Season of the Wolf Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Grace is pregnant. She can't deliver this child alone. Someone I trust will have to accompany her. Coyote has never been in a war. He has never seen the battlefield up close and personal the way that I have. Bear would make a suitable second in command. He has been the pack's enforcer for decades and they respect him. Coyote is more skilled in the art of bullshit than war and he's the perfect protector for Grace in my absence. There isn't anyone I trust more with Grace and our baby than Coyote. He loves her just as much as I do and he will do what it takes to keep her safe.

I hold Grace too tightly and she wiggles in my lap. I am inflamed with the sudden need to be inside of her. Gripping her waist I maneuver her so that she's straddling my thighs. I'm fumbling desperately with her clothes. Crushing her lips with brutal and possessive kisses. I don't give a damn that anyone could walk in on us at any moment. I want to make love to my mate right here and now.

The chair is antique and groans from the strain of our weight. I peel off her sweater and practically tear her breasts free from the lacy bra. Guiding her to the floor, I wad up my shirt and place it under her head as a makeshift pillow. Tendrils of her dark hair have worked free from her braid and curl around her face. I love it when her eyelids fall closed and her cheeks flush with her burgeoning passion. I inhale the scent of her arousal and trap the musky, sweet aroma in my nostrils. I savor every detail of this moment as if it's the last time we'll ever be together like this. We don't have much time before I have to put my plan into action. Tonight may have to sustain the both of us for a very long time before we're finally together again.

"I love you, Grace," I groan. She smiles so sweetly and I know without her saying so that she loves me too. She lifts her hips and I guide her jeans and panties down her thighs. I can't wait to plunge into her depths. I toy with the triangle of soft curls between her legs. She's wet and ready, opening wide to welcome me home. I trace my fingers over the curve of her stomach, caressing my unborn child. I can feel the life growing inside of her. I know it's too soon. She's barely showing, but I swear the baby moves, gravitating toward my palm. I plant a kiss where I think the baby's head might be and whisper words that Grace doesn't understand to the child.

I am a man of faith and devotion. I've invested everything that I am and ever will be into this woman and the life growing inside of her. I speak in the language of my ancestors. Making promises to the baby that I'm certain I can keep. Our child is our future and I trust that the steps I'm taking today will ensure that there's a tomorrow. Beyond the life of this baby and its mother, nothing else matters. My own life is void without them.

I'm fumbling with the button on my jeans in my desperation to join Grace and I as one. I need this contact...this intimacy to seal all the promises I've made to our baby. If I'm going to do this, send her away and entrust her to Coyote's care. I need the coming together of our flesh to give me the resolve to do it. I cup my cock in my palm and stroking up and down the shaft, stare down at Grace. I know her every curve and the nuances of her body, but I take them in once more roaming my eyes over every inch of her. She is my map and the compass that will lead me to the only place I'll ever want to be...home.

I enter her body, shivering in the raw wet heat of her tender core. Her walls spasm around my cock and the sensation is the comfort of a thick blanket on a cold winter's night. My hands are trembling as I cup her cheeks and lift her head so that our lips meet in a hungry kiss. She is water to a man lost in the desert and the sweetness of her mouth gives me the sustenance I need to survive. I'm thrusting into her. I know I'm not being gentle. I'm as deep inside of her as I can get, buried to the hilt and pummeling into her with desperate wild thrusts. "Grace, Grace." I'm moaning as I lose the battle to hold back and spill my release down her thighs. Her name is a prayer. It's a promise. It is the reason I exist and everything I will ever live for.

I've kept us locked together though I'm spent. Grace's body is soft and pliant, loose jointed and lax the way it is when I've loved her thoroughly. I trace my finger over her lips. They're curved in a lazy, contented smile. Reluctantly, I withdraw from her warm depths. Neither one of us want the moment to end. But, I can't stop time from marching forward at its frantic pace. Luckily, Grace has only learned a few basic phrases in Algonquin and she doesn't understand the promise I make to her and her alone in my native tongue.

I help her to dress and set her clothing to rights. She's exhausted and the weight of the day has been too long on her narrow shoulders. There are only a few hours left of the night and not much time for me to make my plans. I help her to the carriage house and our temporary apartment up the stairs. I keep a brave face, revealing nothing of the hailstorm pounding away at my heart as I tuck her in. Promising that I'll be to bed soon, I place a gentle kiss on the tip of her nose. I stop before I go out and lean on the doorjamb, listening to her rhythmic breathing. Grace is fast asleep, but a part of her knows I'm here, watching over her. "I love you, Grace," I whisper to her unconscious mind. She smiles and turns over in the bed and my heart shatters to bits, but my resolve is as unyielding as solid steel. I won't get another good night's sleep until the two of us are together again.

I need Coyote's innate deviousness to help me devise my plan. He'll need to live up to his nickname to pull it off. I know where he is. Though the bar has been empty of patrons since the vampires arrived. He still insists on keeping the place open till the very last possible minute. At two in the morning the neon sign is still lit, glowing red and shining eerily into the darkness.

I walk in and make myself at home on a stool. He doesn't ask me what I'll have. He sets up two shot glasses and pulls out a mason jar of homebrew from his private stash behind the bar. We down the shots and he pours us another. I can tell from the expression on his face and the way he keeps pouring the drinks and knocking them back like a pro. He knows what I've come here for and it isn't the homebrew. "You know I'm in love with Grace, right?" he asks.

I nod and empty my shot glass. I do know. That's why I trust him with her life. He refills my glass and his own as well. The whisky is sweet and burns like fire going down. Coyote winces from the burn and grunts. We sit in silence, the only occupants in the bar, and drink. My head is dizzy from the effects of Coyote's potent homebrew. I down one last shot and get up from the stool. I stand at the door and study my reflection cast in the glass. I don't even bother turning around to face him. "Do whatever you need to do to keep her safe," I say as I leave.

Our eyes meet in understanding. Coyote tips his full shot glass at me and tosses it back. "I always do, brother."

Chapter 49

Coyote's Point of View

The hands on the neon clock above the bar are pointed with the little hand on the three and the big hand on the nine. It's forty-five minutes past closing time and I still haven't bothered to lock the door and turn off the lights. I've been wiping the same spot on the counter since Han walked out and left me in charge of the keys to the kingdom. I can't decide what to think about what he has asked me to do. Is he stupid, just that desperate, or am I really the only person in the world he trusts with Grace and their unborn child?

He told me to do whatever I needed to do to keep her safe. That's the problem. When it comes to Grace. I can think of a hell of a lot of things I'd like to do to her. And not a one of them is honorable. Damn Han. I was brutally honest when I confessed to being in love with Grace and he still put me, no, put the three of us in this ridiculous predicament.

My cock twitches in a half erect state at the idea of Grace and I alone in the Alaskan wilderness. She'll be vulnerable and isolated in that desolate place. Missing Han so badly that she might that she might turn to me for comfort till his return. Trust me, a part of me, exactly eight semi-hard and aching inches of me, doesn't mind being the one to ease her loneliness.

I've been on this planet a while. No, I'm not quite as old as fuck, like Han. But, I've been around a bit. In all my years as a contributing member of society I have never, ever let my little head rule my big head. However, I'm considering it now. Han said to do whatever I needed to do to keep her safe. To me, 'whatever' could mean a hell of a lot of different things including seducing her in order to gain her cooperation. Grace loves Han so much that I wouldn't put anything past her when it comes to him. Including braving the Alaskan wilderness if she grows too impatient with waiting for his return.

I scrub harder at an invisible water stain on the glossy dark wood of the bar. The simple mindlessness of working the damp rag over the wood helps me workout my frustration. It's so unfair. I saw her first. If I had approached Grace instead of sticking to the background and snapping pictures, I might be the one she loves so desperately instead of Han. I have been waiting so long for the right one to come along and I thought. Well, it doesn't really matter what I thought. Han snatched Grace right out from under my nose and I, like the honest fool that I am, let him.

I never thought anyone would ever say I was too good for my own good. I sure as hell never thought I'd say it about myself. But, it's true. Grace has feelings for me. Han must realize this. He isn't stupid. I could have poured on the charm and tried to steal her from him, but either because I'm the fool or I truly do believe in love at first sight. I didn't. I stepped back and let nature and nurture do their thing and Grace ended up where she was supposed to be. In Han's arms and now, he's handing her over to me for safekeeping.

Looking back, when I located Grace in California. The best thing I could have done for all of us would have been to just keep on walking. Lie and say I didn't find her. Kept out of the way and let her live a completely normal human life. If I had, none of us would be in the situation we're in now. But no, I couldn't have done that. Once again it was a case of being too good for my own good...for our good. And well, this is where my honesty has gotten us. Crazy Coyote...the only fucking honest trickster on the whole damned planet.

Fucking vampires. We're on the brink of war because of them. Oh, something was bound to happen sooner or later. The world has simply grown too small to keep us hidden forever. Though, I have to say, my hat is off to Nathaniel for trying. Han is smart to get Grace and the baby out of it before the shit hits the fan. I'm the baby of the pack and I get why he's leaving me in charge of her safety. I've never seen war, not like he and some of the older ones in the pack have. But, what he fails to realize is that this war isn't going to be like any war that anyone has ever fought before. We've never battled an enemy and been so equally matched.

The vampires, much like us, are a cruel joke...one of Mother Nature's cruelest. They're the perfect counterbalance to us. We have only one advantage over them and that's the blood flowing through our veins. Without it, it'd be so easy to hunt them down to extinction.

Han values life, any life, too much to consider exploiting the vampires' greatest vulnerability and wiping them off the face of the planet. I only hope that when the time comes and the lines are drawn. The vampires show us the same deference Han has shown them. I have a feeling though that they won't. Our survival is pretty much a guarantee. After all, they need us if they want their precious daylight. But, a life in a cage, no matter how gilded, is no life at all. I'm pretty sure the pack of natural wolves so well cared for in the wolf sanctuary bordering our lands would agree.

I might never have seen an actual war, but I'm fighting one and have been fighting it since the first time I saw Grace. And believe me, there's no worse enemy to battle than your conscience. I'm glad Han is getting Grace out of here. I'm honored that he has chosen me to be her protector. But, this is wartime and I'm protecting something more valuable than Grace's life. I'm ensuring our future. Make no mistake about it. I'm going to use every trick in the book to do it.

The hands on the clock are inching towards four in the morning. If one of the excise inspectors from the great state of Indiana popped by right now, I'd be in deep shit for not turning off the lights and locking the door. Strangely enough, I guess to give the drunks time to sleep it off. I can't serve liquor between the hours of three and seven AM or on Sundays. I'm not necessarily worried about a surprise visit though. No one ever travels this far off the beaten path a good reason and an inspection isn't a good enough reason.

My mind is blazing full speed ahead. The minute Grace stepped onto pack lands I began the task of building a contingency plan. Part of that plan involves an elaborate escape clause. Bit by bit, I've been building alternate identities for her and putting the pieces in place to erase her from the land of the living altogether. With just a few keystrokes, Grace can disappear. The web is so tangled that I'm not completely sure the good Lord in heaven could track her down.

Angela and Josiah were good in the hiding of their daughter. But, you can't bullshit the ultimate bullshitter and that's me. I was in L.A. less than ten minutes before I found a trail to follow. I've got to be smarter and trickier than I've ever been in my life. I've got to hide her so well that not even I, if I weren't in on the plan, could find her. The travel plans and making us both disappear without a trace will be the easy part of this whole debacle. Garnering Grace's cooperation and prying her away from Han will be the hard part.

I wipe my damp hands on my jeans and check the stock in the cooler. There's plenty of beer, but I need something to keep me busy. I could very well be the one to help Grace bring that beautiful baby of hers into the world. I don't suppose it's any different than delivering a calf or a foal and I've done that plenty of times. It's just that it's Grace that has my palms sweating like a teenager's on prom night. My face could be the first one the baby sees and the idea of it scares the shit out of me.

I decide the cooler could use restocking and make my way to the back room to grab a few cases of beer. The familiar sound of the aged wooden floorboards cracking beneath my feet brings a smile to my lips. I look around the bar and realize I may not see her again for a very long time. Everything is neat and tidy. The chairs turned upside down on the tables from where I swept and mopped the floor. The glow of the neon signs reflecting off the mirrors and the gleaming surfaces makes me realize I'm homesick already and I haven't even left yet.

The organization of the stockroom only makes sense to me. Nothing is in any particular order, but I could find anything in this small room with my eyes closed. I inhale the dry scent of cardboard and the yeasty smell of grain alcohol and the tang of the lemon wax I used to wipe down the wood. The pack are my best customers. Hell, they're my only customers and I have served them for the last forty some odd years. This place is more than just the local watering hole to me. It's home.

This building is old, far older than I am. She has stood the test of time and I recon that she'll still be standing when I get back. I have faith in that, in the one constant in my life.

Mouse, a tough old bastard I've never been able to catch, eyes me with wary black, beady eyes. You'd think being a predator I'd have no trouble catching one wily rodent. But, the furry son of a bitch has been evading me for years.

Oh, I know mice don't live that long and the mouse scampering for cover isn't the original Mouse but one of his gazillions of offspring. But, his presence still makes me smile. I suppose. He's a constant too. He sits on his hind legs and twitches his whiskers at me. We've come to an understanding, he and I. I don't bother him and he doesn't show himself when there are patrons around. The last thing I need is a pack of werewolves tearing the place apart hunting a damned mouse smarter than the lot of us put together.

"You're in charge now. Take care of her for me till I get back." Mouse gives his whiskers a final twitch and dodges back into his hidey-hole behind the baseboards. I guess that's as good of an answer from him as I'm going to get.

I'm more of a homebrew man myself, but I grab a case of Budweiser off the shelf. Given some of the bar's newest patrons, the fucking vampires, I've taken to stocking something less flammable than homemade sour mash. The last thing the town needs is a bunch of drunk off their ass fanged freaks of nature prowling about. Besides, I don't believe in wasting the good stuff on bad company.

I'm turning to leave the stockroom with two cases of beer in each fist when the bell above the door sounds. "We're closed," I shout, but I hear footsteps approaching the bar. Who in the hell would be here at this time of the night? Sure, vampires are creatures of darkness, but even they respect closing time.

I spot her perched on a stool as I take my time sauntering to the bar. Honestly, I can say she's looked better. Her clothing hangs in tatters from her body and to say she's a bit disheveled would be the understatement of the year. She's hardly the super model type I drooled over through the view of my camera lens back in L.A. Her blonde hair is a mass of tangles and snarls. She's certainly toothier than I recall. Considering, she didn't have fangs the last time I saw her. "Well, hello there, pretty lady," I say as I set the case down on the floor behind the bar and reach for a glass. "What can I get you to drink?"

Chapter 50

I was sleeping so well. I emphasize the word was. That was before Coyote rudely ripped the covers off and woke me up. "C'mon sleepy head. Get your ass out of bed. Daylight's burning, Gracie Mae. Up and at 'em." I groaned and buried my face in the pillows trying to ignore him. But, when Coyote wants to be. He's pretty hard to ignore and damned annoying too. I crack an eye open and the time registers. Daylight? It's barely dawn. Coyote is riffling through my closet and finds what he's looking for. He rips a pair of jeans and a thick sweater off the hangers and tosses them at the foot of the bed.

Han's side of the bed is cold and empty. He didn't come to bed last night. Sometimes, he does that. He wanders all night and finally collapses wherever he is. My lips are dry and my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. I mange to collect a little spit on the tip of my tongue and moisten the dry membranes. Coyote impatiently allows me a few minutes for my brain to come on line and the world to focus. He goes to the bathroom and fills a glass of water, then shoves it in my hand. I drink the cool liquid down and try to catch up with him. "Where's Han?" I manage to sleepily croak.

Coyote gives me a look and then busies himself digging through the bottom of my closet for a pair of boots. "I don't know. Out politicking, I guess?" I'm still a little fuzzy and waking up to Coyote ripping off my covers and rattling me has left me annoyed and irritable. I can tell by the tenseness in his shoulders and the way he won't meet my eye that he's up to something. He knows something, perhaps many things that I don't.