Starfinder: The Jade Regent Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ami. Do you really think you're going to be able to cope with this alone better than with the people who love you and will be at your side no matter what you choose to do with this information?"

Xata looked after the apparently-confirmed Princess Ami with curiosity and a certain envy. Perhaps learning about yourself was a mixed blessing after all. Sam was a little shocked, to say the least. A really bad poem she played to herself when they first found the coin, a joke in of itself, was coming back to her mind in full force.

As they clustered around the ladder and the hatch, the sound of Ami's crying paused. Then a muffled voice called through. "S-Stop being so r-reasonable, Hana!" she said, her voice thick. "I'm n-n...I'm s-some princess! O-of a...an Empire I barely know anything about! P-People died for me! I...gods, people died and killed each other! Because of me!"

"And they didn't know you like we do. Imagine how eager they would be to do so if they met you. Ami.. I have my opinions on what you should do, but.. ultimately it's your decision. If you decide to ignore it, we'll all go out and get drunk enough that maybe we do. If you decide you want to pursue it, then we will follow you from the Sun to the Stranger and back again to make it happen."

"And you...never really had the choice Ami. You can't blame yourself for that. They made their choices to protect you and still succeeded." Nora added after a brief hesitation. Xata finally piped up now. She was still sitting exactly where she had been, looking at where the images had played out.

"Miss Ami. If you will permit me. Even though I barely know you." Xata stood up.

"Miss Woodwise, please do not open this bag in my absence. It needs to be handled with care." She said and tapped her foot in the direction of the industrial pack that was set on the floor. Standing up she stretched and then started making her way for the exit of the building. "Be back in a moment."

"O-Okay?" Ami called through the hatch - sounding less like she was crying openly now, more just...sniffling.

"What happened in the past was the past, and there's something to be said for the past," Rakain said. "But we're all here for you, here and now. Aren't we more important than some abstractions from a life you can't remember?"

Xata, having walked to the underside of the hatch, resumed speaking: "I don't have much to compare with. I know nothing about people yet, or can remember nothing. But for what it is worth, the infosphere contains extensive data on the commonality of people dying for other people and causes. For reasons they hardly know. I came here following nothing more than an instinct, and nearly died for that. You are part of a... unit here, it seems to me the heart of it. It does not seem so bad that people could have died for you." She frowned. "I am not sure that came out quite right."

"Nah, I think we get it," Hana said, nodding to Xata. "You need to make the most of the life you have to honor the sacrifices of those who came before."

"Yes!" Xata grinned. "That's it.""

Ami snorted, quietly. "Y-You're much better at being a robot than Hana is..." She said. The hatch opened and she looked down at them, wiping her face, her eyes puffy and red. "S-So...what do we do?" She asked, dropping down to land between Hana and Rakin - easily within hugging distance. Hana pulled Ami into a tight hug, "I'm an awesome robot. Look, engaging hug protocol!" She hugged Ami again, tighter this time. Ami squeaked as she was hugged, her cheeks bright red. Rakain joined the hug, his arms big enough to wrap around both Ami and Hana all at once. He said nothing, just rested his scaled cheek atop Ami's head.

"Huuuuugs." Nora said, gesturing to Hana and Rakain as they where closer. She then bowed to help lift Bentha up so she could help join in on the group hug with her adoptive daughter. Bentha, looking very irritated to be in a hug, joined said hug despite it, her arms touching Rakain and Hana and Ami as they all hugged one another.

It was about this time that Sam strolled back into the building, looking rather relaxed and less tense. "Guess I missed the moment?" She asked with a bit of a smirk.

"Get in here and join the hug!" Rakain commanded Sam.

"Not yet! Hurry!" Hana giggled.

Sam chuckled and jogged over to join them in the embrace.

"But seriously, I think maybe the first thing we need to do is get a ship so we can head to Absolom Station.." Hana sighed, leaning her head on Ami's shoulder as Sam's arm wrapped around her back. Xata was pulling her violin out of its case, watching the group hug with her circuits glowing warmly.

"There is perhaps something we should do before going to Absalom Station," she said, nodding.

Bentha, pushing away from the group, shook her head. "Well, that ship was moving through the Diaspora...that means they were attacked by pirates in the Disaspora. Absalom keeps tabs on pirate attacks...so, if you go through the records over the past eighteen years, you could find the site where the ship got attacked, then work it backwards, then find where the pirates took the cargo...that...Legacy they talked about. Having a ship would help."

Hana snorted. "That's why I suggested it." She whispered in Ami's ear, causing Ami to giggle.

"Any idea where we can get one?" Rakain rumbled, nose still buried in Ami's hair and arms still enfolding as many of his friends as possible in the hug. Sam nodded and took a step back, allowing more people room to breathe.

"Xata, you were thinking?" she asked at the same time Hana said: "What were you thinking we need to do first, Xata?"

"Jinx," Sam said, grinning.

"Everyone's biting my lines today!" She threw her arms up in the air. "At least you had the good graces not to say it after me." She smirked at Sam.

Xata shrugged. "I was thinking we are adventuring companions who have just survived great peril together. Perhaps we can save the planning for tomorrow... and celebrate tonight? I can't speak for my fellow beep-boop" -- she was growing inordinately fond of this phrase -- "but I know my Party Subroutines are engaging very fiercely."

"I honestly could do with a good rest. Grab some supplies and get to work tomorrow...honestly that sounds wonderful," Nora agreed after a moment, beaming at Xata as she moved back to her own seat. Ami smirked, slightly.

"I-I could stand for a party..." she said, sniffing loudly as she did so, wiping her eyes with her thumbs. Bentha sighed, dramatically.

"If you kids want to party then...I should go and call my friends..." She stepped back slightly. "You need a ship. I have a friend who has a ship. S-Seems...logical. Right?"

Hana snickered, "Well, we were trying to talk of light, airy topics like ruling a long lost empire, not serious stuff like parties." She said, nodding sagely, her arms crossed over her chest.

Nora blinked in surprise, chewing her lip a little as she watched Bentha. "Really? They'd give you a ship? Who are you such good friends with?"

"Flawlessly logical, Lady-in-Waiting Bentha Woodwide," Xata beamed at her. She seemed not the least bit surprised that someone might want to give Ami (through her adoptive mother) a ship. She began to tune up her violin.

Sam nodded in agreement with everyone. "Miss Woodwise, would you happen to know a person that would be interested in the purchase of an active power crystal?" She asked, figuring why not? Her fingers drummed along her industrial backpack. Bentha snorted, quietly.

"They won't give me a ship. But Vihski and Kerritan might be willing to fly you, at least. Assuming they haven't gotten themselves killed since I talked to them last," she muttered that last bit.

"Oooo, they sound fun," Rakain cackled.

"So...I'll go," Bentha said, then smiled ever so slightly, her pointed ears lifting. "And you kids? You have fun." She turned and left - as Xata's violin started to fill the air with music. While there may be dangers ahead and mysteries abounding, all of them knew that they would be able to face it.

Together.

TO BE CONTINUED