Runner Girl Ch. 11

Story Info
John meets Amy's family and Amy has the talk.
4.6k words
4.84
23k
23

Part 11 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 07/04/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DonnaBeck
DonnaBeck
1,060 Followers

John loaded the last gift in the Range Rover, closed the hatch and declared, "Okay, that's it. Go say goodbye to Freddy and I'll stay down here with the car."

"Be right back." Amy dashed upstairs and scanned her tiny apartment to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything. "Bye-bye, Freddy. Try not to miss me too much. Tracy will come by to visit and feed you every day and I'll see you in a week." She kissed the grey cat, who responded with indifference, then she ran down the three flights of stairs to where the Range Rover waited double parked with the hazard lights flashing.

"Got everything?"

"I hope so, but it's not like we're leaving civilization."

"North Carolina is civilized?" John teased, as he eased into the flow of traffic.

"Ha ha. Do you want me to drive?"

"Sure, I'd like that. But I'll get us out of town first."

"Good idea. It's been months since I've driven, and Manhattan isn't a great place to get back in the groove. But once I get warmed up and we get close to Charlotte, I'll navigate our way through all those Nascar fans."

John laughed and changed lanes, eliciting a horn blast from a taxi. "I hoped that by starting at six in the morning, we would avoid aggressive cab drivers," he glanced over at Amy who was relaxed enough to flip through the magazine laid out on her lap. The two settled into a comfortable silence, Manhattan's streets passing by, and then the Holland Tunnel and Jersey City were behind them as the 95 Turnpike got them out into countryside. There, Amy found an article that caught her attention.

"Ooooh, listen to this," Amy said, "'Can your relationship survive a road trip?'"

John laughed, "I sure hope so! But we wouldn't be taking this road trip if we didn't think so. But what's the gist of the article? I'll follow proper protocol to ensure success."

"Oh my gosh, are you one of those people who read the chapter summary in a textbook first?"

John looked guilty all of a sudden. "Sometimes I read only the summary. But I still managed to do pretty well in school."

"You're too smart for you own good. But this article doesn't really have answers: it's about some of the challenges a couple faces while being trapped in a car together for hours: having a good sense of humor when things go awry, being able to sustain conversation or comfortable periods of silence, agreeing or compromising on music, being able to relax behind the wheel or in the driver's seat --"

"I'm perfectly relaxed. I think we're earning an 'A' so far."

"John, it's barely been an hour," Amy laughed. "We have nine more to go. Wait until you let me behind the wheel, or when I ask you to pull over to a rest stop every hour."

John put his hand on her knee and glanced over, "I can handle that. I'm pretty easy going."

"You are. Especially for a businessman."

"I don't really consider myself a businessman."

"You don't?"

"No, not really. I feel like I'm playing a game half the time. Looking for properties, writing offers, mingling with clients. I'm not the typical aggressive go-getter. Half the time I'm not even worried if a deal goes through or not."

"Hmmm. Maybe that's the key to your success. You're naturally good at what you do and you have a knack for putting other people at ease. It makes it easier for them to manage such high stakes. That, plus you have an easy disposition, not like the typical New Yorker at all. I admit I had you stereotyped when I first met you, but you continue to amaze me with how authentic and genuine you are," Amy looked at his profile and saw him grinning with pride. "Wow, did you just blush? That I've never seen before!"

John shook his head, "I might have. You said some pretty nice things about me, Amy McGuinness."

"My family's going to love you, John Heywood," she added.

"Let me make sure I have their names right. Your folks: Andrea and Ed?"

"Yep!"

"And your older sister, Molly. What is her husband's name again?"

"Adam. They'll be there for Christmas dinner, but they won't be staying at the house since they live just outside Charlotte. They have two children; Sam and Ella are four and six."

"And your little sister? Erin? Is she staying at the house?"

"Yes, she's already there, home from college. Her boyfriend is coming Christmas night. I've never met him, but his name's Aaron too."

"They're both named Erin?"

"Yes, she with and 'E,' and he with a double 'A.'"

"Oh, that's confusing. Okay, Ed and Andrea, Molly and Adam, Sam and Ella, and Erin and Aaron."

"Yep. And John and Amy."

"And John and Amy." He turned and smiled at her. "We do get our own room, don't we?"

"Yep. My old room. But it shares a bathroom with Erin."

"Erin with an E?"

"Yes, until Aaron with an A gets there."

"What about gifts? I didn't get them all presents," John said, glancing over at Amy.

"Oh, that's not expected at all. But I didn't get anything for the kids yet and you can help me get them something. It'll be fun to shop for toys and even more fun to play with them."

"I did get your parents something."

"You did!" Amy answered in surprise. "Oh John, please tell me you didn't spend much. They're really simple and -- "

"I didn't spend much at all. A bottle of wine and something... personal."

"Really? What is it?" Amy smiled, now curious.

"A surprise," John grinned and continued to fix his eyes on the road.

"Hmmm." Amy turned back to her magazine and John continued grinning at the road. After a few minutes of pretending to read, she closed her magazine and said, "I hope you didn't go overboard on me. You already bought me this jacket and..."

"Amy," John glanced at her, "Don't tell me how to spend my money." He squeezed her knee playfully and added, "Bossy!"

"Sorry," she laughed. "I'm just not used to it."

"You're going to have to get used to it."

"Am I? I've relaxed a lot since I've known you, but I'll never be materialistic. Not with so many people in need."

"Do you think I'm materialistic?"

Amy thought before answering. "You have nice things. You have nice clothes and this car, and... yes. And jeez, your treadmill is better than the ones at the gym. Oh, and then there's Leonard. I'd have to say yes."

"Okay. I won't argue. It's all relative anyway."

Amy grinned to herself and said, "I didn't mean it to be an insult. You're very generous, but you do have nice things -- and you're fond of them."

"I do. I have everything I want," John returned his hand to her knee and let it rest there. They were out of traffic and heading south on Interstate 95 until it branched off to I-85 south of Richmond.

*****

"Erin!" Andrea McGuinness shouted up the stairs, "Will you please get off that computer and come help me?"

Erin sauntered down the stairs. "What is it, Mom?"

"I need your help wrapping gifts so I can get this table cleaned off. Amy and John are going to be here any minute!"

Erin rolled her eyes but picked up a box with a sticky note on it and a roll of paper. "Why are you making such a fuss? You didn't get this nervous when you met Aaron for the first time."

"Oh honey, that was different. Aaron just came for a visit and..." Andrea corrected herself, "Well it isn't just Amy and John, honey. It's Christmas. I want the house to look beautiful."

"It does, Mom," Erin's tone softened too. "I love how our house looks and it smells great too. So what do you know about Amy's new boyfriend? Besides that he's rich?"

Andrea grinned, not sure how much to reveal about her computer skills. "He doesn't update his Facebook, but he's very Googleable."

Erin laughed, "'Googleable?' Jeez, Mom, you cyber-stalker. But what does Amy say about him?"

"Don't you talk to her?"

"Oh, you know I do. But I got really busy at the end of the term and... besides, I want to know what she told you! I mean, it seems pretty serious, bringing him all the way from New York, don't you think? I mean Aaron is coming out, but it isn't that far for him and, hey -- what did Dad say?"

"About what?"

"About John. About Amy bringing a guy home."

"Oh, you know your dad. He was pretty reserved. He didn't complain about it, though."

"Why would he?"

"Oh, I don't know. Christmas used to just be us. He looks forward to seeing his girls and... you're right, why would he?"

"Because we're sharing beds! Right here under your roof!"

Andrea shot Erin a disapproving look, "Well, you're all adults now. You're under our roof, yes, but we're not in charge anymore. Now you're more like guests, and I guess we owe you hospitality."

"Thank you!" Erin held up both arms and looked at the ceiling as if she were thanking God instead of her mother. There were perks to being the youngest girl, one being that her parents had loosened up over the years.

*****

As they approached the outskirts of Charlotte, Amy made an announcement. "We did it. We survived our first road trip and I don't even hate you right now."

"But do you still love me?" John teased.

"Yes. Possibly even more. You didn't complain about my bathroom stops or my driving."

"And you let me get some sleep. Very smart of you. I'm less likely to be a grumpy ass in front of your family."

Amy smiled and turned down a residential street lined with large trees that met overhead, creating a tunnel effect. She pulled into a driveway and turned off the engine. "You ready for this?"

"Yep. Nice place," John commented as he got out of the car, admiring the white traditional colonial home with the big porch. It was evening and light streamed from every window, and green wreaths and Christmas lights adorned every one of them. "Looks like everyone's up."

"It's only nine, silly."

"Is it? You must have driven fast while I slept."

Amy took his arm and led him up the concrete walkway to the door just as her mom stepped out onto the porch, "Amy!"

"Mom!" Amy dropped John's arm and dashed to hug her mother. After a long embrace, her mom held her at arm's distance to have a look at her, then, remembering her manners, turned to John and held her arms out for another hug. John laughed and walked into her welcoming embrace. He wasn't prone to nervousness when meeting people, yet still the friendly reception felt comforting. It gave him the impression that Amy must have said very nice things about him. Ed McGuinness appeared on the porch and displayed much greater reserve. He shook John's hand curtly and asked about the drive.

Stepping inside, John found the interior matched the exterior in traditional tastefulness, with holiday décor throughout. He glanced around quickly, and allowed Ed to take his jacket. He declined the offer of a drink, opting for water, and took a seat on the couch.

*****

12/22

My sister did it again. Actually, she outdid herself this time because this one is not only hotalicious -- he's rich! OMG. I expected someone stuffy and conceited, but holey-mole'! I was way off. And Amy? It's like she has a light bulb behind her face, I almost need sunglasses to look at her. Oh, but she is skin-knee! I tried to give her crap about it, but at least she didn't deny it. She said she got stressed out being real busy with work, plus running, but she's expecting Mom's cooking to put about five pounds on her. HA! I'll probably gain fifteen over the semester break. They said they're going running in the morning and she asked me along, but while those two early birds are out catching worms, I'll be catching some much needed Z's.

Anyway, John seems real nice and down-to-earth too. I asked him if he thought he could handle the McGuinness sisters and he said he has three sisters of his own! Damn, it's too bad John doesn't have a brother. (Aaron if you're reading this I'm only kidding! Stop reading my journal!) I can't believe my sister got so lucky. Scratch that. Yeah I can. But you should see the way he looks at her! Granted they've only been dating a few months, but I don't think Aaron's ever looked at me like that. (Aaron I hope you are reading this! Take some lessons from John!) Omg -- I can't wait to see what he gives her for Christmas!

12/23

I got all my Christmas shopping done today! I got Molly the cutest sweater and Adam a really cool hat. I just need to put the finishing touches on Aaron's gift and wrap everything and I'm done! I wish Mom would let me sleep! She keeps asking me to help her with everything, but I'm still exhausted from finals! I did promise to help her bake tonight. Amy and John are going out with some of Amy's old friends.

I wish Aaron was here. Two more days! Omg, you know you're getting old when you care less about Christmas than sex! Lol. (That's right Aaron -- I am missing you!) I think this is about the longest we've gone without seeing each other.

12/24

Christmas Eve -- Yaya! I swear -- I love Christmas Eve even more than Christmas. And tomorrow night Aaron is coming! Oh-oh-oh, so this morning I went into the bathroom and John was in there in his boxer briefs brushing his teeth. OMG! I apologized and ran off, but not before getting an eyeful of hotness. (Aaron, if you're reading this, knock it off! Besides, I know I don't look like my sister in my underwear either, so can't I just appreciate him for the eye candy that he is?) Anyway, I see him downstairs fully dressed a little while later, sitting at the table drinking coffee and chatting with Mom while she's doing stuff in the kitchen! (Amy was out running.) I think my parents are completely smitten with him. Okay, maybe not Dad, he warms up much slower, but anyway, I ask why he didn't go with her and he said she was doing a long run today and he needed to do a little work. He had his laptop open and then he goes to help Mom get something out of her car, so of course I have a little peek to see what millionaire New Yorkers email about and he has his screen reduced, but in one click I see it is definitely NOT work related! It said, "Jessica, you are lovely as always, but please stop sending me photos. I told you I am in a committed relationship."???? Oh my god, who is Jessica and does Amy know about her? Anyway, he's obviously not busted, unless "please stop sending me photos" is actually code for "please keep sending me photos"? Who knows? I kind of forgot about the unpleasant fact that a rich guy that looks like that is always a flight risk. And then it made me really grateful for Aaron who I know is mine all mine.

Oh, and then this happened tonight: Apparently a couple friends of theirs got engaged and this girl Tracy sent Amy a photo of her ring at the exact moment the guy sent a text to John, and they got all excited and both of them called their friends immediately. Afterwards, John said he was going to be the best man (apparently the girl wants a small wedding and her twin sister will be the maid-of-honor.) Hey, imagine that! Here it is your wedding day and the only attendant in your wedding party is your identical twin? That's gotta be weird. I can't imagine not having at least seven bridesmaids. Anyway, Amy and John started talking about their friends and Amy said they only started dating in the summer and hadn't known each other very long. John got that cute grin on his face and started teasing her about what the 'rules of engagement' are, obviously fishing, and Amy started saying she thinks a couple should have known each other at least a year and if I was a cartoon character, my ears would have grown three times larger, I was straining to hear every word, thinking, "Oh my god, what if he already has a ring for her? What if...?"

Anyway, he teased her good naturedly quite a bit, but I don't think he even disagreed, but Amy was doing that thing where she 'digs her heels in' as Mom says, and John seemed completely amused by her and looks at her like she is the most interesting thing he's ever seen. My sister is so damn lucky!

Less than twenty-four hours and I get to see my Air-Bear! And I know for a fact I'm not getting a ring, cuz Aaron and I already talked about it and we're gonna finish school first and then Aaron has to get a job, so no pressure there! Just some token of affection to let me know I'm his one-and-only. But really, once he gets a job, I'll be expecting a ring soon after that (size 8 Aaron, platinum, princess cut, just in case you're reading this, which you definitely shouldn't be!)

Well, it's almost time for midnight Mass. It will be John's first time (he said he is a Protestant). I wish Aaron was here to see me in my dress, I can't get a good selfie -- oh! Amy's here! Better yet, John's a photographer. Aaron will get to see me in my Christmas Eve outfit.

12/25

Merry Christmas! Today has been wonderful and will be even more perfect when Air-Bear gets here, which should be about three hours. Mom and Dad got me super cute boots and a new purse and -- OMG, John and Amy! Oh, but first, let me just say that John gave Mom and Dad a gift and I didn't know what to expect, except I really imagined something... I don't know, less personal and more expensive? He gave them a photo of Amy! Oh my god, I'm so jealous. Aaron -- you shouldn't be reading this, but if you are, you HAVE to take photos of me. I mean, I know you're not a pro, but anyway, John took this picture of Amy up on a mountain looking over the Hudson Valley and it is stunning. I said, "Wow Amy, that looks like it should be on the cover of Runner's World Magazine!" it is that good! And Amy said, "Oh, you've got to be someone special to be on the cover, not just an average runner with an amazing photographer boyfriend!"

And John says, "Well they do use regular folks too, they do a lot of human interest stories in that magazine." Anyway, I guess Amy didn't know what the gift was ahead of time, but Mom and Dad really love it and Mom already hung it in the hallway and -- oh, oh, I forgot to say what they got each other! Well they didn't open their gifts in front of us, but Amy showed me John gave her a cashmere sweater and a bracelet engraved with, "John and Amy, 9-10" the date of their first date (or so they say, maybe it was when they first had sex! Ha -- maybe it was the same day!) Anyway, Amy's gift to John really impressed him, he kept talking about it all day, and kept looking at it. It's a book she made from photos he took and each and every one is of New York, but not the typical kind of tourist photos, some you can't even tell are New York, but they're blown up big and on the opposite page, Amy wrote a poem to go with each one! Omg, that is totally something I would do, if I weren't so busy with school. Aaron is just going to have to settle for the "public gift" of a shirt, plus the "private gift" - coupons for sex favors! Yes, I know what my guy likes. Hey, I wonder if Amy and John gave "private" gifts?

Anyhoo, Mom and Dad both really liked their gifts from me, and Mom is wearing the earrings right now. Two more hours until Aaron gets here! Oh, and this is weird; I've been getting along with Amy really well this whole time, but tonight she tells the entire family that she needs to talk to all of us about something important, but she wants it to be just our immediate family. WTF??? At first I'm thinking "Oh my god, she's pregnant? Getting married?" But then why wouldn't she just say it instead of scheduling a family meeting? And the way she said it, "immediate family"? That's just rude! I mean Aaron will barely be here twelve hours and he has to disappear? Well Adam is going to stay home with the kids so Molly can come back, and John offered to go do something with Aaron, but what? They don't even know each other and what would they do the day after Christmas? I swear, this better be important, or I am going to have to accept that my sister has morphed into a selfish New Yorker, a real prima donna. I tried to get her to tell me what was up, but she insisted she would tell the whole family at once.

Ah well, I'm not going to let that spoil this fantastic Christmas! Hurry up Aaron!!

DonnaBeck
DonnaBeck
1,060 Followers
12