So Night Follows Day Pt. 09

Story Info
Ramirez phones a friend, Helen starts Troy on Whyte's trail.
4.2k words
4.82
5.1k
2
0

Part 9 of the 30 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/06/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But no one ever changed The Church by pulling down a steeple.
You'll never beat The System by bombing Number Ten. Systems just ain't made of bricks, they're mostly made of people.
You may send them into hiding, but they'll be back again."
-Crass, "Big A Little A"

Interpol had a Master Detective, known for being able to solve the most elaborate of crimes in mere minutes. Criminal organizations hated and feared him, there were prices on his head all over the world, and his services were in constant demand. He was frequently heralded in newspapers as "France's Own Sherlock Holmes." He was so brilliant and sexy, so detached and brooding, that women, men, and movie studio executives all over the world wanted him.

Generalissimo Hernando Ramirez called Interpol in the middle of the night; stating that there was an urgent matter of national security that only he could resolve, which could not be discussed over the telephone, and demanded that man come to San Finzione immediately! When he was told that The World's Greatest Detective was far too busy to come at this hour, Ramirez started shouting obscenities into the phone, demanding the name and badge number of the person he was talking to and that the Chief of Inspectors be gotten out of bed and put on the phone immediately.

When the supervisor came on the line, Ramirez demanded to know if the supervisor knew who exactly he was and whom he served, and he wanted his badge number and everyone he'd spoken to so that he could see to it that they would be fired if he didn't put that man on the case. The supervisor apologized profusely, stating that their Great Detective was on a case on the other side of the world, but that he knew someone just as good, right there in the Lyon HQ and working hard at his desk even now, that he could recommend. Ramirez calmed down and thanked the man before the supervisor foisted him off on Detective Inspector Luc Tomas Allaine.

Allaine's supervisor didn't care for him at all, nor did most of his co-workers. But because his success rate was even higher than the Master Detective's, and the supervisor's entire division rode the coattails of his conviction rate; reaping prestige, budget, and pay increases largely because of the uncredited work of D.I. Luc Allaine, the supervisor knew that he was stuck with him, making him dependent on that fucking asexual queer who solved more crimes from behind his desk than his entire department did by showing up at crime scenes in billowing black trenchcoats with high-tech C.S.I. gear.

Ramirez knew that if he'd asked for his old friend directly, they would have kept him on hold, sent him into voice mail loops, and "accidentally" dropped the call, until he really had been as mad as he'd been pretending before they put him through, so skipping right to that part was the best way to save time.

Luc was at his desk, as usual. He worked the night shift and had a corner office, opposite the corner of his supervisor's own. This, like all of the occasional rewards that Luc received for his work, followed the motif of "Keep that prick in his office; way the fuck over there, where I can pretend he doesn't exist." The supervisor had approved having a television, comfortable sleeping couch, microwave, and refrigerator in Luc's office; as well as his own private lavatory. Thus far, all of his requests to get Luc a private elevator or personal building entrance/exit directly to his office had been rejected as structurally unsound after they'd already knocked down a wall to make room for the lavatory. In addition to the office television, a second was housed in a home entertainment center, containing all manner of gaming consoles both new and retro, that had been put in after someone said that they overheard that he liked video games.

A story breaking in international news had just mentioned the city of Seattle, when his phone rang and he saw the incoming number. Luc began typing, then answered.

"Generalissimo Hernando Ramirez, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of San Finzione, goes through the trouble of calling me at work." Luc said into the phone. "Why do I feel compelled to begin searching news sites for 'San Finzione' before answering?"

He could hear the noise of hurried activity on Ramirez's end. People coming up to him with questions and reports as he tried to convey that he was on an important call.

"Luc," Ramirez said, clearly on speaker on his end, too. "It won't have hit world news yet... Si! I want full thermal flyover scans of the vineyard. Intelligence says this informant is more reliable than most. The gun cache is out there, get to it before they do."

The distraction ended, and Ramirez tried to return to the call.

"Check Seattle, my friend... No, we are explaining the military presence in the city to the touristas as the filming of a big Hollywood movie here in San Finzione. Contessa Maria is going through her great-grandmother's address book to find some movie stars who can be trusted to come here and go along with such a ploy. Si, the entries in Contessa Helena's private address book are quite detailed. And tell my secretary that I'm on an important call and not to be disturbed! By the time Ramirez had peace and quiet in his office, Luc had already brought up a site for local Seattle news, and was reading about the hit on the Triad limo.

"Sorry, Luc." Hernando said when he was able to return to his desk and take the phone off speaker. "I take it you've had time to see what I'm calling about."

"Oui, very interesting. Oh, an obvious frame job, of course." Luc lit a cigarette and chewed on the driver's last words. "... 'slavery and human trafficking...DO NOT happen in San Finzione..." He thought on the words. "This is a reprimand, not a threat. Perhaps one to be sent in blood, oui, but not like this; like an American Gangster film. Your Contessa has you and your men. If she wants to send a message to the Elders, why not send some of you to deliver it to their doorsteps in the night? Speaking of which, I got a flag last night, which said that Nigel Mander had entered the US via Portland, Oregon, on a San Finzione Cultural Attaché passport; I'd meant to call you and ask about that. Since everyone knows that 'Cultural Attaché' means 'assassin,' I am guessing that he is on the payroll and that Yorkshire has resurfaced."

"Si," Ramirez replied, lighting a cigarette of his own. "Yorkshire has a name now: Leonard Whyte, with a 'y' instead of an 'i' in Whyte."

"Hmm..." Luc hmmed. "The electronics mogul. Oui... I have a box on him. Nothing concrete, just the name popping up enough to warrant starting a box."

Luc frequently angered people other than his co-workers, mostly in a professional capacity. Because of this, he'd created a string of safe-deposit boxes, scattered across Europe, containing everything he had on the people or organizations most likely to kill him. Ramirez held the backup key to the box in San Finzione containing all of Luc's dirt on his supervisor and co-workers.

"Whyte hired Morgan." Ramirez mused. "He knew where to find him and about his condition. There's a connection, somewhere in the past."

"Oui. And for reasons that you are still unable to tell me over the phone, his handicap was an important factor in Whyte's decision. Give me a moment, Hernando."

Ramirez waited patiently and smoked while Luc typed some more. This was the kind of thing his old friend did, and the reason La Contessa requested that he contact Luc again after his assistance with the assassination investigation.

"You truly should come and meet La Contessa, Luc. I know you two would get along, and there are many other things about her that are better shown than explained."

"Sam has been asking for a vacation, and I need to update some of my boxes there. I would not even need to use my leave time; I am frequently encouraged to telecommute. Pamphlets about it are often left under my office door. Soon, perhaps. But oui, there was something I was keeping an eye on; a footnote from the Deep Web that stood out to me, so I made a note of it. Hearing Morgan's name again brings it to mind." Luc brought up the file. "Ah, here! A whisper that someone has been looking for disabled mercenaries. Unusual, because a mercenary who has lost a limb or one of his senses typically only finds work again by establishing a reputation for being exceptionally skilled enough to compensate. A general call, though, would pull the ones who got left in the dust out of retirement."

"Allow me to guess. Seeking deaf mercenaries. Like Morgan."

"Indeed. But Morgan was no random selection. There is another way such men find work again."

Ramirez nodded, knowing what the answer would be.

"Old times' sake." He replied.

"Oui. Though, with what we know of Whyte, I would not consider him sentimental. Morgan may have approached him for old times' sake, but then, Whyte exploited them. Now that we have his name, I should give those old cases a second look."

Luc thought a moment.

"Hernando. No one would put out a call like this unless the men he hired needed to be hard-of-hearing for a particular reason. There are, of course, rumors, legends, 'peasant gossip,' like olden times, perhaps; about your Contessa de San Finzione that no rational person would take seriously. And if someone had reason to believe them, then oui, hired guns unable to hear might be an asset. It would also explain many unanswered questions about the attempt on her life. About why the assassin was able to reach her, while everyone else froze. My questions about your actions during the event, which you never answered, and I respect you too much to ask again; would certainly be explained."

"Luc, I have heard the rumors of which you speak. And if there were any truth to them..."

Allaine didn't make his friend finish the statement.

"If it were true, it would, of course, be a Classified State Secret of San Finzione; however poorly kept. Something that, even if I were cleared to know, you would be unable to tell me over the telephone. I would need to follow your Contessa's advice from the adverts and 'come there' to be told."

"Si. And Violeta says you and Sam still need to come for dinner. El Niños miss their godparents, too."

"Just so." Luc took a long drag and finished his cigarette. "This, then, also explains why Whyte was so quiet between the attempt on her life and now. He had pawns to gather. I must look into this, and then, based on what you have not at all told me about La Contessa, I must rethink my entire notion of how our universe works. I should have something in an hour. Was there anything else?"

"Oh, si. La Contessa's old friend, the one skilled in matters of money; Whyte has made him a part of things now as well. We have his assistance."

"I see..." Luc said, lighting another cigarette. "An old friend of La Contessa's... a definite asset, important enough for Whyte to drag into the crossfire, loyal enough to stay in it with her, almost certainly trusted enough to know the truth of the rumors which you have most definitely said nothing about, and any conclusions I may have reached are entirely my own. More to think on."

"Take all the time you need, old friend. I have something to tell her now."

They ended the call.

* * *

Troy Equals was at his desk in his home library, something he'd had built while they expanded their two-car garage to four, to accommodate Susan's car and the Ferrari that Helen had given Julie on their Honeymoon. Four Vespa scooters were also parked in the garage, another gift from Helen.

Troy's desktop computer had been set up in the library that had been expanded to contain more than it's original content of references on the subjects of hypnosis and mind control, so it also functioned as Troy's home office. A concealed peephole on the wall behind him allowed him to see into Julie's home studio on the other side, and vice versa.

It had been Julie's idea, in case they were both working, and one of them needed some quick "stress-relief." She and Troy had both implanted post-hypnotic triggers in each other, so that if one of them heard the sound of the peephole opening or noticed it open on the wall, they would continue working; but act out a subconscious desire to put on a sexy show for whomever was looking through the hole while they worked. Then when they heard or saw it close, either stop the show or finish themselves if the show had gotten that hot, and resume working, happy with the knowledge that they'd helped their partner-in-everything get on with their own. Susan knew about the peepholes, too, and was, of course, permitted to use them herself. She asked that they give her a trigger to compel her to help whosever side of the wall she was on with either their show or their stress-relief.

Troy had gotten out some of the old ash trays of his parents' and Propappou's that they'd kept. Mostly souvenirs from Greece, or bearing old-timey advertisements for various beers that were either no longer made, or had changed logos many times over the decades; making some of them valuable. One was on his desk, so Helen could sit with him.

"This is a fight that we will eventually lose." He told Julie as he set them out around the house. "Do you really want to keep going out to the back porch every time Helen has something to say? We can open some windows and turn on some fans for now and Febreze the place when she goes back home. Besides, she'll love the chance to steal Propappou's ashtrays, anyway."

Troy's great-grandfather, Byroni Medina, had been known as Propappou to most people, because, as he often said, "Everybody call me Propappou, cause I Troy's Propappou." Helen had only been eight, and Propappou had been nearly 100 years old when they met, and he'd been the first adult to sense what she'd been going through at home. Their father-daughter bond formed immediately. For years, Propappou fought Wade Parker, Helen's drunken and abusive biological father, who was one-third his age; in the courts and sometimes in the street to get custody away from "this malaka crook, who should to be chained to a post down at the port, of to have the gulls shit on him and peck out his eyes, and of filthy sailors to do the pousti to him, and never be allowed near women and children again," according to court reports.

When Helen became Contessa, she renamed many of San Finzione's hospitals and emergency services after Byroni Medina. A statue that Helen had commissioned of him, from one of the photographs she'd kept, stood outside the hospitals. Smaller versions of it stood in front of shelters, Policia, and Pompieri Stazioni throughout the country. Since Contessa Helena de San Finzione had reigned, the children of San Finzione had been taught that if they are in danger, they should "Run to Propappou, he will keep you safe."

She was smoking and using one of Propappou's ash trays while sitting on one side of Troy, watching him at the computer. Julie sat on the other side of him. She occasionally looked over at Helena, and thought she saw the glimmer of having won a tiny victory over the forces of Smoker Oppression while she did so. As the one who'd gotten her started, Julie was unable to blame her.

"Whyte Telecom's mostly clean. From there, he branched out to Whyte Electronics, Whyte Computers..." Troy stopped and looked at his monitor and down at the PC tower, making sure neither were Whyte products. He'd put the tower together himself, but still felt compelled to look. "After that, came the Whyte line of smartphones."

"Guy sure likes to put his name on things, doesn't he?" Helen asked with a puff of smoke.

"Why yes," Julie replied. "He certainly does that a lot; doesn't he, Contessa Helena de San Finzione?" She smirked at Helen. "It almost makes me want to hop on an Air Finzione jet to San Finzione, where I can stay at a Società Finzione hotel, walk across San Finzione Plaza to get to the San Finzione Marketplace, then go to a Società Finzione casino and gamble the night away, bombed on San Finzione Vineyards Wine, getting gangbanged all the while by the entire extended La Familia de San Finzione."

Helen smiled back.

"Don't forget to visit Castle Finzione, where you can lick La Clitoride Regale de San Finzione."

Julie gave her First Girlfriend a playful punch. Helen did the same. They joined hands behind Troy and went back to watching him work. They'd finished resolving the earlier matter over a bag of Hershey's Kisses, a bag of Reese's Miniatures, and the top layer of a box of Ferrero Rocher. Everyone had agreed that Susan was a grown woman who would not have settled for anything less than contributing in a meaningful way and that Helen had sent her with excellent protection.

"I can get all kinds of public stuff from here..." Troy half-muttered. "Nothing that'll give me anything serious to work with. I'm not a hacker, I don't really have any more power to go snooping than a private eye or legal assistant might."

Helen took out her phone and began texting.

"I know your Skype number, Troy. What's your IP address?"

He gave her the number. She typed a couple more words and sent the text.

"You're going to get a Skype call within the next two minutes from Howard Caldwell-Pierce, my Minister of Intelligence. Turn this way, Troy."

Troy turned to face Helen and nodded.

"Allow me to pay you a kiss." She told him.

"Helen, you know you don't have to ask..."

"I do for this. Troilus Equals, would you permit Contessa Helena de San Finzione to pay you a kiss?"

Troy nodded and smiled.

"I would be as honored as I was the very first time."

Julie smiled and watched Helen lean forward and gave Troy a long, slow kiss. Since long before the night she and Troy had discovered how deep their love ran, Julie had enjoyed the sight of her best friend and their mutual first girlfriend making each other happy. She and Helen hadn't gone to any serious effort to keep their love a secret from Troy like they did from everyone else. At that point in his and Julie's relationship, however, he regarded Julie as his sister, and so her sex life was as much of a non-topic-of-contemplation for him as if she really had been. The night Julie confessed to him that she liked girls, too, Troy thought back to how many moments where it'd been right in front of his face, and he hadn't read anything more into it than "Ok, that's just how best-girl-friends work. Sometimes, Julie and Helen just kiss the same way Helen and I do. Just enjoy it."

The kiss lasted until the Skype call came through. Troy broke off to answer.

The screen filled with the image of a gray-haired old English gentleman, in a suit and tie with a Windsor knot. Troy realized it was probably 4 AM in San Finzione, and immediately got images of Bernard Lee's original M from the James Bond films: At his desk, in a suit, at any hour of the day or night.

"Ah, Mr. & Mrs. Equals." He said, before turning his face toward Helen's on the monitor. "Contessa." He turned back to the two of them. "Now, I trust that La Contessa has explained things to you, Mr. Equals?"

"No." Troy said. "But I'm used to that."

Helena edged over a little to be closer to the center before replying.

"I'll explain while you transfer us to Division. But yes, we're ready here, Howard."

"Excellent. Er, sorry to have to put you on hold, Contessa. Connecting you now."

His image froze, and it sounded liked he was making another call on his end.

"OK, Helen." Troy said, turning to her. "What was that about?"

Helen smiled at her first boyfriend.

"Well, Troilus, you're right; you're not a hacker. But you're still the best person to lead this up. Whatever dirty shit Whyte's involved with, it's probably going to be found deep within the details of something else. So, when we find something, you'll still be the best person to look it over. You've also had a Top Security clearance since the day I found out that I can just issue one myself, if I want. And since you have accepted my payment of a kiss, that now makes you a paid consultant for San Finzione's Ministry of Intelligence."

12