Sam Spade 01: Case of the Missing Brother

Story Info
Angela hires Sam Spade to find her brother.
12.3k words
4.57
12.9k
18
5

Part 2 of the 28 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/06/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is copyrighted 2006 by Kaereni, may not be excerpted, reprinted, reproduced, or reposted in any form without the express written consent of the author. Visitors to this web site may read or temporarily download pages but are not permitted to modify or re-distribute them.

The story contains sexual activities and situations that are to be read only by readers above the legal age of consent. All characters are above the legal age of consent. The story is not to be read in locations where such stories are illegal. If you are not of legal age, or live in the wrong place, please exit this site immediately.

*

I am sitting in my office killing time by throwing darts at dart board. That the board has the mayor's face on it didn't hurt my game any. My feet up on the desk relaxing by throwing darts at the most hated man in the city, life was good. Then she walks in just as I threw, the dart missing her by a fraction on an inch. She doesn't flinch, just gives a shake of her long blond hair and says, "You're Sam Spade?"

Dropping my feet to the floor I looked at her from under my gray fedora. She was dressed in 1930's style, brown tweed skirt and matching blazer. Small hat with a feather sticking out at a jaunty angle, and last but not least, lips that looked as if she had kissed a freshly painted fire truck. I made a mental note to wander down to the fire station and see if they had painted their trucks lately. I decide to play it cool as I nod at her and gesture to the chair before my desk.

As she moves forward as if she were ice-skating, gliding over the floor I realize that my receptionist had not announced her. I made another mental note to have some harsh words with her after this woman had left. When she sat in the chair it gave the slightest of squeaks and my ears perked up but I manage to keep the surprise from showing on my face. As she lifts a tissue to her eyes to dab at them I think to myself, "The only one that had ever made that chair squeak before was Fat Johnny and he was well over 400 pounds of lard."

She offers a snapshot to me and when I do not reach out to take it she laid it on the desk. She is wearing those black lace gloves and underneath I can see her nails were painted the same bright red as her lips. "I'm Angela Williams. My brother... Alvin..." She sniffs a few times making a big production of it, "He's missing... find him." she demands and again she stops herself and makes with the sob routine.

I glance down at the picture and then up at her. If this mug is her brother then they had different fathers to say the least, I think to myself. I lean back and look at her fully, "When did you see him last?" The more I look at her the more I become aware that this dame is out of place. A high class broad like her coming in here to find a missing brother is about as likely as me winning the lottery, and seeing I don't play the lottery then the odds of that happening are damn slim. But still there is something about her, something that makes me want to help her.

Sniffling through a hankie she replies, "Two days ago. He said he was going to meet a Mister Desalvo. He never came home." It was as if someone turned on the faucet with those last four words.

Frankie Desalvo is a small time hood who runs a club out on the West End called the "Pink Pussycat." Some people say that it is a loose cover for a prostitution ring. He had several bigwigs in his pocket and was bullet proof. No wonder the cops never followed up on finding Alvin.

I let her get herself under control before continuing, "Did Alvin say what his meeting referred to?" There was something nagging at my mind as I watch her and listen to her sob but no matter how hard I tried to pin it down I could not think what it is.

"Please forgive me Sam." the broad says, getting herself under control. She fiddles with her purse for a moment before pulling out a small perfume bottle, spraying it on her neck and against both inner wrists. "Don't think badly of me for carrying on like that." She leans forward in the chair and the squeak is louder this time.

"No, not at all, Miss Angela." I say to her and become aware of her musky perfume. Leaning forward in my chair, I inhale deeply several times before I realize what I am doing. "Capture scent" my mind screams at me. A light bulb goes off in my mind putting everything I am seeing together. If I am wrong about what I realize I am sunk. I pull out the side panel on my desk with one hand and glance down at it while breathing as lightly as possible. I knew something she didn't, but once she figured out that the capture scent was not affecting me as planned she would become truly dangerous.

Looking back up at her I smile and pull off my fedora, my long auburn tresses fall to my shoulders, "Wrong sex sister, Sam is short for Samantha not Samuel." Quickly looking back at the paper I read out loud, "Command override priority Alpha Beta Gamma X-ray Kilo Niner."

She froze in place with one hand reached out towards me.

Standing, I walked over to the windows and started opening them. The sooner the air cleared the better I would be. Even with her using the wrong capture scent I felt a burning fire of lust towards her trying to fill my mind. If she had not made the mistake of assuming my sex, I would have done anything to be allowed to cum over the next day with no memory of the time lost other than a desire to see her again. Nodding I now understand how she got past Rachel, my receptionist. Opening the door, I look out towards her desk and see her passed out one hand buried between her legs. "As if she needed encouragement," I say turning back to the android sitting in my office. "Stand!"

Walking around, I give her flesh a push and then feel the skin. "Wow!" I had never heard of one as advanced as she is. Her skin feels pliable and warm to the touch. I reach and give the skin at the base of her neck a pinch hard to make darn sure it is an android. "Yep... no reaction."

Sitting down at my desk I consider my words before speaking. Whoever had sent her had serious muscle and I had to be careful that I did not end up worse than masturbating myself to unconsciousness. "You will answer all questions fully with the best of your ability." I think for a moment and test to make sure. You never know with some of these AP's they can be as slippery as a corrupt politician. "Does unit understand and comply fully?" I ask finally, not able to come up with a better idea.

"Unit understands and will comply," a flat mechanical voice comes from the woman.

"Paraphrase your programming."

"Answer all questions fully and truthfully," the voice says. "Access Slade by any mean possible and make him...," the woman's face turns and eyes lock on mine, "Her... find Alvin Williams." The flat voice changes and becomes the woman's once more, "No matter what it takes to get her to agree."

"Who sent you to see me?"

"Null program."

"How did you get here?"

"Null program."

I frowned and asked, "Who is Alvin Williams?"

"My brother," the answer comes back.

"Her brother?" I ask myself and lean back once more to think. How could a real person have an AP for a sister, unless they are both AP's. "Is Alvin Williams an AP or android?"

"No" the woman says in a flat voice.

I sit back not quite sure what to think. I seem to remember reading that they were trying to make AP's think they were the same as everyone else human. Frowning, I figure I am getting nowhere. I am going to have to find this mug, if nothing else to find out what is going on. "Where was Alvin seen last?"

"Alvin left in the company of a Rachel 9 unit at 2am Thursday morning," the woman says as she blinked slowly.

"Blinking?" I said surprised.

"Lenses need to be cleaned."

"What is your next step?" I asked, expecting her to say go home or somewhere.

"Trail Slade and neutralize her once Alvin is recovered," the voice says as if ending my life is nothing.

"New program."

The woman's eyes close and her voice becomes female again, "Ready for program input."

"You find yourself attracted to Spade."

"You will do anything for Spade."

"You will lay down your life for Spade."

"You are in love with Spade"

"You will not be able to tell any others of these commands."

"Program end"

"Program received... Processing... Complete." The woman's eyes open and she looks at me sitting at my desk.

I will take your case and find Alvin for you Angela," I say and think to myself that will keep the 'plant Spade into the ground' from happening.

"Oh thank you Sam," she says leaning over the desk coming close to me. "What can I ever do to repay you?" her voice breathless.

"There is one thing." I say, a thought coming to me. "May I have your perfume bottle?"

Without a moment's hesitation she opens her bag and hands over the small perfume bottle and then a second one. Looking at them I see one has the male symbol on it and the other a female symbol. "Thank you so much Angela"

She closes her eyes and lets out a tiny moan before replying, "You are welcome... Samantha." She reaches into her bag and comes out with a card. "You can reach me at this address and number. Day or night, call me?"

I take Angela's card and set it down on the desk, "I will keep you informed. Have a nice day." I say as I usher her out of the office, smiling as she shivers with delight. Sitting down at my desk and looking at the bottles and card I wonder what my next move will be.

Chapter 2, Jimmy the Geek

I learned long ago that it is better to spend time thinking it through than it would be to go off half-cocked. It was this practice that has made me one of the top private investigators in the city. With that in mind I pulled out a pad and a pen;

Item: Alvin Williams missing

Last seen with a "Rachel 9 unit"

Supposed to meet with mob at Pink Pussycat lounge

Item: Angela Williams an AP

Cutting edge technology

Programmed to dispose of me afterwards

Capture scent.

I look at my list and frown. I don't know enough about robotics to know what is going on. "This stinks like last week's lunch," I say throwing down my pen. I need more information; I think to myself and start writing down my questions.

Question: Rachel 9 unit specs.

Question: Angela unit specs

Question: Capture scent access

Question: Alvin William's job

Question: Mob

Question: Who sent Angela

I look at the list and nod. First stop is to find more about this Angela and robotics in general. I need to go see Jimmy the Geek anyways to thank him for the command codes. "Perhaps a quick tumble in the sheets while there too." I say thinking about the fire that is burning in my loins.

Standing, I remove my jacket and slip the 45 Colt into one shoulder holster and a tazer into the other one. I disliked the weights of the two guns but better to be safe than sorry. I put my coat on, pull on a trench coat, tuck my hair up under my fedora and leave the office. I look down at my receptionist on the floor, her hand moving against her soaked panties slowly and shake my head before locking the door behind me.

Leaving the old rundown brownstone, I hang a left away from Jimmy's place. Just down the street is a used furniture store where I could watch for the possibility of a tail. I know how skittish Jimmy is about people and want to make sure I lose any tails. Shaking my head, I see them. "Even third graders could do a better job than these clowns."

Without a thought I turn and walk away then down into the subway. "Let's try a simple one." I mutter as I slowly walk onto the platform. When the train comes I jump on and get a place near a door. Riding I glance around; yep two of them in black suits looking like gorillas are in the car. As it pulls up to the next station I act nonchalantly until the doors start to close and then jump out. In the car I can see the thugs fighting their way to the doors. As the train pulls away I smile and wave at them, "Have a nice trip boys." Turning, I head out and make my way to Jimmy's while keeping an eye out for other tails.

Jimmy the Geek ran a second hand electronics shop and seemed to have a memory like a sponge when it came to electronic gadgets. If you wanted to know about twentieth century computers, Jimmy was the man to see. If you wanted to know about the current research with robotics that the military was doing, again Jimmy was the man.

Entering his shop, I pause to turn the deadbolt and put the sign that he would be back in an hour on his door. "What a dump," I say to myself as I weave my way through the towering piles of electronic equipment that is threatening to tumble over and bury me in a crashing wave. "Hey Jimmy?" I say as I reach a counter and not seeing him. After a moment I hear a distant flush. Smiling, relieved that nothing bad had happened to the Geek I remove my hat and trench coat, draping them over the counter as I pull up a stool.

A man came in from the back, his black pants only a couple inches too short, white tee-shirt that had ironing creases in them, and wearing black plastic frame glasses with tape at the bridge. "Hey Red it's good to see you," Jimmy says as he sees me. Stopping not quite two feet away from me he says, "You're packing Samantha," his voice turns wary and formal. "You know you're not supposed to bring heat here," he says as he backs away and places one hand under the counter.

Holding my hands up I smile and say, "I know Geek," and slowly undress. As I do a slow striptease for Jimmy I make sure my clothing is in one pile and the weapons are in another. When I reach my bra and panties I smile, "Happy now Jimmy?" and wink at him.

He sweeps the two weapons off to one side and moves to sit. "Red, I swear you just pack heat just because you know I will make you strip." He looks me over one more time as if to photograph me, "You can get dressed Red."

I lick a finger and then trace it down between my cleavage. "Oh, do I have to?" I say with a mock pout. Jimmy and I had been playing this game ever since I first walked into his shop five years ago. Even then I knew about his home-made death ray and his fear of weapons. "I love you too Geek," I say as I get dressed, leaving the coat, trench coat and fedora off.

Sitting down again, I find that he has poured a cup of coffee for me and is sitting on his stool flipping through a magazine while waiting. He glances at the two weapons, "What's up Samantha, you never go around carrying both of them?" and before looking at me his face creased in a frown.

"My god, Geek is worried about me," I think to myself. Putting on a smile, I shrug it off saying, "It's nothing to worry about," as I lean forward to pat his hand for reassurance. Just before it lands I stop and pull back. The Geek never let anyone touch him and I had almost forgotten.

Looking down at my hand hovering over his Jimmy says, "Nothing huh?" He looks me in the eye and takes my hand in his; I sit frozen staring at Jimmy's hand. As far as I remember hearing, he had never let another person touch him. And here he was, holding my hand in his, with worry on his face. "Talk to me Red. Something is up, the town is

abuzz, and now you show up carrying your old man's Colt 45."

To break the tension of the moment, I say "Jimmy, I need some information about

Rachel 9 units and what are the new trends. I also need some advice." I squeeze his hand before letting it go.

"Rachel 9?" Jimmy asks and starts punching at a hidden computer keyboard. A small holograph image shows up on the countertop and spins around. "Rachel series: Sexbot, 5'6", 38DD, 22 waist, 36 hips, head hair to below shoulders, programmed to please" Jimmy reads. Looking up at me he says "Sounds like a promotional ad." He starts typing and after a moment nods, "Here we go. This is from one of the trades; The Rachel series has put the traditional streetwalker out of business. Starting with the first introduction of this robot, each revision has become more life-like. The latest version, Rachel 8 is able to function as a solo unit without human programming. It is said that the next version, Rachel 9 will be able to make command level decisions on its own. This writer, for one, is concerned about robots being able to make their own choices. Does this mean that they have free will?"

I look at the Geek, "Free will? Is that possible?"

He looks up at me through the spinning image of the Rachel series. "I don't know Red. There have been efforts in that direction. But actual progress, I don't know."

"That leads me to another area I have been wondering about. Just how real can they look and act?" I ask, leading in to the next question on my list. "I hear on the street that the Angela series really takes the cake when it comes to AP's"

"Angela series?" Jimmy asks. He starts typing, "Angela, Angela," muttering her name to his self as if it were a mantra. After ten minutes Jimmy looks up and says, "I don't know where you heard of an Angela series Sam, but there is no such critter, anywhere."

"Hmmm, I guess my informant was wrong then," I say covering, "So how far can they take it? What about emotions?"

Jimmy sips his coffee, "Well... the simple emotions, happy or sad have been around for a while. All that is, is movement of a few servos to change a frown into a smile." He bites his lip as he thinks, "But the stronger emotions are harder to fake. Laughter, for instance, is a human thing and no-one has been able to come up with a substitute for it."

Sipping mine I look at it with disgust, "My god Geek, you been brewing this all week?" I set the cup down and off to one side and look up at his grin. "Cute joke...," I smile, and slide the cup to him. As Jimmy is getting me a fresh cup of coffee I ask, "What about tears? What of love?"

"Love?" Jimmy says turning around and looking at me surprised. "What have you gotten into Sam?"

"You don't want to know honey," I say, taking the chance of calling him something else.

He accepts my answer, and then goes back into the lip biting thing while he thinks. "Tears... I seem to remember something about that... one minute." He starts typing into his computer and after a moment smiles, "Here it is. In last month's issue of Robotics Institute Studies, a Dr. A. Williams claimed to have made a robot that no one could tell from a human. It came complete with tears and the full range of emotions." He looks up at me, "It was real blue sky type of research. But when asked for proof he was shown to be a fraud." Looking at the article he scans it for more gems of wisdom. "It seems he had found a way to make plastic that felt and acted like skin." Looking at me he says, "But it was all fake in the end... you OK Samantha?"

As he talked I had a sinking feeling I knew who Angela was and what Dr. Williams's first name from the article is. As I sat there listening, I could feel the color drain from my face. I became aware of Jimmy looking at me funny. "Oh sorry yes, just distracted a moment."

Jimmy shakes his head, not believing me.

"Jimmy," I say leaning forward and my voice lower, "If you had to disable a robot... Would the taser do it?"

Jimmy looks at it and says, "Why not use the codes I gave you instead?"

"Because I might not have time to read them out loud and clearly. Would it Geek?" I ask again, getting back to the taser question.

Looking at my taser he picks it up, "Modified?"

"No, standard"

Jimmy rolls his eyes, "You carry that antique cannon and an over-the-counter piece of crap like this?" He shakes his head and heads to the back. I can hear him rummaging around and after a few minutes he comes back with a taser that is the same shape as mine but instead of it being silver it is matte black. "Don't get caught with this Samantha."

I look at it and nod. Jimmy also was the local black-market dealer for esoteric weapons. "Thanks Geek, how much I owe you?" I ask as he sets it in front of me.