Running with Wolves Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then he caught Garrett's scent again and his instincts responded.

Flint knew what it meant when his wolf responded to a scent in that way and panicked. He tried to shut his wolf out again, destroying what progress they had made.

His instincts surged again, and in their fight for dominance the pain of the human side and the wolf side both trying to force two different forms was enough to give his instincts the upper hand.

Flint howled in pain and backed into the center of the clearing. He was thrashing around in pain, tripping over his own feet then scrambling back up to protect himself from the other wolves. They were approaching him again, getting too close for comfort. He lashed out vocally and with swipes of his claws. The energy surrounding them all was charged with fear and distrust, making an already volatile situation worse. It was just moments away from becoming an all-out fight, when again the humans intervened.

Flint couldn't understand what they were saying, but it made the surrounding wolves pause. They were all still on edge, and ready to engage at any moment, but they stopped their approach long enough for the two humans to reengage him.

"Flint."

Again his name caught Flint's attention. He tried to focus on the one speaking, but his instincts were screaming at him to attack first while he had the chance. He could kill them and escape before more came, he knew he could. But his logical mind was holding on by a thread and held him in place, not allowing him to do anything more than whip his head around frantically to make sure none of the wolves were approaching.

"Come on Flint. I know it's still you. Don't you dare give up and give them their excuse to kill you."

Flint was spinning back and forth, still trying to decide who was the greater threat, who to go after first, who he was going to kill in order to survive.

"You almost had it. Just like when Lark was attacking us. You had it, and then you got scared. What are you so scared of Flint? What is so terrifying that you would rather become a mindless beast than confront it?!"

Flint froze, looking right into Dominic's eyes.

What was he afraid of?

An image flashed in his mind. It was a pup, one that he had been close friends with. Blue Jay. That was his name. He had been a few years older than Flint, reaching puberty at thirteen like all his other year mates. They had played for many years together, and even after Blue Jay shifted he continued to spend time with Flint.

Then one day, Blue Jay had told Flint a secret. They had been in the Den, in one of the common rooms. They had though they were alone when Blue Jay told Flint that he had feelings for someone. A crush. When Flint had asked who it was, Blue Jay had blushed and named one of the boys in his forest running training group. Flint had asked if he liked him or liked liked him, and all his friend had done was blush and look away. Flint had teased him about it, and both had laughed and joked until they had moved on to whatever game they had been playing at the time.

Unfortunately, they had not been alone as they had thought. One of the Theta's assigned to watch over Flint, as he was one of the Alpha's children, had heard their conversation and reported it to Blue Jay's parents. The next day, Blue Jay's father, the elders of the pack, and the Alphas had gathered with Blue Jay and interrogated him about his confession. The situation had gotten worse when Blue Jay admitted that he and the other boy had kissed one time after training. The other boy was also brought in for questioning, and he too admitted to having feelings for Blue Jay. It was platonic, nothing sexual, but the implications were clear and the elders had descended into an infuriated panic. To them, gay wolves were a precursor to horrible events to come, and the boys' parents had agreed, although reluctantly. It was Sol's intervention that had kept the boys alive.

The interrogations had lasted most of the day, and by dinner everyone had heard about it. Blue Jay had been emotionally distraught, and confronted Flint that night. Flint had sworn to him that he had told no one his friend's secret, but Blue Jay hadn't believed him and refused to speak with him from that point forward.

Over the next year, Flint watched as the pack turned on the two boys. At first it had just been the elders, then more aggressive and macho members of the pack had joined in the campaign to force the boys out. Soon they convinced the rest of the pack what a threat the two boys were to their future safety, and it wasn't long after that that Sol had purchased a home in the city and allowed the two boys to leave the Den.

Flint had always blamed himself for what had happened for his friend, and what had transpired after had left a permanent impression on his young mind.

Flint could feel his wolf surface again, but it was not aggressive in its actions. It was simply curious of the scent of Garrett, focusing in on the smell of freshly cut wood and crisp air. Flint once again tried to deny what his wolf was telling him, but he knew now. He probably had always known, deep down.

From the second Flint had discovered his wolf, he had known he was not attracted to females. Even before that he had known, but there was no denying it if his wolf confirmed it. He remembered what it was like watching two beloved and promising pack members suddenly be ostracized and bullied out of the pack and he had been terrified. So he made a decision and refused to acknowledge it.

Everything clicked in that moment for Flint. He hadn't been able to accept a basic part of himself, the fact that he was gay, and therefore he was unable to fully accept his wolf. Until he did accept that part of himself, he would never be able to become a true werewolf and his instincts would continue to gain strength until he was finally done in by them.

Flint howled in pain as his instincts once again took control and tried to force his submission. He fell to the ground, his body once again breaking apart as he tried to reconcile what he had just discovered about himself. His may have admitted the truth to himself, but the fear was still keeping him from taking that final step.

As he lay on the forest floor in pain, Flint suddenly felt hands on his body. He snarled and opened his eyes, seeing both Dominic and Garrett on either side of him. He could feel tears filling his eyes, both from pain and realization. They would not abandon him; they would not disavow him. Even if his own pack pushed him away for what he was, Dominic and his pack would not. There was a sense of comfort when he thought of the way things could have been for him.

Another wave a pain coursed through Flint. He flung his head back, releasing a final howl into the trees.

*

The Den was in a frenzy. Everyone was tense and preparing themselves for the shit storm that was about to hit them full force.

Kate was standing in front of the outer infirmary entrance with Doc Rivers and eight other Thetas and Omegas, awaiting the Patrol Unit to get back from their hunt for Flint.

Kate hated thinking about what was going on out in the forest surrounding the Den, and despised the idea that they were hunting one of their own, but it was the reality of the situation whether she liked it or not.

There was a sudden hair-raising howl from the woods, and then silence. They could all feel their connection to Flint sever. One of the Omega females began to sob, and Kate couldn't deny her eyes were wet as well.

"We mourn when the job is done." Doc Rivers turned to her Unit of wolves. "Prepare multiple beds for emergent cases. There will be wounded and from the amount of blood on the wind they will be critical. I also want two beds prepared for Dominic and Garrett. If they are wounded Magnolia and Garnet will be in charge of taking care of them. Kate," Doc Rivers turned to the red-head. "I assume you will be sending someone to retrieve Flint?"

Kate swallowed hard, nodding. "Dagwood and June will head out once the Patrol Unit gives the all clear."

The scent of blood became stronger as the Patrol Unit came back from killing Flint. Fighting a rogue was never easy. They were one-track minded, aggressive, fast, and so focused on killing they weren't as affected by pain. It made them difficult to kill without someone getting hurt. They would be lucky if no one was dead.

It took another 20 minutes for the wolves to arrive. First to show was Cascade. She immediately shifted and began giving information.

"You have multiple injured coming your way."

"Who is hurt and how bad?" Doc Rivers sent her people to go and prepare accordingly.

"Sage is right behind me. He tried to subdue Flint on his own and was taken down. He has lacerations and puncture wounds all along his right side. He's lost a lot of blood. The human, Garrett, will arrive right after. Cricket broke his ribs on one side and he has a possible dislocation of his left shoulder." At that moment, a wolf came sprinting out of the trees, Sage on his back in human form. He was unconscious from blood loss, but Kate was able to heighten her hearing and catch a faint heartbeat.

Doc Rivers made a quick assessment of the young wolf, lifting his torso to get a look at his chest and stomach. "Take him to bed four." The wolf darted into the Den. "Is there anyone else?"

Cascade was slipping into a pair of sweats an Omega had handed her. "Yes. Cricket is in bad shape. His arm was mauled and he has wounds all over his chest, face, and arms. Cole also got a nasty cut on his left hind leg."

Kate could hear the rest of the pack running towards them. Cole came running out first, his back leg lifted off the ground. One of his Unit was close by helping him stay upright. Poppy was close behind with Garrett on her back and Misty was right next to them with Dominic. Before anyone could look at their injuries, Cole had shifted, using the other wolf to balance.

"Cole, you need to get inside so we can take care of your leg-"

Cole sounded frantic. "Don't worry about me. Just take care of my brother."

"I'm sending Dagwood to retrieve him right now, so let Doc Rivers-" Kate froze, looking at the tree line.

Through the trees came Aspen, followed by Thorn who had a bloody, broken, alive Flint on his back.

"Oh my great Luna." Doc Rivers rushed over to Thorn as he continued jogging towards the Den, her hands fluttering over Flint as if afraid to touch him. His flesh was torn apart, leaking copious amounts of blood everywhere. Thorn's back and sides were a lake of red. Flint's limbs moved oddly, most likely because they were broken in multiple places, and there was no part of him that looked to be without some kind of injury.

But he was alive, which shouldn't be possible.

"Cole." Kate ran up to the wounded Beta and took his arm, helping him limp to the Den entrance. "What the hell happened out there? How is he still alive?"

Cole shook his head, straining to keep his eyes on his brother. "I don't know."

"We all felt him die, Cole. I still can't feel him. Did he not go rogue? Was he able to hold his wolf back after all?"

"No he, he went rogue. He had lost all sense of reason and was completely feral. We were going to kill him but..." Cole looked to where, with the help of a Theta, Dominic was helping Garrett dismount Poppy. "Dominic intervened. I don't know how he was able to bring Flint back, but he did. Flint shifted back to his human form and that's when our bond was severed. None of us have been able to reconnect with him since."

Kate stared at Dominic in disbelief. There had never been a documented case of a rogue coming back to themselves. Once the wolf had gained control, there was no going back and within a few months they burned themselves out and died if a pack didn't get to the first. What had happened today was as incredible as it was impossible.

'Kate?' Cliff entered her mind, his mental voice worried. 'The Alphas will be back soon. What have you heard?' Kate looked around the infirmary, taking in all of the injuries and individuals around her and allowing her mate to see it through her eyes. 'Holy hell. Don't let anyone leave, the Alphas are going to want to speak with all of them. Do you think Flint will survive?'

Kate watched as Doc Rivers worked on Flint, putting temporary splints on all of his limbs. He had stopped bleeding, and it looked like his skin was beginning to knit together. It was too soon to tell if he would actually survive the ordeal, but from his scent he had a fighting chance. He had managed to bond with his wolf after all.

'The Alphas have already arrived. I will inform them of what has happened.'

Kate opened her mind to the mating bond, watching through her mate's eyes as Cliff entered the front greeting room from the second level. Below, he could see the Alphas, Hale, Amethyst, and the twins, all being filled in by the Beta that had been sent to greet them. Amethyst was weeping against her father's chest, Hale was shouting angrily while April tried to keep him calm, but she too was being overcome with emotion. Sol was speaking with the Beta, trying to glean what had happened as best as she could from the other female. The Beta had been sent after Flint's final howl, so she would not be aware of the new development.

"Madam Alpha Sol, Alpha Orion."

Orion looked to Cliff as he rushed down the steps, his eyes full of pain. "Cliff, what is it? Has anyone been seriously injured?" Kate could feel Cliff's regret for his friend's pain. The two males had been friend long before Orion had become Alpha. Cliff never liked to see his longtime friend in distress.

"You need to come to the infirmary, right away."

Orion released his daughter, handing her off to her mother. "What has happened?" They were already rushing through the halls, followed closely by the rest.

"Cliff, what is this about?" Hale was losing what little control he had over his emotions.

"It is Flint." Cliff turned the final corner to the infirmary, the scent of blood thick in the air. "He survived."

As a group they entered the infirmary. Amethyst cried out at the sight of her brother on the bed, rushing to be near him, Hale right behind her.

Before either could get too close Doc Rivers blocked them. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, you can't be near him right now. We still need to work on him."

"What the hell happened?! Flint? Come on Flint, talk to me!" Hale tried sidestepping the doctor but Kate also stepped in.

"Hale, let the Doc do her job. He's in good hands." Kate maneuvered both siblings gently but firmly back out of the way. Doc Rivers went back to helping Flint, wrapping bandages around his arms and guiding one of the Thetas in putting in a large bore I.V. "Listen I know you want to help him, but the only way for you to do that is to let everyone do their job."

Sol ignored Kate, stepping right up to Flint's side. "Brigid?" The doctor lifted her eyes briefly to acknowledge her Madam Alpha. "Is he going to survive this?"

Doc Rivers broke eye contact so she could evaluate the body before her. "He is severely hurt. His body was torn to shreds by the forced transformation. Most every bone, muscle, and ligament is damaged to some degree and he will need at least one blood transfusion to replenish what he lost. However, he has somehow managed to bond with his wolf and for that reason alone I believe he may have a chance of making it through this alive. I will not make you any promises, Madam Alpha, but yes, I do think he will survive this."

Sol looked near tears as she nodded to the lead physician and stepped away from her youngest child, allowing the Medical Unit to treat Flint unencumbered. She walked over to the wall of windows and placed herself in her mate's arms, needing the comfort and stability he would give her. Kate backed off, convinced the Alpha family would not impede Flint's medical care any farther.

"Mom, Dad." Misty was standing with Cole, helping him into a bed of his own. He had refused to accept any sort of medical care until everyone else was worked on.

"Cole. Are you alright?" Sol went to her son, helping him into place on the bed. She began looking him over and found the wound on his thigh. She called over a Theta to begin cleaning and bandaging the wound. "What happened?"

Cole waved the Theta away, trying to see around his mother so he could watch Flint. "I am fine. Flint got me when we were fighting and I wasn't being careful enough. It will heal by tomorrow night. They should be focusing on helping Flint."

Sol purposefully blocked her son's view of his brother. She cut him off as he tried to protest again. "Your brother has all the help that they can give him at once, and there is nothing you yourself can do for him right now, so sit still and let Dipper take a look at you."

Cole opened his mouth again, but one stern look had him conceding to his mother's command. "Now, Misty, you were the one keeping watch over Flint when we left for the Den this morning, so tell us what happened."

Kate sat up on the bed next to Cole's, Cliff joining her as she listened to Misty recounted her side of the story. She only listened with half an ear, also focusing on the Doc and her medical team working on the wounded.

Cricket was lying unconscious in his bed, an I.V. dosing him with enough painkillers to knock him out cold. A couple of Thetas were setting his arm and taping his wounds together so as to avoid scaring. It would take him at least a couple weeks to completely heal from how mangled his arm was, and even then he may lose his status as a Beta and become a Theta.

Sage was conscious and refusing any meds, instead choosing to endure the pain in order to flirt with the Omegas taking care of him, which had Kate rolling her eyes. Garrett was just finishing getting an x-ray in a separate room. He was coming back onto the main floor of the infirmary, being pushed around in a wheelchair. He looked uncomfortable but was handling the situation well, considering.

Other than the action around Flint and the heated conversation going on behind her, everything had calmed down considerably. The only one who seemed to be under any kind of strain was Dominic.

Watching him as he sat on a bed on the opposite side of the infirmary, Kate noticed how he was fidgety, restless. His eyes wouldn't settle for more than a second, and his hands were almost pulling his hair out of his head. His bent knee never stopped bouncing. The guy looked about ready to crawl out of his skin.

When Garrett was rolled over to the bed next to him, he also noticed the change in Dominic's behavior.

"Dom, you okay? What's wrong?"

Dominic shook his head, glancing around the room as if worried they would easedrop. He didn't notice Kate's surveillance.

"I don't know. Something's been off ever since Flint turned back.... I don't know, I'm sure it's nothing." Garrett didn't seem convinced but let it slide for the time being. Kate turned her attention back to the conversation going on behind her. Things had really gotten heated between Hale and Misty.

"I can't believe you let them anywhere near him. He was fine until you-"

"He was NOT fine, Hale! He was dying, and his last request of me was to let him see Dominic and his pack one last time. I didn't see any harm in it."

"Well obviously there was harm-"

"Enough, both of you." Sol put an end to the bickering. "There is no blame here, and we have more pressing matters. Orion, have you been able to reestablish your connection with Flint?"

Orion was leaning against Cole's bed, his eyes closed in concentration. "Something's wrong." His eyes opened. Kate thought they looked a bit unfocused. "I can find him, feel his wolf and make brief contact with it, but I cannot reestablish our bond."