smokeSCREEN : book6.0

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I open up the back and step out into the fresh air. It doesn't take long to check the other cars, and I finally get what we can piece together of Floor Thirteen together in the van just short of the lead.

We picked that one, 'cause it's got smokes still. A half a carton of good strong Mal'bros up front, and they're more than willing to share.

We've got Anze, Cat, Lisa and I.

The driver struts up and motions for us to raise our legs before he slams the back doors shut. He hops in the front and says;

"Next stop, Winnipeg."

I miss Crow. And Michelle especially for some reason. But the four of us together again feels pretty good, and we're all smiling.

"What's next?" Lisa says. My brow creases, 'cause when she talks you can see the way her skull moves, she's lost so much weight.

"We wait for Cypress," I tell her.

"What if he doesn't come?" asks Cat.

"Don't start doubting him now," Lisa snaps, then sighs and leans back. "We're too close to the end."

"Lisa?" I say. "Can I ask what...?"

She wraps her skinny arms around her skinny frame and drops her head.

"Somethin' called kee-mo."

"What's kee-mo?"

"...I'm not sure. They said they had to do it, or I'd die."

"They were gonna' kill you?"

"No. They said I was already sick with somethin'."

We all pause and make sure the others in the van aren't listening.

"The disease?" Anze asks.

"No, it wasn't like – you couldn't pass it on, it wasn't like that. It was like, something inside of me fucked up, and the kee-mo was supposed to help."

"Jesus, it just about killed you."

She hold her armbones tighter to her ribs.

"That or the cancer," she sighs.

Somethin' always brings you down. No matter how high you get. This time, I don't wake up for a while. And I don't dream.

* * *

When I do wake up, I'm in my very own bed in Floor Thirteen. I don't need to get up to know that's Anze making breakfast, or Cat sweeping, so I take my time and wait in bed until I smell the breakfast burning.

I emerge from my room to find Justin cooking and Josh sweeping.

"Whatthefuck?"

I guess things change quick.

"I thought the plan was to go to the 'Ledge 'cause it's all stone."

Justin grins and flips a piece of fried potato into his mouth.

"When we got there, the power wasn't close to workin', blah blah blah, this is so hot!" He spits the potato chunk into the sink and wipes his mouth.

"About ten of the guys went off to find somethin' for themselves – the rest of us stayed here at the Tower."

"The Tower's all fucked up," I tell him.

"Well, a lot of the fourth floor is gone," Justin says.

"And a chunk of the second," adds Josh.

"That too – but the building is structurally sound and hey – by the grace of God the power still works."

That means the CD player works. I wander over to the living area.

"So why are you here with us?" I remind myself out loud.

"People are spread out everywhere – people're makin' friends. Everyone else seems real damn happeh – we're cool guys, c'mon."

Same Boy You've Always Known comes on the stereo, and they both take a flying leap back.

"What the fuck is that?" Josh hollers above it.

"Music – quiet, they're sleeping."

"So... breakfast?"

"...why not?"

I wonder what I am, now.

* * *

* * *