Shadows of the Moon Ch. 03

Story Info
Liam is haunted by the past, Natalie breaks down.
7.9k words
4.62
13.8k
15

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/06/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Izzra
Izzra
118 Followers

Thank you all for the lovely feedback I've been getting. It boosts morale and confidence to say the least. Would love to hear more if you have anything to say, both good and bad.

This part will hint at some secrets. There is a lot to uncover though and we're only scratching the surface so far.

**

"Liam!"

He was shaken awake and blinked up into his sisters frightened face. "Uh. What?" The fog of sleep clouding his thoughts making his response sluggish.

"You need to hide. Take the twins to the roof garden and hide!" She whispered urgently.

A tortured piercing howl echoed down through the house and all thoughts of sleep vanished from his mind. He was up in an instant grabbing a blanket and hurrying after his sister down the hall. They woke the twins in much the same way as Liam had been awaken and rushed them through the east wing until they got to the a huge half circle balcony decorated with a garden.

Kaleigh followed the walls of the house until she reached the handrail and gestured for Liam to hurry. He ushered the two very frightened and crying twins in front of him until they reached her.

"Look Liam. Same as last time, okay? I'm going to help you down and then you catch them, okay?" Her head bobbed with every word. "You're the bravest I know Liam. You can do this. Whatever you hear and whatever happens do not leave the hiding spot until it's safe. You need to look after them." She nodded towards the twins, tears streaming down her face.

All Liam could do was nod mutely. He grabbed the hand rail and swung his leg over, climbing out on the wide ledge stretching around the top of the building. Reaching out back to her he helped Lynn his youngest sister down on the ledge then did the same with Logan, her twin. Leading them one careful step at the time further out on the ledge he looked back at Kaleigh one last time and with a shared nod he rounded the corner of the building.

Thankfully there was a full moon and they had plenty of light to navigate by. A cold wind assaulted them and Liam was grateful for the blanket he had brought. He pushed his siblings into the alcove they had usually covered in and wrapped the warming cloth around them to keep the cold at bay. Sitting on his knees on the windy ledge he hugged his siblings through the blanket to keep them shielded. Their father couldn't reach them here he would make sure of it.

Another piercing howl made the glass of the windows close by rattle. They heard an angry roar and a crash as something toppled and smashed to the floor. "I know you're here! You can't hide from me!"

Liam twitched with every crash and roar that followed until a eerie silence settled around them. He was holding his breath and hoping with every fiber of his being that it was over.

"Where are they?!" Roared the enraged beast that was Liam's father.

"Cover your ears and hum." Liam whispered to the twins while he desperately tried to hide his own tears. He wished he could do the same and not hear what would follow but he refused to let his sister suffer alone. If he wasn't brave enough to stand by her side he would at least bear witness to her pain.

"Father please! See reason!" Kaleigh pleaded. "You shouldn't be around them in this state."

"Shut up you dark haired witch! You are not mine! You! With your despicable darkness."

"Father! Stop this madness!"

The first sickening thud of something hard hitting a body and his sisters cry of pain was carried by the wind to the hidden sibling. Liam's tears ran unchecked down his face and he had to grab the ledge hard to keep from calling out or running to help. Blow after blow his sister endured, whimpering and pleading for their father to stop. Never did she give him the location of the hidden children and Liam knew she never would. Kaleigh was the strongest and bravest person he knew. She would face down any horror and take any blow to keep them safe. She was the closest to a parent any of them had.

Liam had no notion of how long they sat like that, long after the horror of the roof garden had ceased and the stillness of the night had settled over the house again. When the moon began it's slow decent and no more sound had been heard for a long time he told the twins to stay while he climbed back to the garden. Pots and plants were smashed and strewn everywhere. Mud was piled high sticking to his cold naked feet when he cautiously padded to the doors leading into the building. Inside was a deathly silence. Someone had wrecked havoc with the furniture's and the wreckage of a cupboard and two chairs was strewn across the floor.

Confident his father was not around he scanned the area for his sister. The moon had past this part of the house, casting the garden into darkness. With some difficulty he could discern what looked to be a dirty foot sticking out from behind a bench. Soundlessly he crept closer and found his sister horribly beaten and unconscious on the cold tiles.

He knelt next to her the cold wet mud saturating his pajama bottoms and carefully with a shaking hand he caressed the hair from her face. One eye was swollen to a point where she would not be able to open it at all and there was bruises all over her face. Liam kissed her forehead tenderly and thanked her for her sacrifice. He was not blind to the fact that she did it for them. That he would be the one suffering if not for her.

Quickly before the moon disappeared completely he clambered back out on the ledge to fetch the siblings he had left there. Once they were back inside and safe in their beds again he brought plenty of pillows and blankets out to the roof garden and spread them over her. She was to big for his small frame to move, all he could do was watch over her until she woke.

Wrapped in his own blanket he sat in the darkness next to her and waited. For a brief moment she stirred and reached out to clutch his hand. "Liam." She whispered. "You did good."

**

The huge hulking beast roared, throwing him to the ground with the force of his breath. Is body slammed into the mud and it clung to him, sucked him down into the floor, holding him in place. He reached out to grasp the monster with the flaming red eyes when the horrible creature swung his youngest sister out over the ledge, but the mud was holding him down, he strained against it to reach her. No matter how much he tried he could not reach. Could not help.

"I give you back to the darkness from whence you came!" The beast roared and threw Lynn into the waiting abyss.

Liam bolted upright in his bed, the wail of his sisters last seconds of life echoing in his head while sleep still clung to his mind. Clutching at his chest he tried to control his rapidly beating heart and panicked breathing. This was nothing new. Nightmares about this house and what had happened haunted his dreams most nights, it had became a part of him.

He rested his elbows on his knees and put his head in his hands. For so long he had wanted it to stop. The screams. The images. The pain.

**

The following day started much gentler for Natalie than the previous one. There was still a knock on the door but a soft one and as Natalie mumbled a tired "Enter." Eileen popped her head in, a cheery smile on her face.

"Mornin' sunshine. We close breakfast in about an hour so if you want in on that deal you better hurry. If you want more time then I can ask them to make you something but it wont be as nice as the breakfast. We do have a really good breakfast."

"Umh..." Natalie sat up in her bed rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Yeah, sure. I'll take that breakfast."

"Excellent! I'll wait in the main hall. Can you find your way down by yourself?"

"I'm sure I'll find in eventually."

"Down the corridor to the left and you'll see the balconies." With a final wink she closed the door and was gone.

Natalie was absolutely amazed. How could someone be so cheery this early? Grabbing her phone from the nightstand she unlocked the screen and it said eight am. She moaned. Mornings really were her nemesis. They had never agreed on anything and never would. There was a reason she stripped to earn her living. It had decent work hours.

The room they had given her felt like a luxurious hotel with a very comfortable bed, her own quite large bathroom, TV and huge windows with a stunning view of a lake surrounded by a autumn forest. It was the most relaxing place she had ever been to. The ambiance of the surrounding vista made it seem like nothing existed beyond this place. The world with it's problems and misery was just a bad dream and hadn't reached this place.

She hadn't gotten much sleep despite the beauty and comfort of her housing. She had been dead tired when she said her goodbyes to Eileen the previous night but as soon as she slipped between the sheets her thoughts started running laps in her mind. Her sister was top most on her mind and after a good portion of the night had passed and many tears had been shed she finally managed to fall asleep.

A quick shower and she was ready. Having nothing else to wear she settled for the same clothes she had worn yesterday. It was either that or go naked.

The corridor outside her room had a dark wooden panel reaching to her waist and a light creamy color for the other half. Walking down the corridor she passed two large glass doors leading out to a roomy balcony equipped with a benches and tables, a few pots and plants. She passed several doors she suspected led to rooms very much like her own and she passed a open space with comfortable couches and recliners arranged around a large fireplace.

Reaching the balcony surrounding the large hall she had entered through last night she scanned the gathered people for familiar faces. Eileen stood by the stairs flirting with a group of young men and Natalie couldn't help but chuckle. The three men were absolutely captivated by her and she was well aware of it, playing in to it with enthusiasm.

Nazi guy came out from a side corridor carrying a very angry looking Aeryn over his shoulder. They were both dressed as if they came directly from some sort of training and the guy had a wide grin on his face. There was a collective chuckle from the gathered crowd and Nazi guy gave his prize a smack on her very prone ass. With a string of curses she was carried out the front doors and out of sight.

"Natalie!" Eileen waved to her.

Answering it with a shy wave of her own she made her way around and to the stairs. Eileen met her halfway up, hocked her arm around Natalie's elbow and together they walked the rest of the way.

Eileen leaned into Natalie and whispered conspiratorially. "You are my savior. Those boys just wont leave me alone." She giggled.

"I saw you down there. You love it." Natalie smirked.

"Pff... It's so much harder to fool women than men."

"Tell me about it."

"I do like their attention it's just that..." She rolled her eyes and whispered even more quietly. "... I like it a bit rough and I like a dominant man. Those boys are just like puppies."

Natalie burst out laughing before she could stop it. She stared at the petite innocent looking woman beside her and her mind couldn't connect it to what she just heard. Eileen hardly reached her shoulder, was of a very slender build and had large eyes that seemed to scream innocence.

"So you want someone like Nazi guy?" She said still with laughter in her voice.

"Uh- What? Who?" She gave Natalie an incredulous look before something seemed to connect and she rolled her eyes. "You mean Mace? Well woman, who wouldn't want to have that mountain of pure muscle on to of her but to tell you the truth he's a puppy too. At least according to those who has been with him. He's always afraid he'll break something so he never really go for it if you know what I mean."

"Do you know everything about peoples sex life?"

"Nooo... Not everything. There is still the great big sexy mystery of the house." She smiled dreamily.

"You'll have to point him out to me." Natalie said with a shake of her head at the woman's expression.

"You've already met him." At Natalie's questioning expression she purred. "Liiiiaaam."

Natalie's expression darkened instantaneously and she scowled. Eileen gave her a puzzled look but since they had made it to the great dining hall there was no time to continue the conversation. In the middle of the room was a huge buffet of everything you might want for breakfast and they filled their plates.

Eileen was a great company and Natalie got the impression that the woman got along with pretty much everyone. She pointed people out to her, she introduced her to those worthy of introduction and she talked non stop. Natalie was grateful for it since she didn't much feel like being social.

The day passed and she followed Eileen around the house. She was shown the workout area and a great big pool, the housing quarter, the kitchen, the garden and a few recreational rooms with games and other activities in.

Another meal was served in the dining hall and this time it was more organized. There was a table set on a small dais overlooking the seating area and seated around it was the blond stern looking business man from last night. To his right sat a beautiful dark haired woman with warm brown almost yellow eyes. She looked out over the room as if she was the mother of all and Natalie felt a strange need to please her. As if she never wanted the woman to frown at her.

To the mans left sat another huge grim looking man. He had short cropped hair and half his ear was missing on the right side. He looked like a man who would accept any fight despite the odds. He sort of reminded her of a bulldog.

But it was none of these people who caught her attention. To the woman's right sat Liam. He was leaning back in his chair and you could feel the frosty atmosphere emanating from the table. When Natalie entered the room he straightened and his eyes followed her as she walked to her seat. Natalie tried to ignore him as best as she could but she felt his eyes on her as the meal progressed.

From what Natalie picked up from stray conversations Liam seemed to be the talk of the day. Apparently there was a bet going for how long he would stay this time, but there was no scorn or ill-will in what was being said. On the contrary she got the impression that these people saw him as some sort of lost hero that had finally graced them with his presence.

It was all very odd, the people were very odd. There was something off about this crowd she couldn't quite place. They seemed friendly and acted like a family, not the sort of people she expected to have membership in a country club.

When the meal had finished and the majority of the crowd dispersed Natalie was still sitting listening to Eileen's flirting when she felt a commanding presence behind her. The table fell instantly quiet as if they all picked up on it and when turning around she found the master of the house and his brother approaching.

"Natalie." Aarik nodded to her. "How about we have that talk? I'm sure you're as anxious as me to get some answers."

Natalie nodded giving Liam a cold look making sure he knew she did not appreciate his presence. Liam reciprocated with an emotionless blank stare of his own. They both fell in step with each other as they followed Aarik out of the dining hall to the office. She felt as if she should say something or do something. She was itching for a fight with him but this felt neither like the time nor place for such a confrontation.

Aarik took his usual seat on the other side of the desk and Liam slipped into one of the visitors chairs without being asked. Aarik frowned at his brother but gestured at Natalie to take the other.

"Liam has told me how he found you and what happened to you yesterday. Whatever force brought him to you I thank them." The corner of his lips turned slightly upwards in a smirk. "Even if you don't seem quite as grateful. I don't blame you. He has that effect on everybody."

"Yeah, well... Honesty doesn't seem to be his strong suit. Could you please just tell me what's going on?" She felt Liam tense and he gave her a wounded look.

Aarik hummed thoughtfully. "Your father has been doing some... Lets call it 'unique' research. I'm going to tell you what I know without going into detail. I'm not sure how much of this I should tell you since you seem to know a lot less than I thought you would."

He rubbed his forehead with the tip of his fingers. "Your father, together with a special group of people has discovered some very dangerous things relating to their research, your father stole the research data and simply disappeared from the face of the earth." He spread his fingers in a half-shrug. "Unfortunately some very bad people got wind of this and he has now become the most wanted man in the country in less than three days."

Natalie simply stared at him dumbfounded. "So dad fucked something up. Nothing new in that. Why me and why... Lily?" She choked on the last word.

"There is a recording of a conversation he had with a friend of mine the day before he disappeared that makes us think that he has given you something or... I don't know, maybe told you something.

Natalie shook her head in disbelief. "We have hardly talked in four years. The only family member I still have any contact with is... was Lily."

"Ah. Yes. Liam told me about your sister. I'm sorry. We were there at her place a few hours later but they had already taken her. I wish we would have been there sooner."

"Yeah. So do I." Natalie looked away afraid that she would break if she saw the pity in their eyes.

"On that note though I would like to ask you to stay here with us until we get on top of this and it's safe for you to leave again. Because- and I'm only going to ask this once, you better not lie to me. -I take it you know anything about all of this?"

"I don't. I... Don't know anything." She said exasperated.

"I figured as much from your confusion yesterday. Will you stay with us? Until this is finished?"

Natalie shot a quick glance at Liam then back to his brother and shrugged. "I'm going to need my stuff."

Liam snorted. "Two cardboard boxes and clothes. We can replace that."

"They were my cardboard boxes and clothes." She bit back at him.

"We'll see to it." Aarik cut in sharply, interrupting any further argument. "Liam. I'll put you in charge of making sure she have everything she needs. Maybe then she'll think better of you."

Liam nodded. Secretly he was immensely pleased with the decision. There was a need within him to provide for her and his brother had just given him opportunity to do so, whether she wanted him to or not.

"Any further questions Miss Bryant?"

"Lots! What was my father working on?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Can't or wont?"

"Wont."

"Asshole."

Her insult was met by a icy cold stare but beside her Liam chuckled.

"Why is the data important to you?"

"It has the potential to hurt people I care about."

"It's a weapon?"

"No, not as such."

"What is it then?"

"Can't tell you that."

"Fuck."

Another frosty look from the man behind the desk.

"What did the recording say?"

"What?" He looked surprised by the question.

"The recording. Between my father and your friend."

"Ah." Reaching into his breast pocket he produced a cell phone and fiddled with it. Hitting play her fathers voice sounded from the device together with an unknown voice.

"Hi Josh, I know I'm calling out of the blue but I need your help."

"Hey Professor. What can I do for you?"

"I'm leaving. I need you to help me disappear."

"What? What do you mean leaving?"

"I must! This can't... I can't do this."

"What's up Anthony? You're acting really odd. What's the matter with you?"

Izzra
Izzra
118 Followers