Second Comings III The Mask of Anar

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No. I could care less. Some lawyer will get them off, either there or on appeal – you can be sure of that. Those kids have money, you know. If they were poor they'd be in prison already."

"Now, now, Jordan, are we angry? What about the whole 'goodness' thing?"

"Goodness doesn't have anything to do with ignorance and sticking your head in the sand, Justin. It's about how you deal with all the miscreants that surround you!"

They laughed then, and Justin looked around the table now, at the president and all of his deans, and Lake laughed again – with the man, and at his memory of that day.

"Justin? What's so funny?" the president said, looking dismayed.

"Funny? Oh, nothing, sir. I was just thinking about Laura."

"Well, surely there's nothing very funny about her condition, is there...?"

"No sir, of course not..."

And Lake recalled the last time he saw her. How he came into her room at the hospital, how he looked at her once, at her face, at her features – frozen in time. All those memories. All the love he spent on her warped view of life, her broken view of the living.

And he continued to stare at her, not sure whether to pity her, or try to forget her. And then her eyes moved, and she was looking right at him in that last moment, then she smiled at him, and winked an eye.

(C)2016 Adrian Leverkühn | ABW

[As always, this is a work of fiction, and all characters, places and events are fictitious, and no persons, events or academic institutions are inferred in this story, or should be inferred.]

  • COMMENTS
5 Comments
rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
Well Done!

Romanticism is rarely Romantic. Posing the questions and not giving us answers can be the most powerful way to reach the core of the problems. You can't tie things up with a big shiny bow and simultaneously leave them open ended. It requires the readers to think for themselves.

Nothing wrong with intelligence, learning to be smart is difficult.

Thank you Adrian Leverkuhn, thank you.

Sidney43Sidney43over 8 years ago

Your writing is excellent and since I am not a student of many things academic, some is over my head even though I did go to college (and graduate). So, very enjoyable reading even if I don't necessarily agree with all of the political discussions. But, the last sentence, eye movement, a wink and a smile, great stuff indeed for a twist in the story. However, a catatonic state would be impossible to pull off and then take the mask off for a moment. An arm in the air, blood pressure problems, eyes drying out from no blinking. I know, much too literal, ruins a great story, just like my wife derides me for criticizing programs on TV.

Five stars for talent.

katibkatibover 8 years ago
Gripping

Really excellent writing with some memorable sentences and even paragraphs. The three sections are almost flawless. I rather doubt that an educated man such as Secord would say: "like I said."

moandickmoandickover 8 years ago
Wishful thinking

Maybe just my wishful thinking but I would have loved to hear that the 'rapists' got their 'just' rewards - like several hundred years in hard-labour prison - but as usual, money won the result - or am I just an old cynic!

Good story and well worth the time spent reading it - even if I didn't like the ending too much.

DragonlightoneDragonlightoneover 8 years ago
Very clever

I like your work, one of half a dozen or so on this site. The last four words made sense of the whole story, subliminal messaging, very clever indeed.

Share this Story

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Falling A story of young romantic love.in Novels and Novellas
One Stupid Mistake I didn't think he would just up and leave me.in Loving Wives
8 Mile I made a financial arrangement with a homeless woman for sex.in Romance
Catch of a Lifetime He was hoping to catch something big. He had no idea.in Romance
Words with Friends Two people are brought together by a game.in Romance
More Stories