Spell, Crook and Handle Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,791 Followers

'There exists a global network. I can transport you and any possessions to a location of your desire.'

'Can you display the network?'

The sphere became a globe of the earth but the land masses were in the wrong positions. A moment later the display fluttered and changed to one I knew so well. The globe shifted and a yellow rune appeared showing my current location. I took out the sole surviving tablet computer and brought up the extraction point. The tablet grew hot in my hands and I dropped it as it burst into flames.

'Your technology is quite fragile. I have located your extraction location. Do you wish to go there now?'

'Yeah, that would be great! I will need to get a radio and tell them I'm on my way.'

'Show me this radio device.'

I went to one of the fallen tents and found an intact satellite phone. The phone lit up and I guessed the alien tech was examining it. There was a long silence as I waited for the voice to respond. The phone went dark and I was rewarded with an explanation.

'I have accessed global communication network. Humans have placed primitive satellites in orbit to carry both analog and digital signals, how quaint. I have identified and stored alphanumeric sequence located in device specified as satellite phone. This is key to you returning home?'

'Yes, that is the number for the people who will come for me.'

'I could send you directly to your destination.'

'You could but how would I explain it?' I said to it, whatever the hell it was. 'I need to travel wisely.'

'I understand. I am not an it. I am more. I have a name.'

'I am sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. What is your name?'

'I am designated Yog-Sothoth. I am the gate. Do you wish to leave now? Do you have all the items you require?'

'Well,' I said thinking about all those damn coins and gems.

'I can transport those as well if you like. But it would not be wise to appear with a mound of treasure at your feet. I can send it when you are home. Would that suffice?'

'That would very satisfactory! Won't I lose contact with you once I leave here?'

'No, the network can reach me anywhere. You can reach me from anywhere.'

I grabbed a container of water, some food and my personal effects. I gave Yog-Sothoth the signal and the stomach lurching jump occurred. I reached for the satellite phone when I heard the ringing sound in my head. Are you shitting me?

"What is your situation?" The voice on the other end of the connection asked.

"I have it, I am ready for extraction," I said and heard a gasp of surprise.

"The team is on its way. How many survived?"

"It is just me."

The connection was severed and I looked up at the billions of stars in the night sky. I shivered as I thought just how small we really were. We thought we were the masters of the Earth but we are a grain of sand on the shore of eternity. I would hand over the stone, take my payment and disappear for a nice long holiday. I had earned it.

Afterward:

I strode through the Alexander Palace. The renovation to convert it into a museum was completed a few years ago. I moved with the other visitors and followed the guide as she pointed out treasures and relics from the time of the Romanovs. There were display cases, paintings and statuary everywhere. We were halfway through the tour when we took turns looking at a glass case and in it was a jeweled comb that was labeled the possession of Tatiana, Anastasia's sister.

"That belonged to Anastasia not Tatiana," I blurted out in Russian.

"Excuse me," the guide spun on me angrily. "What do you mean it belonged to Anastasia? How could you possibly know that?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"He is correct," a voice carried over the confusion my statement had caused. "I told those fools it belonged to my Anastasia but they wouldn't listen."

I turned to see the ancient woman in the wheelchair. She beckoned me over and I walked to stand before her.

"Follow me young man," the crone said as she directed the burly Russian man pushing her towards a roped off portion of the palace museum.

The armed guard protecting this wing unhooked the red velvet rope and we passed into the eastern wing of the palace. The bank of windows ran the entire length of the wing. We went out to a garden in the rear of the building. She ordered a halt with a dramatic motion of her hand.

"Go and leave me alone," she ordered. The man argued but lost after an evil glare from the woman. "How did you know that was Anastasia's comb?"

"You won't believe me," I said facing her. "Anna..."

The color drained from her face and she made a sign against evil. I smiled and took two steps back to show I meant her no harm.

"She used to play in this garden with her sisters. You were her constant companion and a year younger."

"Anyone could know that, guess that to try and fool me," she glared at me as she spat out the words.

"I could show you the secret place, the hidden door that the two of you used to use to play hide and seek."

"You bribed the workmen," she accused.

"I didn't come here to argue with you," I said and began to walk away.

"Why did you come here?"

"I wanted to see it with my own eyes," I said. "She loved you very much."

"Push me," she ordered.

"You sound just like her," I said as I followed her order.

I pushed her back inside and directly to the hidden door. I opened it without hesitation and she cried out. I wheeled her into the hidden room and closed the door behind us. I took her to the chamber where Grigori Rasputin had cast his vile spell. The chamber was untouched. Anna told me that the workers had not been allowed this far. They restored the door and that was all. The place reeked of black magic.

"Tell me," Anna begged.

"The spell worked but only to a certain point. She was sent to another place."

"You won't say where, will you? You don't want an old woman to suffer needlessly."

"It was bad, that is all you need to know," I said.

"Did she suffer in the end?"

"No, she wasn't alone and I think she was happy to be honest," I said.

"Bless you," she said.

I pushed her out of that dark room and back into the light. I left her with a smile on her ancient features and a great weight seemed to have been lifted.

"I kept my promise," I said.

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,791 Followers
1...456789