Seeking Eternity Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But... How about you? asked a small voice at the back of her mind as the cab that Raine hailed sped down the highway towards The Greyfox.

Raine let out a sigh that had the cab driver looking at the rearview mirror with concern. She flashed him a smile as if to say that she were all right.

She was not clueless as to what she was, even though neither Ross nor Ashford had wanted to tell her anything. She must definitely be a shifter, and the genes must run on her maternal line. Fragments of what happened to her and her parents more than a decade ago were slowly returning, and the last memories that she had of her mother were filled with claws, yellow eyes and fangs.

Definitely not human, Raine thought.

The cab driver cleared his throat as the vehicle came to a stop. "We're here, miss."

Raine blinked. So deep was she in her thoughts that she had not noticed her surroundings. Glancing out the window now, she saw that they were indeed already outside The Greyfox. She took in the sight of its exterior, with its modernistic design and tinted glass windows. It was a restaurant accessible only to its members, and Raine had heard so many good things about it. At one point in her life, she had wanted that membership, but not anymore. Now, she would rather believe that it did not exist. If only not for Cassandra Norwood, she would not have come.

After paying the fare, Raine got out of the cab and took another moment to study The Greyfox's exterior. Her eyes then fixed on the door, as if expecting to see a woman garbed in red walking out of it, laughing in the arms of a man. She would turn and pull his face toward hers, and the two of them would share a long, hard kiss. The man would reach out to pull her closer as he deepened that kiss, oblivious to his surroundings...

Raine vigorously shook her head, banishing the memory. Instead of dwelling on the past, she focused on the present and walked toward the entrance with purpose. If this place had taught her anything, it was that she could be strong without any man in her life.

Several patrons were already inside the restaurant when Raine entered. The young redhead at the host station beamed at her, revealing a pair of beautiful dimples.

"Good evening, miss," the redhead said, a red leather menu on her hand. "Welcome to The Greyfox."

A funny feeling settled in Raine's stomach, although she could not tell why. Even so, she returned the redhead's smile. "Hi. I'm here for Cassandra Norwood."

The waitress shot her a curious look, but it was so fleeting that Raine wondered if she imagined it. Besides, the young woman's dimples were out again when she spoke. "If you could please follow me...?"

Raine felt quite awkward thinking that Cassandra arrived before her. And just when she thought she would be here before the older woman. It was only about thirty minutes after six, too.

As if sensing her discomfort, the waitress smiled again. "Don't worry. She's not yet here."

Breathing a sigh of relief, Raine fell into step after the woman, although she could not help but wonder how frequently Cassandra Norwood went to the restaurant for her to have an exclusive table. That was the only explanation as to why the waitress did not even have to look at the reservations list.

The woman led her deeper into the restaurant, where lights were dimmer and customers were sparser. Unfortunately, everyone seemed to be throwing curious looks at Raine. Normally, she would not have paid much attention, but the butterflies in her stomach were making her edgy. It was not helping that her hackles were rising.

"Is it your first time here?"

Raine smiled. She did not doubt that the red-haired waitress who was gesturing to a private booth at a secluded corner of the restaurant knew that she had never been here before, but the younger woman's effort to make her comfortable was much appreciated. "Yes, it is."

"I hope you will like it, then," the waitress said as she placed the menu in front of Raine. "Your server will be here shortly, but can I get you anything to drink?"

"Just water for now," Raine answered as she took a seat.

"Coming right up."

As she followed the waitress's retreat, Raine happened to glance at the bar. There was only one man sitting there, drinking. She was starting to look down at the menu when a sudden thought made her freeze.

Eyes darting back to the man at the bar, she held her breath. His posture and his girth were familiar.

No. Raine clenched her fists, trying to fight back her initial response to flee. No, no, no, no, no...

A blonde waitress approached the man, prompting him to turn his head. Raine could not take her eyes off his face. That copper blonde hair, those piercing blue eyes, those perfect bow lips...

Oh, God, no...

She abruptly stood up, clutching her handbag close. Her heart was hammering so fast that Raine was half afraid it would burst out of her chest. Her head was starting to pound, and her breaths were coming out rapid and short. She knew that she had to get as far away from this place as possible, as soon as possible.

Her eyes fell on him again before Raine could take her first step. As if drawn by her stares, the man lifted his eyes, looking directly at her.

Nicholas.

His familiar warm gaze struck her with such a force that Raine felt as though all the breath went out of her.

How could he still hold so much power over her?

She walked away as fast as her feet could take her, struggling against the crippling pain in her heart. Questions plagued her all the way out of the restaurant. Why did she have to see him tonight of all nights? Why did she have to see him here? Why did she have to see him at all?

She made it out to the parking lot in front of The Greyfox before a hand closed around her left wrist, effectively stopping her escape.

"Raine."

The sound of her name on his lips was the last straw. Raine silently burst into tears. Strong arms wrapped around her from behind, and, against her better judgment, she found herself leaning in to his embrace. He tightened his hold on her and pressed his lips against her head. Closing her eyes, Raine bit her lip, even as she laid her hands on the arms holding her close. Only then did she fully admit to herself just how much she had missed his touch.

"I'm so sorry," Nicholas murmured against her hair. "Forgive my folly, Raine."

The unbidden memory of the long, hungry kiss that he shared with another woman outside this same restaurant more than four years ago wrung her heart. She could not speak, could not move. Raine had tried so hard to forget him, and she had successfully buried his memories for years–years! Until now.

Tremors wracked her body, and Raine gritted her teeth to fight the excruciating pain that was quickly immobilizing her. She had to get away from Nicholas before she ended up ripping him apart. She might not fully understand what was happening to her, but she understood enough to know that she was dangerous. She needed Cassandra.

Nicholas chose that time to turn her around so that she faced him. Raine closed her eyes tightly, unwilling to let him see the transformation that was painfully devouring her body.

"Calm down, Raine," he said softly, capturing her face between his palms. "You cannot turn here. Not here and not now."

His words washed over Raine like a bucket of icy cold water. Her eyes flew open, looking into his.

Nicholas's eyes were amber gold.

*****

The next time Raine stirred, her sense of smell was assailed by the clean, warm, familiar scent of the forest right after it rained. It made her heart ache. Without opening her eyes, she buried her face on the pillow and inhaled the scent more deeply.

Nicholas.

Through the door of memories, she could see the twinkle in his eyes when his lips were curved up in a smile. She had always loved studying his features up close. Before and after every kiss, before and after falling asleep. There had always been something about the way he looked that drew her in. Even with his eyes closed, Nicholas had looked perfect.

Raine sighed. He had been perfect. She had never felt more appreciated in her life than when she was with him. He had treated her like a queen–from his refusal to make her prepare breakfast or cook dinner, to his propensity for treating her out on expensive dates. Yet, he had never attempted to control her life; he had always given her space. There had been silly arguments about little things, but never arguments about her male friends or her late nights. Every kiss, however fleeting, had been soul-searing, as if a simple touch of his lips had branded her his over and over and over. And the frequent lovemaking had always felt exquisite, sought not for physical pleasure but for something much, much deeper and inexplicable than the momentary melding of both body and soul.

In Nicholas's arms, Raine had experienced love and pleasure, peace and security unlike anything she encountered before or since. That was why she had to keep his memories buried deep, afraid that the pain they caused would tear her apart. And just when she thought that she had locked him in the farthest corners of her past and thrown away the key, here he was again, wreaking havoc in her life and causing such pain that only reminded Raine how much she had loved and lost in the past.

Quietly, he joined her in the bed, pressing his body against her back and pulling her close. A whimper escaped from Raine's lips, and only then did she realize that she was crying. Quickly, she wiped the tears away.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, twining his fingers around hers.

Raine turned to face him, reaching out to touch his face, afraid that she was dreaming. Nicholas kissed her palm, his eyes never leaving hers. Relief flooded through her when he did not disappear like cold morning mist.

"Nicholas," she whispered, lightly touching his lips with her thumb. Only one thought kept running through her head: it's him; I'm not dreaming.

Mellower feelings overwhelmed her, and before Raine could stop to think, she found herself kissing him.

The first touch of his lips on hers was electrifying. Raine felt as if every part of her body became alive, awoken by his touch. She closed her eyes, enjoying the moment as Nicholas began nibbling on her lower lip. It had always been thus–a single touch of this man ignited a passion that she never thought she was capable of feeling. He deepened the kiss, evoking a heated response throughout her whole body. Everything about her seemed to be on fire, screaming for him. But just as she thought she could not take the heat anymore, Nicholas pulled away, leaving her alone on the bed.

Shocked, Raine called after him when he started walking toward the door.

"Why?" she asked, her voice breaking as tears clouded her vision. He was the only man who had ever made it into her heart–the only man who, she was beginning to realize, was still firmly in there–and his rejection of her now cut deep within her soul.

He paused by the door and looked back. The pain in his eyes was a reflection of what must have been so visible in hers. "Because you already belong to someone else."

*****

Nicholas cursed himself as soon as he was out of the room. He had never felt so frustrated and so rotten in his life. The pain emanating from his raging manhood was not enough punishment for what he had just put Raine through.

He should never have held her, never have kissed her back. Hadn't he learned a long time ago that a simple touch shared between them always provoked an unquenchable thirst for more? She was the fire missing in his life, and although a part of him was extremely grateful to have her back in his arms, another part recognized something of which she seemed completely unaware.

She had been claimed. A wolf always recognized the signs of another wolf's territory, and Nicholas felt it the moment she touched her lips to his.

Except that it was not a wolf who claimed her; it was a vampire.

Nicholas let out a deep breath to hold back the violent storm building deep within him. He should never have let her go. He should never have given another man a chance to get close to her.

Never one to give up, he moved purposefully down the hallway. There were things he needed to do–not least of which was to cool down his burning desire. The fates had handed Raine back to him, and he was determined to keep her this time around. He had learned from his mistake; he would never commit the same one again. And to hell with any vampire who would try to steal Raine away.

~~~~~

I was planning to make this section longer and then to cut it in half. For some unknown reason, however, it did not feel right. I need to flesh out the characters some more–which, I think, will be a gruesome task in the near future–but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now, hoping that the muses will continue to bless me with enough inspiration, patience and fortitude to keep on writing.

As always, I would love to hear from you, especially now that the story is approaching a crossroad. Feedback and comments, whether good or bad, are extremely welcome and much appreciated.

Love always, SF.