Sphere of Chaos Ch. 03

Story Info
Sin and Abris go to the mages' college.
3.5k words
4.38
4.7k
0

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 08/20/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When the sun came up, Sin had already been awake for a couple of hours. She swiftly put on the clothes that Abris had left for her and brushed her hair nicely so that she looked like she groomed herself every day like a normal person. At the very least, she looked kempt, but the style of Abris's green dress did not suit Sin in the slightest. Once she was prepared to leave, she headed downstairs with her knapsack so she could fill one canteen with mead and the other with water. When Sin was filling up her canteens, she overheard a conversation between the innkeeper at the bar and a customer on a stool.

"...absolutely crazy. And were you here last night? You wouldn't have believed the sort she brought in with her, all covered in filth and grit.

"Aye, well with all that's going on, can't expect people to keep their heads!"

The innkeeper harrumphed at that. "Well, she's paying fine money, else I'd have none of it. All that's going on or not, we have standards here."

It was clear that Abris and Sin were the topics of this discussion, and while the men weren't exactly keeping their voices down, they obviously didn't recognize Sin after she had cleaned up and changed clothing. But another thing became apparent then, which was that Abris wasn't at all who she had claimed to be. She didn't work at the inn, and furthermore, those who owned the inn were not her family.

Sin was in the midst of filling her second canteen full of mead from a rusty spigot, after she had already deposited the water canteen in her bag. Overhearing the conversation about her and Abris caused her to lose focus and overfill the canteen, spilling the sappy alcohol onto the ground. "Shit!" she cursed, before looking at the men who were speaking. She stared openly for a few moments while she let everything settle in her mind. It was apparent that she would have to approach the woman who went by the name of Abris. Was that even her name? Who was she? What did she want with Sin? And perhaps most importantly, did she know who Sin was?

Sin bagged the canteen of mead, and then checked her person. She had six daggers holstered on various parts of her body, and she compulsively checked each one to make sure they were still there. All was good. She figured she may need them if the upcoming conversation with Abris came to a head.

All the while, Abris knew nothing of what had transpired inside the inn. She rocked back and forth on her heels while waiting for Sin to meet her outside. Her clothing was similar to what she had worn the day before, just in varying shades of blue instead. In Abris's mind, she was being perfectly careful. She was certain that she wouldn't be discovered.

Abris took some time to check out the bounty board at the front of the inn. At least to Sin's advantage, there was no one resembling her on it. If the city was aware of her at all, apparently she had not become so infamous yet as to require it. The city did have its own plethora of goons and criminals to devote valuable resources to, after all.

"Good morning!" Abris greeted Sin warmly upon seeing her. "My, didn't you clean up well. You just barely look suspicious at all now." She said it teasingly, though still far and away from cruelly, and started up back towards the mages' college. This early, the streets were only just beginning to fill in with life. The air smelled of fresh baked bread and pastries while miscellaneous vendors were just starting to open their doors. "Did you sleep well?" she asked, simply making idle chatter while they wound their way.

Sin stood back as Abris took her first few steps, assessing the situation carefully. After a few moments, she began following the woman again so that Abris wouldn't think twice about her initial hesitation to follow her. "Yes, I slept just fine," Sin lied. Then again, she never slept well.

As they were walking by one of the desolate alleyways, and nobody was aware of what was happening, Sin quickly—and silently—wrapped her left forearm underneath Abris's chin, pulling it up and exposing her throat. She then whipped out a dagger and held it against the skin. Any cry that Abris may have made was cut short upon feeling the blade to her neck. Sin pulled the woman into the alleyway, still remaining unseen. The motions all blurred together into one instantaneous movement. Abris barely tried to struggle, and simply tensed up in Sin's grasp. Sin breathed heavily a few times, waiting to make sure that they went unnoticed, then she spoke in a hushed whisper, "Alright, bitch, you'd better start talking now, or I'll fucking slit your throat. Who the hell are you?"

Abris held her own breath and blinked down to look at the edge of the weapon she could barely just see. No, there were no laughs or giggles from her this time. The fear that went into her eyes was very real. And yet, that didn't stop her from making it difficult. "I can't tell you. I don't know that I can trust you yet," she whispered back breathlessly. "Besides, if you kill me, you'll never know about object that fell from the sky." It could have been a bluff. Or a lie to save herself. Would Sin be willing to risk it if that wasn't the case?

Sin pulled up a little bit more, pressing the small serrated blade into the flesh, the flesh separating slightly and causing a very thin line of blood to emerge from beneath. The blood that trickled out from the mild cut wasn't at all what someone might have expected. To start with, it wasn't even red, but silver, and resembled something like mercury. It had a strange transparency to it and sparkled in the early morning light. Abris closed her eyes and shuddered. She was extremely averse to pain, so this sort of questioning certainly got through to her whereas probably nothing else would have.

Sin didn't notice the strange quality of the blood at first. "You think I trust you to tell you about my life, when you won't even tell me who the fuck you are??" She backed off ever so slightly, just so she would stop cutting into the woman's throat. "Why the hell did you target me? What do you know?"

"Are you in danger, Sin?" Abris asked, just barely audible. "As am I. I picked you out because you appear strong and well-traveled. But I know nothing about you beyond what you've told me." She tried to keep her voice calm and steady while talking, though that said nothing for her heartbeat that was thudding in her ears. She kept perfectly still then, if only to show Sin that she would cooperate.

Sin finally took notice of the strange, silvery blood. She was scared, but to hell if she would let it show. "What are you? I've never encountered a race or species that spilled such strange looking blood on my boots before." She sneered a bit. "And trust me, there have been many that have spilled their good-for-nothing blood on my boots."

Abris allowed just the tiniest smile to grace her lips at Sin's words. Sin certainly knew how to pull off the threatening role, though that was all the more reason not to provoke her further. "It should be sufficient to say that I am not human, nor halfling, nor demon. But if you really must know more, then I pray, let it be elsewhere. My blood will garner unwanted attention... Unwanted for you, as well."

"In the future, Abris, you may want to be a little bit more careful about who you double-cross, or at least with how carefully you cover your tracks." Sin let the woman go, roughly, the sudden release causing Abris to fall to her knees in the streets. "Perhaps we need to lay down a few ground rules before we continue. First of all, any sort of information I share, you must share in equal portions. Two, I don't want you ever going into my bag and looking through my shit. And three, if I ever catch you fucking lying to me again, I'll fucking kill you." She looked at Abris before arching her eyebrow. "Got it?"

Abris stayed where she was on her knees for a moment, putting a hand over her heart as though to still it while she recovered her breath. She inhaled deeply and let out her breath again in a tremulous sigh before tilting her head back to look up at Sin. Amazingly, she smiled. "I would never look through your things, Sin," she said eccentrically. Then she wasted no further time in taking care of what blood of hers had been spilled onto her neck. She pulled out a small vial that was filled with what looked to be water and dabbed some on the wound. When she did, the wound closed and vanished like it had never been. Then she wiped the rest of the trickle away with a cloth, and afterward, burned the cloth to nothing more than ash before she finally stood back up again. "I understand your conditions and will abide by them. Shall we be off again now?"

Sin stared at her momentarily before reluctantly holstering the dagger. She simply nodded and suggested, "Lead the way." She glanced pensively at the blood that had fallen on the ground, hiding the track by kicking a mound of dirt over the small pool. "I don't much appreciate being lied to, however I seriously doubt that someone of your...species...would find me of particular interest. Because I need information, I have deemed you to be indispensable for the time being."

Abris turned to lead again at a moderately quick pace, as though to make up for lost time. She continued the conversation in low tones, however, although anyone overhearing anything wouldn't be able to understand it out of context. "I do find it highly entertaining that you could say you are of no particular interest without knowing," she replied with a faint giggle. Then again, it was likely that she found most things highly entertaining so long as there was no immediate danger to herself. "I wonder myself, though, why is it that you need information? Is it just curiosity in that object? You know what they say about that..."

"I reckon that the interest I have drawn over the years is by humans. I haven't slighted anybody else enough to make them thirst after my...blood." Try as she might to focus on the conversation at hand, she felt endlessly distracted by thoughts of the orb. It was driving her crazy. "I don't know what it is about that orb, but I have to know what it is. It just has...a draw to it. I noticed I wasn't the only person in this town that is obsessing over it." She stopped suddenly in her tracks. "You don't seem curious about it at all. You do know what it is, don't you?"

Abris stopped too as Sin did, though they were then right around the corner from the mages' college, in one of the congested streets. "I do not know exactly," she admitted with a puzzled expression. "But I do intend to find out. So perhaps from me, the valuable information of which you need is not the what, but the where. I do know where it ended up. Now I am confirming that others do not." She gestured to the right, in the general direction of the college, revealing her purpose for coming along at all.

Sin nodded silently, then began walking again, hoping that action itself would spur on the woman. "So, how do we garner the acceptance of the magi?" She stared openly at Abris, wondering if the whole venture was a fool's quest. "Is this the sort of setting where I, the lowly and bitter outsider, should shut my mouth and let you, the charismatic liar, lead the way?"

"Charismatic liar...?" Abris repeated as she matched step with Sin again to join the congregations heading for the college. She pouted a little, seeming hurt by the association, but that didn't last long. She glanced over at Sin with a renewed musical giggle. "Did you not have a look at yourself in a viewing glass? You're likely to be far more convincing than I right now. I dare anyone to deny those fierce eyes of yours!"

As they got closer to the college, it was clear why there were so many about outside rather than entreating with any of the magi inside. The doors were still barred, this time by armed guardsman. There was activity at the top of the stairs that lead to the entrance too, and more people shuffling at a gate near the bottom. A wagon was making its way through the throngs of people to join the activity happening there. Abris turned her gaze to make out what she could while still addressing Sin. "You should never pass up an opportunity to speak. I don't think anyone would recognize you as an outsider now, and you may like the results."

Sin brought her voice down to a whisper, since they were surrounded by such massive swaths of people. "I don't know. The only time I ever get anything I demand is through coercion or sexual manipulation. Somehow I doubt those old guys in robes would want me wielding a blade or 'holstering their weapon.'" She tried to peer past the people to look into the gates. "What should we do? It would be so much easier to see if we killed all of these people."

Abris choked down another laugh. "You really resort to violence easily, don't you? Well, I don't know what old guys you've met, but I doubt they would be so opposed as you might think, if that's your thing..." She bit her lower lip as she looked through the crowd. Sin did have a point—of course it would be easier to kill everyone, even if it only made things easier temporarily. She didn't think that would be necessary though, despite their impatience.

"Despite what they tell you, sometimes violence does solve problems. And sometimes it's the only solution to a problem," Sin muttered under her breath.

Amidst the movement up front, one of the high mages stepped up to a pedestal and the crowd began to quiet down. Within a minute, the mage's voice was magically amplified to speak out to everyone. "I know you're all here to learn more about the mysterious light that fell yesterday. There are prophecies that speak of such a thing, and we are deciphering the facts to determine the orb's origins and meanings. But let me tell you all, we do not have much information at this time. However, for those of you thinking to go out and find it for yourselves, we urge you not to. It is dangerous. See for yourselves." He waved a puffy sleeve and those at the wagon below pulled back a sheet that covered what could have only been bodies, though they were blackened and disfigured almost beyond recognition.

Abris stood on her tiptoes, straining to see what caused all the gasps and shrieks in the crowd. She smirked over at Sin and tilted her head. "Heeey, maybe you can lift me up so I can see better too, then I'll tell you what's going on. You certainly handled me fine before."

Sin listened intently, then nodded. She hoisted Abris up pretty easily. In that way, Abris hovered over the whole crowd. Certainly, Abris was able to see the bodies. Sin grumbled at Abris, "Do you think it's a ruse? Or do you really think that thing is as dangerous as they say? What do you see up there?"

For someone that said she didn't know if she could trust Sin or not yet, Abris certainly went about being lifted up without any qualms or worries. She balanced herself and peered out over the crowd in thought. "I think it is dangerous," she started, taking in the sight of the bodies without much surprise. "They carted in some charred corpses. It could be a cover up, but I don't think so in this case."

The high mage kept speaking out over everyone too, as some of the outcries started to die down. "These foolhardy souls sought to find riches and glory by seeking that very object. Though I have not seen it myself, I can tell you from others that went searching there is nothing to be seen. The area it had been in is contaminated, so those seekers ended up as you see now. The only people to return alive are under our care, but are blinded or worse, but all have said the same thing—it isn't there anymore. So take heed in my words and remain here. Once we have determined what prophecy it is linked to, all will know."

"Well, shit. What do we do now?" Sin wasn't sure if they should trust the mage. The area was contaminated? With what? Where did the orb go? Where did it come from? So many questions... "I need to go there. I don't care if I end up a charred corpse. Are you coming with me?" There was something addictive about the orb. It was a need, not a want. She wasn't seeking power, but she had to know...

"Of course we're going," Abris responded matter-of-factly and hopped gracefully down to the ground, ignoring the strange looks the pair of them were getting. "They might not know where it is, but I do. I knew I was right. With the right travel companion being you, that is. So if you want to find it, you will have to keep me alive." She didn't say it challengingly, just neutrally as the fact that it was. Abris continued, "We can get supplies and then be off right away, unless you wanted to ask the magi anything while you have the chance." Sure enough, that moment would be the most opportune time to do so as the crowd started to disperse in grumbles and most of the magi were herded around the stairs.

Sin made her way to the front, eager as could be. She looked up to the head mage. "Excuse me sir, but how is the area contaminated? These corpses don't appear to have been contaminated. They appear to have been burned." She looked back at Abris, to see if she had any questions herself, before turning back. She seemed eager and enthusiastic to ask as many questions as she could, in rapid-fire succession. "And where did it go? Did somebody take it? And how big was it, really?"

Abris stayed back a tick while Sin eagerly asked her questions. She was more amused by how Sin was acting than she was interested in anything else the high mage had to say. The high mage himself wasn't as old as the association to his title might have one think, but very likely his appearance was magically altered. He eyed Sin impatiently and was perhaps about to dismiss her too before taking a second look. Still, when he spoke, it was in utmost exasperation. "As I said, I have not seen it myself, nor has anyone as far as I'm aware. The first to arrive on the scene that stepped within the actual perimeter of the landing 'burned up,' as you put it. It is not natural heat and has not subsided despite our efforts. I don't see how anyone could have gotten within even a hundred paces of it and lived, much less taken it, but if I knew where it went, I would be there." When he finished, it sounded like he was about to make some sort of snide comment that he just barely repressed, but he surely seemed in no mood for further questioning.

Sin sighed and turned back to face her companion. She spoke in whispers all over again. "Okay, I guess all that is left is to get some supplies and head out. But where are we going to get them?" She thought back to the tavern. Those people didn't want her there; it was obvious. "Where do you live, anyway?"

"Hmm, well, I'll take you by the stores that most of the adventures frequent, and you can decide what is needed since you're the expert. Only, you won't have to worry about the cost of anything." She waved a hand and started off again, towards one of the bigger shops that had leather gear and weapons on display. "I haven't actually been here that long, so I don't live here. I usually do what I just did last night and was so careless about—just stay at other taverns." She seemed more amiable to being honest now that she had been so firmly found out. But that would depend on just how deep the topic delved. Those sorts of questions weren't anything big.