Running with Wolves Ch. 11

Story Info
Fighting for what is yours.
9.5k words
4.82
18.9k
40

Part 12 of the 24 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/20/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you all for being so great and wonderful. Please continue voting and commenting, and as always a big thank you to my two editors MarieFlower and markrane. I added new text after their edit so any mistakes are on me. Enjoy chapter 11!

~~~~~

Dominic closed his eyes and then opened them. Open, closed, open, closed. Damn, he was beginning to get lightheaded.

The smells were gone, thank God for that, but now it was his eyesight. He was back to seeing everything with a clarity and definition that made it difficult to not cross his eyes.

Closing his eyes again to block out the information streaming in, Dominic listened to the others out in the sitting room. Ben was talking to Samantha, explaining how to tell when a baby bird was full. There was someone else out there with them; Dominic thought he heard her name was Augustine. Along with the new sight, his hearing had been bumped up too.

"Have you been listening to a word I've said?"

Dominic flopped his head to the side. "You have really pretty ceilings here. Tin's expensive."

"What?" Misty looked up to the ceiling, taking in the tarnished metal ceiling. "Yeah, I guess, but that's not what we are talking about right now. We need to discuss this Allocation Ceremonial the twins have incited." She was becoming more and more frustrated with every passing second. Dominic wasn't giving her the attention and answers she was demanding, and he knew it. Annoying Misty was quickly becoming one of his favorite pastimes.

"Look, I'm not even sure what they were talking about. By the time they started talking I couldn't really focus on anything. My senses were doing the high definition thing and that made it hard to concentrate. Something about Samantha and splitting us apart. What ever they have planned for tomorrow, I'm not going to back down."

Misty looked shocked. "You're going to FIGHT them on this?! Are you insane?!"

"I have been called that once or twice." The way Misty's race flushed when she was frustrated was suddenly very appealing to Dominic. The way her eyes narrowed just a bit as she glared at him, the way she bit the inside of her bottom lip as if keeping in all the curses and lectures she wanted to shout at him.

Without even thinking, Dominic was sitting up on the bed and reaching out to Misty. It happened so fast that he was already stroking her cheek with the back of his hand before his mind processed the action. "You know, you're kinda cute when you're mad."

Misty's eyes looked like pool balls stuck in her head. For a brief moment she seemed frozen under his blue gaze. Dominic could hear her heart racing, feel the heat from her face through his hand, see the way her pupils dilated to take up most of her iris while the gold ring surrounding it began to glow. For some reason her reaction excited him. Something in him was thrilled that she was so stunned: that he had control over the situation. Over her. Dominic realized he was leaning in towards Misty. That she wasn't pulling back but tilting her head slightly as if in invitation.

And all at once the feeling subsided. His body froze, as did hers. The inhuman glow from her eyes dimmed. Together they shifted away from one another. Both had wide eyes now.

"What was that?" Dominic's voice was quiet, a shocked whisper. "What was that, Misty?"

Misty seemed dazed. The air smelled thicker, sweeter around her. "Your wolf; it's beginning to manifest itself, making you act on instinct. What you must have been feeling was the mating pull." Her voice was just as quiet as his.

They continued to stare at one another. The pressure began to build until one of them finally broke.

"I need to go." Misty shot up from her chair. Their previous conversation was no longer on either of their minds.

Before Dominic could say anything she was gone and out the door, most likely heading to her own room. That left him alone with his now chaotic thoughts.

He had almost kissed her; intentionally, of his own desire. Dominic shook his head. No, it wasn't him, it was this damn wolf inside of him, growing like a cancer and changing him into something other. Panic began to grip him, a need to run suddenly filling him. It was consuming him, panicking him.

"Dom?" Garrett was standing in the doorway, Penny gurgling in his arms. She was trying to figure out whether or not her fist could fit in her mouth.

Seeing them calmed Dominic considerably. He was able to take a deep breath and center himself again. "What's up? Did you need me for something?"

Garrett shrugged. "I just noticed Misty come running out of here like the dog catcher was on her heels and I wanted to make sure you were okay. Are you?"

Dominic didn't quite know the answer to that question. Everything was crashing down around them and it was beginning to crack Dominic's calm exterior. It was getting to him.

He dropped his head down and shook it slightly. No he was not okay.

Garrett closed the door and walked over to the bed, sliding in next to his friend and propping himself against the headboard. "Let me in Dom. You can't keep this up if you pretend it's not affecting you. Share."

Dominic was shaking. Garrett was right, but how was he supposed to allow himself to be weak when the others were looking to him for strength? He was their wall. The one that surrounded them and took the hits so they could be safe. If he started to fall apart, where would that leave them? But if he didn't take care of himself, he would fall apart no matter what. He needed to talk to someone.

"I don't know what to do, Garrett. They're all looking at me to know what to do, and I don't have any answers for them."

Garrett sighed. "Two weeks ago, we all found out the world as we know it isn't what it seems. Werewolves are real and who knows what else is out there that may or may not also exist. We were taken from our home and put up in a wolf den. They are expecting you to marry, or mate or whatever, with them, and they also plan to turn us all into them. Not to mention the whole thing with Flint yesterday ended with you getting an early pass to join the freak show.

"You are allowed to not have all the answers. Hell, the werewolves don't even have them and they're running this damn circus. So stop trying to save the world and just focus on your own problems for a second."

"I just hate that I got you guys mixed up in all of this. If I hadn't gone back-"

"We would have come looking for you and they would have found us anyway. Stop beating yourself up over that, we would have had you do it no other way."

Dominic looked up at Garrett with tired eyes. "Just because I'm becoming one of them doesn't mean you should all give up,"

Garrett shrugged at that. "It's not your fault, and we all agreed that we need to stick together and see how this plays out. See if we can make this work. That isn't something you are making us do, we made the choice on our own. We aren't leaving you out in the cold just because you are turning into a big fur-ball."

Dominic laughed at that. It was small, but real and lifted his spirits along with Garrett's words. They sat in silence for a while after that, watching Penny as she attempted to eat her own feet.

"I'm becoming something other, Garrett." Dominic never looked away from Penny. "Something is changing inside of me. I can feel it. I almost kissed Misty tonight because of it."

"Is that why she left?" Dominic nodded. Garrett let out a breath. "I think she is just as conflicted as the rest of us. She had plans, aspirations, and now that's going to have to change. She's adjusting just like we are."

"Yeah, well," Dominic rose into a sitting position so he could pick up the baby. "she doesn't have to change species and have her world completely dictated by make-believe creatures."

Garrett chuckled. "That's the truth." His eyes suddenly became distant.

"What is it?"

He shrugged one shoulder and let out a long breath. "Nothing, I just..."

"Oh come on." Dominic turned to look directly at his friend. "You were my shrink for a while now let me be yours. What's going on?"

Garrett continued to be silent and then quietly began to whisper. "Just this feeling I've had since Flint... since he merged with his instincts and became sane again."

"Yeah? What about it?"

Another shrug. "It's just, ever since then I've been able to, I don't know, feel him. It's faint but I can feel it my chest, like a tug in his direction. I know, from what you've told me, that that's what you feel sometimes with Misty."

Dominic was shocked. Garrett and Flint? Really? "Are you sure?"

"I don't know. That's why I haven't said anything till now. I mean, he's just a kid and I'm 25..."

"He's 21."

Garrett eyes snapped wide. "What?"

Dominic shrugged. "Surprised me too. But yeah, he and I are the same age. He told me back when I brought him to the warehouse." He rested back against the headboard again, deep in thought. "It makes some sense. He had eyes for you that night, and the guy can't keep from blushing if you so much as look at him."

Garrett himself blushed at that. "I don't know. Maybe..." They both went quiet.

*

"I can't believe you talked me into doing this." Cole grumbled as he helped Flint roll down the hallway towards their wing of the Den.

"If I stay in that damn place and have to listen to those beeping machines, Cricket's complaining and Sage's constant talking, I'm going to end up shoving those machines up both their asses to shut them all up." Flint couldn't stay in the infirmary any longer, so he convinced his now mostly healed brother to get him back to his own room and his own bed before he ended up shifting for the first time and actually killing someone. It had taken almost two days but Cole had finally agreed.

Now he wouldn't stop droning on and on about how it was such a bad idea and they should go back before Doc Rivers or Mother found out. It was getting on Flint's nerves and he could feel his wolf responding. He flinched reflexively as the beast within him extended ever so slightly to the surface. It was impulse from the years of pain and another factor for him wanting to be out of that place. Flint just wanted to go nest in his room, begin to explore his wolf and get a feeling for it. There were six years of traumatic experiences he needed to overcome if he was going to have a healthy relationship with his wolf.

"Cole, it's not happening. I'm not going back, and you can't make me. So either shut up and keep pushing, or I'll get up and walk the rest of the way and you can go back to your precious hospital bed and continue listening to Cricket complain about how much his arm hurts."

Cole's steps paused, then quickly resumed. "If Mom asks, I'm putting all the blame on you."

Flint smiled up at his brother in both gratitude and smugness.

When they finally got to their home within their home, Flint abruptly had a change of heart. "Actually, Cole. Can you take me to see Dominic?" Cole became noticeably tense, and Flint could scent his brother's dislike of the idea. "He's my Alpha now, Cole, and my friend before that. I want to see him."

"He doesn't even understand what that even means. From what you've said he hasn't even contacted you, or done anything else that he should have since bonding to you." Even as he complained, Cole began pushing the wheelchair in the direction of Dominic's room.

"He's still human, Cole. He has no idea how to be a wolf, let alone an Alpha. Cut him some slack." They reached the room quickly and Flint leaned forward to knock on the door. There was the sound of feet on carpet before the door was cracked open. "Hey Samantha."

"Flint?" Samantha's green eyes went wide as she took him in. He had changed a lot since they had last seen each other, the change causing his body to go through a sudden growth spurt. He probably looked a few years older than before: closer to his real age. He knew he was a few inches taller than before. "Oh, it's so good to see you. How are you? Why are you out of bed?" She came in for a hug, one that Flint reciprocated gladly.

"I couldn't stay in that place any longer. I was going crazy. How are you? Hey, I'm okay Cole. I can push myself from here."

Samantha stood back up and moved to the side so Flint could wheel himself inside. Cole looked like he wanted to protest, but by every Were law, Flint had every right to be left alone with these humans. Technically they were his pack now, so his brother backed off and left them alone.

Samantha took over the pushing of the chair. "I've been good. So has most everyone else. Dominic's going to be happy to see you, Garrett too. He was planning on coming to see you tomorrow."

Flint felt his wolf rise up again, this time in happiness. His mate was seeking them out. He tried to calm the instincts within him so as not to give anything away, but still his cheeks flushed red from the sudden emotion. "Really?" She just smirked and nodded her head.

Flint realized she must have noticed something in his response and rushed to try and dispel any suspicion, but he was too slow as the others had all begun to notice his arrival as well.

"Flint! Buddy, what are you doing out of bed? You were pretty banged up last time I saw you." Jarod came over to give Flint a pat on the shoulder. He had been in the middle of organizing what looked to be puzzle pieces on the coffee table in the center of the room. Flint was able to pick up the scent of the cardboard and ink on his fingers. Ben was down there as well. He gave Flint a small smile and a nod of greeting. Even though it was a small greeting, Flint knew that from Ben it was the same as if someone else had shouted in excitement and rushed to give a bone-crushing hug. He was a man of simple gestures.

"Flint." Garrett came out of the other room, Penny on his hip. "I didn't think you would be up that fast. Are you feeling alright?"

Again, Flint felt his wolf swell and rise. Garrett's scent of crisp morning air and newly chopped wood was a welcome reprieve from the scent of chemicals and medications. It was lovely, and so comforting. Flint wanted to never be away from it. But he couldn't give anything else away just yet. He still needed time to figure things out for himself, so he schooled his features and smiled as neutrally as he could to his mate. "I'm fine, thanks. I was going stir crazy and figured I might as well pop in to visit before I go to my own room for a while. A lot has changed; I need time to adjust."

Garrett seemed to receive more of Flint's message than he thought he would, his grey eyes locking onto Flint's gold and holding. It was a heavy stare, full of an emotion that practically pulled Flint's instincts to the surface and held them there. No doubt his eyes were beginning to shift already. Had they been alone, there was no doubt he would have acted on those feelings, but lucky for Flint there were enough other scents to dampen his mate's and give him the edge to push his wolf down. It was almost painful to do so, but necessary.

Dominic was the one to break the trance between the two men. He came out into the sitting room, a smile coming to his face as his eyes found Flint. "Look what the cat dragged in."

Flint broke into a fit of painful giggles. "Shut up!" The laughing choked off suddenly. He looked at Dominic with wide eyes, then quickly turned his eyes down to the floor. "I'm sorry, Alpha."

Dominic seemed perplexed by the change in behavior, as did the others. "What's wrong? Why are you apologizing?"

"You're my Alpha now. That's no way to speak to my Alpha."

"Flint, it's fine." Dominic walked right up to him and waited until Flint looked up from the carpet. "Just because we have some freaky bond doesn't mean you need to be weird." He moved behind the chair and moved it closer to the circle of furniture, where everyone else was settling in. "Nothing's changed between us. We're still friends, so look me in the eye and stop with the Alpha talk."

And just like that, Flint was assimilated into his new pack. They all settled down into different areas of the sitting room, doing different things to entertain themselves. Jarod and Ben argued over the puzzle for a while, before Ben finally had enough and turned the TV on to some sports game. Samantha was reclined back with a stack of books to share between them, and Garrett seemed content to keep Penny company for the afternoon. Before Flint even realized it, hours had passed and it was beginning to get dark outside.

It was around eight in the evening when the atmosphere changed.

Flint was having an interesting discussion with Ben about the rules of football when there was a knock on the door. Jarod went to answer, Flint already knew it was his mother and father because he could scent them trough the door. He could also pick up his oldest sister, along with Hale and April. Whatever they were there for, it wasn't a simple chat. Something big was happening.

Jarod opened the door and allowed the group in. Sol made eye contact with Flint, and he could tell she wasn't pleased to see him there. The closer he became to Dominic, the stronger and harder the bond would be to break. Flint knew this, but that wasn't going to stop him from being with those that made him feel accepted.

Once inside, Sol broke eye contact with her son and turned to face Dominic. He looked calm, but with the bond between them and his lack of training, Flint could feel his nervousness and apprehension. He knew something was up as well.

"What's going on?" Garrett asked, sounding concerned. All the humans looked concerned.

Sol didn't acknowledge him, instead focusing on Dominic. "We need you and the rest of your group to come with us. It's time for the Allocation Ceremonial."

Dominic's eyes began to dart around. The feeling of unease was becoming stronger and Flint's own worry was making it worse. He did his best to calm himself and send that feeling of calm to his Alpha. It seemed to work as Dominic's fear began to settle.

Hale and April began gathering everyone and ushering them out the door. Garrett ended up pushing Flint along in his wheelchair. His wolf was happy to have their mate so close, but the rest of him was concerned. He hadn't known the twins had incited this ritual, and wondered how much Dominic actually understood. "Dominic? When did this happen?"

Dominic shook his head. "The two men, Storm and Thunder, they brought it up day before last. I don't know what it is but I didn't think it was serious. Was I wrong?"

Flint shook his head. "No, I mean it can be. It all depends on how attached you are to Samantha."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Ben turned around, almost causing Dominic to run into him. Hale continued to usher them through the Wing until they reached the set of doors that led to the outside and directly onto a path. The trail would lead them out to a field where wolf-on-wolf battles were held.

Flint became really worried then, and asked his brother why they were going there and not the gym in the basement.

"Misty says Dominic is going to fight for her, so it's being held out here." Hale held the door open so Flint could be wheeled outside.

"But he hasn't even shifted yet! This isn't a fair fight and you know it."

"It's not my call."

"Has anyone actually explained to them what is going on?" Their conversation didn't go unnoticed by the rest.

"Flint? What's happening? Where are they taking us?" Flint bit his lip and shook his head. He didn't want to frighten Samantha with his answer. He simply grabbed her hand and smiled as reassuringly as he could.

After walking for nearly ten minutes they had made it down the path and broke through the line of trees. He could hear the hearts of every human speed up as the site of one of the pack's battle fields came into sight.