Sisters Ch. 04: Acceptance

Story Info
First moves and second chances.
11.4k words
4.87
14.3k
21

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 09/30/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
nageren
nageren
1,070 Followers

Thank you to GaiusPetronius for editing this series.

* Donna and Steve had been talking for so long that the waitress kept coming by just to ask if they needed anything. The food was long gone, as were most of the other patrons of the restaurant. And yet the two of them continued to swap stories. That they had much in common made conversation easy. That they each seemed to never tire of the other's company made conversation enjoyable.

Donna liked the way Steve would ask for more details when she was telling a story. She never caught him looking around the room, though she was sure there were much prettier women about. Even the waitress, with her long, sleek, black hair and perfect-looking svelte figure didn't distract his attention from her. Maybe Hannah was partially right. Or maybe Steve was a perfectly gentlemanly gay guy. Either way, it wouldn't take long in this town for him to find a girl (or guy) who really suited him. Especially once he started doing shows. His interest in Donna was easily attributable to her being the only person he knew in town, but that would change soon.

When Steve finally called for the check, Donna assured him, "I'll get this."

"No," he objected, taking the small black folder from the waitress, "I'm old-fashioned that way."

"Old-fashioned?"

"A guy asks out a girl and he pays. That's my way."

"So, this is a date?" she asked with some hesitation.

"What else would it be?" he laughed.

"You don't have to do this, Steve. We want to sign you. I don't need to be..."

"Donna," he spoke her name firmly, cutting her off. "I wanted to take you out."

"Well, that's... sweet. Thank you," she said, still not sure how to respond. Her inner voice was warning her that a guy like him wouldn't be interested in a girl like her for very long. Not when he had better options available.

As they walked the two blocks back to Donna's place, she tried to talk about what he could expect on Monday. But Steve interrupted her. "Can that wait? I mean... I'd like you at least for right now to think of me as something other than a... a client, or whatever."

"Oh," she said, feeling embarrassed. "OK." Not knowing what else to talk about, Donna pointed out a few of the local places as they passed them. Steve listened with a smile, often watching her face as she spoke.

When they got to her apartment building, Steve said, "Like I told you, I wanted to take you out. And I'd really like to again. I don't know if that makes things weird, but... I'm more interested in you than in your agency, if that makes sense."

"Oh," Donna said, nodding. It made sense on one level, but she couldn't really comprehend it.

"So," he said, prompting her. When she didn't respond, he clarified, "Can I take you out again, sometime next week?"

"Oh! Yeah. Yes. That would be nice." Then she stepped towards him and rolled up onto her toes. Craning her neck up, she placed a friendly kiss on his cheek. Steve froze. Donna, on impulse, kissed his cheek again. At the same time, Steve pressed his lips to the side of her face, as well. Then, ignoring the warning bells in her head, she rose up one more time and touched her lips to his. They kissed softly for a few seconds, his hands on her elbows, their breaths rising in little clouds on either side of their faces.

Donna pulled back slowly, then lowered her feet to be flat on the ground. She stepped back, forced a nervous smile at Steve, waved goodbye, and walked swiftly into her apartment.

As she walked the flight of stairs to her apartment, she repeated over and over to herself, Don't get your hopes up. Don't get your hopes up. Don't get your hopes up.

*******

Hannah had grit. She had done many things in her life that required determination and strength. Just surviving her teenage years, until she was old enough to leave home took courage. Making her way across the country by herself took perseverance. Each partner she left behind, each casually discarded cell phone took a measure of resolve that few people possessed.

But by far, the hardest thing she had ever done was to show up on that chilly Saturday afternoon to see Wes.

Easier isn't better, she kept reminding herself.

Wes was waiting for her. He had reserved a table in the rooftop greenhouse of a downtown restaurant. Because it was mid-afternoon, they had plenty of privacy. Hannah appreciated the foresight that choice of time and venue showed on Wes's part. It's easier to trust someone who is looking out for you, someone who anticipates your needs.

They exchanged simple greetings and ordered their food. Hannah had decided that the only way this would work was if she said everything she could think to say while she still had the courage to say it. So while Wes was casually buttering a dinner roll, she took a deep breath and began.

"My father raped me almost every night for four years," she began. Wes's eyes went wide and his hands froze in place, butter still on the knife. For fifteen minutes, Hannah unloaded her story, speaking of things that she had never before acknowledged to anyone other than her sisters. Her mother's craven timidity, her father's savage cruelty, her escape, using her body to buy space between herself and her father, learning to stop feeling anything, learning to fake sentiment, Tim, Ernst, Kyle, Penny, Andrew, Donna. She told him how safe she felt with him, how she didn't feel deserving of such respite, how she wanted to pretend to be what he wanted, to want what he wanted, hoping it would become reality.

Their food came and Wes still listened. She described the great stone dam that had for years contained her fear and anger, and with them, her capacity to love and delight. She described a dry world, barren of of color and life, yet safe. She told him how each day with him chipped away at that stone wall, allowing cracks of affection to slip through. She described their last night, when, caught between dreaming and wakefulness, she mistook him for her father. The great dam, weakened by the trust and security she felt with him, was no longer sufficient to contain the reservoir of emotions. And in a great deluge, her long-repressed rage and fear overwhelmed the landscape.

"When I walked into that hospital room," she recounted, trembling as if she were living the moment over again, "my thought was that you looked as bad on the outside as I did on the inside. And I knew I had done that to you. And I didn't think it was safe for me or for you if I stuck around. I blamed the... the feelings I had for you. Everything had been fine when I shut down those emotions. But once you opened that door a little bit..."

"The good and the bad came out," Wes said softly.

"Exactly," she said, her voice even. "And so I sat there in the hospital, paralyzed with fear. And I did the only thing I knew how to do. I put the walls back up. And I knew if they were to stay up, I couldn't be with you. It wouldn't work... for either of us."

Wes chewed thoughtfully on a bite of food, nodding as he processed Hannah's tale. Then narrowing his eyes, he asked a question that was bothering him, though he now thought he knew the answer. "Hannah, how can you talk about this without even a hint of... of tears, or emotion or something?"

"I've been shutting off that valve for a long time, Wes. I'm pretty good at it."

"That's scary."

"Maybe."

Wes finished chewing a bite, then said, "I have no idea what to say, Hannah. I suspected a little bit of that, but, damn. I mean... damn."

Hannah looked at him and shrugged. "So that's it. You want everything; that's everything, more or less. You can probably understand why I held that back from you."

"Yes and no. But we don't need to have that discussion right now," he said.

Hannah's face began to harden. "And that look you're giving me right now," she said with a hint of anger, "that look is one thing I hate, one reason I don't want to talk about this."

"What look?"

"That look that says I'm some kind of damaged goods, some poor broken thing that needs to be handled delicately. That... that pity. I don't want that," she spat out, almost losing her unflinching demeanor.

Wes sighed. "I'm sorry. It's a little bit of pity, yes, but not what you think. I just can't imagine how you've carried this burden alone for so long. Nobody should have to do that."

"I've gotten kinda used to it," she said calmly. Then visibly softening, she added, "But I know I can't keep that up. And that's why I'm here. I need to be in the kind of situation we had -- a place to feel safe and treasured and... and maybe to heal a bit. That's why I'm doing all this stuff I've never done before. I'm a walk-away girl. And now I'm banging on your door in the rain trying to get back."

"I wish it was that easy, Hannah. But you really hurt me, and you broke my trust. And... and this is a lot to take in all at once. I need to really think hard about whether or not I'm ready to take on all this."

Hannah sniffed in derision and rolled her eyes. Her impulse was to brush it off and leave. She fought against that impulse and said tersely, "I understand."

As they got up to leave, Wes moved close, leaned in, and gently kissed her cheek. Hannah never used to like such soft expressions of affection, but in that moment she cherished it, pressing her cheek towards him and longing for him to move closer, to place his cheek on hers, to wrap even one arm around her back.

"Give me a week to think it over," Wes said. "No showing up at my house, no calls. Just give me a week. I'll call you either way," he said.

Hannah closed her eyes. Some days felt like an eternity lately. "A week," she agreed.

*******

"I'll say it again, Hannah, so you know I mean it," Donna said, pouring coffee into her sister's mug, then walking the pot back to her kitchen. "You're more than welcome to stay with me."

"I don't think it's come to that," Hannah said, looking around at the small apartment. "He'll say yes, I'm sure of it." It had been four days since Wes had asked for a week. Hannah was a little surprised that he hadn't called her yet -- Wes was really playing this out to the end.

"How do you know that?"

"Because he's a guy, Donna," she answered with the tone of someone explaining something obvious to a child who should know better. "He's alone right now, and I never said no to sex with him. He's trying to show me that he doesn't need me, that he has the upper hand, but I've got what he doesn't have and always wants, so..."

Donna paused from scooping sugar into her mug and looked questioningly up towards the ceiling. She shook her head a bit to get the bangs away from her face. "Don't you think you're oversimplifying it? Is he really that shallow? And if he is, do you really want someone that shallow? Someone who treats you like... like an object?"

Hannah gripped her mug a little tighter at that last question, remembering that the reason she abased herself and went back to Wes was precisely because he did not treat her like an object. But she still had no other categories for thinking of men and her relationships to them. It was a consumer culture, and her sexuality was her greatest commodity.

"How do you know you're not overcomplicating it?" she retorted. "Guys want sex. If you give them that, you have power."

"Is that what you want?" Donna asked. "Power?"

"Well, the sex is nice, too," Hannah replied, her smile appearing above the rim of her mug. "But seriously, yes, I think. Power to... to have them play by my rules, I guess. But, no." She put her mug down and sighed. "That's what's so confusing. I'm finding myself wanting to try the sincerity thing."

"The sincerity thing?" Donna asked.

"You know, being honest and real, not putting on an act. I had started doing that with Wes, or he kind of coaxed it out of me. Or maybe it wasn't even that much -- I think I was trying to act the way I thought I should. But then it started to make me feel just a bit different. I was scared, but I wanted more. But then he got in my head and I fucked it all up."

"He? You mean..."

"Nicholas. He messed me up good, Donna. And the only reason I'm trying so hard with this guy is just to prove that Nicholas can't get the best of me in the end." They sat silent for a moment, then Hannah added, "Like he did with Penny."

"And like you think he's doing to me?"

Hannah smiled gently, condescendingly, though Donna failed to notice it as anything other than kind. "He's got you in a different way. I bet you still haven't even made a move on what's-his-name."

"Steve... And I did. We've been on a few dates." Hannah's eyebrows went up in surprise. "And I kissed him."

"Oooh, you kissed him," Hannah teased. "How scandalous!"

"Shut up," Donna said with evident annoyance in her voice.

"Still don't think he's hot for you?" Hannah asked.

"I think he thinks he is, but he's new in town, and I'm the only person he knows so far..." Donna shrugged. "I just expect he's going to move on to someone else once he gets settled. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up."

"Baby, you need to just..."

"I'm not going to... to... to just have sex with him, if that's what you're going to suggest," she said angrily. Then softening her tone, she explained, "I don't want to get hurt, that's all."

Hannah rolled her eyes. "Yeah, 'cause it'll feel just fine when he moves on." Donna's eyes stared daggers across the table. "Don't be so weak, little sister. He wants you. You're in control here."

"No," whispered Donna after a moment's thought. "No, I'm not. Because if I give him that, sooner or later he moves on. I can't stop it. I can't keep them from going away. Not looking like this, I can't."

Hannah just shook her head and looked with pity at her sister. "So. Fucking. Blind." she said softly, to herself. "I hate him."

*******

The next night, Donna and Steve were leaving a local theater, laughing at how horrible the play had been.

"I'm so sorry," Steve apologized. "I had no idea."

"It's OK," Donna laughed, leaning on the arm he had offered as they walked. "I guess local theater is like local music -- sometimes it's great and sometimes..."

"Sometimes it's the guy in a cowboy hat who sings the same song every week on the open mic," Steve suggested.

"Yes! Just like that," Donna replied, forgetting for a few minutes to be self-conscious around her date.

"Listen," Steve said, taking a deep breath to calm down. "That went later than I thought. I had planned for us to go walking along the Cumberland tonight, but it's getting cold. Let me just drive you home, OK?"

Donna's chest tightened a bit. Was he expecting to come up? Wasn't there a certain expectation for third dates?

"I can get a cab," she said, not quite as nonchalantly as she had planned. "It's fine."

"What?" he gasped. "I can't let you do that. My truck's right over there. Come on." He pulled her gently at the elbow and Donna recoiled.

"No, really. I'm fine," she insisted nervously. Steve stood a few feet away, slightly stunned.

"Donna... I'm sorry... I don't know what..." He searched for the right way to finish his sentence, but nothing came.

Donna sighed and hid her face with glove-covered hands. "No, I'm sorry," she forced through the barrier. Then putting her hands down limply at her sides, she smiled weakly and said, "A ride would be nice, thanks."

Steve waited for an explanation, but when none came, he turned towards the parking lot and started walking slowly. He didn't reach out for her arm or hand, and Donna was equally relieved and disappointed. As they rode through the quiet streets, Steve made some comments about the acting, and Donna made polite conversation in turn. But inwardly, she was telling herself, He's just a friend, just a nice guy. He's just being friendly. It's nothing more than a fun evening with a friend. He's not going to try anything.

As they pulled onto her street, Steve looked at Donna's leg, which had been bouncing up and down nervously throughout the ride.

"I'm sorry," he said, fiddling with the truck's control panel. "Are you cold?"

Seeing what he was looking at, Donna stopped her leg bounce and said, "No... I, uh... I'm worried I might have left my coffee pot on. I really want to get upstairs and make sure everything's OK."

When the truck stopped, Donna hopped out and stood next to the door. "Thanks for the ride, Steve. And, uh, for a fun evening."

Just as she was beginning to shut the door, Steve hollered, "Wait!" Donna paused and felt herself bracing. "I had a really good time. Are you doing anything Sunday afternoon? Can we take that walk then?"

"Yeah, yeah. Sure," Donna hurriedly assured him. Then closing the door and waving, she ran into her building and up to her apartment.

He's just lonely and looking for a friend. She told herself, fumbling for her keys. Nothing more. He's not going to hurt you because he doesn't think of you that way. Finding the right one, she put it in the lock. But why did you have to kiss him? What the hell were you thinking?

Tossing her coat, gloves, and scarf on a chair, she went to the fridge in search of something sweet. After a minute, she was sitting down at the table with a small cup of pudding.

"Just you, then?" a voice asked from behind her.

Donna startled, squeaked in surprise, and spun around. "Hannah!"

"I wondered if what's-his-name was coming in for a nightcap," she said, as if it was perfectly normal to be appearing in her sister's apartment. "I was going to stay back in the room and put on some headphones or something."

"What are you doing here?" Donna sputtered.

"You said I could stay here. And you leave your spare keys on a hook by the door, which is practically an invitation for someone to grab them on the way out."

"You are so weird," Donna answered, putting her elbows on the table and burying her face in her hands.

"So... not-so-hot date tonight?" Hannah fished.

"Shut up."

"I'm just saying, three dates now, right? Isn't that the longest a guy will wait these days?" Hannah's voice almost had a mocking tone as she pressed for details.

"Steve's not..." Donna paused.

"Don't say 'Steve's not like that,' or some other nonsense. He's got a dick, right?" Donna made a disgusted face. "He's got one, and he's like that," Hannah concluded.

"Then why don't you go fuck him and just leave me alone," Donna suggested in a tired voice that clearly didn't mean what it said.

"Because he wouldn't give me a second look, I bet," Hannah stated confidently. "He's hopelessly infatuated with you, and I can't compete with that."

Donna rolled her eyes, "Well, you're right that one of us wouldn't be able to compete, but it's not me. Besides," she continued, swallowing her last mouthful of pudding, "I was going to say Steve's not into me in that way."

"Bullshit," Hannah laughed. But before she could continue, Donna changed the subject.

"What brings you here anyway? Wes didn't give you the answer you expected?"

Hannah sat down at the table, grabbed the empty pudding cup from Donna's hands, and scraped her finger around the side. Licking her finger clean, she said casually, "No word yet. And I'm feeling..."

"Nervous?"

"Horny."

Donna's eyes widened and she put up her hands. "No, no, no. Don't look at me, sister."

Hannah sighed and slouched. "I didn't mean that," she said, spreading her arms out on the table and putting her head down. When she spoke again, her voice was muted by the table. "I don't trust myself to wait one more day for Wes. I've been waiting for weeks already. I keep thinking about him and he's driving me crazy."

nageren
nageren
1,070 Followers