Soap Opera Ch. 04

Story Info
The drama continues; the Wedding of the Century.
10.8k words
4.83
8.5k
8

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Dedicated to Peter Falk, who portrayed the legendary Lieutenant Columbo.

Part 18 - Court Is In Session

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, May 11th, from in front of the Courthouse Complex on the east side of Courthouse Square. "Fox Two News has learned that Judge Rodney K. Watts of the Superior Court will make an emergency ruling on Police Captain Teresa Croyle's lawsuit against Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen!"

Bettina started: "Captain Croyle was subpoenaed to answer questions at the Independent State Counsel offices in Midtown... on May 19th. That is the day long set for her to be married to Todd Burke, CEO of BOW Enterprises, in what Society expert Elsie Gringer is calling 'the wedding of the century'. However, that is in jeopardy with the subpoena to testify on the same day."

Bettina continued: "Captain Croyle and her lawyer, Agnes T. Spires, filed for an emergency injunction, citing the lack of time to prepare to testify, and also the aforementioned wedding day. This is what Dr. Adam S. Keller of the City University Rodham Institute for Political Policy and Social Change had to say to our political reporter, Lester Holder. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Keller saying in his calm, even voice "Of course the Judge should dismiss the lawsuit with prejudice. Captain Croyle and Commander Troy believe they are above the law and can do whatever they please. The rest of us have to answer lawfully issued subpoenas, and Captain Croyle should be forced to appear and answer questions from the Independent State Counsel on the date he sets."

Back to Bettina live: "And the Courts will be even busier today, as Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom will hear the pre-trial motions of Thomas Cromwell, who is accused of murdering the director and assistant director of the 'Days of Promise' daytime television program. The British Government has formally asked that Cromwell be returned to England. The Town & County Police filed a brief opposing this, asking that Cromwell be bound over to stand trial for his alleged crimes. District Attorney Gil Krasney is personally handling the case for the County..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Commander Donald Troy, international man of mystery and intrigue." said Cindy Ross as we drank coffee in MCD. "All his recent cases are high-level politics... and now he's upgraded to the world stage." There were murmurs of agreement but no real laughter.

"God, I need to get Rudistan back in here." I said. Then I turned and looked right through Cindy as I said "At least he made us laugh." There were some 'oooohs' at that. Cindy looked a bit peeved at my peevishness.

"Captain Croyle's opponent in the Police Boxing Matches this weekend won't be laughing." Theo Washington most astutely said. "Sir, did Robert Mullen really subpoena Captain Croyle to answer questions on her wedding day?"

"Yes." I said. "And he's ginning up the Press to say that Captain Croyle is a criminal if she fights it in any way."

"That guy Mullen is a total asshole." said Teddy Parker.

"You have no idea." I replied. "Detective Washington, can I see you in my office, please?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we came into the office, I invited Theo to sit down. "I just wanted to tell you something, and ask you to pass it on to your brother Franklin. Normally Commanders are not supposed to apologize for their actions, but in this case I owe you and him a big one. I should not have asked you to call him to help with the case yesterday, and I should not have insisted he come up here. I appreciate him doing it, but it may have put his job in jeopardy, and using your family relationship with him to make that call was dead wrong on my part. I apologize to you, and please tell him I apologize to him."

"Thank you, sir." said Theo. "I appreciate you saying that, and I know he will, too."

"So, how are things over there, just between you and me?" I asked.

Theo shook his head. "Bad, sir." he said. "Morale is pretty low. If Krasney wins, you may see some people leaving. I'll just say no more on that, sir." I nodded in understanding...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Be seated." said Superior Judge Rodney K. Watts after being announced to a packed Courtroom at 9:00am. "Okay, Counselor, you have about five minutes to give the most impressive argument of your lifetime to convince me not to issue a stay."

Robert Mullen's State Attorney for this hearing was Glenn Alberts, the inept lawyer that had lost the Jan Camp case for the University. He said "We shouldn't have to make arguments that the law is the law, and Captain Croyle is required to answer the subpoena at the time Mr. Mullen requires. He is under no obligation to explain his rationale for setting that time and date for requiring Captain Croyle to appear."

"He's under obligation to explain it if he doesn't want me to squash that subpoena like a bug." said Watts. "So I'll ask this: why that date? It's a weekend, for crying out loud, even if it wasn't Captain Croyle's wedding day... and it is her wedding day."

"Mr. Mullen believes that time is of the essence in compelling this witness to testify----"

"Stop right there!" ordered Watts. "Just stop! Mullen has taken weeks... WEEKS!... to issue any subpoenas, but NOW you claim urgency in compelling this testimony on that particular date, just over a week away, and on a weekend? Really, Mr. Alberts?"

"Your Honor," said Alberts, knowing his cause was lost, and laying groundwork for his appeal, "the State Independent Counsel believes he has the right to compel Ms. Croyle's testimony any time he wishes in the course of this investigation of Governor Val Jared and Commander Donald Troy. He believes May 19th is the correct day to compel Ms. Croyle's testimony, and neither he nor I give a damn if it's her wedding day or not. We expect her to obey the law like any other Citizen would be required to, and we therefore expect her to appear before the State Independent Counsel on that date, or a warrant will be issued... for her arrest."

There were gasps in the audience. Rodney K. Watts was a black man, but one could almost see his face and neck flushing with anger. "I don't need to hear any more." said Watts. He turned to the lawyer on the other side. "Ms. Spires, you can either present your arguments, or you can sit back and enjoy the ruling I am about to hand down."

"I only wish to state, Your Honor," said Spires, "that we desire the time we require to properly prepare for my client's appearance before the Independent State Counsel. As you said, Your Honor, Mullen has had weeks to prepare; we ask for similar consideration."

"And you shall have it." said Watts. "I will not waste any further time on this. I am issuing a stay of the subpoena, and enjoining the State from enforcing it, meaning that Ms. Croyle cannot be compelled to testify before the Independent State Counsel nor his representatives at any time before 9:00am, Monday, June 4th. Furthermore, I am enjoining the Independent State Counsel, his representatives in any way or fashion, the Attorney General and his representatives, and anyone employed by or representing the State, to comment publicly on this subpoena or this ruling, especially to the Press. This is a gag order I fully expect to be scrupulously observed, Mr. Alberts..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Case number 36022, Town & County v. Thomas Cowpens." announced the Court Reporter. Thomas 'Cromwell' Cowpens was brought up to the podium between the Prosecution and Defense tables, followed by his attorney, Max Chambliss of Gresham & Mason, P.C. Chambliss was older, losing his hair, with what hair he had being unkempt. He was already becoming rotund. He also had a reputation of being a cheap, dirty, sleazy lawyer; why Gresham & Mason was using him now was a mystery that even Your Iron Crowbar could not immediately solve.

The charges were read and Judge Folsom said "How do you plead?"

"Your Honor," interrupted Chambliss, "I ask that before my client pleads, you consider the motion I've filed with the Court. The British Embassy has asked that my client be transferred to Federal custody so that he may be transferred to British custody."

"I've read that motion." said Folsom. "Prosecution, what are your comments on the Defense's motion?"

District Attorney Gil Krasney stood up. "The People do not oppose the Defense counsel's motion, Your Honor." he said.

"The Police sure do object to it." said Folsom. "They've already filed a brief with the Court on why this defendant should remain in this jurisdiction's custody and face trial for two counts of capital murder."

"Your Honor," Krasney stated, his voice beginning to show anger, "as the District Attorney, I was elected to represent the People of this County in the Court system. And as District Attorney, it is my official position, and therefore the official position of the Town & County, that we do not oppose the Defense motion. Furthermore, I recommend that you accept it."

"Good grief." muttered Folsom. Then he said more loudly: "The defendant must still enter a plea, whereupon the case shall be held in abeyance pending the Federal extradition hearing."

Cowpens entered a 'not guilty' plea, and was remanded to Federal custody. He would not be seen in this jurisdiction again.

Part 19 - Television Appearances

It was nothing short of pandemonium in the Police Headquarters Press Room. Reporters were shouting questions over each other, hurling them at Captain Damien Thompson, who just stood calmly and passively as the reporters made a humiliating mockery of themselves.

*TWEEET!*

The blast of a whistle stopped the noise in its tracks. It might have started back, but Commander Cindy Ross was not the only one at the doorway. Lieutenant Hugh Hewitt and twelve heavily armed and armored Officers of the TCPD SWAT team were backing up the power of the Green Crowbar.

"Keep your mouths shut," ordered Ross, "or you will all be arrested and jailed for disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace." As the Press was about to start in again, Cindy yelled: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Town & County Police Commander!"

"Thank you, Commander Ross." said the Town & County Police Commander as I strode into the room. Taking the podium, I said "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Press, I have a statement to make. I will take no questions afterward." The room settled down as I began:

"For the second time in less than two months, criminals that were to be charged with first degree murder were allowed to be transferred out of our custody and to the custody of the Federal Government." said Moynahan. "Both of these transfers of custody, which were done over the strenuous objections of the Town & County Police Department, whose Officers worked to discover and arrest the criminals, were made with the consent of District Attorney Gil Krasney. And this is after D.A. Krasney tried to make plea deal with rapists just a couple of years ago."

"Ladies and Gentlemen," I said, "Gil Krasney is endangering the safety and lives of our Citizens with his reckless, thoughtless actions in letting murderers and rapists get away with their crimes. I strongly urge Gil Krasney to resign immediately. He is not fit to continue as District Attorney."

And with that, I walked off the podium and out of the room. Cindy and the SWAT Team filed out behind me. As soon as they were gone, the Press exploded, shouting questions at Captain Thompson. He did not respond, but simply walked out of the Press Room himself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am sorry to say that my Detective Division spent this Friday afternoon from 1:00pm to 2:00pm watching 'Days of Promise'... and I did nothing to stop them. Half the Police Force was watching from various places. DVRs were recording the episode, including at the Mountain Nest.

And at 1:45pm, I was all but dragged into MCD to watch with them by my Captain of Detectives, who literally chased me into the room with the help of a Tank that I could not outmaneuver.

A few moments later, the next-to-last scene came on. It showed Marlena sitting on a bench by the paved walk along the River. Our Town & County's River. A moment later, Callie Carrington came up.

"Callie!" said Marlena as the women hugged, both women looking good in their tasteful but clingy dresses. "It's been so long! How have you been!"

"Hi!" said Callie. They sat back down and chit-chatted a moment about Callie having left the soap opera's town for Los Angeles and Hollywood. Then Marlena looked up and said "Oh, it's Detective Troy from the Police Department. How are you doing, Detective?"

Everyone in MCD cheered as Your Iron Crowbar entered the scene from the right. Yes, I'd agreed to a cameo appearance, and I was wearing my light grey slacks and jacket and black pullover. The badge on a link necklace around my neck was the show's 'Police Force' badge, and I was allowed to keep it as a memento of the occasion.

I had agreed to the appearance under one condition, and that was that my co-star would appear also...

"Aw, look, it's Bowser!" said Callie on the screen as a very handsome white-haired dog came into view on the leash I was holding. Callie picked up Bowser and put him between her and Marlena.

"Marlena, this is the dog that led Police to that little girl that was freezing in a ditch, saving her life." said Callie.

"Aw, what a hero!" said Marlena, petting a content Bowser. "You must be very proud of him, Detective Troy."

"Yes ma'am, I am. We all are." I said. The camera zoomed in on Bowser, then went to the final scene, the Friday week-ending cliffhanger.

"What a sweet dog!" exclaimed Joanne. "Commander, I am going to steal that dog from you!"

"My daughter will beat you down silly if you try." I said. "I might even have to seed her in the Boxing Matches." Everyone laughed.

The closing credits rolled. They usually rolled fast, but as it was being DVR'd, someone rewound it and we watched. Near the end, they read "Callie Carrington - Callie", then "Commander Donald Troy - Detective Troy". Then came "Bowser - As Himself." The redoubtable Bowser would get a lot of positive commentary on Twitter and 'the Facebook' on the Days of Promise pages.

Yep, Bowser, I thought to myself. Hero Police Dog. Chick Magnet. And now, Daytime Television Rock Star...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:30pm, Friday, May 11th. Thunderclouds had formed and rolled in late in the afternoon, and it was now warm and humid outside with occasional rainfall. Ergo, we were inside the Cop Bar, at the 'Police Detectives' table, a long table near the exit to the patio. On the other side of that door was the 'Command table'. Cindy and I were entitled to sit there, but we chose to sit with Tanya, Teresa, and Todd.

The bar was absolutely packed with Police Officers and Firefighters. Most of the banter that I picked up was about the Police Boxing Matches, which would resume the next day and on Sunday.

"Congratulations, Teresa!" said Cindy as she poured herself and Teresa beer from the pitcher. "I'm glad you got that frickin' subpoena pushed back."

"Mullen is going to appeal the ruling." said Teresa. "So it's not over yet."

"Yes it is." I said. As everyone looked at me, I said "State Senator Woodburn, U.S. Congressman Condor, and all the other bigwigs want to attend the 'wedding of the century'. Even Appellate Judge Leahy is not going to stand against that." Todd laughed heartily at that. Then his humor left him as quickly as it had come to him, a trait he shared with his uncle.

"Still," my nephew said, "what the hell was Mullen thinking, when he put it on that date? Stupidity? Or just sheer malice?"

"Malice," I replied, "but also a very carefully thought out plan. Mullen's intention is to go after me by going after the people around me. I expect Cindy to get a subpoena, also. And if I'm right, the bastard is going to go after Teresa as hard as he can... to try to make her break, in order to break me."

"That will be the day." Teresa said resolutely. "Clan Troy does not break."

Damn right we don't, I thought to myself as we all silently drank some beer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I have a question." said Todd, finally breaking the silence. "Uncle Don, did you know Thomas Cromwell was the killer all along?"

"Not for sure." I said. "I certainly didn't have enough to make an arrest.

"Oh, he knew." said Cindy as she got up. She put on my trenchcoat, which was my raincoat for this evening, then took my Tilley hat and put it on. And then she began her Peter Falk 'Lt. Columbo' impression:

"Excuse me, sir," she said gruffly, standing over Todd, "I wonder if you can help me with a question... you see, the Mrs., she doesn't think much of the idea of keeping one's enemies closer... but you see, sir, I keep my enemies closer, and they always make a mistake, sir... they always make a mistake... and you made a mistake, sir, a big mistake..."

It was a play on how television Detective Lt. Columbo always had the perp going along with him as he solved the case, then sprang the solution on the perp at the end. We were all laughing at Cindy's excellent imitation, and the Officers at the next table had noticed the commotion and were watching and laughing as well, though I'm not sure they truly knew why.

"Oh, look." said Tanya. "Here's the new political ad." We all looked at the televisions in the bar, watching. To the surprise of everyone, appearing in the ad in a gray suit and black pullover shirt... was me, Your Iron Crowbar.

The voice over said "Gil Krasney. Sweetheart deals for rapists and DUI offenders. And custody transfers for murderers."

Then I came on: "Hi, I'm Donald Troy. The Officers of the Town & County Police Force bust their butts to find and arrest criminals every day, only to see District Attorney Gil Krasney let the perps off the hook. In just the last few weeks, two persons charged with first degree murder were allowed to be transferred to Federal custody, over the objections of the Police Force. Gil Krasney's actions not only make waste of the Police Force's efforts, his actions demoralize the Police and others that work to bring Justice to our County... and his actions make the Citizens of our Town and County much less safe."

As the camera zoomed slowly in on me, I said "I call upon Gil Krasney to resign as District Attorney. But if he won't, you can say something about it in the November elections. Whoever you vote for is your choice. But please vote against Gil Krasney for D.A." Then the voiceover came on with the words "The content of this advertising was paid for by The Friends of the Town and County."

The ooohs and aaahs started up, but then someone started clapping. You get one guess who it was, and that guess should be 'Lt. Micah Rudistan'. Within seconds, all of the Police Officers in the bar were on their feet applauding, knowing that their Police Commander's message was on their behalf as much as anything else. They were joined by a good number of the Firefighters. Only Tanya and I were still seated, and after a moment I stood up to acknowledge the applause. I looked stoic on the outside, but on the inside I felt very good that I had the support of my Police Force, just as they had mine...