Shrink Wrapped

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To be replaced by what? Uniformly ugly and gray boxlike structures that hurt the brain to look at? Block after block, mile after mile of windowless monstrosities that no living organism would ever, could ever call home? Kellie knew instinctually that every scrap of metal that left the demo zone ended up in a mill somewhere that churned out building blocks for the replacement cities. It wasn't destruction the machines were engaged in, but acquisition of raw materials. For every building mindlessly put up, another had to fall. The machines cared nothing about beauty or gracefulness or architecture or efficacy. A ton of metal demolished was a ton of metal available for construction of new buildings. Efficiency gone mad. Kellie prayed this was not the unintentional doing of the creatures themselves. No race capable of such grace and beauty could imagine, much less develop, this advancing architectural nightmare.

She had to leave. She had to be away from this destruction before rage overwhelmed her and she started a wholesale destruction of her own. She had no doubt that between her stamping feet and Shrinx's energy field, they could wreck havoc for miles around. But to what purpose and at what cost? As powerful as Shrinx had proven itself to be, there was no bottomless well of energy here. Eventually--probably with horrifying swiftness--she would mindlessly expend everything Shrinx could produce, leaving her where? Unable to navigate in molecular space, unable to safely land on the next world? She had no desire to shrink away to nothingness in a complete vacuum.

Shrinx cleared its throat. Kellie?

Kellie blurted "What?" The voice was her own, spoken silently into her mind.

The machines are not autonomic. They are directed by local controllers which in turn are linked to intermediate centers located in a north-south configuration to direct the demolition and rebuilding. As the front advances, the centers are relocated west. I've triangulated radio transmissions between the local centers and a master controller for this hemisphere. It, in turn communicates with a global controller, almost directly opposite us on the far side of the planet. If you hope to stop this destruction, I advise we locate the global controller immediately.

Kellie blurted out: "Professor? Did you hear that?"

"Hear what, Kellie?"

"Oh, my God," she moaned. "Shrinx is talking to me." She described quickly what her inner voice had said. "Should I listen to him?"

Grove considered only a moment. "It's capabilities are far beyond anything I'd ever considered, much less counted on. If Shrinx says it can triangulate radio transmissions, I'd put my faith in it."

Kellie mewed despondently, "Take on whatever's directing this madness on a global scale? Are you mad?"

Grove laughed doggedly. "You are the only one who can, Kellie. Shrinx can't do it alone. He's-and you may want to reconsider calling Shrinx a he at this juncture---he's about the only weapon capable of putting a stop to this madness."

Kellie scrunched up her face. "This is just bullshit!"

"Regardless, Kellie."

"How long will it take me to get there? Us, I mean?"

Approximately half an hour, Shrinx answered.

"Half an hour? To go around a planet? How fast do you intend to go?" She remembered being whisked along by the globe creatures on the first planet, and how uncomfortable an experience that was.

The thrumming in her bones strengthened. You will feel no discomfort. You can close your eyes if that helps, Shrinx advised as it lifted her clear of the surface and aimed her in a shallow arc eastward. Kellie whooped in surprise and jammed her eyes shut, clenched her fists and held her breath as Shrinx accelerated to a velocity that left the surface below a blur of gray-green-brown. This time she experienced no whiplash of wind and expected that Shrinx had somehow reinforced her shield to withstand the onslaught. This gave her some encouragement. If the shield could withstand multiple thousand miles an hour wind force, maybe it could protect her against more nefarious threats.

What did the professor mean about you being a he? Kellie asked.

Shrinx's answered wryly: Do I sound like a guy?

Kellie admitted she didn't. Are you me?

Who else would I be? Shrinx answered.

Kellie felt their speed continue to climb and knew when they had crossed the terminator into darkness. She risked a quick peek and immediately closed her eyes again. Then she forced them open, looking for any sign of life, any indication that civilization existed this side of the demo-line. Reflected light from the armored moon lit the surface below with the only illumination Kellie saw. She could make out the blurry shapes of cities flying past, but no lights twinkled within them as could be expected in an inhabited city. She wondered if electricity even existed on this side of the world, or light bulbs or plumbing or food storage. She doubted it seriously.

So how does this work? she asked. Did you like, ingest me or something?

Shrinx laughed at the question. I keep forgetting you're an ignorant child.

Kellie stiffened defensively. What does that mean?

Only that you're inexperienced and still rather immature, Shrinx assured her. You have no reason to feel defensive.

"That's easy for you to say," Kellie grumbled verbally. "You're not the person everyone keeps calling a child." I take it we're sorta joined at the hip?

Sorta, Shrinx answered, still sounding amused. We've fused at the atomic level. Actually, at the quantum level, as I was originally a quantum-based creation. In our early stages I existed separately, infusing slowly out of your bloodstream into your tissues. Then binding to your molecules, until finally interacting with your very atoms. Grove was correct that I reabsorbed the water from your bladder, though not for the cause imagined: I couldn't allow you to pee until I'd been fully absorbed and was no longer in danger of being flushed from your body. Since that is no longer a danger, I've allowed your kidneys to function properly again. Not that you were ever in danger. The nanos repaired the slight resulting damage I caused.

Kellie acknowledged the return of her kidney function. You might want to rethink that until we're finished with our business here, she suggested.

Shrinx laughed wryly in her head. Kellie's slight discomfort disappeared.

You controlled my thirst and hunger too?

For the same purpose, Shrinx admitted. Though for a different reason.

Kellie thought she knew what the reason was and decided it needn't be stated. Besides, something ahead had caught her attention. What's that? she asked.

That, Shrinx responded tightly, is our destination.

On the horizon but approaching swiftly was a diffuse lighted area that Kellie would have missed except for the otherwise complete darkness below. The armored moon had fallen behind the arc of the western horizon ten minutes ago. She felt both her velocity and altitude diminish, as Shrinx prepared her approach. (Kellie was not yet accustomed to called her a her yet.) "Holy cow," she muttered as the extent of the controller's "compound" revealed itself.

The illumination surrounding the huge complex emanated not from light sources-why would it, she admitted thoughtfully-but from the complex itself. Or more rightly, from an eerily glowing field protecting the complex. The familiar ghostly aura sent a thrill of dread down her spine.

"Is that what I think it is?"

Shrinx grunted and set her down a mile from the barrier.

"How big am I?"

Just less than a mile tall, and I advise no more verbal communication. We have no idea of its capabilities.

We have one idea, Kellie countered. Can we get through that thing?

Behind the softly glowing field was a total confusion of buildings: towers, miles of piping that gave the complex a startlingly industrial look, and what Kellie knew instinctively was a power generation station the size of small city back home. In the middle of the complex, and protruding to the underside of the field was a tower 50 stories tall, sprouting every conceivable type and size of antennae that Kellie, or the builders, could imagine. With the exception of a few near the very top, every antennae was mounted and faced westward, from due south to due north, or within a few degrees of each pole, Kellie decided. She didn't have to be told why no antennae faced eastward. A shiver ran down her spine as she eyed the three very large antennae pointed straight up, into the sky. She didn't need an explanation for those three, either.

What should we do? she asked.

For once, Shrinx was without an answer. If that energy field is indeed quantum based, then it could fry us in nanoseconds. It wouldn't even leave a trace of us. The power source is that complex you saw off to the right.

Then we can't do anything? Kellie asked in frustration.

We could die, Shrinx corrected.

To her surprise and consternation, a Kellie-sized oblong in the shield directly ahead faded to transparency, just as Shrinx had create an entry for the Moth-People's shuttle. Its gradual appearance made Kellie back up a step.

Take it easy. They could have obliterated us in the first few seconds. From hundreds of miles away. They're either curious, or want to talk.

"Let them talk to themselves," Kellie muttered under her breath. It occurred to her that she hadn't heard from Grove since discovering Shrinx could talk. Before she could voice this concern, Shrinx replied: I cut him off.

Excuse me?

In case you hadn't noticed, he's the reason we're here in the first place.

Kellie experienced a surge of panic. But he's been with me the entire way! I would have gone crazy without him! You can't just erase him!

I didn't erase him. I just blocked the transmitter. I have to listen to his intolerable bleating myself. Consider yourself fortunate.

Kellie was outraged. She mentally stamped her foot. You had no right to do that without my permission!

Shrinx snorted. What's that syndrome called? When the victim falls for her kidnapper?

Oh, shut up, Kellie retorted. Unblock the transmitter, please. Maybe he has an idea.

Shrinx snorted again.

He created you, didn't he?

Now she laughed. But Grove's frantic voice appeared in Kellie's headphones a moment later.

"Professor! Professor, I'm here."

Grove demanded: "What's going on? Why haven't I heard from you in half an hour. My God, I was frantic, Kellie!"

Another snort sounded loud in Kellie's mind. Ignoring it, she said: "Shrinx said it had something to do with the flight. She had to fortify the barrier or something." Shrinx laughed derisively. "Anyway, I'm back now, and we have a problem." She hurriedly described the situation while Shrinx fumed silently in her head.

"It has a quantum field? My God, that's amazing," Grove said, sounding almost wistful. This did nothing to improve Shrinx's mood.

"It's invited us in. Should we accept?"

"As Shrinx pointed out, it could have blown you out of the sky."

Kellie hesitated uncertainly. She noted that her apparent shadow on the wall had reduced noticeably in height. "Do we really know that?" Do we? she asked Shrinx.

I don't get what you mean. Look at it.

That's exactly my point. Why didn't it blow us out of the sky? It must know we're a threat. We appeared from the west with our own quantum field, like a guided missile. Now we're standing outside the field, still a threat, still relatively powerful. And it opens a portal for us?

"Kellie...?"

"Shrinx worries that whatever's inside can monitor what I say. Maybe hear you through the earphones, too. She advises we don't speak." Can you relay Grove to me mentally? So the Controller can't hear?

Yes, Shrinx admitted. But they could still read our radio transmissions and that would be just as bad.

Kellie thought about it and decided they had no choice. I don't suppose you can scramble it, or something?

Sure, if you don't want him to understand a word you say. Encryption has to work at both ends. We'll have to broadcast in the clear.

Kellie sighed. Let's do it then. Professor?

I'm here.

How can Shrinx do what it does? Besides shrink me continually?

Grove was silent a moment. You mean, control the field, propel you and use the field as a weapon?

Exactly.

Grove pondered a moment longer. It does that, I think, through you. The capabilities exist, but it seems to need a medium through which to operate. It gained those capabilities only gradually. You'll remember that it had no defensive capabilities with the globular beings. Those came only once it had commingled with your molecular structure. It can talk to you now, which means it communicates dendritically with your brain cells. I get what you're theorizing, but don't forget the enemy knows how to neutralize part of the shield, as you do. That indicates advanced capabilities.

Kellie responded immediately. Everything we've seen so far could be mimicry. Remember, I was in orbit when I encountered the Moth-People. Shrinx energized the shield and also opened a doorway for them to enter through. We know the Controller can do both those things. It may know how because it observed us. She eyed the three upturned antennae. We haven't done anything else other than fly. What use would that be to the controller?

She could sense Grove considering. So you think...? He didn't finish the thought.

Shrinx was skeptical. You're betting our lives on that idea?

Kellie didn't want to think the idea, just in case. Do you think you could? Right through that open doorway?

Shrinx considered. That's a long ways off. Miles. It would leave us dangerously under strength, even if it worked. You're willing to take that chance?

Kellie knew that she was. Before she could answer, Shrinx took control of her legs and walked Kellie in through the portal. It immediately closed behind her and an alarmed Kellie let herself be moved forward across a wide swath of undeveloped ground bordering the field. The closest buildings were a mile away and growing quickly with each tenth of a mile stride. She was just tall enough to see the power-generation complex. She wouldn't be for long.

I hope you know what you're doing!

I hope so too.

Why did you bring us inside?

You had no reason to know this before, but inside my field, I have no offensive abilities. What could I do? Aim a bolt of energy at your chest to fry the alien's shuttle? Everything is directed outward. I'm counting on that inside here as well.

Kellie was not reassured. There was a hell of a lot of open space inside the shield at which to direct a bolt of energy. The Controller could zap her right now with impunity. But if Shrinx didn't know how to, maybe the Controller didn't know either. She continued on toward the maze of buildings, each step the thrumming in her bones grew stronger, though no telltale glow appeared in her field.

Is it wise to power up now?

You want me to stop?

Hell, no! Kellie thought. Professor Grove, are you there?

Yes, Kellie, but I don't condone this course of action.

Too late now.

Be exceedingly careful. You are still in great danger.

Like we didn't know that, Shrinx muttered.

Kellie guessed her best bet was the antennae tower in the heart of the compound. Reason suggested that's where she would find the controller. She hoped this wasn't defective reasoning. Shrinx had her doubts.

Radio stations back home are almost never located near their transmitters, she said.

Grove disagreed. That has to do with monetary and broadcast logistics; you can't build a studio in an isolated location. Here, that's not a consideration.

I hope you're right, Shrinx grumbled. Whatever happens, I'm blasting that damned tower.

Kellie's long strides soon had her within the complex of buildings. She kept her bearings via the tower, visible above even the tallest surrounding buildings. She guessed her height as now below half a mile, and wished she'd landed sooner. She surprised Shrinx with her next question: Is there something I can call you besides Shrinx?

Like what...Marvin?

Kellie giggled mentally. You are me now. How about I call you Marie?

Marie was her middle name.

I have no problem with that. Shrinx is distinctly unladylike, anyway.

Kellie could sense Grove rolling his eyes.

So where are you?

A lot closer than I was before. About halfway to the tower. I can still cover a lot of territory with each stride, although I'm gonna be less than half my current height when I get there. She winced as the obvious struck her. Shrinx--I mean, Marie! Pick me up!

Marie did not respond as expected.

Is something wrong?

Levitating expends energy we can't afford. You'll have to walk. I didn't want to burden you with it before, but that flight around the planet drained half our reserves. It takes a while to build them back up. That's what I'm doing now.

Terrific, Kellie thought wryly. Anything else I should know about?

Don't be a bitch, Marie retorted. It's not my fault.

They both reacted sourly to Grove's mental laughter. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

Shut the hell up, Marie growled. Want me to cut him off, again?

Tempting, Kellie thought wistfully. But we might need him.

Within ten minutes, Kelly reached the center of the compound and halted, considering. The innermost buildings ringed the huge tower, forming a perimeter a mile in diameter. Kellie was now quarter of a mile tall and barely taller than any of the surrounding buildings. What any of them were, Kellie couldn't guess. They were no more identifiable in function than any other building she had seen.

You're sure we can zap that thing if need be? It's pretty big.

I'm sure. I'm more interested in that building at the base of the tower though.

Kellie had noticed it also: low, but big and blocky and connected to the base of the tower by six huge conduits. The controller complex, Kellie thought. She unconsciously looked upward at the shimmering green quantum field. It was distinctly brighter, and presumably more powerful in the area surrounding the top of the tower. Again, she felt like a target.

Why did this thing let us inside? Why is it inviting us to lunch?

Maybe we are lunch, Marie cautioned.

That thought gave Kellie butterflies. She stretched her neck, and then advanced slowly toward the low building. Would you know, sense if the thing was about to zap us?

I'll let you know when it happens, Marie quipped dryly.

She approached the building on a diagonal, aiming for the closest corner, not really expecting this to protect her if fired upon, but doing so from instinct. There were no weapons on the building that she could discern, though were any really required with the glowing field over her head?

There were also no doors in evidence.

How do we get in?

Marie considered it glumly. I can think of only one way. Check the other side first.

Kellie did as instructed and found no more sign of entrance on the far side of the building than she had on the first.

Maybe we've made the wrong presumption, Grove offered. Maybe the controller isn't inside. Maybe this is the controller, the building itself. We're dealing with machines, remember? What need does it have of an enclosure?

Surprised, Kellie eyed the structure with a new eye. That would explain no doors. But how would it be serviced if something inside failed? Some component?

It's probably self-servicing, probably the most serviced machine on the planet. Look what it has to control. In one respect of the other, every other machine on the globe reports here. Astounding, Grove sighed, once again drawing Marie's ire.

Too bad you're not down here dealing with this thing yourself, she said acidly.

Too bad indeed. Maybe if things go wrong, I will be.

1...89101112...14