Silent Love

Story Info
Deaf and alone, Lisa finds the love she always wanted.
17.6k words
4.85
98.4k
318
24
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rwsteward
rwsteward
956 Followers

As I looked down at my best friend, big Bob, it was hard to believe the condition he was in. Just three days prior, this huge man was tossing logging chains around as though they were toys. A truck driver by trade, Bob was only thirty-five and could out work, out drink, and out fight men fifteen years younger than him. Just three days and now he is lying here in the ICU room clinging to life. Big Bob was brought down by the smallest of things, the H1N1 flu virus. His once massive chest no longer moved, even his lungs shut down, a machine was oxygenating his blood for him. Ol' big Bob was clinging to life itself—just barely clinging to life itself.

I touched his massive hand and smiled the best I could. "Bob, let those bugs know who's the boss and kick their ass," I said as I watched him lay motionless on the bed.

I turned and left the ICU; my time was up. Sarah, Bob's wife, was waiting her turn to go sit by her husband. Bob's two younger daughters, Diane and Karen, were there as well. Bob's oldest daughter, Wendy, was still away at college and had not yet made it back to Boston to be with her dad.

As I closed the curtain behind me, Sarah asked, "Jim, do you think he looks better? Maybe just a bit better today?"

I didn't have the heart to tell her no, so I smiled a weak smile and said, "Perhaps just a smidgen Sarah. Yeah, today perhaps a smidgen."

I lied.

But the lie worked, as Sarah seemed to brighten up just a bit.

I said my goodbyes and told the trio I would be back tomorrow. I'd stopped by on my way home like I have been for the past three days.

"Karen, you got my email and cell phone numbers right?

Karen nodded her head and I left the room. Sarah wasn't up to speed with technology, but I knew her youngest daughter was.

Now I don't know whether it was from all the stress I've been under these few days, or maybe I was seeing things differently. However I looked at it, for the last two nights, I remembered seeing the same woman wandering around in the hospital lobby. She seemed somewhat out there, almost in a daze, just walking around aimlessly. She looked out of place, like Glen Beck at an Obama rally.

Today, I passed her at the hospital cafeteria; she just stood near the doorway and was watching the food being served. I walked by her and then stopped. She just stood there watching, watching hospital cafeteria food being served. I moved out of the way so others had room to pass by. She just stood there, looking at the trays of food. Hospital food.

She had this rumpled look about her. Her hair was light brown leaning towards sandy blond, about shoulder length, and it fell across her eyes like a gray mop. A dark brown knit-stocking hat was pulled down to her ears. Her face looked dirty and her eyes were dark. A ratty-looking worn-out shirt covered her body. A pair of well-worn sneakers were on her feet; she wore no socks. She appeared to stand about five-foot three or so. Faded blue jeans with holes covered her legs. She looked disheveled, tired and hungry.

I turned back around and started walking to the parking garage ready to make my way home. Halfway through the lobby, I stopped. I couldn't explain why, but something didn't seem right. It didn't feel right. I turned and retraced my steps back to the cafeteria, and there she was, still watching the cafeteria staff hand out plates of food to waiting customers.

I walked up to her.

"Say, you can't be that hungry to want hospital cafeteria food now do you?"

I got no response. Nothing, nada, zilch, not even a get the hell away from me response.

I tried again, "Nothing like a tuna and bacon melt to pique one's interest in Martha Stewart cooking is there?"

Nothing.

Now, I've never been a prize to most women, I'm not that hard on the eyes, but after the second try most would either kick at me or throw something. This girl did neither. It seemed that a line was drawn in the sand; I wouldn't surrender yet.

I reached out and touched her shoulder. She jumped back, startled, then she turned from me. "Hello…Are you okay?" No response again. I was getting pissed off.

I reached out to her again and just as I was ready to touch her shoulder she turned to me. I could see that there was a sheet of paper stuck in her shirt pocket. Then I noticed it was from the hospital emergency room as the hospital logo was clearly visible from the outside.

Before I could react, she reached out and in a wink of an eye pulled a pen out of my shirt pocket. She looked around and retrieved a newspaper from the trashcan. She lifted her knee up using it to steady the paper while she wrote along the margin. She tore off a sliver and handed it to me along with my pen. Her writing was jerky and hard to read, but I could make it out. She seemed to be on something. I thought, "God, a druggie in a hospital."

She had written, "My name is Lisa. I'm deaf. I can't speak. If you talk clearly, I can read your lips. I have no money and I'm very hungry. If you would buy me something to eat, I will give you whatever you desire of me."

I always thought I was a good judge of people. I looked back at this young woman, and I could see in her eyes she was desperate, hungry, alone, and scared, but she was no hooker. A hooker wouldn't be turning Johns in a hospital trading sex for a tuna fish sandwich. This was an act of desperation.

Studying her face, I said, "Lisa. My name is Jim. Do you understand?"

She nodded her head up and down.

"I will get you some food, all you can eat, and you don't need to give me sex in return. Is that a deal?"

Lisa smiled and nodded her head again. I extended my hand to her and she placed her's inside mine. I led her to the front of the cafeteria line, and we both grabbed a tray. As we slowly worked our way through the cafeteria, she loaded up her tray as though it was her last meal. As I found out later, it was her first meal.

She went through the food she had on her tray like a famished dog. Barely looking up as she ate, I tapped on the table to get her attention and when she glanced up, I indicated to her I would like to see what was in her pocket. She looked over and pulled the sheet of paper out, handed it to me, and returned to her food.

As I read over the document, it seemed that she come in about the same time as big Bob, and was treated for some type of infection. It also appeared that someone from family services was supposed to make contact with her. That contact never materialized. She had roamed the hospital for three days, stranded with no money and no food. She was deaf, mute and all alone in her own silent world. The more I read, the clearer things became. Well now, that's not quite true. Nothing was really any clearer, but there were fewer holes in this mystery.

It seemed that my silent friend was Lisa McHenry. She was twenty-nine years old, the same age as I. It appeared that Boston's finest found her wandering around the business district the other night. She had no ID on her, no wallet, no purse, and no money. They considered her a homeless person and brought her down here. That's the end of the story.

Looking back at Lisa, she seemed tired. For the present, she was no longer hungry. I noticed her fingers, were well manicured and polished. Her eyes were bright, not like the eyes of a druggie or addict. Clearly there was a story behind this lady. It seemed the more I looked at her, the more I was drawn into the drama set before me.

While Lisa was eating, I noticed the sleeves of her shirt were rolled up her arms, I could see no needle marks or tracks. Lisa wasn't on heroin or coke.

I touched her hand, she looked up, "Lisa do you have a place to stay tonight?"

She shook her head side-to-side, I knew what that meant.

"Lisa do you have any family? Any friends you can stay with?"

Lisa looked down at her empty cafeteria tray and shook her head.

"Damn!" I muttered under my breath. I thought, "Run Jim. Get your ass up from the table and go. She's not your problem."

I just couldn't do that.

I reached over and lifted her chin up. I spoke very slowly and as clearly as I felt I could. I swallowed hard, hell I didn't know what I was getting into and said to her, "Lisa I have an extra room at my house. You are welcome to stay with me tonight. You can get a shower, and I might have some clothes you can wear. You and I can get things worked out in the morning. I won't hurt you…scouts honor!"

Lisa took the cafeteria bill and turned it over as she reached out her hand for my pen. With pen in hand, she wrote, "I'm afraid…You'll hurt me…"

"I will never hurt you Lisa, you have my word on it as a gentleman and a scholar."

She smiled again and when I stood to leave, she followed my lead. I extended my hand to her and she grabbed hold of it. She had a weak grip, a very weak grip. I led the way with her following behind.

When we approached the dimly lighted parking garage, she got a bit anxious, and rightly so, I hate those damn things as well. I smiled and squeezed her hand to reassure her she was not in trouble, still safe, and we walked to my car. It surprised her when I opened her door; I guess she wasn't used to being treated with kindness.

It's hard to have a conversation with someone you don't really know, but try to make conversation with a stranger that can't hear what you're saying is really hard. Lucky for the both of us, I lived only a few miles from the hospital and we pulled into the driveway within ten minutes. When we entered my house, Lisa seemed to relax, although she was still a bit skittish. I smiled back at her, trying to make her feel at ease. I hoped she felt she wasn't going to be raped. I asked her to take a seat by the kitchen table.

Now you talk about an 'aha' moment. God! What an idiot! What was I thinking? Sarah and Wendy. When Wendy was a kid, she had some bug that left her deaf. Sarah is well versed in American Sign Language. Why didn't I think of that when Lisa and I were at the hospital?

I got on the phone with Sarah. Sarah was a short bleach bottle blonde, and she was tougher than a box of rusty nails. She could drop a transmission out of your F-150 on a Saturday afternoon and look smoke'n hot wearing a mini dress later that evening. She had a taste for Crown Royal with a warm Diet Coke chaser. She could drink with the best and could out swear George Patton. Big Bob once told me she went into a bar one night and twenty minutes later seven sailors ran out.

Even with such a hard exterior, inside she had a heart the size of Colorado. I called and explained what had transpired since I left the ICU room.

"Great Sarah, we'll be here," and I hung up the phone.

Sarah and Bob live just four miles down the road from me; it seemed that within a minute or two there was a knock on the door. Sure enough, there stood Sarah.

"Come on in Sarah. Let me explain what's happening here."

As I filled Sarah in on the events leading to her impromptu visit, she walked over to Lisa and began to sign to her. I could see on Lisa's face that Sarah had opened the floodgates and the two began to communicate with earnest.

"Jim, get over here," Sarah belted out, "She wants to talk to you."

"She says thank you for the food and the offer to stay here tonight. She says she has no way of paying you back."

As Lisa signed with Sarah, the picture of how and why she ended up at the hospital became clearer. It seemed that her one time boyfriend had hit her, and she left his apartment. That's when the police picked her up and took her to the hospital. Unable to communicate with her, they deemed her mentally challenged and she got lost in the system after she saw the emergency room doctors. They apparently treated her for an infection on her thigh.

"Sarah, ask her whether she would like to get that shower I had promised."

Sarah shot back, "Speak to her, not to me. She can read lips like Wendy can. I'll interpret what she says, she's a person damn it. Talk to her as you do anyone else. She's deaf, not stupid!"

I turned and faced Lisa, "Lisa, would you like to take a shower?"

Lisa smiled and nodded her head acknowledging my question.

"Great! I'll let Sarah show you where the bathroom is and I'll grab some sheets and make up the spare bed."

I was just pulling some blankets down from a shelve when I heard Sarah cry out, "Jim, get your ass in here right now!"

Thinking that maybe Lisa fell, I ran to the bathroom, and when I opened the door, there stood Lisa with her bare back to me wearing only a pair of old white cotton panties. Sarah, however, was absolutely beet red. I swear I could hear her heart beating from ten feet away. I've seen Sarah really mad only once before. She threw an air impact gun at big Bob and while she missed him, she managed to impale the impact gun in the garage wall. Sarah was pissed off smoking mad.

"Jim… Look at her back!"

I looked at my house guest and was appalled at the sight before me. All along Lisa's back were large red welts that continued down her thighs to the back of her legs.

"Jim, that's not all, look!" Sarah signed something to Lisa, and she turned around to face me. Lisa hid herself with her arms from my eyes and then as though she felt safe, she dropped her hands from her breasts.

"Jim! Do you see! Just look what that son-of-a-bitch did to her!"

I looked down at Lisa's chest trying hard not to stare, but I saw exactly what Sarah did, there were cigarette burns all along her chest. I counted over ten burn marks on her body. One burn mark was on her right breast. Another one had become infected and was located almost at her waistline.

Sarah began talking away with Lisa; the fingers and hands of both women were flying. I stood clueless as to what was unfolding in front of me.

Sarah stopped signing and walked over to the sink, took out a washcloth from the drawer and then she drew out some hot water, wringing out the cloth several times. Now I've known Sarah for, well since forever, and I've never seen her as gentle as she was then. She took the cloth and placed it on Lisa's cheek, then ran the cloth around her eyes. She gave it to Lisa and looked back at me, "That's not dirt, that's a bruise. Lisa's got two black eyes! That son-of-a-bitch!"

Now it's a good thing that Lisa was deaf, for Sarah let out a torrent of curse words that damn near blistered the enamel off the shower wall. When she finally calmed down, just a bit calmer, she said, "If I ever find out who done this to this beautiful young woman, I'll cut his cock off and stuff it down his God damn throat!" Like I said, she was a bit calmer.

Lisa got herself in the shower and turned the water on, Sarah took me to the side and we began to talk. Mist from the shower filled the bathroom.

Sarah looked over to me, "Jim, this woman needs stuff. Lots of stuff. You up for it at this time of night?"

"Sure, I'm game what do you need? I'll run, you stay here and get her out of the shower and ready for bed."

"Well first things first, I need a large garbage bag. I'm going to toss all her clothes and shoes, they're nasty. Now, you're going to need a piece of paper to write this all down; I don't want you to forget anything. Are you ready?" Sarah asked.

Lucky for me, I had a tablet on the end table in the living room and made a mad dash for it and returned in a second. "Shoot!"

"Okay, first off you need to get her several bras, better yet, make that six. Let me see, her old bra says 34A. Get that size. Get something feminine but not trashy, I know how you men are! A little bit of lace is fine, but don't go over board. Got it?"

"Yes, feminine, not trashy. 34A. Got it. Shoot me more!"

Sarah continued, "She'll need some panties. Same thing. Get her something a bit lacey, but no thongs or other bullshit like that. No fire engine red or shit like that either. Beige, white maybe some pastels in yellow or green.

"Lisa has a fine pair of legs, I bet she shows them off. I know I would. Get her several pairs of pantyhose. Get her some off black and maybe some darker tan colors such as coffee. That way she won't need to worry about those bruises on her legs. With me so far?"


"I'm up to speed, what's next?"

"Well we can't have her running around without nothing on, so she'll need some jeans. It's hard to tell what size her old ones are, but it looks like a size five. I'd start there. Pick up four pairs in different shades of blue. Oh, and get at least one pair of black dress slacks.

"She'll need several shirts. Get some bright colors to match those brilliant blue eyes of her's. See whether they have long sleeved shirts, so those damn bruises won't show.

"She'll need some shoes, the tag inside her old ones looks like about size eight and a half. Just get her two pairs of sneakers for right now. Keep your receipt just in case they don't fit! Don't forget a few packages of socks, too!

"Oh shit. She has two prescriptions for antibiotics. Get those filled and get some bandages, too.

"One last item, pick up some cosmetics, just get a name brand and something in neutral shades. She can get something to her liking later, but for now, I know after what she had been through; I'd like to look nice. Where are you planning on getting all this at this time of night anyway?"

"Walmart!" I said," There's a super store about fifteen minutes from here."

Sarah walked with me to the door, and then grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "Jim, that's going to set you back a lot bucks, you covered?"

"No problem! I've been saving up for a rainy day and today looks as good as any other day."

Sarah reached down her shirt's neckline and pulled something out of her bra, then handed it to me. It was a warm hundred-dollar bill folded and curved to the shape of her breast.

Sarah smiled and said, "Here this should help a bit."

"Sarah this is not your problem," I protested, "You were saving this for something?"

"Jim, it's just my drinking money. Take the money, Jim."

Now some men might have argued, but some men don't know Sarah as I do; I stashed the bill in my shirt.

"Stay with her till I get back won't you?"

"I'll be right here Jim."

And with that I got in my car and headed to Walmart.

It took me about an hour and half of shopping to get all the items Sarah had requested, and a shopping cart later I pulled into my driveway.

Sarah greeted me at the door and started to help me unload the car. Sarah told me that Lisa crashed and was lying on the bed. They had dug around and found one of my white shirts and used that as a nightshirt for Lisa. We sorted out the packages and cut off tags, placing her clothes into an empty dresser I kept in the spare room. Lisa was so tired and worn out she never knew we were in the room with her.

My shirt wasn't quite long enough to cover her completely, and her bottom was exposed; showing me everything she had. Sarah caught me looking at Lisa's body out of the corner of her eye.

"She's quite attractive don't you think? Why would any man want to beat such a beautiful woman like that is beyond me. I hope he rots in hell."


Sarah pulled out one of the panties I had just purchased and handed them to me, "Here, you should cover her up; it will make her feel better in the morning."

"Sarah! I can't do that! She'll have kittens knowing I saw her like this."

"Oh for crying aloud, it's not as though this is the first time you've seen a woman's bare ass sticking out from under the sheets before. And I'd bet the farm it's not the first time Lisa let a man see her like this either."

"Well let me think this over…Sarah, thanks so much for coming over. I'd never been able to get through to her. Do you think you could come over and help get her dressed?"

rwsteward
rwsteward
956 Followers