Running with Wolves Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another shift and Dominic was crawling forward, sniffing at every part of her as he leveled himself with her body. She sighed and stayed still, allowing him to explore her exposed form.

His hands were searching her stomach as his nose drew in the scent of her neck. He followed and curve of her hip, finding the soft fur he knew would be left between her legs. He used his fingers to push through the light blond curls that hid his goal. When he found it, the warm fluid that coated his fingertips pulled a growl from his chest. She was receptive, even though she had been fighting him, now that he had shifted. He knew, in his gut, that the reason why she had done this was so they could not fully mate, but he did not care. He was too caught up in the image of her throwing her head back, exposing her throat as his fingers plunged in and out of her sex.

Consumed by the inescapable urge, he lowered his own head so that he could better scent the female before him. As his nose grazed the taught skin of her throat, he could smell the rise of adrenalin and endorphins as her body convulsed around his fingers and against the ground. Her cries of pleasure endured for as long as her orgasm did, until it finally faded and she was left gasping beneath him. Seeing her vulnerability, Dominic used his cum covered hand to line his cock up to her exposed pussy and thrust forward, wrenching a passionate scream from Misty.

Dominic's eyes flew open, his mind continuing to experience the intense sensation of taking Misty against the forest floor. He blinked once, twice, waiting for the physical sensation of Misty pressed against his body. Slowly, his body came back online, but the feeling of a figure pressed against him.

The feeling only grew stronger, until he began to move and realize he had his arms wrapped around an actual person. He pulled back slightly, looking down to see a pair of golden eyes staring back up at him.

Misty was quiet as he processed her being in the same bed as him for the second time in a row. His body didn't know how to feel about it, but after further analysis it was clear his body did. He was never embarrassed when it came to sex or the naked body, but having his erection pressed up against her stomach made him flush anyway.

Misty slightly smiled up at him, seeming to know what he was blushing about. "Don't worry, we did not mate."

"Not now." Dominic slowly extricated himself from Misty so he could sit up. She stayed lying next to him, rolling to her stomach as he shifted to lean against her pink headboard. "But we did."

Misty propped herself up on her elbows, the sheet falling back to gather around her waist. "Your wolf showed you what happened?" He nodded. "This will happen every time your wolf takes over. You are the wolf, therefore his memories are yours, but a way that to think of it is that while one consciousness is in complete control the other is dreaming, seeing what is going on but not grasping or retaining what is happening. The memories will come back slowly as your wolf relives them, sharing the memories while you are conscious. When you... lost consciousness that must have been what your wolf was focused on."

Dominic nodded, comprehending the basics but not getting it completely. His wolf fluctuated in the back of his mind. The feeling traveled from his mind to his shoulder, then moved threw his arms like pinpricks until they reached his wrists. It was intensely uncomfortable, and he rubbed at the affected areas until it subsided. "What the hell?"

Misty lifted herself un onto her knees, grabbing the wrist he was rubbing so she could take a look. "You scared the hell out of me when you passed out. Having a mate like you is going to keep me on my toes."

Dominic gave her a look and tugged his hand back, investigating the bright pink scars. "I don't do well when I see blood leaving my body in high volumes." He shuddered, feeling the tingling sensation again. "What the hell is that?"

"Your body isn't human anymore. One of the perks is hyper regeneration." Misty grabbed the grey sheet and wrapped it around herself as she slid off the bed. Dominic could feel his wolf rise, but was able to keep in control as she disappeared into her closet with her clothing. "Your wolf has the capability to heal you by bringing your body's natural abilities to the forefront the hyper-activating them. It is both a blessing and a curse. We heal from great wounds, but that just means our forces stay large and strong. Single battles could last for months at a time, and our pack wars were rarely resolved unless a greater threat presented itself to both packs." She came back out, heading over to her vanity to check her clothes and grab a hair tie. "Alright, let's go."

"Go where?" Dominic put his feet on the fluffy white carpet. He noticed he was still in his sleep pants from the night before, which reminded him of the events leading up to his escapade with Misty before he lost consciousness. "What happened? What was all that howling?"

Misty finished her ponytail and turned back around. "Something is wrong with Augustine. Hale gave orders for us to stay out of Fiver Rivers Pack business, but we are going to go see what's happening." The determination in her voice made Dominic smirk.

"Are we now?"

"Damn straight we are." Her eyes flashed briefly, her wolf showing itself as she growled to herself. "Telling me that I have to stay confined to my room while they take care of pack business: Who the hell does he think he is, acting like mother has named him as future Alpha of the pack already? They are still my blood."

She continued on her tangent as she stalked over to her door. Dominic thought it was amusing until he finally started listening to what she was saying. "You were told to stay in your room? Why?"

Misty sighed in agitation. "I am not sure what exactly happened, but someone lost control of their wolf while still in the Den. If I were still linked to the pack, then I would know what happened, but I'm not." Her agitation spiked again. It made Dominic's nose itch. "I went to go investigate but Hale ordered me to come back to my room. Can you believe him? That asshole thinks he has the right to give me orders, just because I'm temporarily out of the pack."

In her rant, Dominic was shocked to witness her actually losing control and shifting a bit. The invisible downy hair that covered most of her body grew thicker on her arms and legs, her raised lip revealing one canine was elongating to poke at her bottom lip. The prick warned her of her impending loss of control and she closed her eyes, drawing in a calming breath until the hair receded back. "If that asshole thinks he can use this as an excuse to push me around then he has another thing coming." And with that she stormed out of her room.

Worried about her state of mind, Dominic hopped up and darted out of the room. She was obviously angry, and he had seen enough to know that could make Weres unstable. He may not be in love with her, but he cared enough to worry about her being hurt.

He didn't get far out into the hall when he bumped back into Misty. She was facing off with two large guards, both female and both Amazonian both in appearance and in attitude. "We are under orders. No one is allowed to leave their rooms until Augustine is under control."

"Augustine is my cousin, my blood, and my best friend. back off Vista." Misty was changing again, just like how she had done in her room. Dominic felt a bit of fear, but that was overshadowed by an intense feeling of pride and outrage. Pride for Misty, and outrage for the two bitches that were blocking her path. His wolf wanted to take over and show they just who they were talking to, but once again Dominic forced himself to be in control. He could see this was not a fight he would win, and that it would make an already tense situation worse. His logic won out, and the beast backed off, but he was still tense to spring into action if it came to blows.

None of the women had noticed his internal battle. They were too preoccupied with their own fight, until a tall form rounded the corner and barked "Enough!" at them. At first glance Dominic mistook him for Orion, but as he came into the light of a skylight he recognized it was Hale coming towards them. He did not look pleased, his disproving look focused on his younger sister. Had it been targeted at Dominic, he wasn't sure if he would've been able to stop his wolf from taking over and darting in the opposite direction.

"Misty, I gave an order for you and your pack to stay out of the halls until the situation was resolved." Hale crossed his thick arms over his barrel chest, his voice indistinguishable from his fathers.

"Fuck you, Hale. What happened to Augustine? What is wrong with her?" Misty was every bit her mother as she stood toe to toe with her brother. The other two women looked distinctly uncomfortable as they were caught in the middle on either side of the hallway.

"This is pack business. You will stay away from her until such time that it is appropriate for communications to resume between Augustine and your pack."

"You can't do that." Misty hissed.

"Yes I can. Mother has delegated this situation for me to resolve. My problem, my rules. Stay away from Augustine until she has dominated her wolf and is no longer a threat to this Den or herself." Hale turned, heading back to wherever it was he was going in the first place.

"Hale." Misty turned, surprise coloring her eyes as Dominic spoke up. The big Were did too, looking back with as much curiosity as suspicion. "What is wrong with Augustine?"

Hale raised a brow. "I told you, this is pack business."

Dominic's wolf cowered back, feeling the impact of Hale's words, but Dominic stood his ground. He copied, Hale's stance; arms crossed, shoulders back, forward facing. Surrender would not get him what he wanted, but neither would defiance. "Augustine is your pack, I'm not disputing that; but Ben is mine, and they are a package deal. I won't interfere with the way you handle the situation with Augustine. Even if I tried, I know I would have no idea how to even start. But I have to protect my own. All I want is an open dialogue, for when Ben wants to reach out."

Hale sighed, popping his neck to relieve some of his stress. "Augustine and her Destined had an argument and she lost control. She shifted in the Alpha Wing and ran into the center of the Den. She has completely disassociated between her two forms. One is constantly battling for dominance over the other. Until she finds balance again, they have her confined to the gym."

Dominic nodded. "Thank you, Hale."

"You're welcome." Hale gave his sister one last withering look. "Stay in your designated rooms." He ignored his sister's responding growl.

*

"That bastard!"

"Those are our parents you are insulting."

"That asshole!"

"Much better."

Dominic snorted as Misty continued to pace while he, Garrett, Samantha, Thunder, and Flint all sat around in the apartment she and the twins lived in.

Things had been tense ever since the altercation with Hale. After being escorted back to Misty's room, it wasn't long before Thunder came and brought them to Samantha. She had been very upset when she heard it was Augustine who was in distress, and her own worry was enough to spring him into action. Because they were still Five Rivers, and the highest ranking Betas in the Den, they could go around and gather everyone and bring them together. Storm was still out with Ben, working with Clay and Kate to help Augustine.

"Where is he? They should've been back by now." Samantha was sitting snuggled between Thunder and Dominic, insistent that he be next to her after him being gone for so long. It was awkward at first, what with the dirty looks he got from Thunder, but Dominic ignored him and pretty soon it was clear he had nothing to worry about. She only held Dominic's hand, while the rest of her body was firmly glommed onto Thunder's side.

Thunder tilted his head to the side, his pupils dilating slightly as he and his brother shared their thoughts. "Ben is being difficult. He keeps trying to leave to go back to Augustine, but he cannot until Hale gives his consent." He looked down at Samantha, her eyes wide with worry. He kissed her forehead. "Do not worry. We will have him here soon."

"I still don't see how he can make that decision." Garrett said. He wasn't being confrontational, just curious. His slight glance to Flint, who was sitting next to him on the couch, indicated he was asking for fear of someone deciding he and Flint could not be together. Apparently, that was a very real threat for them.

Thunder seemed to notice the glance, but after a second of contemplation and a warning look from Dominic, chose to ignore it. "Once my brother and your pack mate are here we will explain in more detail."

They all silently agreed and went back to watching Misty storm around the room, grumbling about her brother. Dominic tuned her out, instead turning his attention to Samantha and Penny, who was sleeping with her head tucked under her mom's chin. It was an innocent scene, until he noticed the red splotch peeking out of the collar of Samantha's shirt.

At first he assumed it was a hickey, and meant to poke at it to tease her, but when she hissed and pulled back his curiosity was piqued. No one else noticed, they were too focused on Storm arriving with Ben, but they had enough time for Samantha to give him an almost panicked look. When he saw it he just smiled and wrapped his arm around her neck, pulling her close so he could whisper, "Congrats, sweetie." He had to hold back his fear from his voice, because he did not want her to know just how terrified he was for her, but that would be something he discussed with the twins at a later time. For now, he settled with a warning look directed at Thunder. If they hurt her, there would be more than hell to pay, and he wanted it to be very clear to them. Thunder responded to his expression by pulling his shoulders back slightly and nodded sharply. He understood.

As soon as Ben stepped through the threshold, everyone could feel the cloud of his anxiety settle like a film over the room. He looked shaken, worried, and just frazzled. Dominic could see the glass bottle he normally shoved his feelings into was cracking, and the coming explosion was not something he wanted any of them to have to go through again. "Ben." Dominic got up and walked over to his friend. Without another word he wrapped his arms around his friend and held on tight. Ben fought him, at first, but he couldn't deny the support. After two pitiful displays of masculinity, Ben reciprocated and wrapped his arms around as well. His shoulders shook, but he did not make any noise as he cried out his frustration into Dominic's shoulder. "We will fix this. Just tell me what happened."

Ben continued to hug him as he explained the argument with Augustine and the ensuing chaos. When she lost control, shifting and howling, Ben had run into the hall to investigate. Augustine had been a bloody mess, angry and snarling with two smaller wolves cowering in a corner. Ben had shouted to her, making her spin around in defense. Her eyes had been black holes, only a sliver of gold ringing her pupils. She had recognized him, at least Ben thought she had, as he tried to talk to her, but just as he was making his way forward, two more much larger wolves came snarling around the corner. Augustine had given no second thought for Ben, tearing past him and moving farther into the Den. The two large wolves had been right on her tail.

When Ben tried to pursue them, following the sounds of fighting dogs, blood, and panicked Omegas, he was stopped by more Betas and brought to Sol. She had demanded an explanation from him, and once she understood what was happening had given the task of handling the situation over to Hale.

"I hate that prick." Ben loathed. He pulled away, wiping his face as he plopped down against one of the walls. There was some room on the couch, but nothing far enough away from strangers to feel comfortable. "First he starts ordering me around like I'm one of his dogs. Then when I start doing what he wants and start trying to talk to Augustine, he demands I be taken back to my "Designated Room." Who the fuck does he think he is?"

"The next Alpha of Five Rivers, that's who." Storm had taken Dominic's spot next to Samantha on the couch. If he saw the scalding look he received from Misty, he ignored it. "Hale is not much older than us, but he is the first born to the Alphas and has shown promise in becoming the next Alpha. When a successor is chosen, this will give him a head start both in his training and gaining the packs confidence."

Misty rested her hands on the back of the couch, leaning over slightly so she could make eye contact with Storm. "That's a big if, Storm. It almost sounds like you believe there is no one else in the running for being chosen as successor."

Storm's eyes flashed wide with gold as stared her down. "And as far as Five Rivers is concerned, there is not. Need I remind you of your current circumstances, Misty, or shall I rescind my mate's invitation and escort you back to your... designated rooms."

There was an ensuing standoff. Neither was willing to give in; Storm had the upper hand with being right, but Misty was stubborn, and full of pride. It didn't end until Misty was forced to accept she did not have a leg to stand on. She pushed off the couch and left the apartment, slamming the door as she went.

Samantha looked up at Storm, her face unhappy. "That was mean. You didn't need to treat her like that."

Thunder gave her a paternal smile. "There is so much you do not know yet, sweet Sammy. Misty is not a part of Five Rivers any longer, and therefor has no rights when it comes to certain things. This is our home. We cannot allow her to establish dominance here. She is also still having a difficult time adjusting to no longer being capable of one day succeeding the Alphas. To be honest, though, she is taking the entire situation better than we thought she would."

"Still doesn't excuse your behavior." Samantha grumbled. The twins only sighed and kissed her on either temple at the same time.

*

Misty returned maybe an hour later, making a point of not looking at either twin. She curled up against Dominic on the couch, touching him but not cuddling. It wasn't uncomfortable, so he settled next to her and continued to listen to Garrett and Storm talk.

"So, whatever Hale says goes? No one can say anything about it?"

Storm shook his head. "Not exactly. The pack hierarchy is not an absolute, but we are dependent on it to give us peace and order. We trust in our Alphas to lead us, but without that trust they have no dominance, at least not in more than a small pack. That is how we used to be as a race; the strong ruled and fell then ruled again, and the weak were used as pawns and whores. It was a difficult existence, but soon the Omegas found their power. If enough of them banded together they could break the Alpha influence and leave. It forced Alphas and Betas to reevaluate how they treated those weaker than them." Storm pulled a six pack of Lagunitas from the fridge. He handed one to his brother, Ben, Flint, but Garrett refused, as did Dominic. When he did, Storm paused briefly, before offering it to Misty. She glanced questioningly up at him, but when he continued to offer her the beverage she took the cold bottle with a silent nod of gratitude.

"Madam Alpha Sol is our leader, but she has delegated this situation with Augustine to Hale, and therefore we are obligated to follow his lead."

"Even if he's being a complete prick?" Ben sneered, downing almost half his beer.