Running into Coverage Ch. 02

Story Info
Fashionably late and a party can only lead to flirtation.
11.2k words
4.78
30.5k
16

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/18/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Many thanks again to Estragon for everything. Words can never fully express the amount gratitude for your help and edits.

As always, comments/feedback/suggestions are always welcomed.

Cheers!

****

"Dammit! How in the hell am I supposed to find anything?" Hadley exclaimed to herself while she was driving. "Give a girl some mountains, something!" She blew out a frustrated breath and looked down at the directions Sam had given her on how to get to the house. She had gotten off at the right exit, turned left, gone down four miles—she had gotten lost.

One of the traffic lights turned red, giving her a minute to glance around for landmarks. Spotting a Dunkin' Donuts and a small insurance company, she picked up the phone and called Samantha. The telephone rang several times and went unanswered. Of course it did, she thought. She's hosting a party and figured you'd find your way to her house. Shaking her head as the light turned green, Hadley reached down and re-examined the directions. Carefully glancing down and back up at the road, she caught her fatal mistake and had missed a turn off.

Looking for the nearest street where she could turn around, Hadley swiftly got back on track and within ten minutes finally pulled up into the long drive leading to the house. Expensive cars littered the drive and the paved area surrounding the house. Her trusty little Civic did her justice and got her from one place to the next, and she decided it was just as good as some over-the-top gas guzzler. She parked the car and got out as people were walking around outside. Loud voices were bellowing out from behind the house, so she assumed there was something happening back there. Music was playing but not blaring, as it seemed there were children running around.

Just as she started to walk up the front steps leading toward the house, a voice she would recognize anywhere called out to her. "You're late!"

"Yeah, well blame my den mother. She gave crap directions."

"I gave you the easiest directions ever!"

"Okay, yeah you did. How do you even get around here? I got lost." Hadley stepped off of the porch and walked to the woman.

Laughing, Samantha rushed over and hugged Hadley. "I am so glad you're here!" For several minutes, the two hugged, laughed and hugged some more. "I still can't get over you moved to Chicago."

Nodding, "It's crazy, right?"

"Crazy, but it works! I want to hear everything. You were whispering yesterday so I have no idea what's going on with your roommate."

"Oh my God, Sam. I need a drink first."

"That can be done, but first you have to come in so you can get introduced." Hadley raised a fine eyebrow at her friend. "It's standard, sorry. And please, as if you don't want to give Gabe a hard time!"

"It's my job. This is really your house?" She followed Samantha around the side of the house to where there were a gaggle of men and women lounging around with cups and beer bottles in their hands. The luscious aroma from the grill filled the air.

"Yes, but it still doesn't feel like I live here. Don't get me wrong, our stuff is scattered all over the place, but home is at the cabin." Samantha waved over to her fiancé and he amiably walked over to the women, a big smile across his face at the sight of Hadley.

As if he'd known her for a lifetime, but really only met a couple of times in person, Gabe Russell pulled Hadley in for a giant bear hug causing her to squeak. "You smell like coffee."

She struggled but managed to get out of his grasp, gasping she gave him a pointed look. "You smell like pigskin and it's giving me a headache."

If she'd expected to offend him, she should have known better. Gabe only laughed; "I'm not hearing any complaints."

Hadley shook her head and flapped her hands, "I just complained!" Laughing, she turned to Samantha.

"Don't look at me, I live with this."

"Glad you made it, Hadley. What are you drinking? And if you tell me something skim I'm handing you a beer."

"Wine would be fine, thanks Gabe."

Before walking away to grab a drink for Hadley, Gabe turned and gave a swift kiss across Samantha's lips. The sight of the two of them together made the humid air thicker to breathe. Samantha slipped her arm through Hadley's and walked her along the backyard, introducing her. Several of the people around had said their hellos, others nodded and kept on with their conversations. Grabbing the drinks from Gabe, Samantha steered them into the house where Hadley got the full tour. Pictures were scattered on the walls, some from Gabe and others from Samantha and then several of the two of them together.

The house was definitely comfortable, but she knew her friend all too well and understood immediately. Even though the couple had been living within the confines of familiar articles, the house itself seemed a little more closed off, something that was definitely a far cry from who the residents really were. As they made their way back down, rather than heading back into the backyard, Hadley followed Samantha to the front porch. Before they made it outside, however, Hadley froze in place causing Samantha to jerk slightly.

Hadley's eyes were riveted on a large picture that hung on the wall near the front door. Her eyes widened and her chest expanded. "This looks wonderful here."

Samantha rested her head on Hadley's shoulder. "I know, thank you for this one. I had this up at the cabin and made Gabe take it down to bring it here. There are just some things that you need to make a place feel like home, and this is one of those things."

Hadley had spent so many nights haunted by visions for the canvas she had painted for them. One night, she had been lying in bed when all of the sudden the idea came at her. Her friend had always loved flowers, so naturally she started to use the shape of a single stem as the foundation. In the hours of the evening, her hand became possessed, the colors combined to create such variations and textures that by the time she finished it—it was one of her finest. Her works had all bits of metal infused with the paints, but Samantha's was different. It was to embody a powerful union of people that was rich and true. Through deep reds and piercing ambers, the flower became a tree filled with branches extending out. Naturally abstract, it represented the life Sam and Gabe were creating. It touched her, that they had taken the canvas with them from one house to the next.

"Okay, sit. We won't get bothered out here." Samantha gestured to the glider on the porch and both women sat down.

"So how was your class yesterday?"

"Nope, this is all about you." Samantha took a sip of wine and glanced at Hadley from the rim of the plastic cup.

Hadley caved, and threw her hands over her eyes. "My roommate is crazy! I mean that in the nicest way possible, I really do." Encouraged by Samantha's laugh, she went on. "The girl is always at the apartment, and I mean that. I keep telling her to get out and do something, but she says school is more important. I just don't get her."

"It's only been a week, Had. You are a person of interest, I'd be curious too. "

"I'm no more interesting than she is. We talk, have coffee and everything else. I can't help that I want to get outside and look at the buildings or go to an art gallery. Which, by the way is it just me or is everyone ridiculously nice here?"

"What do you mean?"

"The other day, I was walking around and stumbled into this gallery and started talking with a curator. Well, one thing led to another and I sort of got invited to an opening for an artist from Paris. I guess he's coming into town for the event. Seems fun."

"It's not just you. It's how things are here. People will open up and tell you their whole life stories in minutes."

"That's just you!"

"Yeah, that is just me. I am serious though, you'll notice that more and more the longer you are here."

As the women got caught up, they both seemed to be drinking in each other's words and had not realized how much time had slipped by. An oversized SUV came roaring into the parking lot, pulling Samantha's attention away from their current topic of her upcoming nuptials.

"Here comes trouble." She muttered and took another sip of her wine. Hadley followed the gaze as a man who appeared in his later twenties shuffled up to the porch. Everything about him screamed sex appeal and international affair. Hadley took note of his designer jeans that hugged his muscular legs but left room for the imagination. With the heated September day, the man disregarded the warmth and chose fashion over humidity. He wore a stylish wrinkled button up that he'd left un-tucked from the jeans. A slim pair or silver rimmed sunglasses covered his eyes, which were focused on the two of them on the glider.

"Ladies."

Samantha sniffed. Instantly Hadley turned to her and laughed. Her friend had crossed her arms over her chest. "You have absolutely no excuses, Mr. Jennings, for being tardy."

"I'm not one of your students, Sam, I had things to do this morning. If your loving husband hasn't already told you that."

"He's not my husband yet, but that's beside the point. I'm still mad at you for how you just left that poor girl at the bar the other night." Hadley's eyes had gone back and forth between the two. She knew Samantha well enough that she was giving this man a run for his money.

"You set me up with a stalker, what else would you expect me to have done?" The man removed his sunglasses and placed them in the breast pocket of his shirt, his cool blue eyes slowly taking in Hadley.

"I didn't know she was a jersey chaser until you said something. She seemed so normal and fun."

"She's fun, I'll give you that. Normal, that's one I'd reconsider."

Realizing that she had completely forgotten Hadley, Samantha introduced her. "Sorry Hadley. This is Marcus Jennings, he plays for the Cougars. Marcus, this is my good friend Hadley Wilkerson."

Marcus nodded, his gaze held firm on her but he remained silent. Arrogance oozed from his stance, but Hadley recognized the trait and knew it all too well so she spoke for him. "Nice to meet you, Marcus Jennings."

Inside the house, someone shouted at the sight of Marcus through the glass windows lining the front of the house. Craning his neck, he looked beyond the women and shrugged his shoulders. Samantha shook her head at his quiet motion, "Oh just go! But do me a favor and bring a bottle of white wine out here will you?"

Marcus laughed as he climbed the stairs. "Why don't you get that lazy lug to bring it to you?"

"Because that lazy lug was with you this morning, and he needs a break. You on the other hand, don't get one."

"Sam, don't worry about it. I'll go in and grab the bottle." Hadley interrupted their friendly banter and started to rise. "I could use some water anyway."

Samantha teased her friend. "What's the point of having all of these guys around the house and you still end up doing all of the work?"

All three of them laughed, and Hadley followed Marcus into the house. As soon as he was inside someone pulled him into one of the rooms while she continued to head toward the kitchen. The house was definitely overwhelming, something Samantha had warned her it would be. It still surprised her to see both players and coaches spending so much time together, even off the field. Using the kitchen faucet, she poured a small glass of water and enjoyed a quiet moment. It seemed like a crazy lifestyle and she commended her friend for embracing it. Hadley found herself kind of glad that she didn't have to worry about game schedules and which of the wives to be friends with. Grabbing one of the bottles of wine from the refrigerator she quieted the clutter in her mind in order to let loose and have a little more fun.

****

Marcus was talking to a few of the guys, but couldn't give his full attention to the current conversation. While the guys were talking about the game the following day, Marcus' mind was occupied, thinking about the blonde sitting next to Samantha. Even though she had been sitting, he figured she couldn't be all that tall and was quite comfortable with herself. The blonde seemed like someone who walked around her own way, and could care less what anyone thought of her, especially anyone judging someone wearing cowboy boots on a humid day. It didn't surprise him that she was friends with Sam. Over the past year, he had become close to Gabe and Samantha, but still didn't the slightest clue as to who Hadley was.

A booming voice broke through his thoughts, "J—get out of the way for her."

Snapping his eyes, Marcus turned and saw Hadley trying to squeeze through the crowded front room with a bottle in her hand. A crooked smile kicked up at the corner of his mouth. Shifting his muscular frame to open some space for her, Marcus walked over to get the front door for her.

"You overwhelmed yet?"

Smiling, Hadley looked up into a pair of piercing eyes that were dancing with intrigue. "Not a bit."

"You sure about that one?" The tone of his voice filled with curiosity making the meaning questionable.

She saw right through his fake demeanor. "Didn't you know, I already got all of the boys in the back lined up for shots."

Marcus raised a brow and held the door for her. "You're serious?"

"Very. Though I didn't see you had signed up so I'm guessing you're the one who's a bit overwhelmed."

Very few times did Marcus get taken aback, but the woman had taken the words right out of him. Laughing, he shook his head ruefully. When he recovered, he pointed a thumb over his shoulder. "Those guys won't do anything with the coaches here."

"That's what the coaches said about you." In her cowboy boots, Hadley reared up on her tip toes which hadn't gotten her very taller, and dropped her voice. "Are you afraid of a little shot here and there?"

Without allowing him to respond, she gave him a wicked grin and turned on her boot heels, heading back out to the porch. Marcus stared for a good minute trying to know where in the hell that had come from. It wasn't often a girl had turned the tables on him. He joined in the conversation between several of the other players, which was not surprisingly being held together by Jamal Wallace, the Cougars' star safety. For a good while, he had gotten pulled into the jokes that were flying among the teammates.

Through the large bay window overlooking the front yard, he kept stealing glances out at the women sitting on the glider. The short blonde was gesturing with her hands and must have said something funny, as Samantha had tumbled over laughing hysterically. The girl--he had already forgotten her name, was shaking her ashy tresses and while turned in the direction of the house, caught a glance at Marcus as he was watching her. Her eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled at him. He should have been embarrassed, but was pleased that she had seen him. Women came easily into his life, and he'd never had any troubles with the ones that had come and gone over the years.

Patting one of his teammates' shoulders, Marcus spoke low. "I need a refill. Anyone else?" All of the guys who were huddled together declined the offer, so Marcus made his way into the backyard where the majority of the coaches were sitting with their families. It didn't shock Marcus that the groups were separated. It was as if the guys were being chaperoned, only the separate lines didn't bother him and he gladly crossed over.

Gabe sat in one of the many wicker chairs along the side of the house. Seeing an open chair next to him Marcus grabbed a couple of beers from the cooler and gestured one out to Gabe before sitting.

Nodding, the older man took the long-neck. "Thanks."

He took a sip from his own bottle. "Nice day for this. Thanks again for helping me out this morning."

Gabe took a swig of the amber ale. "Anytime. Sam was bustling around this morning, so I was more than happy to get out of her way. When she plans, it's like a storm hits."

"Isn't she planning a wedding right now?"

"Yeah, and I couldn't be happier that it falls right after the season." Marcus didn't believe him for a minute and knew that Gabe would be around to help Samantha out at any time.

"Who's the girl that's sitting with her?" After speaking the words, he nonchalantly tipped the bottle to his own lips.

Gabe gave him a pointed look. "No."

"What are you talking about, no?"

"That's Sam's best friend, there is no way in hell you're going within ten feet of her."

Marcus raised his hand and shrugged his shoulders. "All I was doing was asking about the new girl that is at a party."

Gabe eyed the younger man for several long seconds, so long that Marcus didn't think he'd answer. "She moved here from Seattle. They've been friends for years. She's off limits."

Laughing at the bluntness Gabe was giving him, "Never any faith from either one of you. Here I was just asking a few questions."

"We've got faith in you, but you be the one to ask Sam about Hadley and see what kind of response she gives you. Your track record isn't very admirable. This was a fair warning."

"Fair enough." Marcus took another swig before venturing the topic that always made its way between the two men. "How do you think tomorrow's going to go?"

"It can only go one of two ways. Everyone's run through the plays more than enough times and you all know by now how to attack the Saints. We'll have to wait and see what happens on the field."

Marcus leaned back in the stiff chair and talked with Gabe. A few of the other coaches joined in before long and soon he found himself forgetting about Hadley and was enjoying himself with the people around him. Being around everyone brought him back into the mindset he needed to be in. The game tomorrow was crucial and he had to be in top form. Nothing could rattle him, and if it could, he couldn't afford it.

****

Later that night, Gabe was gathering the last of the paper plates and stuffing them into a garbage bag. Samantha was lounging in the house on the overstuffed couch, relaxing from a job well done. Together they had cleaned up for the most part, but she had put the cookout together so he sent her in the house and told her that he would finish up. Tossing the last garbage bag on the side of the house, he walked inside and was immediately hit with the scent of vanilla. Smiling, he followed the aroma into the living room to a waiting Sam who was curled up reading a book, several scented candles lit within the room.

"I'd say that was a successful day." As she spoke, Samantha put the book down and lifted up so Gabe could slide on the couch beside her.

Reaching around her, he tilted her chin with his thumb. "You threw a great party, sweetheart." Winking at her, Gabe dropped his lips and kissed her softly, nearly breaking away as she hummed with pleasure.

For several long moments, they sat quietly, taking in the quiet evening. Samantha snuggled closer into his chest, but Gabe was the first to speak. "You and Hadley seemed occupied today, I hardly saw her for more than a hello and then to say goodbye."

Raking her hands along his chest, she spoke quietly. "I know, it's been so long. She was talking about her roommate and then about some of the requests for a few of her pieces out in New York. We sort of lost track of time. I still can't believe that she only packed a single bag and came out here."

Gabe rubbed her side and kissed the top of her head, his lips lingering as he spoke against the soft hair. "What's she running away from?"

"I don't think she's running away from any person in particular, if anything it would be herself. I'm glad she's here, besides I haven't seen her this excited for a long time. Who knows, maybe this move is exactly what she needs right now."