Running from Love Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On that visit, I was grumpy, ranting moodily to myself saying, "In all my 27 years working here, the only person I'd like to see promoted is Jaime who works her tail off every day."

I relent because most hourly staff are good workers, "It's that Alma Marie girl drives me batty, always late, painting her nails, talking, texting, and scanning messages on her phone.

"I felt eyes on me, so I breathed deeply ending my not-so-internal rant saying I needed to think seriously about retirement."

Amanda shakes her head, "Rachael, Missy is watching me like a hawk and just repeated my entire rant almost word for word, especially my wanting to retire. That was 5 months ago, so she must have a memory like an elephant." Amanda, Bernie, and, Me standing there spellbound.

Missy reels Jaime in for a hug, "Prissy and I want you to routinely work and learn from Grandma Amanda until you're 30. Then we'll ask Moms Rachael and Bernie to make you the Albany VP of Operations.

"Grandma will work full-time training you during your first year, and then she'll drop 1-day per week each year for the next four years. This way, it will take Grandma Amanda 5-years to retire 100%.

"At that time, you're on your own but, Grandma will be around a few more years on the Board (BOD). So she'll still be part of the company if you have any questions.

When you're promoted to VP, Prissy and I will work in this office, for 2 to 4 months a year supporting you. We'll be 18 and 19 years old, working full-time for the company in Albany and Beaufort."

An insecure Jaime hugs Missy & Prissy, "Do you truly think I can succeed and become the Albany YP as you two layout for me," tears flooding her cheeks?"

Missy gives Prissy the eye, who grins, "Jaime, my very special big Sis Ava once told me, the most important person in the world is YOU. So you must want this in your heart, and yes, you can do it perfectly.

"Second, "My best bud Missy heard it from Grandmom Amanda's Mouth. Jaime is a great worker, whom she fully respects, so give your 'New Boss n Trainer' a thank-you hug,

The next jolt comes when Missy and Prissy hand out bonuses and give their speeches. My investment firm's staff is small with 15 full-time workers, and is amid an outstanding year financially, with our acquisition/merger.

Missy and Prissy whisper to Berne and me, "Moms, Jaime's year-end report says we have paid all our bills for the year and have a truckload of cash on hand. So Prissy and I want to Double the worker bonuses. Jill says it's easy for us to do since our workers' pay is EFT direct deposit.

I turn to Bernie, who agrees with Missy/Prissy 100%, so, each hourly employee will get a $12;500 bonus, Jaime, $18,000, and Amanda, $25,000. Additionally, all regular staff will receive a 10% pay increase in the new FY.

Many happy people celebrate in our office Christmas party, including security personnel. We have 2 contract security staff persons, who will now have the option to work for us as an independent consultant(s) or join the company as employees.

Jaime suggests we give the two security persons a 90-day window for transition, allowing her time to research their best option tax/benefit-wise.

She is also delaying their bonus direct deposit EFT until each security person chooses their option. Otherwise, the Employment Agency will take a 40% cut of their bonus, off the top as their fee.

Our yearend Christmas Holiday lunch is special this year, with a nice raise and huge employee bonuses. Bernie and I also commit to keeping the Albany operations open and fully staffed for the foreseeable future.

We acquired a smaller investment firm and will open a New HQ in Beaufort for the combined companies. Yet, Albany will remain our Primary Operations Center adding new employees and bringing our security staff in-house.

Missy and I have a full life, a successful business, and real friends for the first time since my messy divorce, nearly 7-years ago.

***

NEW BEAUFORT FRIEND: AVA POV

It seems the Duke Gardens are designed for me to meet new friends. One Sunday before our Christmas Holiday break Dania and I go for an hour early morning run in mid-December.

Seeing a younger girl running alone, we catch up to her in the same area where I first bumped into Dania. I look at her closely before saying hello, realizing she's young for running alone, maybe 15 or 16.

Smiling, "Hi, I'm Ava a Duke Fresher on the track team, and this is my friend Dania, also a track team Fresher."

She's excited, "Wow, my name's Mimi, and I'm also a Duke Special Admissions Fresher, wanting to run track!"

Dania and I are puzzled, "Mimi, we think you're only 15 or 16, so are surprised you're a College Fresher."

Mimi's head drops, "Ava, I'm 15 and will be 16 in February." eyes tearing up.

Dania hugs her, "Mimi, let's jog to the coffee shop and talk. You're upset and Ava and I are happy to sit with you for a while.

Mimi frowns, then grins cutely, "Ugh, I don't like coffee, but you can get me hot chocolate." giggling as you'd expect from a 15-year-old.

Drinking our hot chocolate, we learn Mimi's a near genius, IQ-138, but is also a lonely young girl. She's always attended special schools for the Gifted, passing the Duke entrance exam at 14.

These special schools focus 100% on exploiting her brain, without any organized cultural, social, or sports extracurricular activities. She's self-taught in playing the piano and loves to run for hours.

Her Mom is a paraplegic, and not able to travel easily, so Mimi's mostly alone living at these boarding schools for gifted kids. She officially starts as a Duke Fresher in the spring term but arrives early to see her new campus.

The private school tries convincing Mimi's Mom to keep her enrolled there. They continue to harass them even after she's accepted at Duke, so a second reason for Mimi to arrive on campus early.

One early admission adviser suggests she stay on the Beaufort Campus until the Spring term starts in January since it's quieter and she'd likely be more relaxed. Additionally, the advisor mentions the Duke Exception Program is on the Beaufort campus and has younger students.

I smile at Dania who nods, "You don't know us, Mimi, so can we meet you at the track in a couple of hours? We'll pick up our roommates, go to the track, and introduce you to Coach Angel.

She looks so sad, "Wait a minute while I make a phone call?"

I talk to Mom and Dad, who's flying in from Albany late afternoon with the 7-kids. I tell them about Mimi, asking them to stay in Durham for 2 or 3 days before going to Beaufort.

Then I update, Ellis, Sherry, Daisy D, and Chubs, who'll meet us at the track, so everything is settled.

Mimi, "I'm Ava Jewel Goslinger, and my friend Dania Goslinger. What is your full family name?"

She answers, "My name is Miriam Eugenia Fullerton, but I go by Mimi, which my Mom loves!"

Okay, Mimi, "Dania, and I will ride with you to the Duke Track & Field Stadium on the Campus shuttle. Our friends will drive over and we'll meet there. We can ask Coach about you trying out for the track team.

"There's an opening for the 3000m, and you like long runs, but I'm unsure about your age, and NCAA rules."

Mimi claps back at me, "Ava, I'd love to run the 3000m and Coach Angel can ask for an NCAA waiver when I'm 16, in February, 2 months from now.

***

We're at the Duke Track Field, with the coach promising to look into Mimi's age issue with the NCAA. I commit to training her along with Daisy D-800m, and Chubs-1500m and we'll go from there.

Mimi lives in a sparsely occupied special dorm on the Beaufort Campus, so I spoke with Prissy's Mom, Madeline about Mimi staying with our kids in her home.

Mimi would flip-flop living between Durham and Beaufort the same as our kids. But Mimi's future housing is up in the air until she meets and interacts with our 8-young ones, especially Prissy and Missy.

Done at the track, Mimi's relaxing in our apartment chatting happily with us six older Freshers. We're waiting for Mom and Dad's arrival with the younger kids.

Finally, the door flies open and 8-kids stampede into our place like a herd of spooked cattle.

Lyaine leads the charge heading for big sis, Daisy D, abruptly skidding to a halt seeing the new girl, Mimi. Twisting her neck left and right between Mimi and her big sis Daisy D, Lyaine shifts her direction sprinting to Mimi.

She grins crawling onto Mimi's lap, "What's your name and why are you at my sister's place?"

Mimi holds Lainey tightly, "My name's Mimi and I'm lonely, so will you be my friend?"

Lainey wiggles in closer, "Oh Yeah, I'll be your friend but you must also be friends with all of us."

Missy walks over to Mimi, looking puzzled, Milly hot on her trail, "Hi Mimi, I'm Missy, how old are you and why are you lonely?"

Mimi sadly, "I'm almost 16 Missy, and meet Ava and Dania today running in the garden. I don't know anyone at Duke, so they buy me hot chocolate."

Prissy moves near them, stepping in to hug Mimi, "I'm Prissy and am 15 too; one day I'm sitting at the track lonely without any friends. Then Ava, Dania, Sherry, and Ellis smile and say we're friends, let's eat ice cream."

She hugs Mimi, "I was sad being lonely and don't want you to be alone. So Missy 14, Jill, 10, Milly, 8, Aron, 5, Lyaine, Calvin, and Owen, 6 are your friends, all tackling and hugging Mimi

Milly yells, "Mimi, Prissy's Jill's special sister, Missy's my special sister, so you're now Lyaine's special sister, and need a call or nickname. After you get your call name, we six girls are special sisters to our 3-brothers."

Mimi smiles cutely at Lyaine, "Okay, special sister Lyaine, I need a call name, so you give it to me?"

We, six college freshers, and my Mom and Dad are speechless with the instantaneous bonding between Mimi and our 8-kids, so wisely keep out of the fray.

Lainey thinks deeply about a call sign for Mimi. Suddenly, her face lights up, "I choose Mimi's call sign to be Issy!"

The happy hugging and kissing go on for a long time, welcoming Mimi (Issy) to our family.

Initially, Issy's Duke schedule will be a juggling act, but doable especially if she makes the Women's Track team. The kids attend our home meets, so we all stay in Durham for these meets, the kids at Missy's home, with Mom Madeline.

Issy's brilliant, IQ-138 so she can easily study at either, the Beaufort or Durham campus.

The big question mark is Issy's paralyzed Mom, who's noncommittal to Duke's relocation offer. Moms Madelinee and Needra convince the administration to offer Issy's Mom, free relocation to Durham and Medical care by Duke Medical School's Senior physicians.

We hope she will jump at the chance to live closer to Issy (FOC), but so far she's quiet as a mouse.

To Be Continued:

Coming Soon

Running From Love Pt: 04 - Conclusion

Billyslate Copyright © 2024