Segun

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His words broke my heart. Segun is willing to let me go? Does he not feel for me what I do for him?

Sela tugged on my robe's sleeve.

"We should go, husband, and leave these people in peace."

Peace? Where is my peace? Having found love for the first time, I detest giving up Segun.

"Yes, Yonsu Wren," said Jabin Klath. "That might be best."

I glanced at Segun once again, who did not look at me. I bowed to Yonsu Klath.

"My house thanks yours for your hospitality. I pray House Wren and House Klath can forge bonds of friendship."

Jabin nodded. "I appreciate your offer and will think about it."

"Come, husband," said Sela. "I tire and should get back to the hotel."

Chapter Thirteen

Segun

And the houses that carry their lines through the Cursed? They must disappear. Slowly we've been exorcising these families from society, commerce, and politics. But there is one family that perpetrates sin through their family line, and they lead all others in corruption. Let us pray for their redemption.

Reverend Thyenn Sharr, Sermon before the Festival.

How do I still have the strength to stand? Only when the front door opened did I glance toward it and see Aulkus shooting a last look at me. There is so much pain in his eyes I want to run to him, hold him and tell him things will be all right. But I do not feel that myself. Instead, I want to crumple to the ground. I will not show weakness before Sela Wren for my child's sake. I stay on my feet while the front door shuts, and Aulkus leaves my house forever. She is a vile woman, and my heart despairs that my Aulkus is bound to her. But there is nothing I can do. She is his wife. I was merely a Cursed man.

"Son," said my father. "You should rest. You've had—"

"I'm quite aware of the day I've had," I snapped.

"Segun!" said my father.

"Leave him alone," said another voice. We both turned to find Papa Rebus standing in the dining room doorway. Anger colored his handsome face. "This is what comes of ignoring your duties, Jabin. The boy needs a partner."

"I am no boy," I snapped.

"I know, my son," he said gently. "You bear a child, and this should be a happy day for House Klath, except for how it happened."

"I don't regret a moment of it," I said fiercely.

"I can't imagine the horror of it in that place. You should have had so much more than that."

"It is what it is. I will not apologize."

"Nor should you. The Lord of All made us as we are, yet society despises us. But you should rest and put this day behind you. Your father and I will take care of the details."

"Details?" I said.

"Rebus," said my father in a warning voice. "Don't push this now."

"Darling," said Papa. He put his arms around me. "Go to the garden and sit under the feather tree. I will have the servants bring your daymeal and one of your favorite books."

Suddenly I was exhausted, and I did want to sit. Food for the mind and the body sounded like a good idea.

"Yes, Papa."

He kissed the top of my head, and I walked from the dining room. But I stopped by the front door in the wide atrium whose acoustics carry every sound. That is how I heard what Papa said to Father.

"You must partner him now. He needs someone who'll care for him."

"I'll care for him," said father.

"You cannot care for him in the ways he needs now. He's pregnant and needs the emotional support of his Yonsu."

That's when my tears came, tumbling down my cheek, tugged by the sinking of my heart. Aulkus is my Yonsu, and there will be no other in life, even if Father partnered me with another man.\

Stumbling through the house, I entered the kitchen, where Ema shot me a hard glance.

"You should be resting, Segun," she scolded as if she were my parent. But then, she was my nurse as a child and wielded a motherly authority. She had no children, and I suppose she adopted me as hers in her heart.

I sank to the chair at her desk in the huge kitchen. It was one any restaurant would be proud to have, with a double-wide gas stove and side-by-side ovens. It was a central feature of the room, beside the wide solar-energy-fueled cold box and the huge and rare stainless steel work table in the center of the kitchen. The story about this table is that it was original to the ship that brought humans to Ostakis, and the founding Klath won it in a card game.

But then all of my family were salesmen who tell many stories to get the deals they want, so who knows how much of that is true. On Ostakis, metal of this quality is extremely rare on this metal-poor planet. It is probably worth as much as the house.

"I'm telling you, Rebus," said Father, "this has disaster written all over it." Two sets of footfalls walked in the hall toward the kitchen.

Ema's eyes widened, and she shooed me toward the back door that led to the garden. As I stood, I felt the ache in my bones from the previous day, and I barely made it to the door when my parents entered the kitchen.

Papa walked up to me swiftly and wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm so sorry I haven't greeted you yet. I had one of my sick headaches."

"That's okay, Papa. I know how ill they make you."

"It was brought on by worry over you. And now, my son, you carry a child?"

Yes. The thing that has disaster written all over it.

"I think so. My heat disappeared, and I feel different. I saw him, Papa, in my mind's eye. He's Cursed, like us, and his name is Arlan."

My father, standing a few paces from Papa and me, sucked in a deep breath. There were legends and rumors about Cursed "seeing" their unborn children, but it is not considered a good sign. It was an ability that came from the genes of the Unspoken, the ancient aboriginals that inhabited this planet before humans arrived.

"Let us sit in the garden. Ema, bring us some lemonade and scones. And going forward, put an extra helping on Segun's plate. He will need it to nourish his child."

"Yes,Yonsa Klath," said Ema dutifully.

Papa kept his arm around me and steered me to the two lounge chairs under the feather tree. My parents liked to sit here in the evening and watch Ostakis' moon rise. But it is day now, and the air is filled with the prickling heat of Ostakis, and the shade under the feather tree is welcome. A whisper of wind wicked what moisture it could from my perspiring skin. Papa insisted on lifting my feet onto the lounge chair.

"You must eat and drink as much as possible during these first months. You will not want to, but you must keep hydrated and filled with calories. Your child will make incredible demands of you."

"As if life hasn't already."

Papa sat on the other chair and put his hand on my arm.

"I am so sorry this happened to you like this."

"Well, I'm not." Unaccountably I am defensive and angry. "I refuse to make excuses for how I got this child."

"No one is saying that," said Papa sternly. "Not in this house. What I meant is that your Yonsu has other obligations. Otherwise, I'm sure he'd partner with you."

Tears welled in my eyes again, and damn the Lord of All, but I've never been so moody. What the hell is wrong with me?

"It matters not. This child is a gift I will treasure for the rest of my days."

"Of course, you will, my son. There is nothing more precious than a child."

Tears slipped down my face, and I was ashamed of myself. I began to shiver too.

"Ema!" called Papa with urgency.

Ema tottered from the kitchen door bearing a tray, and damn it, the woman was too old for this work and could get hurt. Shakily I stood while Papa called after me, and I took the tray from Ema's hands.

"Go rest, Ransee Yinsi. It is too hot now for you in the kitchen."

Ema looked toward Papa, who nodded his head. He was behind me now.

"I'll take the tray, son. Sit."

I let him and sat again under the feather tree while Papa set the tray on the small table between the lounge chairs. He handed me a glass of lemonade.

"You must stay hydrated, especially when it is hot like this. You risk losing the child if you don't."

"I am aware," I said irritably.

Instead of snapping at me for my impertinence, my Papa gazed at me with parental concern, and the depths of the predicament hit me. I was pregnant, unpartnered, and about to face the most life-threatening thing a Cursed can do—bear a child.

"Will it hurt when I deliver my baby?" I asked. I almost don't want to hear the answer because I don't think my heart can hurt any more than it does now. I think fleetingly of Aulkus and how he must be selling wine at his cart this last day of the festival. I wished I could be with him, but that would never happen again.

"Yes," my papa said pragmatically. "But it stops hurting when you see your babe's face for the first time. And then everything you've gone through is worth it."

Is that true? I suppose I will find out.

Chapter Fourteen

Aulkus

I have heard stories of my men taking up with the Ostakians. I did not understand the attraction until Onikoah came into his heat. My lust for him was immediate, and I fell into his bed without a thought or care. It was healing, as my grief over my wife's death dissolved almost immediately. But what's more, Onikoah gripped my heart immediately too. On Earth, we talk about "love at first sight." This is more than that.

Journal of Captain Winston Veller, Governor, Ostakis Colony

We walked through the crowded city streets toward the hotel. Ostakians on the way to the morning's "festivities" at the church surrounded us. At the crowds' edges, vendors peddled their wares, food, and drink, and the dark robes penitents wore at the church's ceremonies.

"Husband, purchase a robe for me."

"What happened to yours?"

"I cannot find it. The hotel laundry lost it."

Sela cast her eyes to the ground, which was a neat trick considering how our fellow travelers in the street jolted us.

I sighed as if purchasing one of these cheap robes would rob me of my fortune.

"We'll be working the cart all day. And considering what we have to make up to make this trip profitable, neither of us will have time to attend any church function. You don't need it."

"There will be time. Your father will help with the cart. He arrived last night. And I should not stand on my feet all day in this heat. Cursed aren't the only ones that lose children."

With her words, my mind flashed to Segun and the dangers he faced carrying my child. I was a cad or worse for leaving him behind. And then Sela's words sunk into my lust-sodden brain.

"Wait," I said, stunned. "My father is in town?"

"He took the cart to the temple this morning. And it is a good thing he did. Otherwise, we would have lost most of the day's profits."

"And you found fit to inform me of this only now?"

Sela glared at me with a burning light in her eyes, which could only be hate.

"And am I to discuss family affairs before those sinners?" She spat the words with venom, which sparked my anger. We neared the hotel, and I tugged at her wraps around her arms and pulled her through the hotel to our room. I would not argue in public with this woman. In my anger, I pushed her against the door and stared down at her face contorted in anger.

"Do not speak ill of House Klath."

"And why would I not? They live outside the grace of God and continue their line through those things."

My hands clenched at my side, and I worked hard to control the angry words that I wanted to spill from my mouth. I stepped backward because it took me a minute to rein in my anger.

"They are human, just as we are."

"Real men do not bear children," she spat. That was it. The woman pushed me past all reason.

"And real women do not defy their husbands," I said. I could not help but glare at her. Sela's eyes opened wide, and she stepped back as if I had struck her.

"I, I bear your child," she said.

I do not understand why she thinks that is a defense for her thoughtless words.

"And so does Segun, at more risk to himself than you bear ours. You better get used to the idea, woman, because if Segun dies in bearing this child, I intend to assert my parental rights."

"You wouldn't," she choked out. Raising a Cursed man's child horrified her.

"And I would expect that you raise the child with all the grace that our religion demands toward another human being and not the rancor you show your husband right now."

Sela stepped forward and slapped me.

"You're a beast!" she said. "You can sleep by the cart tonight. I don't want you in my bed."

"Don't worry," I said. "I need not sleep by the cart. House Klath will receive me. That might be better than lying with a viper that insults my House with her vicious words."

"Get out! Get out!" she screamed.

"I will. And you stay here. I don't want to see your face in the cart. After all, you bear our child, and standing in the heat will do you no good."

Sela's mouth gaped open. I may have spoken harsh words, but any caring husband would insist his pregnant wife not work. It wasn't strictly true women didn't bear danger in having a child. Many things could go wrong; one was not supposed to add to a pregnant woman's stress. And then I had an unkind thought. What if she wasn't pregnant? What if this was just theatrics to gain sympathy? After all, women miscarried children often, and she could easily say in a month that the child passed in her menses.

She slammed the door behind me, which should earn the woman a spanking. But again, I will not aggravate the situation with such a thing. I never raised my hand to my wife, and even though her slap stung my cheek, I wouldn't hit her. I was ashamed enough to call her a viper, which I should not have done.

I sighed, walked through the hotel lobby, and then wended Kiji-Ost's streets to the Faith Progressive Church. It rose in the background, as dark and ugly as its precepts behind the shorter houses lining the street. I shivered. I hated the thing and could only imagine how Segun felt being subjected to its ill-treatment.

I came upon my cart, where my father stood at the tap dispensing wine.

"About time you arrived," he said. His unhappy expression made me guess he knew everything about what happened last night. He stared at the bandages on my hands and arms from where I yanked the chains from the walls of my cell in my lust to get to Segun. He gave me a cutting look as if I should be ashamed, but I was not. It was not the best place or circumstance, but I refused to let my father chasten me for what nature demanded of Segun and me.

The memory of Segun's keening one word, "Yonsu, Yonsu," in our encounter last night stirred my manhood, and I had to take a deep breath to steady myself.

"Father, I hope your trip did not tire you."

He huffed and handed another cup of wine to a customer. "Well," he said to me irritably. "Take the man's money."

And that was the last thing he said to me for the rest of the day until the street lights winked on, and it was time to close the cart.

"I'll stay in your room at the hotel," he grunted.

"You are welcome. I have other plans," I said.

"What plans?" he said with an arched eyebrow.

"The kind of plans the father of an adult man should not inquire about," I said. "Do you want a ride to the hotel?"

"No," he growled. "I'll walk."

"Fine," I said.

"Think twice if you are going to the Trademaster's house. It is not seemly."

"I'm afraid seemly is out the window, Father. Segun Klath bears my child. Hey, cheer up. Our family fortunes can improve from sharing blood with the most powerful family on Ostakis."

His eyes narrowed. "You will go hell, Aulkus Wren."

"Perhaps. But not today. Say hello to Sela for me. Tell her we'll talk tomorrow."

I hopped in my cart, lighter of heart than I'd been all day. Things might not work out for us in the long run, but I'll see my sweet Segun tonight.

My heart raced as I parked my cart in their driveway. Though I was not, I act like I'm an invited guest. Still, after the Trademaster's offer to me today, I do not think he'll turn me away, so I rang the doorbell and waited.

The housemaster looked thoroughly annoyed. "The family is at dinner," he said gruffly.

Against all hope, Segun showed his face at the door.

"Let him in," he said.

"Segun, what are you doing?" said another voice.

Segun took my hand and drew me into the house.

"Papa, look, Aulkus has come to dinner."

Rebus Klath gave me a distrustful glance. "We've already started."

"Papa, please. Already I feel my stomach settle with Aulkus near."

Rebus Klath sighed. "Come along then." He looked at the housemaster. "Tell Ema we need another place setting."

"Right away, Yonsa Klath."

Despite his parent's displeasure, Segun's smile shone brighter than the sun as he led me to the dining table and sat me next to him. A servant came with a plate of food, but I didn't care what was on it. I was with Segun, and it felt like I was home.

"It's good young Aulkus is here," said my father. He sat at the head of the table. "He should know. We've arranged a partnership with one of my apprentices for you, Segun. He's happy to enter a contract with you since you are pregnant."

Chapter Fifteen

Segun

God of All, the beacon of my life, I wandered from your path and freely and with a solemn heart confess my sins. I had a terrible lapse in judgment, and the flesh of a Cursed tempted me. I beg your forgiveness. Mortify my flesh so I may take comfort in your eternal light.

Prayer for Forgiveness of Adultery, Faith Progressive Church

I blinked, not believing my ears.

"You what?" I said in disbelief.

Glancing at Aulkus, I found his handsome face crumbling into shock, then sadness. He tried to stand.

"I'm sorry. I should go."

My father shook his head.

"Don't," he said. "There is no need. Our son made it quite clear who his Yonsu is, and it is impossible for him to love another man. This partnership is in name only, to offer my son, and his child, the legal protections he needs."

"You cannot do this!" I said. "I can't. I won't."

"You will," said Rebus Klath. His face was as dark as death. "We cannot help who you love, but we'll be damned that we'll let the church touch you again. We've seen the result."

"This is impossible," I said. I rose rudely with my chair, rawly scrapping the polished wood floor. "I will not discuss this."

My father nodded. "Good. There is nothing to discuss."

I huffed. "I'm going to my room."

"Good," said Papa. "And take Aulkus with you. Say your goodbyes tonight. Tomorrow he'll not be welcome here."

My parents treating me like an errant teenager did nothing to improve my mood, and I gave them both the coldest looks I could. Aulkus appeared stricken by the news, and he almost didn't rise when I did. But I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Let me show you to my room," I said.

"Thank you for the hospitality of your House," said Aulkus to my parents. My father nodded gravely while Papa just stared ahead in obvious annoyance. I knew what thoughts crossed his mind because we thought alike. If my father had attended to my partnership in the first place, none of this would have happened. I would not be pregnant and in love with a married man. There would be no need for a hurried partnership with someone who had no intention of carrying out his marital duties or showing me the love and care I deserved. Instead, I'd be partnered with a man who would use the office of the Trademaster for career gain. He could bring a wife or mistress into this house or keep one in a separate residence, which would displease Papa mightily.

We left the dining room, and I led Aulkus through the hallways and to the stairs that led to the second floor.

1...456789