Running From Wolves Ch. 04

Story Info
The past has a way of catching up to you.
5.1k words
4.67
13.1k
40

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/28/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greetings readers. I've kept you patiently waiting for long enough. I've been working on this for a while now, and at present, I have two chapters waiting to go out, I'll post one now, and one in a few days. Thank you for reading.

*****

Jail Break was a bar built in the relics of an old prison, and the girls carried around shot-glass test tubes in outfits tiny enough to earn a decent tip. Isaac, the owner, was the kind of man who wore five-o-clock shadow all day, and stuck with a roughed-up t-shirt and jeans. Still, he could smile with the best of them, his eyes reading right through you. The guy had helped Ashlynn out big time when she had rolled up into the small Pennsylvania town and popped up at a nearby restaurant desperate for a job. Having been eating his breakfast a table over when she had been pleading with the owner, he had interjected with an easy smile, and said, "Hey, I think I may have something for you." For the first time in a while, she felt like luck was on her side.

Dressed in a pair of skinny jeans that seemed painted to her ass and a lace shirt that was more decorative than purposeful, Audrey (as she had chosen to call herself this time) had started work for the charming young entrepreneur that following evening, grateful beyond belief. She studied the crowd and worked the room, smiling at college boys and lowering her lashes seductively at more experienced men.

Feeling safe under her new boss' protective gaze, she let loose. The locals seemed to know better than to let their fingers tarry where they weren't wanted, for which she was more than grateful. The music raged as she floated around selling drinks and letting men tuck bills in the back pocket of her jeans. One of the other girls had helped her line her eyes in charcoal and her lips in ruby, and she had never felt so seductive.

As she popped back to the bar to refill, she heard Isaac's deep voice pierce the loud beats of the club music. "How's it going?" he asked, looking at her with concern.

Ashlynn grinned, "Awesome. I haven't had this much fun in a while, and the money is great."

Isaac nodded looking away, his eyes distant. "Good, just let me know if anyone gives you trouble, yeah?" he said, his eyes scanning the room for trouble.

Ashlynn nodded, "Sure thing, boss."

He nodded, "I won't keep you. Have fun out there," he said, turning back and disappearing into the back room.

Ashlynn smiled big, all charm and white teeth, drifting back into the crowd. By the time they closed, she had enough money tucked into her clothes to cover what she had made in a week at the last place. Isaac was behind the bar closing out, and only two other girls, coworkers of hers, lingered on bar stools. Maya, a tiny pixie of a girl was running her eyes over Isaac like he was dinner, and the other girl, Lilith, seemed content to poke at the snappy little thing.

"Tuck your tongue in sweetie, you're drooling," Lilith nudged.

Flushing a shade of red that could have matched the crayon, Maya huffed back, "Like you know anything. I don't see anyone around here waiting to take you home."

Lilith chuckled and tossed her head, long enough to catch a glimpse of Ashlynn. "Yeah, well take a look at the new girl," Lilith cat-called, deliberately loud enough to catch Ashlynn's attention. Ashlynn nodded, walking over to join them, trying to hide the nerves in her smile. Lilith shook her head, grinning, "Look at this: long legs, hot as sin, and utterly disinterested in losing her pants. How does anyone compete with that?"

Ashlynn chuckled. "Thanks, I think."

"Hey, Izz, can we get some shots over here, bro?" Lilith called, out to Isaac, who to his credit barely looked up from his counting.

"Get 'em yourself, Lil."

"My feet hurt. Please, big brother?" she pouted, unbearably cute in that moment. Ashlynn could even see the resemblance from the roguish blonde to her grouchy older brother.

"I got it," Ashlynn offered, leaving her purse on the bar and wandering around. Pulling a tray of undrunk test tubes, she put it in front of them on the bar.

Isaac huffed as he pushed the drawer shut. "Lil, watch yourself please, and lock up for the night when you're done," he warned intensely, staring her down. Ashlynn stilled as she watched him hand over the keys like he was handing her a heavy burden.

"Chillax, Bro, it's not like we're going anywhere. New girl lives upstairs now, and I bet if we asked super nice, she'd let us crash on the couch," Lil said looking to Ashlynn for confirmation.

Ashlynn had to give the girl props. Lilith was pushy as hell, but the girl knew exactly how to get what she wanted. "I'll take care of them, Isaac. It'll be fine."

He gave me a half smile. "Keep her close or she's liable to get into all sorts of trouble."

Grabbing a bar stool, Ashlynn heard the door shut behind Isaac followed by the click of the lock. Lilith was all grins as she threw back a shot."So spill," she said, her glass clinking sharply back on the bar.

Ashlynn's eyes followed the tattoo that circled her wrist, almost tribal with moons and stars layered in on each other. She maintained her silence.

The girl pressed on, "That pretty face has to have one or two admirers lurking out in this great big world. Lord knows my brother is already a lost cause. Thus, I repeat: spill your beans."

Raising her eyes to study the girl in front of her, Ashlynn's expression darkened. Discussions with strangers at bars seemed to be a recurring mistake for her. Ashlynn reached out, grabbed a shot, and knocked it back. Grimacing, she poured another and chased it down.

"So, there was someone," Maya giggled. Dropping into the stool on the other side of Ashlynn, she stared, wide-eyed and expectantly. "So spill, what is he like?"

"I do not have a solid track record with men," Ashlynn sighed, leaning back and balancing on two legs of the stool. "And I am far too sober to talk about this one."

"Man, someone did a number on you, snowflake. Did he cheat?" Lil asked, bluntly.

Ashlynn dropped hard back onto all four legs of the stool, the sound echoing. "He would never," she offered, sinking until the back of her neck rested on the back of the bar stool.

"Beat you? Steal from you? Leave you?"

Unshed tears burned at Ashlynn's eyes, but her voice was steady. "No."

"Do you still love him?" Maya asked, dreamy eyed, trying to picture a prince charming to go with the pretty young waitress. Because despite how thin and worn she looked when no one was looking, that smile was enough to make most of the men in the bar bumble when she was speaking to them.

"The world is never that black and white, is it?" Ashlynn finally answered, far away in recollections of the ring she had laid down on his kitchen table, along with a small pile of the only belongings she had to her name. Now, her heart was in her stomach as she reached out and downed a third test tube shot.

Lilith smiled. "Let me guess, you were looking for a quick lay and found prince charming?"

Ashlynn shook her head, glaring sharply at Lilith, but the girl just studied her back. She was fishing, but Ashlynn was not telling, no matter how on point it might have been. "What about you? What's your excuse?" she found herself pressing back.

"No excuse; I'm more fluid. I don't like the idea of committing to one person forever. And the ladies I swing towards are rarely looking for more than an excuse to try something new for the night before heading back to their cookie-cutter lives," she said, her eyes narrowing like she was daring Ashlynn to say a word about her sexuality.

Maya rolled her eyes at their guarded judgements, but Ashlynn just threw back another shot. "Yeah, I buy that."

"Slow down, feisty pants," Lil said, laughing.

Ashlynn drew herself upright, her eyes running over Lilith again. She studied the contours of her muscles, the styled chin-length blue-black hair, lingering on her lips painted the same ruby color as her own. "You know, I would have been better off with someone like you," Ashlynn said, lowering her lashes, her eyes flickering back to the tattoo on Lilith's wrist. Something about it bothered her. She knew those symbols; knew them and yet could not place them. Meanwhile, the shots had already begun to shift into liquid courage.

Lilith's gaze darkened, "Hey, don't tease me, sweetheart."

"Guys, I'm right here," reminded Maya pointedly, but neither stirred.

Ashlynn leaned forward down the bar. "Then watch and learn," she breathed, before letting her lips brush softly against Lilith's. In less than a breath, Lilith's hand was wrapped through her hair, and had her tongue pressing for entry.

Moaning, Ashlynn settled against the bar, letting the warm teasing feeling wash over her. This wasn't anything like kissing Blaise. Blaise was hot, fast and fierce; this was slow and delicate, like drops of water slowly running down smooth, bare flesh. Lilith traced her tongue across every surface of her mouth, not vying for dominance, just possessing the space, and twining with hers, her lips delicate and soft. After a long moment, Lilith was the one to pull back, leaving her knuckles rubbing across Ashlynn's breathless cheekbones.

"I'm not usually big on rebound sex, but for you, I think I can make an exception. What do you say we put the little one to bed, and I show you exactly how much fun we can have?" she said, her voice husky and promising.

Ashlynn felt a lurch in her stomach. It was sweet, and she suspected the pleasure would be more than worth the trouble, but her heart wasn't in it. She offered a smile. "Thank you, and rain check, but I just left the love of my life behind- for the second time. While a kiss is simple, sex is not. When I give someone my body again, I want to mean it," she said, running her hand down the curve of Lil's side, fondly, but there was a hint of a sob in her voice. And like the first drop of rain after a drought, the tears escaped in a sudden downpour.

Shuddering, she couldn't stop the sobs as the soft curve of Lilith's skin reminded her of the hard panes of muscle she wanted to feel. Reminded her of the intensity of emotion that usually followed that breathless kiss, she felt so hollow. Tears ran rivers, even as Lil wrapped her arms, and held her tight. "Maya, go get some tissues and make some tea."

"But I. . ."

"Maya," she cut, and Maya scurried away, leaving Lilith to soothe her.

Ashlynn sobbed and shook. "I'm so sorry. You were just so sweet, and I. . ."

Lilith spat, self-derisively. "I'm not that sweet; I pushed too hard and I'm old enough to know better. You need to talk all this out, before you break your insides trying to deal with things alone. So, why don't I break the ice?" Ashlynn listened from inside her own storm as Lilith continued. "Hello, my name is Lilith, and I'm fae."

Ashlynn sobbed harder again, her eyes burning, as she choked out. "Goddess, I need to stop running into the supernatural like this."

"Yeah, well supernatural creatures tend to attract each other like magnets. Hence your fate. Maya, is just sensitive; I think she may have had a smidge of fae in her, once upon a time, but you? You gotta be something else. You reek of wolf, but you aren't one. It's how I knew you had someone," she said, patting Ashlynn's hair as the sobs slowed, her distracted mind pulling her from her waves.

Lilith continued, drawing back, but holding Ashlynn's hand supportively, she pulled out a napkin and handed it to her, as mascara stained her now red cheeks. "Frankly, you're a mystery wrapped in an enigma, and you're hot as hell. So I'm betting succubus. Maya bet siren. And Izzy thinks you might be part-fae. So, talk to me. If we wanted to hurt you, you'd already be in worse shape."

Ashlynn was still breathless as she spoke, "I can't get away. I can never get away."

"Oh sweetie, I understand. Believe me, I understand," she said, squeezing her hand gently.

Maya returned with tea and tissues. "I think we broke her," Maya noted as she put the tea in front of them, and Ashlynn let the aroma soothe her.

Taking a tissue, Ashlynn dabbed at her eyes and nose and took several deep breaths. "Witch."

Lilith smirked. "Well, that's not so bad. There are many kinds of witches out there and most are kind of badass. So what's the problem?"

"I was raised by generations of humans, but my family line came from a darker sort. My mother forsook her magic for a mortal love, as did my grandmother. That was to be my path, but I kind of screwed up."

*************************************************************************************

"Ashlynn, thank you for letting me help you celebrate. I know it's been a rough few months, but your newest installation? It was breathtaking," Blaise said, grinning from across the table, his eyes alight as he stared at her adoringly.

She had put in the extra effort when he had said they were going out, and she was grateful now as she sat in silken white dress in the swankiest restaurant he could have found. Her long hair swept up from her neck, her lips glossed, Ashylnn was wearing the kind of lingerie she expected someone to see later. Her heart was speeding as she stared deep into those beautiful green eyes. Under his care, she had slowly healed, and in those months, his tender patience had long since pressed beyond her defenses.

They would never be perfect, but maybe she didn't need them to be. Honestly, when she'd woken in the hospital, she had given him hell. If anyone had told her then, that she would ever find that controlling personality of his endearing, she might have punched them in the face. Still, here and now, she had fallen for him. In this moment, she was the happiest she had ever been.

Blaise was starting to shift nervously in his seat, and Ashlynn chuckled to herself. She half expected where the evening was heading already, and felt close to bursting. "I need to freshen up; I'll be back in a moment, alright?" she said, rising and kissing the nervous wolf on the cheek before pulling back. Her heart leapt with joy and wonderment, and she saw the unparalleled love in his eyes. Whatever it had taken for them to get here; she could not be more grateful. For him, maybe she could surrender every wall she had left.

She practically waltzed across the dining room, barely dodging waiters and other guests. Halfway through the dining room, though, a chill rolled down her spine, stopping her cold. She spun around, glancing for anything amiss, and realized the entire service had stopped still. The silence was the first cue as she glanced around and saw a man with a spoon half-raised and still. A waiter was pouring wine that slowly overflowed, pooling on the table first, then blooming across a man's dress clothes and spilling out onto the floor. And facing Ashlynn, from no more than an arm's length away, was a woman who could have been her mother's sister. Young, beautiful, and wicked calm. Cold as ice, with eyes that saw further than anything that Ashlynn could perceive. Silken white hair pulled into a rigid bun, features elusively youthful, and utterly breathtaking, and eyes as purple as light shadowed on dark skies stared Ashlynn down.

"Why hello, Ashlynn. It is a pleasure. I am Blaire, your great grandmother, and you, my dear, are quite the sight for sore eyes."

"But how can you be..." Ashlynn, stumbled back, shaking.

"Tch..." she cut off with her fingers, and Ashlynn raised clawed fingers to a throat which suddenly failed to produce sound.

"I am here to awaken the first of Luna's daughters in almost a century born to my bloodline who was not a disappointment. Welcome my dear, to the Murdock family tree. Welcome to your inheritance."

In that moment, she freed her voice and Ashlynn choked in thick breaths glancing around to see Blaise, who had been watching her walk away. That warm gaze so filled with love, it calmed her heart. Giving her much needed assurance.

"Not that I don't appreciate whatever it is you want to give me, but there is nothing I want from you. I'm happy as I am," Ashlynn replied, calmly, trying to smile with more confidence and strength than she possessed. The cold eyes that met hers carried no understanding.

Blaire's mouth went grim. "You fail to understand me child, this is not an at your will endeavor, nor is it a choice. Do not toy with what you do not yet understand, or I will break whatever it takes, to make you comprehend what you're up against."

The next moment she disappeared, reappearing behind Blaise, staring down at him, coldly. "A damn mutt, and you want to surrender the power of the moon's rays for his bane and curse? It would be a far better thing for me to take care of him now, and save you the tragedy of such an affair."

Blair held out her hand, and a blade, shimmering silver in the lights of the frozen room glinted as she raised to strike. For a moment the world went red, and Ashlynn screamed in horror, "Noooooo," she begged. A piercing cry rattled hard enough to shatter every glass in the room as she surged forward. Blair grinned dropping the knife at the sound, while Ashlynn froze in bewilderment.

Blaire smiled, a crooked fearsome thing with more victory than joy. "Good, my child. Very good. I'll tell you what," she said, and her eyes sharpened darkly. "I won't kill the mutt today, but you will not stain yourself by continuing on with such a creature. It is abhorrent enough that my line has been sullied by so many mortals, but I will not see it so fallen as to mix lines with a wolf. Break it off, my dear girl, or I will break him," With that, she was gone, and food service restarted, the glasses were repaired, but the sound of the waiter apologizing for the mess as an offended gentleman guffawed at the red spill on his suit.

Ashlynn's eyes widened as she saw Blaise's momentarily confused face before she scurried to the bathroom, slamming the stall shut behind her. Pulse racing. Mind running a thousand miles a minute. She pressed her back into the cool wood, panting. The floor in the corner of her eyes glinted with the refraction of ceiling light on marble, and her mind isolated on that knife, that shining knife that almost ended the only thing that she had come to allow herself to want. That knife, even Blaise couldn't have stopped. She had no idea what she was up against, but she knew now with certainty that Blaise would not be able to stop it. Her mind was running with millions of threads she wasn't ready to piece together right then, but there was one thread that thrummed louder than any of the rest of them. Blair would kill Blaise if she stayed.

"Blaise," she mouthed, her heart overwhelmed as she saw that roguish smile, lit only by the hearth's glow in her mind's eye. No, she warned mentally, trying to find a wall, any perch to stand on. He had nearly gotten her killed, now his pursuit of her had nearly ended him as well. She let herself focus in on that anger, pick up every bit of it she could muster, because this was it. If she was going to help him, she needed to recall every reason she had ever considered for why they shouldn't be together, and she needed to make those justifications concrete. She had no idea what would happen in the next few hours, or days, or months or years. Long term planning and thinking would come later. For now, when she left that bathroom, she only needed to make one choice. One choice that was more painful than any other she had ever put herself through. The moment she opened that bathroom door, putting on a masking smile, she already knew she would be gone before morning light.

And when a ring had appeared in her dessert and he had knelt at her side; she had promised he would have an answer soon. Well, she had meant that, too.

12