Sheeple Ch. 04

Story Info
Shifters and computers and dreams... oh my.
14.7k words
4.77
12.3k
12

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/14/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers

Shifters, strangers, government issued computer programs and chocolate allergies. This chapter continues to set the stage for some action to come. Not exactly world saving, but intrigue... Vote and comment please! I do enjoy hearing from my readers!

Jaisen

*

The school holidays hit faster than Kate expected. Samhain was barely over before Thanksgiving hit and next thing she knew, it was time for the holiday program at school. Jamie was to be a goose and Mark a drummer. The school was doing a modified version of the Nutcracker. It always amazed Kate at how well all of the teachers did to integrate the whole school into one production. She knew it helped that there were only 120 kids in the school.

Kate had finished the children's costumes and had done a final fitting. She packed the stuff into their school bags as there was a dress rehearsal this afternoon. Tonight was the big show. Kate hoped that it wouldn't snow. Almost every evening program she had ever gone to at the school had had some sort of bad weather. Snow, rain, or even hail. The last few programs had had decent weather, so she and everyone else was waiting for the weather forecast. So far it said clear, but no one ever really trusted it.

Eric came racing through the door into the kitchen. He was running late, which was unusual for him.

"Love you! Gotta go!" He kissed the top of Kate's head in passing.

"Don't forget that the program is tonight!" she hollered after him. She'd call him later in the day as she was pretty sure he hadn't heard. His mind was preoccupied of late with a computer project at work. The hospital administration department had finally listened when he suggested an upgrade to their system. Today was the board meeting where he'd present his ideas. Nervous didn't even cover it, although he tried to hide it.

*

She could sense that he was uptight in a way she wouldn't have expected even three weeks ago. Between more frequent healing trances and some very intense dreams, there were days Kate wasn't sure who's pains were who's. It was almost a joke with the aspirin or herbal teas as to whether it mattered who took it since both would feel better once one of them had taken something. Zach chalked it up to them just being weird. Then Kate had a migraine and couldn't keep anything down. Eric took aspirin, curled up with her and about six hours later, she was up and fine. Normally it would take nearly twenty-four hours for her to get over a migraine. That had changed Zach's mind about things just a bit.

Kate took stock of what needed to be packed and called the kids to head out to the car. There were some mornings that it was an endless stream of forgotten items and delays. Today was one of those mornings. Mark couldn't keep it together. He must have forgotten everything twice. Even Jamie was in a dither. Kate was just glad that today was the last day of school as well as the program.

After dropping the kids off, Kate went to work. The shelter was jammed as the holiday season approached. It happened every year, and this one was no exception.

"Hello Suzanne!" Kate said as she breezed through the door.

"Good morning to you! What kind of a count do we have on the shelter this week?"

"I have no idea. Let me get the stats up and I'll bring them in to you in a few minutes."

"Ok. Oh. Let Eric know that I'm taking his computer idea seriously. I don't know if I'll have the budget for it before Spring, but I do like the ideas he gave me."

"I will. He's presenting almost the same plan to the hospital board this morning. Oh was he nervous." Kate turned her computer on.

"I bet. That bunch is so tight with a penny!"

"They certainly are! I'm just glad that Eric has a job out there and that they might listen to what he has to say."

"You never know. One of them might actually have a brain." Suzanne smiled as she headed back to her office.

Kate smiled too as she started pulling up information in her database. Fifteen minutes later, she kicked the data to the printer and headed out of the office to see who was making a racket in the hall.

A small family stood in the front entrance. The teen age girl was making the noise. She was whining about being at the shelter.

"But Mom, can't we go to Aunt Carol's?" she whined.

"No. They don't want us. We will just be here a few nights and then we will move one. Just shut up." The mom sounded harried.

Kate moved forward and introduced herself. Suzanne looked like she was ready to duct tape the teen to a chair just to make her shut up.

"Hello, I'm Kate. What can we do to help you?" She started into her chat she'd used a hundred times before. She deftly steered them into a small alcove and got things rolling. The family followed and the teen actually started to quiet down.

*

Kate was just getting back to her office when she noticed the time. It was 5:45pm. Eric was going to be here any second. Gathering her stuff, she started to lock down her computer and turn off the lights when she bumped into Eric.

"Whoa! Where'd you come from?"

"The parking lot." He grabbed some of the stuff in her hands so that she could get her coat on. He leaned forward and sniffed her neck. "You smell good." He sniffed again.

Kate pulled back a bit. "We don't have time for this dear. And I don't know why I'd smell good. I didn't even put perfume on this morning. Not even sure if I got deodorant."

"Well, you smell really good to me."His voice going just a bit husky this time.

"Eric, I don't know what's come over you, but we don't have time for this. We have the children's program to go to." Kate headed out the door.

They almost were to the back door when Eric's head turned. He stopped, sniffed and then looked back to Kate.

"We need to get moving now." There was an urgency in his voice that wasn't there a few moments before.

"What now? You were ready to have me in the office five minutes ago, and now you're pushing me out the door. I don't understand."

"I'll explain outside. Let's get going." They were out the door in record time.

*

In the car, Kate turned to Eric who was sitting in the passenger seat with the window rolled down.

"Isn't it a bit cold for that?" She gesturing towards the open window.

"Yes, but I'm trying to clear my nose and my brain."

"Would you please explain what the heck is going on?"

"There was a shifter there at the shelter. A young one, in heat. That's what was making me so... so amorous. It's why I just about took you in your office. The whole shelter is flooded with pheromones. Who did you check in today?"

"Ummm, five or six people. One family." She thought for a moment. "Oh... the whining teen."

"About sixteen? Athletic build?"

"Yes. And she was complaining right and left about not being able to go to some relative. The mom was really uncomfortable. I had the feeling that they wouldn't stay as long as they said. In fact, I'll be surprised if they are there in the morning."

Eric shook his head. "No, they'll be there in the morning. I'd guess the mom is a shifter and probably trying to keep the girl under control. Some relative either tried to take the girl, or knew what was going on and kicked them out before there was trouble."

"Take?"

"Kate, some people are not as ethical as I am. And when something smells that good, most men don't think with the brain on their shoulders."

"Oh, oh gods!" She gave Eric a look that showed that she'd taken the whole situation in. "That poor woman. That poor girl."

"Not poor girl. She's probably the reason they are on the road in the first place. Unless you have a good family support unit, or one hell of a mom, most girls end up with a reputation if you know what I mean."

"Eric! That isn't very charitable."

"No. Just the truth. Hell, If I'd stayed in there a bit longer, I'd have been up those stairs in about ten seconds. She was in the room to the left of the one we were in when we first got here."

Kate just blinked. He was right about the location of the family. "Well, what do we do? Just leave them alone? Fumigate the shelter? Offer them some alternative aid?"

"Just let them be. If mom is a shifter, she's doing the best she can, and knows by now that another male was in the building. If she wants to talk, she'll find us."

"Do I have to worry about you heading out the back door tonight?" She was only half joking.

Eric looked at her, reached over and stroked her face. "No Kate. I've got more control than that. However, I'd love to romp with you tonight."

"Even if I shower?"

"Yes. Haven't I told you before how good you smell to me? Especially fresh out of the shower?"

Kate smiled back and concentrated on driving out to the school.

*

The gym was packed with parents, grandparents and people who just wanted to see the program. The weather was cold, but fair. This brought people out that wouldn't brave bad weather. Kate and Eric had given up their seats to an elderly couple. Standing against the wall, they watched Mark and Jamie. Eric was scanning the crowds. His odd motions caught Kate's attention. After the drive in and the discussion in the car, Kate was wondering what he was looking for.

"Eric,...." she started to whisper.

Eric moved his lips close to her ear. "I'm just checking out the crowd. Thought I smelled something. Something familiar."

"Familiar?"

"Yes. Shifter. Wolf."

"Oh." She was trying hard not to sniff the air herself. Not that she'd smell much. Her nose wasn't as sensitive as Eric's. Especially not with all the perfume in the gym.

Eric moved quietly along the wall, trying to get a better vantage point. Or, at least upwind of the old ladies bathed in lavender water and Channel. He held very still and then moved back down to where Kate stood. He leaned over her shoulder to whisper in her ear.

"It's only the boys."

"What?" Kate was perplexed.

"Zach and Anne just came in with Andy."

"But you said it was a shifter."

"Yes, and I told you what I thought about Zach. I just don't have any proof yet. However, he smells of wolf, and shifter. Just as you do."

"Oh you!" She dug her elbow at him. "I sleep with you. Of course I'm going to smell of shifter."

"No, you smell of you. Just like Zach has his own scent. And you both smell good. Now watch our little wolf in goose feathers. It's her turn.

Kate wanted to argue with him about the shifter business, but he was right. Jamie was just coming up to her part where she and the other geese did their thing. For the next thirty minutes, they stood watching the children.

*

"Wasn't it just wonderful Mama Kate?" Jamie asked for the twentieth time. They were in the cafeteria of the school, where everyone gathered for refreshments.

"Yes. You did a wonderful job Jamie. So did Mark."Kate was honest. Mark had done a good job. Betty and Sylvia had done their utmost with that child and found a place for him in the production that worked and he was happy doing. A minor miracle that Kate was happy to see. She had wondered if Mark would ever fit in anywhere.

"I'm gonna go get some more cake!" Jamie said as Zach and Anne approached Eric and Kate. She sped off almost as if her goose wings were real.

"Hey Mom. How are you? We looked for you, but couldn't see you," Zach said.

"It was crowded in there. Eric found you. Said he smelled you before he could see you." Kate teased her son. The look on Zach's face made her stop in mid thought. "Zach, what's wrong?"

"I... um could swear I could smell where you two were, but couldn't see you," Zach said.

Eric leaned over Kate's shoulder. "I told you so." Then he smiled at Zach. "Moms, what will you do with them?" he said in a joking tone. It took the edge off of Zach's face, and the conversation returned to the program and the bouncing geese also known as Jamie and Bess.

*

The barbecue had been a big success. The boys had wanted something different for Yule. Kate suggested pizza. Pat and Jon suggested a barbecue. That suggestion won the vote. They even fired up the grill outside in spite of freezing temperatures and crusts of snow in the shadows left over from the storm the week before. Anne made cookies and Kate made a mayonnaise cake. Everyone had enjoyed the food, and were all laying about like slugs. Presents had been passed around and there had been lots of giggles about the two foot rawhide chew Eric got from the boys.

Eric and Kate had just tucked Jamie and Mark into bed and were coming upstairs. Zach and Anne met them in the kitchen.

"Mom, do you mind if we crash on the futon in the living room?"

"No dear. Why?"

"We both drank way too much, and don't think that driving across town would be such a good idea."

"You know you're always welcome. Do you want any blankets?"

"Yes, and a couple of pillows will be fine."

Kate nodded and headed down the hall to find the blankets and pillows. "Here you go. Sleep well."

"Night Mom!"

"Night Zach, Night Anne," Eric and Kate said almost at the same time. Kate gave them each a kiss goodnight.

Eric was opening the bedroom curtains by the time Kate got to the room.

"What are you doing?"

"There's a full moon tonight, and I thought it would be wonderful to sleep in the moonlight."

"Oh. Aren't you going to want to go hunting or running?"

Eric looked like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. "I, um... figured I'd go hunting later. I want to play with you before we sleep." He had a sexy silly smile on his face. Sex with Kate was wonderful, and there were times he couldn't express it enough. Thankfully, she was just as enthusiastic.

Kate smiled. "I think we can do that." She pulled the covers back on the bed. "Sex by moonlight sounds good.

*

Kate and Eric laid in bed, trying to catch their breath and figure out what had really happened all at the same time.

"I could have sworn you were growling with pleasure."

"My throat would agree with you," she said in a hoarse whisper. She rolled over to find the water bottle and get a drink. "Something in your pace changed as well. Not that I minded, but you were a tad more vigorous than normal."

"We both were. I don't want to make you nervous or anything, but it almost felt like it does when I shift. Like both the wolf and human side were there at once."

"I could go for that analogy. We still need to look at my neck. I don't mind that you bit me, but how? Your torso isn't that long, nor my back that flexible, and yet your teeth were on my neck and we were still engaged."

"I... I don't know. I never shifted having sex with my ex-wife. Never had this happen this intensely. Let me turn on the light and look at your neck."He got up out of bed. Kate turned over and moved her hair off to one side. Eric came back to look and put his fingers on each side of the marks on her neck. "Kate, can you feel where my fingers are?"

"Yes."

"Well, that's how far apart the teethmarks are. I... I shifted. I had to of to make those marks."

"Well, am I going to have to wear a scarf to cover them up?"

"Maybe. We'll see how much they show in the morning. I'm sorry."

"It's okay It was definitely passion of the moment." She sat, remembering the intensity of the sex. "I have a question for you though."

"Ask"

"I don't mean to be funny, but as I don't know. Is a bite or biting going to be a problem? Will I start to turn furry?"

Eric rolled his eyes. "No, but I understand why you asked. It is a subject we've not really talked about. Lycanthropy as we know it is genetic. There are those that shift clear to fur and fangs. There are those that shift only on the astral plain. Like your shaman friend Nick. There are those that just 'dream' along with real animals. However, no one I know of has ever become a lycanthrope via a bite."

"Ok, just one of those questions that sort of popped up."

"Alright sweetie." He kissed her bite mark. "I think I'll get a cuddle with you before I go 'ahunting'.

"Oh yes." She snuggled close. It felt so good to bury her nose in his shoulder blades and go to sleep.

*

Eric slowly extracted himself from Kate's arms. He put his pillow next to her so that his smell was still there. He had noticed on other nights when he left that she slept better if he did that. Quietly, he left the room. Gretchen wanted to follow, but he distracted her with a doggy treat.

At the back door, he left his sleep pants and teeshirt in a corner spot. Eric looked around to make sure he was alone, and then shifted. By now, he had his favorite trails out of the town. Tonight he followed the one through the culvert. He knew that there was a high density of rabbits out that way, and he had promised someone breakfast.

A few hours later, Eric had a fine catch of rabbits and headed back into town. He'd shifted long enough to net the rabbits together with some of the long grass and carried them in his teeth. The trip back was uneventful and when he got home, all was still quiet. Shifting back, he snuck in and dealt with the rabbits quickly. The guts went into the dogs bowls and the fur and bones into the garbage outside. The meat went into a zip lock and then into the fridge. Looking around to check that everything was clean, Eric grabbed a quick shower.

After the shower, Eric got ready to climb back into bed. Standing there, he had a thought. He closed the door and then shifted back into wolf form. Jumping up on the bed, he curled up next to Kate. He went to sleep breathing in her scent.

*

Kate woke early the next morning. The sun was coming in the windows, because Eric had left them open for the moonlight. She was about to roll over and thump him for not closing them when he came home when she made a discovery she hadn't expected. There in the bed next to her was a very large wolf. He was sleeping soundly, head on the pillow and had obviously been curled up behind her. He was beautiful. Dark gray muzzle and fur with highlights around the eyes, paws and belly. Very slowly, she touched the fur of his paws. It was softer than she had expected. Not sure what else to expect, she moved her hand back and sitting on the edge of the bed softly called his name. "Eric. Eric, time to wake up," she said a little louder. Still no response. She was reluctant to startle him, so she tried again.

"Eric, its time for breakfast. Time to get up." This time, the wolf opened it's eyes, and Kate found herself staring into huge yellow eyes. She worked on staying calm, trying to think of the wolf as just another dog. "Hello Eric, how are you this morning?"

This time, the wolf stretched and rolled in the bed, much like Gretchen or Luna would when they wanted you to scratch their bellies. Kate thought for a moment and then reached over to scratch the wolf's ribs. The wolf responded with the same foot jerking response which made Kate break into giggles.

"Oh Eric, you are so funny!" She stopped scratching and waited.

The wolf rolled back over and reached out towards her. He licked her hand and then sighed. Kate wasn't sure what he wanted with the look he was giving her. Canine faces are not the easiest to read. He rolled on his back again, so Kate scratched his belly some more. This had the wolf rolling on the bed to the point where he lost his balance and literally went straight off the bed.

"Oh! Eric, are you okay?" Kate moved over to the side he had fallen off. There on the floor was a stunned looking wolf. He sat up and licked Kate's face.

"Paugh! Rabbit breath!" The smell of stale blood met her nose. The wolf put his head on his paws. It was almost as if he was trying to apologize.

"Well, if you are going to cook breakfast, you'd better get changed." Sitting back down on the bed, she wasn't sure if she wanted to watch or not. However, as Eric was part of her life, she figured she aught to get to know all the bits.

Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers