Shadows of the Moon Ch. 05

Story Info
A challenge, a chase and a confrontation.
7.3k words
4.71
13.3k
20

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/06/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Izzra
Izzra
118 Followers

Hello again,

To answer a few of the comments from the previous chapters I know this is probably not what you wanted between Aarik and Liam but I do have a plan for how this will play out. I do love reading your comments and it's really interesting to see what parts of the story people reacts to so please keep that up if you have anything to say.

A big thanks to my editors Mandarabe and LiterKnight for the excellent work they do! Much appreciated!

All I can say without revealing too much is that Aarik has his own story to tell. Things are never as black and white as they might first seem. ;)

Enjoy!

**

The torches around the circle flickered as a breeze swept through the forest. The two gray wolves circled the outer rim of the circle on opposite sides. Their eyes locked on each other. All around them on the elevated ground eyes reflected the light between the trees. The better part of the pack had come to watch this event. There was a susurration of leaves, shifting of bodies and padding of paws as the pack moved about.

The bigger of the two wolves growled as he issued a command for silence. Immediately the surrounding forest became deathly quiet and nothing moved. Even the wind seemed to still. The moon was shrouded behind clouds and the only source of light was the torches sat on holders around them.

We will settle a dispute this night! Aarik's voice rang out mentally among the gathered crowd.

Liam watched his brother with mixed feelings. There was a mind numbing fear inside him at the thought of what he had to do to stay. For the first time since his father's insanity he wanted nothing more than to hurry back to the house. Back home. But the only way for him to do that would be to submit to his brother. Not just acknowledge his leadership but completely surrender any right to defy him again.

The huge steel gray wolf moved forward towards the middle in hard powerful strides making sure everyone knew who was in charge. Liam's slightly smaller form stayed where he was, watching his brother with his hackles raised defensively. What he was about to do would require a huge amount trust in his pack and there was nothing in his past that told him that was a good idea.

With his legs far apart and his chest pushed out in a dominant stance Aarik challenged his brother with a stare. Do you challenge me Liam? He spoke the ritual words.

No.

Then why have you defied me? This is your time to speak.

Liam struggled to push out his answer for them to hear but he could not push past the defensive walls put up by his past. There was an overwhelming feeling that if he told them about Natalie, they would take her away. If he didn't keep her safe in secret something bad would happen. The rational part of his brain tried to convince him that this just wasn't true, told him to trust the pack but years of defensiveness had built up a sturdy defense against such emotions.

After a few moments of silence his chest started to heave with anxiety. His tail dropped low to touch the ground and he met his brother's gaze with panic.

The moment dragged on beyond what was acceptable. Having reached a critical moment Liam knew he had to do something. Anything to show how important this was to him. Pushing himself down on his stomach he inched forward towards his alpha. Just a few steps away he dropped to his side displaying his neck and stomach in surrender. It was their sign of submission.

His brother closed the gap between them and looked down at him. Liam could have sworn he saw worry in his siblings eyes.

Brother. He spoke for all to hear. I only have one question.

Liam looked up at him in anticipation.

Is she your mate?

He twitched and lifted his head in surprise. Shocked silence followed the question before Liam managed to answer. Yes. She is.

Then get up. Better men have done worse things for the sake of their mates. She is unclaimed and I know few men as deserving as you to find peace. Just don't let it happen again for the sake of both of you.

Liam got back on his feet still eying his brother with wary uncertainty, looking for signs of mockery or a cruel change of heart. But his brother just grinned at him as Nadja came padding forward with a pleased air about her. Her wolf was browner in color and she was much smaller than her mate.

Congratulation Liam! She greeted him.

He dipped his head towards her. Thank you alpha.

Alpha! I think she's gone! Natalie is gone! The mental voice of Eileen reached them and before anyone could react Liam had bolted towards the mansion, running as fast as he possibly could.

**

After the shower Natalie was left with the choice of going to bed or trying to sate her hunger. Opting for the second choice she left Liam's beautiful rooms to find the kitchen. After a few wrong turns and general confusion she made it down to ground floor and found it.

Eileen was sitting by the big kitchen isle in the middle with her nose in a book and leftovers on a plate beside her.

"Hey." She chirped at the sight of Natalie. "Come and join me. You want something to eat?"

Natalie nodded and pulled out a chair next to her. "Thanks that would be great."

The brown haired woman bustled around and produced a plate with leftovers for her as well. When placing the plate before her she lingered just a second too long and Natalie could have sworn the woman was smelling her.

"So you and Liam, huh? Didn't see that coming. You should have told me the other day." Eileen sat on the very edge of her seat looking at her expectantly.

Natalie shrugged. "It wasn't a done deal yesterday."

The woman grunted in response and looked away as if a sour thought spoiled the moment.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Is it that boss of yours again? Is he controlling everything you do or what?" Natalie asked between bites. This secretive behavior they insisted on was getting tiresome real fast.

Eileen shook her head. "It's not like that, I promise."

"Then tell me."

"I..." Rolling her eyes and sighing she surrendered. "Okay, but promise not to tell anyone I told you this."

Natalie nodded, spooning more food into her mouth.

"I'm absolutely sure this isn't true okay, but there is this stupid rumor going around that Liam is just trying to piss off his brother. They have this feud going that no one really understands. It goes back a while-"

"Hold on. What did you say about pissing off his brother? What exactly do you mean?"

"Well, I mean with you. Apparently you are important to the boss and Liam swoops in to steal your allegiance. But really, you know how rumors work. People are probably just jealous of you hooking up with the cutest guy in this pa... House."

It felt like someone had doused her with ice cold water. Eileen prattled on about something else but Natalie stopped listening. Could there be any truth in what she just heard? There was definitely something very wrong with the people here. The house felt almost deserted and it was in the middle of the night. Their leader kept her in the dark, withholding information that should rightly be hers; she needed to find her father more than anyone to make him answer for what had happened.

How long had Liam been watching her before he made contact? Suddenly his very convenient save of her that day took on a new sheen. Maybe they just wanted her for her father. Had they been watching her hoping he would show?

Maybe Liam was supposed to seduce her hoping she would tell them something. Looking back at the day they had spent together she saw it in a new light. She had thought that Liam charged his brother out of spite but maybe his brother had approved.

Having lost her appetite she pushed the plate away. Eileen gave her a curious look. "You don't look so hot. You don't like the food?"

"The food was fine." She pushed away from the table getting back on her feet. "I'm just tired and need some rest. Umh... I'm going back to bed. Good night Eileen."

"Night!"

Out of earshot she hurried through the house to get to her room. She didn't know what the hell was going on but if no one wanted to tell her then she was not sticking around to be used. She was in control of her life. Not this Aarik guy, not her father and not some murderous fake agents.

If Liam was real and if he was everything she thought he was then she could apologize later for what she was about to do. If he gave a shit then he would just have to forgive her.

Reaching her room she threw her newly acquired things in a bag and headed back out right away. Catching herself by the stairs she halted and stared back up with indecision. She needed to tell him something. Running back up she changed direction towards his suit instead.

A few moments later she was sitting on his bed with her note in hand. It was just a few words but she hoped it would be enough. Setting it down on his nightstand she lingered for a moment. The drawer was half open beneath her fingers and her eyes caught a glimmer of metal.

**

Liam slammed his whole body into the front doors shattering the lock. Pieces and splinters went flying across the room as his paws regained their grip on the ground. He pounded up the stairs of the great hall. He could smell her all over the place but he had to make sure it wasn't just a bad dream or a cruel joke. Maybe he would find her in his bed where he had left her. Maybe this time it would be different.

The door to his suit was left slightly ajar and he was forced to slow down less he crash into the door frame. Beyond the room was quiet. With dread he approached the bedroom. He already knew she would not be there. She was no longer in the house, of that he was certain.

Climbing onto the empty bed he sniffed the space where they had joined no more than an hour ago. A broken and ragged howl of grief escaped him. Why would she leave? What had he done?

His eyes landed on the small piece of folded paper on the nightstand and he edged closer, shifting as he moved. With a human hand he reached out and picked up the note.

My white knight, someday I want to be your maiden but there is something I need to do.

Love

Natalie

Shaking he let the paper fall from his numb fingers. He had to get her back. There were no options. If he couldn't have her back, then to hell with it all. Picking himself up he grabbed some clothes from the wardrobe and reached for his gun in the nightstand only to find the drawer empty. Stunned he stared at it for a moment thinking he might have put it somewhere else. No. He clearly remembered putting it in the drawer his first night in the house.

Natalie.

She had it. Suddenly he knew where she was going. She was taking matters into her own hands and it would most likely kill her. Throwing his shirt on as he hurried out the door he headed towards the garage. He could still catch her if he hurried.

Reaching the great hall he saw his brother standing naked in the middle of the great hall with a hysterical Eileen and most of the pack gathered around him. The girl was crying, trying to explain something. Liam couldn't care less. He aimed for the broken front doors without a word, pushing his way through the crowd.

"Liam!" His brother called back to him just as he was about to reach the outside. He stopped, looking back to his brother. "Don't do this."

"Fuck off." He was beyond caring. There was only one thing on his mind and that was getting to her. Nothing would stop him.

"Hold it!" The alpha command clear in his brother's timbre. "I'm not saying you shouldn't go brother."

Liam looked back at him questioningly, annoyed that he was being held up.

"I'm saying you shouldn't go alone. I know the people who are looking for her. You will need some backup." He looked around the room at the gathered crowd. "My brother needs volunteers to go get his mate back. I know many of you appreciate what he did for you when our pack was fighting for survival. He saved this pack. Now he needs you."

Liam looked around the room and the faces of the pack stunned at what he was hearing. Many of the gathered people nodded their approval at what his brother was saying and Aeryn was the first to step up.

"Hell yeah, I'll join him. We owe him for more than just what happened after your father's death. We owe him for what happened when he was still alive."

At this the pack fell silent; everyone shuffled uncomfortably, trying to forget the pain and suffering. One of the older males stepped up next Aeryn and nodded. "I'll go."

"Me too." Dael called from the back.

"And I'll take Mace whether he wants to or not." Aeryn grinned back at the big man.

"See brother. You are not short on supporters. Five are better than one."

He was humbled. Something within him softened and he looked at the people who had volunteered with gratitude. "Thank you." His words more a croak than speech.

"Don't mention it, boy." Dael said with his usual cheery expression. "Just give us a moment to get our things in order and we'll head out. You have five minutes people! Chop chop!"

With that they all dispersed and dazed Liam continued on to the garage to wait for his team. True to their word they were back when their five minutes were up and splitting up in two cars they set a route and headed out.

Dael and the older man would be riding with him in the lead car and Aeryn and Mace would take the other. Having looked up the address for a certain Lucy Bryant he knew it was going to take them at least three hours to get there. Ralph Warden the oldest of the trio in Liam's car took the wheel despite Liam's objections.

"How did she get out through the gate?" Ralph asked as the black iron gate was pulled aside for them.

"There was no order for the guards to keep her in. They are there to keep people out not in. They asked why she was leaving in the middle of the night and she said there was someone she had to go and see. She was in one of our cars, they thought it was sanctioned." Dael answered from the back seat.

Dael was a beta. One of the first new betas to be appointed by Aarik when he became alpha. At first glance you thought him to be this cheery sort of whimsical father figure but the truth was he had total and complete control of the staff, which was his area. Nothing escaped him.

Liam growled at the thought though. How easy it would have been to stop her from leaving.

"We'll get her back." Ralph said softly, casting a quick glance at him.

All he could do was nod.

**

The car sped through the miles, shortening the distance between her and her mother. She was thankful for the late hour easing the traffic. Her drive was less than legal and she thanked every god in existence for letting her get away with it. Through the first part of her flight from Luna Spring she had cried hopelessly, unable to stop the tears. There was a painful feeling deep in her chest that she was doing the wrong thing. That she never should have left him.

Figuring she was just emotional due to all that had happened the last few days she pushed through it, ignoring the pain. Now she was closing in on the last stretch and nervousness replaced her decisiveness. She didn't really have a plan. She had grabbed the gun on impulse, now it seemed stupid. What was she going to do with it? Kill someone? She had little experience with firearms. Her uncle had let her shoot at cans when she was twelve but that was it. And she had certainly never killed anyone before.

But she had to do something. Her mother might just be the only family she had left. Her dad had abandoned them in his mess, her sister was dead and her mother was in her killers clutches. It was time to fight back.

Parking the car a block away from her mother's small but cozy suburban house she leaned her head on the steering wheel trying to gather what courage she had left. The tugging longing in her chest came back in force and struggling to quell the sobs she reached for her phone. She had to call him, had to hear his voice.

A wail of pain escaped her as she flipped through her saved numbers realizing she never got his. She had no way of get in touch with him. Tears ran unchecked down her face like a flood gate had been open and she threw the phone in the passenger seat.

There was no going back now. No cavalry. She was the only one who could save her mother. Grabbing the gun she stuffed it in her jacket but struggled to get it in a comfortable position. The big lump of metal felt awkward and heavy in her pocket. Drying her tears she took a few deep breaths to steady herself.

"Mom. I'm coming for you." She said to herself in the rear view mirror and pushed the door open. The street was pitch black. Some light spilled out from the houses lining the road but other than that it was disturbingly dark.

No stars were visible this close to the city, just a muddled cloudy sky reflecting the lights from below. She longed for the beautiful lake and the stars of Luna Spring. Blinking away new tears she made her way slowly towards the house, keeping to the deeper shadows and staying alert.

The house was dark but that was to be expected. It was soon four am and she would have been surprised to find her mother up at this hour. Sneaking closer she hid behind the fence and scouted the building for a few minutes before she quietly padded to one of the side windows to peek inside. The living room was dark but from what she could see it looked much the same as she remembered.

Moving around the house to the back she found it empty and nothing looked amiss.

The same with her mother's bedroom window. What little she could see looked in order. Quietly she tapped the glass. Crouching below the window with only her eyes visible above the windowsill she waited for a reaction.

Nothing.

Again she tapped the glass and held her breath, straining to hear any sign of life from within.

Still nothing.

Knocking a bit harder the third time she got a reaction. The nightstand lamp switched on and the sleepy form of her mother sat up. Natalie tapped the glass again and waved, relief washing over her at the familiar sight.

At first her mother looked terrified before recognizing her. The woman was visibly shaken but threw off her covers and hurried to the window. Natalie climbed inside when she opened it and hugged her mother tight.

"Nattie! What are you doing here sweetheart? It's the middle of the night."

It took her a few moments to get her speech back. The relief and the release of pent up anxiety had her shaking and speechless. Taking her mother's hands into her shaking ones she met her eyes head on.

"About Lily. I... Dad..."

Her mother's face fell and her bottom lip trembled. She carefully removed her hands from Natalie's. "How about I make some tea and you can tell me what happened."

Natalie nodded, hurt that her mother would distance herself from her. In silence she watched her mother put the water to boil and prepare the mugs. A few minutes later the tea was put in front of her and the woman took a seat on the other side of the table.

"Mom. What do you know of dad's work?"

"More than I care for sweetheart. He never could let it go."

"What do you know of a project called moonlight?"

"I don't understand Nattie. What does this have to do with Lily? The feds asked me the same thing but they wouldn't tell me why."

Natalie shook her head. "What did you tell them mom?"

"I told them the truth. I remember your father coming home one day, it was in the very beginning of our marriage, he was so excited about getting funding for some ground breaking project. It must have been twenty five years ago now. You were about two years old at the time. The project was called Moonlight but it was classified so he couldn't tell me what it was about."

Izzra
Izzra
118 Followers