Saving the Starlight Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They talked and joked like three old friends and then it was time to go.

"Let's meet for a drink on Friday after work," Sally suggested.

Fenton looked at Trinity slightly nervously, a look not lost on Sally.

"Fine but may I suggest as well as me that Bruce and Milly Jessop and your father be invited to that informal meeting Trinity," Fenton said.

"Why him?"

"Because your father is highly regarded in the community," Fenton explained. "Also he's chairman of the Community Arts Centre and is bound to know Milly - see how it all ties in? But if that's not acceptable, don't invite him."

Trinity was finding this interference rather grating. She wished he'd butt out.

"Any more pearls of wisdom," she asked sarcastically, but immediately regretted saying that upon seeing his eyes light up.

"Now that you mentioned it yes," Fenton smiled. "We need to appoint a publicity manager, one with a proven track record."

"I suggest that specialist be recruited urgently and then have the Metro publish these events as story under a big heading like 'The Starlight Cinema Gets 11th-hour reprieve' and the following day have Mayor Radwanksi announce that he will be calling a Council-sponsored cocktail party of invited guests to open the Save the Starlight Cinema Funding Campaign."

"Every couple of days that publicity specialist would drip-feed the publicity articles ideas to Fletcher Graham and he'll do the rest. Think of that original article he did on you guys in that newspaper."

Trinity said as little coolly, "Newspapers want substance before they become excited. What have we to offer beside verbal intentions? And also radio and TV journalists need to be included in being fed stories."

Fenton ignore the slightly negative response, smiling and saying that just before leaving his office he'd emailed an instruction to Alex Robinson to have a contract prepared for the design of an nine-level building with the cinema retained as originally planned, that the ninth level would almost certainly be granted by the Council as a bonus to compensate for saving the historic building.

"I'll authorise commencement before the ink dries on the contract," he said. "Meanwhile, you might like to give Fletcher this concept; newspapers love publishing concept drawings."

The women bent over the drawing and approving noises were soon forthcoming.

Trinity: "This looks great, totally becoming for a theatre constructed in the art deco era in this country."

Sally agreed. "Citizens generally will be impressed, which is what we want. Aren't we three really working as a sharp team?"

Her companions nodded, smiling,

Fenton was dropped off first. As he was climbing out of the rear seat, Sally the driver leaned over the front seat and called for a kiss and was kissed. Trinity sat stiffly with just a wee smile and said goodbye and received a warm 'Goodbye Trinity' without physical contact.

Sally parked outside the Neighbourhood law office. "I think he's really genuine, and a lovely guy."

"I'm of that mind myself. But Sally we are thinking of raising three million bucks? We are out of our tree."

"Aye it does appear daunting. I figure we think of it as only three hundred bucks and move on incrementally from there."

"You have a wonderful free and flexible mind Sally. Look, may I ask you something personally - about him?"

"Fire away sweetie."

"Um how is it you were kissed and I settled for a hand wave?"

"It's the difference between us darling and you would have observed I pressured him into it."

"I've been bonking men since I was eighteen and love it; it's so me! Some women are put off by the sweat, grunting and the consuming desire of the male to dominant during that adult play. I focus only on the passion and what I can get out of it and give to him energised effort in return. Bryce knew I was like that before he proposed to me and accepted I was unlikely to change, admitting I was too much for one man."

"God as soon as I finish I feel like going to sleep."

"We are all different darling but I suggest you think more about passion and liking what we are doing than to shape up into a big yawn. The more you enjoy rutting the more enjoyable it's likely to become."

Trinity moaned it was difficult enough for have a guy look at her more than once and to get beyond that was almost a miracle.

"Yes, I don't doubt that. Have you ever indicated to any guy you're interested in you know what?"

"Sally!"

"Darling our big guy is interested, very interested in you. But what do you do? Hug your boobs and cross your legs - that's what you do. What a turn off."

"That's just me."

Sally re-did her lipstick. "He just kissed me. Why?"

"He saw or at least sensed your sexuality and of course responded to your request to be kissed?"

"An excellent answer but actually he kissed me because I gave him no option, leaning over my seat like that an almost breaking my back."

"Men are motivated to take what's on offer. I suspect he's one of those with the code that tells him not to do it with married women but I like him, I am to work with him and I want him to like me. Now that he's kissed me he'll feel comfortable with me and will always kiss me in welcome and when departing even with Bryce looking on, knowing a friendly kiss is only a little more advanced than a wave."

"Bodies are made to come together darling so don't remain uptight about it. Fenton's a little older than you but he's just right for you as I see it. Your body knows it but you won't allow your mind to acknowledge that. He'll be great in bed, believe me Trinity."

"Sally!"

"Oh he has a hard row to hoe with you darling. I must go. Now remember, don't consider our $3 million target hanging over your head like a dark rain cloud emitting fork lightning. Focus on opening day with the crowd emerging with shiny faces at the end of the gala screening."

"Sally that is so inspirational. May I kiss you goodbye?"

"Darling if you feel obliged to ask, don't do it."

The kiss sealed a blossoming friendship between an emotionally confused young woman and a vibrant woman almost old enough to be her mother as the age difference was fourteen years. Trinity could be expected to well on the negative thought she was too young for Sally to consider her as a real friend but Trinity would probably finally accept Sally was just the right role model for her apart from Sally's promiscuousness.

* * *

Sally, Trinity, her father Paul and Fenton sat in front of the full Town Planning & Compliance Committee chaired by Joanne Wilson. At a table to the side of them were Mrs Alexis Robinson and her son Gavin, civil engineers and a team of Council engineers were behind a table on the other side of the room opposite them.

Fletcher Graham, property reporter on the Metro was alone on the long Press bench and only two elderly women were in the public gallery, aware that the public would be invited to afternoon tea as the conclusion of the meeting.

Just as the meeting was about to start, Mayor Ivan Radwanksi entered and joined the committee after Joanne welcomed him to sit with them. Ivan said he was sitting in ex-officio as he'd sold ice creams for two years as a lad and retained an interest in 'the old girl' (the cinema). Joanne glanced at him and smiled.

Joanne then announced, "This is a special meeting called to request the Council to withdraw its demolition order on the Starlight Cinema Building. Mr Wentworth, as you represent the owner, please inform my committee the reason for this application."

Ten minutes later Joanne pulled her committee into a huddle and then announced, "The application is granted subject to the site continue to being adequately signposted that the building is in a dangerous condition and unauthorized people are banned from entering the fenced property. The developer has six months in which to make safe the present structure otherwise a demolition order shall be reissued. That is all."

"May I say something?" asked Mayor Radwanksi.

"Certainly Mr Mayor."

Glancing at the sole reporter, Mayor Rydwanski said: "I am sure our community will be relieved that our Grand Old Dame of Cinema the Starlight, has received a stay of execution and in fact will be restored to its former glory.

It will involve generous public subscription to save the cinema. I personally will donate $50,000 to start off the fund-raising campaign and will appeal to my Council to more than match that amount with a grant of $500,000. The bank of which I am chairman can also be expected to give generously towards achieving the fund-raising target of $3 million. Mrs Tucker, I invited you to respond."

"Mr Mayor, this is amazingly generous of you as First Citizen of our community," Sally beamed. "As chairman of the Save the Starlight Trust I can assure you that construction will proceed under two contracts - cinema restoration and the other contract for erection of the high-rise building above it."

"That will ensure that money raised through the trust will be used solely on cinema restoration and contribute half of the cost of the concrete floor above it that is being designed to support the cinema's original ceiling structure."

"For this amazing and expensive option to save the cinema we must thank the site's new owner Mr Fenton Murdoch, who recently returned here to his hometown and who dreamed up the engineering solution he'd dubbed the Garfia Solution."

"We also thank civic engineering consultants Alexis Robinson and son Gavin for producing the engineering drawings, without charge, that meet all Council requirements. This is a miraculous outcome and I especially thank Mr Fenton Murdoch for taking the major initiative in this community project."

Fletcher Graham secured the drawings showing how the age-weakened concrete walls of the cinema would be affixed to steel columns and in turn they would be attached to the heavier steel frame of multi-floor building to be constructed to encase the cinema. He secured assurances from Fenton and engineer Gavin Robinson that the remedial work on making the cinema walls safe would be completed well within the 6-month deadline.

Gavin said, "The mayor's hugely generous donation ensures an immediate start as soon as the building permit is issued and if the Council comes across with $500,000 then that will more than cover the steel reinforcement work. My engineering partner my mother and I will be ecstatic when the Starlight Cinema is a safe house again. My mother first took me there when she was pregnant with me."

Alex recalled, "It was a re-run of Gone with the Wind Even more exciting for me was I went to the Starlight five years earlier on a blind date with my late husband."

Aware that Fletcher was writing notes Alex said, "If you quote me write Alex - I don't like my name Alexis."

"Fine Alex - I called a photographer who'll be here in a minute. Please arrange a group of you with the Mayor."

Sally turned to Trinity, "Go to him, tell Fenton you think he's wonderful. Remember what I told you about energy plus passion."

Trinity took a tentative step forward.

Sally pushed her hard in the small of the back and Trinity fell forward and Fenton scooped her into his arms.

"Thank you, you are wonderful," Trinity said, closing her eyes and felt his lips close on to hers just as a camera flashlight fired. She struggled free, greatly embarrassed.

Next morning in her office Trinity stared at the front page of the Metro thinking 'You slut'. The huge picture taken side-on showed the kiss and her with one foot bent and in the air, herself plastered totally against Fenton. Her dismay was eased a little by the over-line: A Kiss for the Starlight Hero.

The caption read,

City lawyer Trinity Wentworth momentarily sees property developer Fenton Murdoch as the handsome hero minutes after plotting a way acceptable to all parties to save the Starlight from demolition. The cost to the community is expected to be $3 million which Trinity and her buddies on the Trust chaired by the charismatic real estate saleswoman Sally Tucker will head the campaign to raise such funding. The cinema/theatre will be handed over to a community trust to own and operate as a self-supporting business.

The cost to millionaire Mr Murdoch is high as in helping to save the cinema costs him the big income his family trust would have pocketed from ground floor tenants on that premium level. Our jovial Mayor Radwanksi has personally given the Trust $50,000 to set its appeal rolling and has all but promised his Council will follow up with a $500,000 grant to ensure urgent work is carried out save the iconic cinema from slowly crumbling into debris or being demolished. Mr Murdoch will build a vehicle park floor over the cinema and back-stage amenities for theatrical productions and the twin six-level structures to be built above those structures will be called Garfia Towers.(see pages 2 and 3).

Trinity's eyes popped when she read the word 'millionaire' and then the words 'all but promised', as surely that must embarrass the Mayor with his Council. But her eyes stuck on 'Garfia Towers' and she thought how romantic. He must have loved that mare.

Looking up to her doorway, Trinity saw half the staff were gathered, grinning at her. She blushed and that turned into a scowl when Rex Reid made an obscene gesture and asked, "How was the sex with Fenton?"

"Don't you guys have work to do?" she asked icily and they went off to answer her phone.

"Hi it's Milly. Great picture. Is he cross-eyed or is he attempting to look at both boobs while kissing?"

"Milly," Trinity said weakly.

"I can't raise Sally. Do I have your permission to go with Fenton and Gavin to discuss the fresco with them on-site and talk about reinstatement of the original theatre entrance? I possess a variety of photographs."

"Yes of course, not that I have any authority. Has Sally not approached you about taking a seat on the trust as a consultant?"

"No but I'd welcome that."

"Good then consider yourself appointed subject to trust authority approvals. I suggest you have the fresco expertly photographed in case it's damaged during construction."

"Good thinking. I already have arranged a commercial photographer to accompany me when I meet Fenton and Gavin on site."

They arranged to meet for coffee next morning.

Sally was next to be called and phoned back minutes later.

"Hi and it was a smart move to have your leg raised sexily like that. No news editor would be able to resist using such a photo. Everyone says you have your tongue down his throat."

"Sally! And who's everyone?"

"Oh well, just my husband so far. I was astonished at the publicity you generated for us and several of my friends have called to congratulate me being so publicly 'charismatic'. For a change it makes me sound a lovely person."

"You are a lovely person Sally and don't take any notice of anyone who attempts to kneecap your dignity. But you can be a bitch - like pushing me into Fenton as you did yesterday."

"And you didn't enjoy the outcome?"

"Well yes. He's all sinew and muscle."

"What about the rest of his body?"

"I meant his body...oh Sally, need you be so foul?"

When Sally stopped laughing Trinity related her conversation with Milly and arranged with Sally to meet them for coffee mid-afternoon next day.

Fenton called. "You look sexy when you kiss."

"Do I really? They are saying you had your tongue down my throat."

"If I did I apologize."

"No need, you didn't."

"Answer this. Did you feel me harden when you push up all soft and cuddly like that?"

"Is that all it takes to make you hard?"

"Yes, but only if it's you. We need to do it Trinity."

"I know and I was thinking about you for hours last night. This isn't like me."

"Well let's not rush it then. At least we both know it's now on the agenda."

"Agreed."

"What size are your boobs?"

Shaking slightly, Trinity said, "That's for you to find out."

"Likewise."

She wondered what he was on about and then dropped the phone in embarrassment. She picked it up muttering she would have cut him off.

"No I'm still here. What went wrong; did you have an orgasm?"

Trinity suppressed a desire to shriek and to disconnect the call because she knew such reactions on the public telephone system were unacceptable reactions for a lawyer who regularly appeared in Court defending clients. So she swallowed and challenged. "I-I wouldn't think so. H-how would I tell?"

She heard Fenton splutter, suck in breath and say, "Oh Trinity - what a thoughtless thing for me to say. I apologize. Please tell me it's okay, if it is okay, and that you know that I only can become a more sensitive person with your assistance."

Trinity swallowed, thinking he was the guilty one, a lout, a guilty lout. But he'd switched it around and if she didn't accept his apology and say she'd stand by him what would that make her? God, he was so difficult to deal with.

"It's okay. I'm staying on track with you."

She wasn't quite sure what that meant but she heard his sigh of relief. She had to say something to indicate she was the forgiving kind.

She avoided at the last second to blurt that she was willing to go to bed with a millionaire who has a deep memory of a noble white horse.

Instead she said, "Talk sweetly to Sally if you're in a hurry."

"I don't want just any woman - I want to be with you and I only want Sally as a friend. Men find it difficult to have woman friends you know."

Well she hadn't known that but only because she hadn't thought about that and why would she? But she was mightily pleased that he still targeted her as the next female he'd like to have a relationship with. She swept her hair back and choked. "Fenton?"

"Yes, I'm listening."

She imagined a big Arab stallion, head high, nostrils quivering, as the submissive mare called Garfia just in front of him, posed ready to take this weight. Trinity's eyes almost popped and her cheeks caught fire. "I like you. No I really like you."

"That tells me everything. I'll talk to you later dear Trinity."

Replacing the phone Trinity crossed her arms to hug her shoulders. She felt as if she'd just emerged from a washing machine, tossed all over the place, not knowing what was coming next, and then emerging unharmed and feeling refreshed but with a pounding heart. She knew she was ready to commit to a little fling with Mr Fenton Murdoch.

Fenton put down the phone and exhaled, feeling he'd made progress but it had been touch and go. He was used to women being keen to roll over for him and involve in giving him almost anything he wanted ranging from an hour long tumble to a relationship lasting weeks, even months.

When he was on the prowl never had he dealt with a woman with the resilience of Trinity. In a thought very unfamiliar to him, he decided to remain in contact with her and wait patiently for Trinity to say, "Let's do it Fenton."

He'd then give due consideration to her request.

Due consideration? Who was he trying to kid, Fenton leered!

A minute later Fenton raced off to the cinema, aware he was late for an appointment.

"Woman trouble," he lied apologetically to Meg Raymond-Moore from Metro who was waiting with a photographer who looked pointedly at his watch.

"That's quite understandable," smile Mrs Raymond-Moore. "Reggie, take your photograph now and then you can go. Being a gentleman Mr Murdoch will drop me back at the Metro.

Reggie took twenty shots of Fenton standing with the boarded up frontage in the background and then five more of him sitting on a seat against the railing of the boardwalk with the sea in the background, gesticulating as he talked to Meg.

The photographer left and Meg's interview lasted almost ninety minutes before they crossed the road for coffee and he delivered her back to her newspaper office.