Six Degrees Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Agents were waiting for the midnight shift change, when they'd be relieved of the mundane routines, when a young Agent exclaimed "Sir, we've got something!"

The Supervisor came over. "What is it?"

"Belfort had dinner with her group earlier, and we've got some cell phone chatter with burners we believe belong to her and Watch Captain Lockhart." the young Agent said.

"Okay, alert the next shift to be watching out for credit card or other financial transactions, see if there's anything we can trace." the Supervisor said. The young Agent made the notation.

The next group came in, and the alert news was passed off... but the urgency seemed to disappear...

There is a true story that on December 7th, 1941, the day that will live in infamy, a radar station picked up the Japanese aircraft on the way to Pearl Harbor. Their radio was out, so they sent word by telegraph, but not priority... it went 'routine'.

That telegram was delivered to the Pearl Harbor commander, Admiral Husband E. Kimmel, as he watched the Japanese destroy his base and kill his people. The U.S.S. Arizona had blown up, killing over 1000 Navy sailors. That number of casualties would more than double in the overall sneak attack.

A piece of shrapnel broke through a window, just missing Admiral Kimmel. It is alleged that he said it would've been more merciful if it had hit and killed him. And he was right: Admiral Husband E. Kimmel was court-martialed by the Navy for the attack on Pearl Harbor. A telegram treated as 'routine' had made a huge difference.

Likewise, the reports of the Belfort Gang activity lay dormant for hours. Even as Della Harlow was being promoted and Lt. Teresa Croyle presented with the Police Star of Gallantry, the report was being added to a routine batch of reports for the FBI Deputy Director and for dissemination to the City's FBI teams. It would not reach FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone for another 24 hours... and with devastating consequences...

Part 3 - Theoretical Discussion

Tuesday, February 2d. The MCD coffee klatch was well underway as we listened to the one and only Bettina!

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News! It was a day of celebration yesterday as Fire Engineer Roy Easley was awarded the County's highest decoration, the Medal of Valor!" As tape showed me putting the Medal around Roy's neck, Bettina said "In the tradition of past recipients giving the award, it was Police Officers Donald Troy and Cindy Ross that draped the Medal onto Fireman Easley, who is the first Fire Department Officer in three decades to receive it." The taped Bettina re-told the story of Easley's heroism in saving a child trapped in a fire.

Bettina then was back on live as she said "Yesterday also saw Della Harlow promoted to Deputy Chief of the Town & County Police. Commander Harlow is the first woman promoted to Command level within the Police Force, and is the second woman in the Public Safety Department to be so honored, after Fire Marshal Zoe Singer."

Bettina laid the media groundwork: "This brings up a quandary for the Town & County Council, as Robert Brownlee was in the Deputy Chief position before having a massive heart attack. The Council believes they are on firm legal ground in stating that Commander Brownlee will be reassigned to an equivalent position within County Government, but the Police Union has filed a complaint. That is a lesser action than a full grievance, and it may hold little sway. Robert Brownlee and that position are covered by the Police Captain's Union, which issued a statement saying it will raise no objection to the moves."

"In her first act as Deputy Chief, Commander Harlow will be conducting a full internal audit of the Police Department accounting and financial expenditures. Chief Sean Moynahan, also recently hired into that position, has instructed the entire Police Force to be prepared to cooperate with the audit and that he looks forward to the results."

Bettina went on, a bit more quickly than I would've liked: "Also, Lieutenant Teresa Croyle was awarded the Police Star of Gallantry for her actions in the harrowing rescue of former ADA Jenna Stiles. Ms. Stiles is now running for District Attorney against incumbent Gil Krasney, her former boss. Early polls had them within the margin of error, but now D.A. Krasney is beginning to open a lead of six to eight points. And now, let's go to Sports..."

"What job could the Council possibly give Brownlee that he would want and that he could do?" asked Vice Detective Christopher Purvis. I might add here that most of the Vice Detectives that came in early enough were raiding MCD coffee pots and watching the news with the rest of us. This was fine, provided they contributed cans of coffee to the collection that was made every so often... and the Police Commander had already made sure they were aware of those obligations.

"There's actually quite a few." I said. "I think the Fire Department and Sheriff's Department are out, but there are some equivalent positions in Public Health, as well as the County Education Department. The Council also believes they can put him in a lesser position, provided they continue paying him at least the same amount of money. But my bet is that he'll be offered a State position... like Administrator of the State Crime Lab when it becomes operational."

There was a groan at that. "How many cases will get thrown out because he flubs something?" asked Theo Washington as he sat down with his coffee.

"It's not a done deal." I said. "I just suggest the possibility."

"The problem with that, Commander," said Cindy Ross as she came in and went for her coffee mug, "is that whenever you 'suggest' something... it generally comes to pass."

"Like it says in the Bible, 'And it came to pass'..." I replied, "'not to stay, but to pass."

"I like that, Commander." said Joanne Cummings. "I heard Pastor Westboro say that once."

"I have a question for you guys." said Teddy Parker. "I was watching a PBS special this weekend, and they talked about six degrees of separation. Anyone know more about this?"

"I think they made a movie about that." said Joanne Cummings. "And there's the Hollywood legend of any actor or actress connecting to Kevin Bacon in six steps or less."

"Here's what the Internet says." said Lt. Tanya Perlman with her mischievous, cherubic grin on her face. "And you know that if it's on the Internet, it has to be true."

She then read from her screen: "Six degrees of separation is the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps."

"For Commander Troy, every crime can be traced back to the Consultant of Crime in six steps or less." said Cindy.

"True." I replied. "But please... I don't want to think of him while I am enjoying this delicious cup of coffee. By the way, the 'six degrees' theory is a basis for some real science, too. Do you guys know what the 'hub and node' or 'hub and spoke' theory is?" Most of them had not heard this.

I said "Our brains are wired with cells, where each is a hub, and spokes go out to connect to the others. If you look at a map, you'll see how cities are hubs and the roads interconnect them. And the Internet is the same way: there are hubs, and they're interconnected with paths. Like Fibonacci Numbers, this type of organization appears to be fundamental in Nature."

"What, is this a Police Force or an Advanced Mathematics class?" asked Deputy Chief Della Harlow as she came in. She received congratulations on her promotion.

"This is the Police Force." I said. "The Math class is downstairs, or wherever Myron, Mary, and David are." Everyone laughed.

"Did someone call for the Mouseketeers?" asked Mary, also coming in. To my surprise, David and Myron were also coming in behind her.

"M-O-U-S-E." sang Cindy Ross. More laughter.

"You guys have so much fun." said Cmdr. Harlow. "I'd love for our guys to be like this.

"And this is a slow day, ma'am." said Tanya. "But I'm sure it'll get better for y'all, now that Brownlee is out of the way." Time for me to change the subject.

"So," I said, changing the subject, "you are welcome to be here, Mouseketeers, but I'm curious as to why you're here."

"I asked them to come up." said Della. "We're about to have a meeting with the Chief. You and Captain Ross are 'invited', as well."

"And that's 'invited' in the Japanese sense, that it is not a request?" I asked. Della confirmed my suspicion.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The meeting of the Department of Psychology professors was being held. Most things for the Spring semester were set; this meeting would discuss the Summer semester, sabbaticals, and such stuff. The Head of the Department, Dr. Laura Fredricson, kept the meeting on the agenda with near-ruthless efficiency... which she'd learned from observing Mrs. Myrtle James leading the Hot Wives Investment Club.

"I do have one announcement." said Dr. Karpathian. "My grant came through to study mob behavior, with a particular study of the recent hostilities between the local Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services groups. In most places, these groups work well and efficiently together, but not here, and the Federal Government is going to pay me to find out why."

The meeting concluded when the breakfast pastries and coffee ran out. Afterwards, Laura went to Bonnie's office.

"So you think that was a mob mentality situation?" Laura asked as they sat down.

"I think it became a mob mentality situation." Bonnie replied. "And the culmination of it was the rape of that young EMT. As you know, I've been studying the Crown Chemicals and PCGW case, to see what caused that to erupt, and that's under this new grant, also.

"That's very good." Laura said. "What have you learned, so far?"

"Only that it was different that most confrontations of that kind." said Bonnie. "Usually the defending business relies upon Government law enforcement to defend them. Crown Chemicals did not. They were heavily armed and were shooting to kill. I've lined up an interview with your husband to get a Police perspective on that."

"I think you'll find his attitude is not typical of many Police." Laura said. "But go ahead."

"Well, Dr. Fredricson," Bonnie said, "not much in this County is typical. It has a Police Department that is unafraid to solve crimes. I don't know of any other law enforcement entity that would've gone after the CEO of BigPharmaCorp like the TCPD did."

"I'll pass that along to my husband as a compliment." said Laura. "By the way, how is the research on the Black Widow going?"

"It's getting there," said Bonnie, "but it's been tough. Angela Harlan left some raw emotions and exposed nerves out there. People do not like talking about her. People in Texas that knew her can hardly believe she went bad, while people up here..." She did not need to finish the sentence.

"Yes," Laura said, "and tomorrow is February 3d... the anniversary of the day Pete Feeley was murdered. It is going to be a moody day at home..."

"Don going to kick the dogs?" Bonnie said, meaning it as a joke.

"Oh, noooo." said Laura, a shocked on her face. "He would never do a thing to harm those dogs. Sometimes I think he loves them more than he loves me..."

Part 4 - The Mantle of Leadership

"Tanya sure is down." said Cindy as she and I sat alone in my office. "Think it's over Pete Feeley?"

"No, at least not that alone." I said. "Just between you, me, and the crowbars, I think Tanya always had an idea that Sidney Wellman would dump his wife for her. But that ain't 'happnin', and I think she came to realize it this past weekend."

"I would say something about dating married men," Cindy said, "but you are absolutely the last person to talk to about that."

"I think your parents feel the same way." I said. "But at least they weren't bad to me about it in person."

"No, they like you." Cindy said. "My mom and Molly did some talking. My mom really understands about Molly not re-marrying, and even about having two children by you. Mom didn't say this out loud, and neither did Molly, but I think Mom understand why Molly went for you; she thinks you're a hot guy.

"Hoo boy, that's all I need." I said. "A scandal with your mom."

Cindy smiled. "No kidding. And my dad, I think it offends his religious sensibilities, but he says you're a good man and doing the right thing by your sons, so he's looking the other way."

I peered at Cindy as I asked "So he's giving me a pass?"

"Yeah, I think when he saw the boys in front of the Christmas tree, he realized it was a good thing overall." Cindy said. I just nodded, having made my observations...

Just then, my assistant Helena buzzed me, saying I had a visitor. It was Fire Engineer Roy Easley. "Send him in." I said. To Cindy I said "Stay here, I think I know what he's here about."

Easley came in, wearing his Fire Department jacket, white shirt and tie. The red rectangle in its silver border was in its correct place next to the purple one with gold border (multiple Purple Orders) over his pocket. I had him sit down.

"Thank you, sir." he said. "First, I wanted to thank you both for helping at the ceremony."

"I wouldn't have missed it. And it'll be your turn to do it next." I said. "Of course, you'll understand when I say I hope there is never a 'next'."

"Yes sir." Easley said. "What I wanted to ask you was... " He stopped. I finished for him.

"Let me guess." I said. "You're thinking you don't deserve the M.O.V., and you want to know how we handle wearing it." Easley was stunned.

"Yes, yes sir. How'd you know?" he gasped.

"That's why he is the Iron Crowbar, Mr. Easley." Cindy said. "Not much gets past him."

I smiled. "I know because I remember Captain Ross here coming in and asking just that... and before that I was in Chief Griswold's office, asking the same thing. I think it's part of the ritual."

"Yes sir." said Easley. "So what's the answer?"

"For me, I tell myself I'm wearing it on behalf of the courage of the entire Police Force, to honor them and their service." I said.

"I wear mine," Cindy said, "to inspire others when they see it. I've come to grips with what it means for me."

Easley said "I can understand that. So, Captain Ross, I understand you have some lung issues, as I do. Apparently not as bad as mine, though, as you're still on duty. I'm not sure what I'm going to do."

"What do you want to do?" I asked, rescuing Cindy from having to talk about that dark spot in her life, her lung injury.

"I've never been a desk person, or a real leader like you are, sir." Easley said. "I was very happy with my job, putting out fires, going into them when needed to help people. But they won't let me do that now."

"Why don't you think you're a leader, Easley?" I asked. "I watched you lead the way into that fire. They could not have gotten there ahead of you if they'd tried. And I know that this last case was your most heroic example, but by no means your first of courage under fire, literally, pun not intended."

"Thank you, sir." Easley said. "But I've just looked at that as doing my job, taking action. Not as leading others."

"I see." I said. "Well, you're in front of everyone now. Since you can't run into burning buildings, it's time to learn to teach others to do so, so that people keep being saved. I think you can command a truck or engine; by all means do that, and delegate what you can't personally do."

"Yes sir." said Easley. "I guess you've been ingrained to lead all your life, sir. As have you, ma'am. This is the first time I've been confronted with it."

After some more chatting, Easley left. I saw Cindy thinking.

"Penny for 'em." I said.

"Just thinking about what we just discussed, about leadership." Cindy said. "When you first got here, I was all but trying to stay in the shadows, just be a 'local cop on the beat', as you like to say. But nooooo, you came along and dragged me right along with you, not quite kicking and screaming, but close. At first, I was terrified. But now, leading others is as natural to me as breathing."

"Success breeds confidence, confidence breeds success." I said. "It's a great cycle on the positive side; a horrible one on the negative side. And experience brings both confidence and success." After a moment of thought, I said "I think Easley is going to find it tougher than you did. He's got a spotlight on him, and expectations thrust upon him that I'm not sure he wholly wanted."

Cindy agreed. Then she said "Same thing happened to you."

"Yeah, and again just between us..." I said, dropping my voice, "I always thought Chief Griswold pushed to get me the MOV to facilitate my rise in the ranks. From what I saw of Easley, and you, I've never thought my actions ever held a candle to either of you. It should've been a Police Cross at best, maybe a Police Medal."

"Well, since we're talking just between us, and this time as blood kin, here's the full story." Cindy said, boring in on me: "When I came up to the scene that night, there were three kidnapped little children running up to us, saying the 'big redheaded man' had saved them. Then we came upon you lying there on the ground, next to that burning warehouse, bleeding from your wound and with burns, and your nephew also there, whom we arrested. And then I heard Rudistan behind me, saying in his irreverent way: 'That's gotta be an M-O-V.'. Everyone there agreed with him, too. He was right, of course, and you deserve it as much as anyone."

"I won't argue." I said. "I only know that I'll have truly earned it if I can put that bastard Consultant at the defense table in a Courtroom..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:30am, February 2d. Captain Cindy Ross called Lt. Tanya Perlman into her office.

"Ma'am?" asked Tanya as she appeared in the doorway.

"Come in, have a seat." Cindy said. Once Tanya was settled on the loveseat sofa, Cindy got right into it. "I understand that you have been looking into Commander Troy's sister, and her smuggling operations, and that Martin Nash is doing the same thing. What's going on with that?"

"Uh..." Tanya said, "Elizabeth came up in a previous investigation, something to do with the BigPharmaCorp business."

"So why is Nash looking up all the old stuff on Commander Troy and his sister when she was arrested?" Cindy asked. "And digging into stuff going back into their youths?"

"He was trying to create a full workup of her." Tanya said. "What's the big deal? And why are you guys monitoring our computer research?"

"I'm asking the questions, here, Lieutenant." Captain Ross said acidly. "Now what is going on with all this? Especially the level of research being done on the Commander himself?"

Seeing the intensity in Cindy's eyes, Tanya knew this was trouble. For her. She said "Ma'am, it was routine follow-up of that case. Martin tends to go the extra mile on things like that, and I had no problem with it, especially if it's a threat to the Commander, or to any of us."

Nope, Cindy was not buying it, Tanya realized. And Cindy confirmed it when she said "Okay... now the real reason."

Tanya sucked in her breath, then said "I'm not trying to put this off on Martin, and I approved everything he did. He had this idea, maybe from the FBI or from his own head, that Commander Troy seemed to look the other way about this sister's involvement in the BigPharmaCorp case. There was even an idea floated that the Commander may have covered for his sister and any involvement that she had. Add to it that Martin still has a bee in his bonnet about Commander Troy having that warrant at the apartment where the fires were but not telling Martin, and he might've gone about it with a bit of zeal."