Spring

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers

"Because I'm the dealer, it's so I don't cheat you." She explained looking at the Queen and a two. She flipped another card, an ace. "Not that I would dare cheat you." She said turning another card, a four. She left it at that, sitting pretty on seventeen. Not great but not bad either. Roland turned over his cards showing her eighteen, a king, a five and a three. "You win." She said.

"It's as easy as this?" Roland asked. Mattie nodded as she scooped up the cards and added them to the bottom of the deck. The door of the inn banged open and in walked 'Zak and Vincent, both a little red in the face, both with giant grins on their faces. They staggered over to where Mattie was sitting and pulled up chairs of their own.

"Evening Mattie." 'Zak said, pushing his long braid out the way.

"Who're you're friends?"

"Cathal around somewhere?"

"Guys, slow down." She said, a smile creeping onto her face. "This is Thor and Roland, both of which found us today. Guys, this is 'Zak and Vincent, both regulars here. As I am sure you will be from now on." She said. "Cathal has gone home for a couple of months, he'll be back when he's ready, you know what it's like." She explained. 'Zak nodded and Vincent turned his attention to the game they were playing.

"You're not playing this boring old thing are you?" Vin said, "You should get yourselves a Frig board and play that instead."

"Frig?" Thor frowned (for Frig is the wife of Odin)

"Frigates. Cribbage." Vin said, "It has several names."

"I don't know how to play that." Mattie said, "And you know it." She added swatting his arm.

"I can teach you."

"Look, I don't have a head for cards, not really, that's Cathal's home. I was passing time with these gentlemen, besides, you're too drunk to teach anyone anything." She said.

"That much is clear, we should just drink more." Thor said, draining his mug. It was becoming obvious to Mattie that there was no way she was going to be able to keep up with him. The ale had already made her head a bit fuzzy. She pushed her chair back from the table and got to her feet. She felt a warm hand touch her wrist, her skin danced under his touch, her heart thumped for the briefest of moments, she looked down at Roland, he arose and removed his hat.

"What's wrong?" she said.

"Is there somewhere I can stash these things? He said, "It's getting warm in here." With that, he shrugged out of his great coat and threw it over his arm.

"Of course, just one moment." Mattie walked over to the bar and called for the barkeep. He tottered out of the kitchen and looked at her expectantly. "Can we get Roland a room? I think he's decided to stay for a bit." The barkeep looked over her shoulder for a moment and smiled.

"He looks like he needs it, what about the other one?"

"I don't know yet." She replied. The barkeep nodded and reached under the bar. He pulled out a huge key and handed it to her.

"I'll give him number eight." He said. "You'll show him up?"

"Of course." She turned back to where Roland stood watching her. "Come on." She said. She resisted the urge to take his hand so she turned to the stairs and waited for him to follow. His footsteps behind her were reassuring so she showed him the stairs and up they went. He paused a moment and looked down the corridor.

"How is this possible?" he asked.

"Oh, I should have said." Mattie gasped, "I see it all the time, I forget how it appears when you first come up here." She stood next to Roland as he looked down the corridor. It looked as much as the rest of the inn, comfortable understated and homely. However, the upstairs were far too big for the lower floor to support, the corridor extended far beyond the ground supports. Roland looked at it for a long while, "It's part of the magic of this place, it makes rooms depending on who is here. I guess the inn expected you to stay for a while."

"So, the less people staying, the less rooms needed?"

"That's right."

"You're room number eight, opposite mine." She said striding down the corridor. He followed close behind; she could sense he was there as well as hear him. "Here we are." She said handing him the key. He took it from her and unlocked the door. It swung open and he stepped inside. What awaited him was something special. Mattie stood in the doorway and smiled as he looked around. There was the largest bed she'd ever seen but then, Roland was tall, so it made sense for him to have a large bed. The drapes and furnishings were like the Grand Hotel in Lawless, plush and comfortable. There was a huge chair and a bookshelf at one end of the room, at the other, there was a curtain, behind which, would be a working cistern toilet and bath, complete with hot water.

"This is..."

"Something else." Mattie finished, "The inn creates the room depending on the needs of the occupant." She said, "My own room is beautiful, though not so plush as this. You must have been through some tough times." He didn't answer, only nodded. He set his coat and hat down on one of the dressers and turned to the sink. "I'm sorry, I should leave you to get settled, can I get you anything?" He turned to face her and gave her the most relaxed warm smile she'd seen.

"I'm famished if ever I was honest. Would you mind getting some food fixed while I fresh up?" he said. She nodded.

"Do you want it bringing up here?" she asked.

"Yes."

She left him alone at that and returned downstairs. She summoned the barkeep and requested food for Roland, as well as a couple more ales. Thor was engrossed in conversation with 'Zak and Vincent, their laughter drifted over to her and she smiled at them. Thor waved her over and she was moving before she even thought about it. "All right?" she said.

"Mattie!" Thor boomed. The other two laughed and she felt her smile wan a bit.

"Yes Thor?" she asked, knowing he was drunk.

"This is the best place I've ever been. Thanks for bringing me here." He said. She shrugged her shoulders at him but didn't argue. He wore a silly grin plastered over his face and his straw coloured hair was dishevelled, sticking out at all angles. Vincent drew Thor's attention so the story he had been telling and Mattie returned to the bar. Hot stew and fresh bread was placed on a tray with two tankards. She took it and climbed the stairs, she approached the door and knocked it with her elbow.

"It's open."

"You're going to have to help out with that, I got my hands full." She called back. Roland appeared a moment later, shirtless, hair dripping, a beige towel around his neck. Mattie nearly dropped the tray. "Oh!" was all that she could manage. She didn't know where to look and she knew her cheeks were red. She looked at the floor, her mind still exploring the contours of his lean body. He stepped aside and let her in the room. She set the tray on the table while Roland pulled a clean shirt, presumably from one of the drawers, over his head. Mattie wasn't sure she was glad he hadn't been in the process of changing his pants.

Her train of thought shattered when he spoke, "Mattie, you have been most helpful, thankee." He said, sitting himself down in front of the tray.

"You're welcome Roland," she said, picking up her mug of ale. "I didn't know if you'd want company or not. I'm happy to leave you if that's what you want." She said, her eyes flicking to the floor and back again.

"Would you're lover appreciate you staying here alone?"

Mattie nearly spat ale, "Pardon?"

"The one who left?"

"Cathal?" Mattie frowned, "Oh God's that's not how it is, he has gone back to see his wife and son. His situation is complex, the Twelve only know, but there is nothing between us but friendship." She said.

"So you're not involved?"

"No. Not in that way."

"Then, you're welcome to stay if you want. I've had nothing but sand for company for as long as I can remember." He said. Mattie sat herself on the huge chair and remained silent while he ate. She watched him, unaware that her gaze made him feel somewhat self-conscious. The nervousness showed in the slightest of twitching of his jaw.

He put the food aside and picked up his mug of ale, he turned to her and nodded, "Thankee again."

"It's ok, you look liked you could use a friend." She said, forcing herself to stay looking at his face. His blue eyes softened a fraction and the smile on his face didn't slide off the moment it appeared. He held her gaze and she swallowed hard, wondering what he could be thinking, not sure where this could lead, not even sure what she was doing there. The little voice in the back of her mind told her she should leave but she couldn't will her legs into motion. Getting involved with this man was going to bring her nothing but trouble; she knew it, as she knew the sun would rise in the east tomorrow, but she just couldn't bring herself to move away.

"So it would seem." He said. "We should join the others before they start to think things."

"Do you worry what they think?" she said, drinking from her mug. "I do not mind their opinions of my actions, I am my own woman and capable of defending myself if need be. The inn sees to what my mind cannot." She shrugged, "Not that I think you'd harm me." She added. He seemed to puzzle this over for a moment, "If you want to go and re-join the others though, I won't object." Could it be that she was making him nervous? Maybe this wasn't how things happened where he was from. For all she knew, what they were doing by merely sitting talking alone together was a huge social fumble. He stood and walked over to where both his guns were hanging, Mattie watched him move with a grace she wouldn't have expected. He ran a long finger down the holster and let out a sigh.

"Come over here Mattie." He said. She moved to stand in front of him. She refused to be intimidated by his height and looked him in the eye. He turned and drew one of his guns, extended his hand and placed it in hers. The weight took her by surprise, how did he lift and shoot a thing so heavy in the time he did? She turned the formidable weapon over in her sweaty hands; the handle was worn smooth from the hands of his fore-fathers no doubt. The gun was immaculate, the light filtering through the drapes shone off the blue steel barrel, the cylinder fit perfectly. She examined the weapon, not sure what she was looking for but doing so all the same.

"It's a beautiful thing." She said.

"What is its function?" he asked, his voice softer than she thought possible.

"It's a weapon."

"It's a tool for killing. Where they go, death follows." He said, "Do you understand?"

"I'm not sure."

"The people that bother to care for me get hurt: dead. I want you to know what you're getting into before anything gets out of hand." He said. She handed the gun back to him and turned his words over, pondering the implications. He took the weapon from her, holstering it while she thought.

"Nothing can harm us here." She said. His flinty eyes fixed her, like a frightened rabbit, caught in the hunter's torchlight.

"Someday, one of us will regret this." He said.

"But this day?"

He gave her a smile that could only be described as wolfish. She swallowed. In half a step he'd seized her. His arms were as strong as they looked; enough to pick her up, spin her and hold her against the wall, enough to lift two of those revolvers. The thought lanced through her even as his mouth found hers. She was surprised at the softness of those lips brushing against hers. Her heart pounded in her ears, her back tensed, his powdery scent filled her, his damp hair tickled her cheek and she struggled to keep her legs from turning to water.

Roland's strong fingertips pushed through her thick black hair and rested at the nape of her neck, inviting her to deepen the kiss. His flavour was like nothing she'd ever tasted before; the tang of ale masked his natural zest only a fraction, he tasted like spice, with a definite undertone of cinnamon. His lips parted and his tongue pressed against her, nudging her mouth open. She squeaked in surprise and yielded, allowing him to explore her mouth. His tongue caressed hers in a way she'd never experienced before, setting alight a fire in the base of her belly. He moaned against her mouth as she curled her arms around his lean waist. He was warm to touch; she could feel the heat radiating from him through the loose cotton shirt, almost feverish. He dropped his arms and clutched her hard against him. His kiss pushed her back against the wall, becoming more forceful, more urgent. He broke for a moment, looking down into her eyes, "God this is the best place I've ever been," he muttered. She searched those washed out blue eyes of his, not sure what she was looking for, not even sure if it was there.

"Kiss me Roland." She whispered. He didn't, instead he held her, wrapped his long arms around her and holding her close. She let her own arms reach up his back and she rested her head on his shoulder. He brushed his lips against her cheek and she couldn't hold back a smile. "Are you ok?" he nodded, kissing her again, on the mouth this time. Gentle, she was surprised at how gentle he was. Mattie rested her hand on his cheek, brushing his angular face with her thumb. His tongue nudged her lips, insistent; she parted them and was lost. She let her eyes drift closed and was swept away by the soft ministrations of his lips on hers.

He scooped her up in her arms, lifting her with no effort at all; he carried her to the gigantic bed. Roland lowered her down onto the soft blankets and lay next to her. She gazed into his face, let her eyes wash over him, he looked beautiful to her and yet, so sad. Mattie pushed him back onto his back before she brushed her lips over his for the briefest of moments; she leaned over him, kissing his face. He smothered a laugh and caught her face in his hands. "Mattie, I believe I want you." He said, sounding surprised as he spoke.

"Is that so bad?" she asked, kissing his chin, moving down to nibble his Adam's apple as he thought that over. Mattie let her tongue glide down his throat, pooling at his clavicle. His stubble grazed her tongue, the sensation delightful and by the sound gathering in the back of his throat, so did he. The shirt he wore prevented her tongue roaming any further; she went to push her hands up the hem.

BANG

"What was that?" Roland asked. She shrugged, her hands frozen at the waistband of his faded jeans.

BANG.

"That better not be Thor crashing around down there." He said leaning up on his elbows.

"No. You don't hear downstairs up here, just as downstairs won't hear up here." She said with a wink, "This is something else."

Roland touched her cheek once more with his warm hands, "We should go see, this place will be here when we get back." It was not a question. She nodded and let him rise. She walked to the door, rearranging her dishevelled skirt, before stepping into the corridor. Roland followed a moment later, both guns strapped to his hips once more, hat fixed back on his head.

BANG

"Name of the Twelve what IS that?" Mattie hissed as they headed to the stairs.

"This place ever been attacked?"

"Never, it can't be. Every time there is a threat, it moves itself away. It's part of the magic of the place as far as I know." She replied. He caught her arm before they reached the stairs and pulled her back to him. He kissed her something fierce. Blood flushed to her face and she stepped into him, warmth thrummed through his body where it pressed against her. He released her as suddenly as he had seized her and descended the stairs without another word, leaving her there, more than a little dazed. Shaking her head clear, she followed him down the stairs and into the common room where everyone was standing staring at the door.

The door was gone.

Mattie glanced around the inn's common room, taking stock of who was in the place; 'Zak, Vincent, Thor, all three of them sober and looking at the empty doorframe. She spotted Nathaniel, the quiet priest of Tyr, standing with a deep frown on his face. Her head cleared, a noise that she's long ceased to hear, silenced, she reached in and touched her magic. The effect that blocked it was gone. Roland standing next to her drew both guns, Vincent unsheathed his swords, 'Zak had a knife in hand and even Nathaniel had joined them, a nasty looking blade in his hand. Thor raised his huge hammer into the air and bellowed. Then they were running, exploding through the door. What met them was nothing she'd ever seen before. Hundreds of winged monstrosities swamped the green fields surrounding the inn, some hung in the air like giant wasps waiting to sting.

"What is this?" she whispered.

"Valkyries. Or perverted ones anyway." Thor answered. Mattie watched as Thor's hammer began to glow a pale blue, not unlike Roland's eyes she noted. "These are servants of my brother Loki, they are here for me." He said.

"You can only go if you want to." Vincent said.

"You're friends are with you." 'Zak added.

Mattie took a deep breath and formed the flicker of a flame on her hands, "You're telling me they're trying to force you away from here?" Thor nodded, "No, that's not how this place works; you can only leave when you will it." The fire on her hands built as she spoke, she could feel the heat crackle on her cheek, drying her throat. The hammer in Thor's hand began to spark, the sky darkened, the wind picked up. Mattie would have shivered but for the inferno at her fingers.

"The time for talk is over." It was Nathaniel next to her. She looked as the corrupted beings began swaying towards them. Mattie thrust the inferno forwards. KA-BLAM! Next to her, Roland's huge guns began to do their own talking. Thor pointed Mjollnir at the flying creatures, lightning arced between one and another, jumping, filling the air with the stench of singed flesh. Then he charged into them, Vincent, 'Zak and Nathaniel followed, crying out their own cries as the creatures were engaged in battle.

Thunder cracked over head as they broke onto the wall of beings. Mattie formed smaller scorching flames now, firing them off before they could get too big. It would not do to hit any of her own people. Roland's guns cracked next to her, splitting the air with their war cries. She took a glance at her new companion, his face was a cool mask, his hands were set to their task, his mind appeared elsewhere. Where they go, death follows. His words in her head as she fired another fireball. Was it so different from her own hands? She let the next ball form bigger and she directed it at a flying monster. Its wings afire, it plummeted to the ground, crashing into one of its companions, smashing it to pieces as it skidded to a halt.

"Vincent!" she shouted, "Look out." She formed fire as she shouted, launching it at the creature that would have torn Vincent in half. She struck it in the chest as the assassin's blade appeared through its back. She didn't know whether he had planned that or not. He nodded before slashing the next creature with his other blade. 'Zak looked as though he was faring little better. She knew he was no fighter like his companion. He had a deep cut on his forehead; the blood flowed into his eyes, blocking his view. Mattie reached into the thick hem of her skirt and ripped a strip off. She ran to 'Zak and flamed the creature he was fighting. It stumbled backwards into another of its kind giving them the moment they needed. She slung the bandage around his head, tying it as fast as she could. 'Zak smiled, tossing his thick braid out of his face before re-joining Vincent; he was nothing if not determined.

Nathaniel held his own. She'd heard rumours about the priests of Tyr but never really believed them. Nathaniel had always been quiet and kept to himself, he'd never hurt anyone as far as she knew. Now she knew better. The strokes he made were sure, well trained and every bit as deadly as Vincent's were. She formed another ball of flames and launched it into the midst of the creatures. The seemingly endless amount of things had lessened at least. She turned to Roland; about to warn him of one coming at his back when he turned and blew the things head away. What was left was a mix of brains, skull and hair.

Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers