Solace & Rosanna Ch. 05

Story Info
Solace and Rosanna get to know each other just a bit better.
1.9k words
4.27
9.1k
00

Part 5 of the 23 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 09/18/2003
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

1998: Solace and Rosanna traversed the avenues and then made their way uptown. They walked arm in arm, and both smiled inwardly at how comfortable it felt walking with a near-perfect stranger. Solace considered herself to be a carefree person, but this was a bit odd even for her. Rosanna, being the levelheaded pragmatist knew she must be suffering from some form of temporary insanity because of her usual reserved and cautious nature. They kept up a stream of conversation. Actually, Solace found herself providing answers to Rosanna’s probing questions. One question would elicit ten answers. Solace did manage to learn that Rosanna was the Director of a learning center called Getting Started With, which specialized in training and materials of and for computer applications and networking. Although it was dark, Solace could hear the smile on Rosanna’s face and pride in her accomplishments. Her company obviously meant a great deal to her. Her pride was not unfounded. GSW (as Rosanna called it) had blossomed from one center in mid-Manhattan to the Bronx, Brooklyn and soon would be opening a facility in Queens.

Solace told Rosanna about her stint as a voice teacher at the Music for Life school where she had been working with the extremely talented to the occasional tone-deaf student for the past three years. Solace also told her about her own quest for singing stardom.

“I sing in a café on the weekends. It’s a pretty cool gig. I get a small check plus dinner, and the tips are great. Maybe you'll come see me some day,“ she said proudly.

“What kind of songs do you enjoy singing?” Rosanna asked with undisguised interest.

“Oh, I’ll sing just about anything for an audition. But my absolute favorites are ballads and Broadway tunes. Do you like music?” Solace asked.

“I do.” Rosanna offered tentatively.

“And are you going to tell me what kind you like or am I going to have to tickle it out of you?” Solace asked brazenly.

Rosanna laughed.

“Well..” she started tentatively. I have a passion for classical music. My favorite composer is Mozart.” She waited for Solace to giggle or say something flippant, but her response was anything but.

“Really? I love Mozart! He’s relaxing yet interesting. I tell my students if they’d had radio back in his day, he might have been on an alternative station.

“I’ve never thought about that before. You’re probably right,” Rosanna said looking up noticing that they had reached 109th street already.

“We’re here”, she announced.

Solace thought she detected a slight note of regret in Rosanna’s voice. Of course, she might have been hoping that was the case because she knew she was sorry they had gotten here so fast.

“Well, Ms. Romero, I thank you for walking me. How chivalrous of you.”

Solace made a small curtsy and bowed her head slightly.

“You don’t have to thank me. I practically forced myself on you.” Rosanna responded, hoping Solace couldn’t see the blush that immediately stained her cheeks.

Impulsively, Solace asked if Rosanna would like to come up for some tea.

“Tea?” Rosanna responded as if she’d never heard of the beverage.

“You know, you boil water, let the tea leaves steep for a bit and—“ Rosanna smiled as she ran her fingers through her hair. She finally said.

“Okay, smarty. I’ll come up but not for tea. Do you have any diet soda?”

“Diet soda! Yuk! Don’t tell me you’re one of those.” Solace said in mock disdain.

“One of those whats?” Rosanna asked, crossing her arms.

“One of those diet gurus. Do you know how many chemicals diet soda has? It’s filled with carcinogens and God knows what else. It’s pure poison,” Solace finished with a flourish.

“Well, I like to live dangerously then,” Rosanna countered. “I can’t keep this body fit by filling it with sugar, you know.”

Solace sighed. “Well, I guess I can find something, if I really search. Come on, Sanna.”

“Sanna?” Rosanna asked, surprised.

“I don’t know where that came from, but I think it fits. Is it all right if I call you that?” Solace asked anxiously.

Rosanna thought a minute and said, “Sure. I’ll get used to it. No one’s ever called me that one.”

They entered Solace’s building and made their way to her one-bedroom apartment, which was located on the second floor.

“I have a fear of elevators, so I chose my apartment with that in mind.”

Well, I guess she won’t be visiting me too much on the 20th floor, thought Rosanna.

Solace extracted her keys from her bag. Opening the door she called out in theatrical tones, “Welcome to Chez Solace!” She stretched out her arms and in one smooth motion, tossed her cane to one side and her bag to another. She then proceeded to turn on every light in her living room. She had four tall Halogen lamps, which illuminated the area to such a degree that it reminded Rosanna of a ball field.

Rosanna shielded her eyes with one hand and held out her other hand as if she were trying to fend off an attacker.

“You’re blinding me!” She said and instantly regretted her choice of words, but Solace was quick with a snappy come-back.

“Excellent. Welcome to my world!” She rubbed her hands together as if portraying a fiend in a bad movie.

Rosanna put her hands down, reached into her briefcase took out her sunglasses and put them on.

"Okay. That's better," she said with exaggerated relief.

Solace laughed and Rosanna joined her.

“Just sit anywhere!” Solace called out as she crossed the room and turned a corner to where Rosanna thought the kitchen might be located. It turned out that her assumption was correct because Solace was asking her if she would like some mango nectar. She said that sounded great and the next thing she knew Solace was returning with a tall glass of the orange-colored drink.

Rosanna put down her briefcase and looked around for a place to sit. Solace seemed fond of soft, overstuffed cushion-like chairs. Rosanna did not see anything resembling a sofa. She took the offered glass and downed half the drink before Solace had even taken a few good sips of her own.

“That’s really good. Thank you,” she said.

“You’re welcome. Glad you liked it.” Solace said, finishing hers with a final gulp. Abruptly, she placed her empty glass on a nearby table.

“Do you wanna hear something, Sanna?” she asked with an air of eagerness.

“Sure.” Rosanna answered amiably and made her way to a blue cushion-chair.

Solace flew over to a mini-stereo system and opened a huge cabinet next to it. Rosanna’s mouth dropped open in awe at the compact disc collection inside. There must have been hundreds, if not thousands of jewel cases. She got up and went to stand behind Solace, who jumped a bit as she felt the unexpected movement behind her. Okay. Why am I so jumpy? And maybe I should turn on the fan because it ‘s really warm in here.

“Wow! How many do you have?” Rosanna asked in amazement.

“About a thousand or so. I’ve stopped counting them all. It’s a small collection by comparison,” Solace answered with a hint of pride in her voice.

“By comparison to whom? I’m still a cassette woman. But I’m gradually converting,” Rosanna said, running her fingers down the stacks. Solace stared transfixed. Rosanna had lovely hands.

“Do you play an instrument? She asked softly.

“I play a little piano,” Rosanna answered, stepping back. Solace felt slightly dismayed at this movement and the slight chill it produced.

“You’ll have to play for me sometime, even tonight, if you like,” Solace said hopefully.

“I haven’t practiced in awhile. I’m really rusty,” Rosanna said shyly.

“So you’ll practice and you’ll play and I’ll sing,” Solace pronounced, suddenly remembering why she had dashed over to the stereo in the first place. She picked up a CD, placed it in the player and pressed play. The opening chords of “Not While I’m Around” from Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd began and then Solace could be heard. Her voice was soft and mellow, but the contrast could be heard when she sang the transition. Her voice was pure and clear without unnecessary embellishment. Rosanna dropped into a chair to listen. She was stunned. She had not been able to pick out Solace's voice among the other sopranos because Solace had blended so well. When the piece ended, she sat silent for what seemed hours just staring at Solace.

“What’s the matter?” Solace asked, beginning to feel slightly uncomfortable at Rosanna’s intense appraisal.

“You’re amazing! That was so beautiful” Rosanna finally said.

“Thank you.” Solace said, feeling another blush creep up her face. She seemed to be doing a lot of that tonight. She removed the CD from the player and returned it to its case.

“Can I buy a copy of that somewhere?” Rosanna asked.

“No, but I’ll make a copy for you.” Solace answered with pleasure.

“You have a cd burner?” Rosanna asked surprised.

“Yes, it was expensive, but I thought it was a cheaper way to send out high-quality demos of my work.” Solace smiled.

“That’s clever. Thank you—in advance,” Rosanna said simply.

“I’ll bring it next week to the rehearsal. Oh. Are you going to be there?” She asked anxiously.

“We would be nuts to miss any of these rehearsals,” Rosanna answered with a smirk.

“You’re right. What am I saying?” Solace agreed.

“Well, I better go. I have an early A.M. meeting with a new instructor.” Rosanna rose and walked toward Solace.

Solace stuck out her hand and Rosanna took it between her own. She told Solace that it had been great meeting her and that she looked forward to seeing her next week. Solace responded in kind and they made their way to the door. Solace opened it and Rosanna stepped out. She turned back to look at Solace.

“Good night, Sol,” Rosanna said softly.

“Sol? I like that. No one has ever called me that before,” Solace answered with a shy smile.

“It suits you. You remind me of the sun, bright and cheerful,” Rosanna replied and thought, well, chalk one up for the mushy team. She started walking backwards.

“Be careful, Sanna or you’ll fall,” Solace said, concern evident in her tone.

“Don’t worry. I’m fine. I’ve got eyes in back of my head.” That said, she promptly missed the last two steps and fell flat on her butt.

“Are you all right?” Solace asked as she rushed down the stairs to help Rosanna.

Rosanna got to her feet slowly, grimaced and then smiled.

“Guess the eyes in the back of my head need a checkup!” In spite of her concern for Rosanna, Solace chuckled at her new friend’s quick wit. For she was certain they would become friends.

Rosanna turned and limped out of the building; her knee was killing her but she didn’t want Solace to see how much pain she was in. Although it would sound cruel if voiced, she was glad Solace could not see well. She did have the presence of mind to yell back. “I’ll call you, Sol!”

“Okay. Great! Please be careful, Sanna” Solace called down.

Rosanna hopped in a taxi. She thought back with cautious pleasure on the evening’s events. She suddenly sat up in the seat. How was she going to call the woman when she didn’t even have her phone number. She ran her fingers through her hair in dismay. At that very moment, Solace sat bolt upright in her favorite chair.

“How’s she gonna call me? She doesn’t have my phone number!” She flung herself back in the chair and sighed. It’ll all work out…somehow. It better!