eyebrows. "From the way you spoke of her, I assumed that she was..ah...unattached."

Rose threw her head back and laughed as Jake tried to be a gentleman regarding her cousin.

"Milly sowed quite a few wild oats when she was young, but she found a man who knew how to keep her in line. She adores him and they have two little boys, aged four and three," Rose informed him, still smiling. Milly had fallen in love with the man whom she had first referred to as "The Spanker", but who Rose eventually came to know as Arthur. His family owned a textile plant outside of Chicago and provided awning fabric to different locations throughout the country. While it didn't sound like an impressive kind of work, it was actually quite lucrative and they lived in a very nice area of the city. Moreover, he made Milly happy and vise versa. Milly had informed Rose that the old saying that a man looses interest once the honeymoon was over DEFINITELY didn't hold true if you knew how to keep him happy in bed, therefore Rose knew that marriage hadn't completely tamed her irrepressible cousin.

"I see," Jake said, looking at her archly. "Here we are, I believe."

The lake was indeed lovely, reflecting the clear blue sky in it's surface. They spread their blanket down on the ground and sat the basket containing their snacks atop it, but decided to stroll around the edge of the water for a bit. Since there were several other couples and a few families enjoying a picnic along the shores, they weren't able to indulge in any physical intimacies, however enjoyed strolling arm in arm around the perimeter a ways.

"Rose," Jake began, looking at the young woman beside him. "I want you to know that last night meant a great deal to me."

The color in her cheeks heightened at the memory of their passion, however she nodded and replied, "To me, as well. You must know that."

"I'm genuinely honored to have been the first man...well..you know," he said, not wanting to speak too loudly or intimately in the event that someone might be closer than he realized and overhear. "And I want you to know that I believe I'm coming to care a great deal for you."

"Jake, you don't have to say these things," Rose said, shaking her head. "I don't expect anything from you and you don't have to pretend to have feelings for me just because we..we...were lovers last night," she said, whispering the last few words. It felt so wicked, yet so delicious to even say them!

"Rose, if we continue our acquaintance, which I sincerely hope is the case, you'll soon realize that I don't often say things that I don't mean," he said, looking her straight in the eye.

By this time they'd returned to their blanket and set about nibbling at the cheese and apples as they talked and learned more about the other. She discovered that he had two brothers and a sister and that he was an uncle six times over. He discovered that she dabbled in painting with oils and played the piano extremely well. They discussed a wide range of topics ranging from their likes and dislikes when it came to food, literature, music and people. They eventually noticed that they were among only a handful of people left by the lakeshore and, upon checking his watch, Jake was astonished to discover that it was a quarter till seven!

They quickly folded the blanket and grabbed the now empty basket and lemonade jug and ran for the car hand in hand, laughing like children. Jake discovered that his uncle's car could go at a very good clip when need be, however it was still a quarter after seven when they pulled in the Collier's garage.

Breathless with rushing, the two gasped out apologies along the lines of the lovely afternoon distracting them, they lost track of time, and on and on. The Collier's simply laughed at the two and pointed out that the meat was taking longer than anticipated in the barbecue pit so their tardiness was excused.

Once the uncooperative chops were finally done to the cook's satisfaction, the evening meal ensued. Jake and Rose shared a bit about their afternoon at the lake while Agnes told about the afternoon that she'd spent roller skating with her friends. They had pretended that the block was the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and that they were cars in the Indianapolis 500 mile race.

"Yes, Jake, perhaps you can return again next year but we can plan things a bit differently. You can either come earlier for the race, or later for the State Fair," Bill said, thinking that it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to convince his nephew to return for another visit, as long as Rose was next door.

Once the meal was done, they sat and chatted about the rest of the summer for a bit while Agnes and Betsey caught fireflies. Mr. Collier said that he'd be happy to meet Rose's parents at the station and bring them home the next day, as the arrival of their train would be just shortly after he generally left the office.

At ten o'clock Rose bid the Colliers goodnight and thanked them for their hospitality that day. Jake then walked her home, going by way of the gate through the hedges. They joined hands as they walked towards the patio, the scene of last night's passion. Rose felt her heart beginning to beat faster, not sure what to expect this evening. She knew that Jake couldn't be gone for any length of time without arousing suspicion with his relatives.

As they came to the back door, Jake stopped and, pulling her hand, turned Rose to face him. Reaching with his free hand, he cupped her cheek and allowed his gaze to roam over the beauty that he saw there in the moonlight. Bending his head, he kissed her, gently at first and then more deeply, pulling her body close to his. He took a great deal of pleasure in feeling her hands slide around his waist and then smooth up and over the fabric of the shirt that covered his back. They stood there, enjoying the feel and the taste of each other there in the moonlight, until Rose finally broke away.

"You need to go, Jake," she said, trailing her fingers down his cheek. "They'll wonder what's become of you."

Rose crossed the few steps to the back door and then, opening it, went in the house. Turning, she looked down at where Jake was still standing , watching her.

"I'll leave the door unlocked," she said, and then, to make sure there was no misunderstanding what she meant, said, "I'll be waiting for you."

She then closed the door and turned out the kitchen light, while Jake crossed the lawn to the Collier's with a smile of anticipation on his face.

12