Still Waters Ch. 02

Story Info
Dealing with a devastating truth.
4.8k words
4.8
7.2k
5

Part 2 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/19/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,293 Followers

As I write this story, I can only use my experience to convey how the characters feel. I'll never forget that night, and how everything was so still. It has taken me a year to write again, but this is what I do. Thank you all for not giving up on me.

Evangeline and Declan are a special couple and this hopefully will help you understand the significance of their relationship.

AN: All of the characters are above 18. Please read and share your thoughts.

Chapter 3 will be written as soon as I get a break.

*****

Bertha and Evangeline went home. It was so quiet. It was always quiet unless momma was fussing about something, but tonight it was eerily quiet.

Declan knew it might not be proper, but he needed to be with Evangeline. He went straight to her house. Unless Evangeline told him to go, he was not leaving. Declan, I'm coming. Deacon sent. Declan sighed.

Walking with a purpose, the fair were approached the home of Willie and Bertha DuPont. Many wolves watched and wondered if this was wise. Ryelle sent a command. No one was to interfere with Declan and his mission. Evangeline needed him. They stood down.

Evangeline sat in the front room by her mother. Bertha was simply stunned. She just stared. Evangeline, in her own pain, feared for her mother. Would she lose both parents tonight?

Then someone knocked. Both women faced the door.

Evangeline opened it and her heart raced at the sight of her mate. She needed him here. She needed his strength. But if momma reactive negatively, she'd ask him to leave.

Bertha sat. She should have been furious that this man had the gall to come to her house. Now was not the time to woo his mate. But then she saw the steel in his eyes. He was here for Evangeline. She was his to protect even if it was from her, Evangeline's mother. Bertha knew. She was wrong. She as so wrong, and now it was too late to admit this to her mate.

Tears began to fall, slowly cascading down her cheeks as she realized the finality of it all. All her mate wanted was to see his daughters happily mated with men that loved them, and she denied him that right where Evangeline was concerned. She not only failed her daughters, but she failed her one true love as well. Her chest began to hurt, but she would not allow Evangeline to know.

"Evangeline, invite your mate in." Declan entered. " I apologize that it's at a time like this that we invite you into our home. My mate, my Willie planned to meet you tonight." She stopped mid-sob, and turned to go to her room. Declan moved.

Declan pulled her into his embrace. "Mrs. DuPont, it's alright. It's ok. Everything will be fine." He whispered using touch to try and reach this much older wolf that was now completely devastated.

Bertha nodded. "Stay, you two talk. I'll be in our room." She whispered before she walked away.

Evangeline cried, and Declan held her. He didn't know what to say. There was nothing he could say. He simply held her. The hour grew late, and the tendrils of the morning sun began to peak though the clouds. Evangeline had just fallen asleep a few hours earlier in his arms. He gently lay her on the sofa as he decided to try and make coffee at least.

As he stood in their kitchen, checking the cabinets for the remnants of a coffee pot and beans, someone knocked. One of the neighbors came over. She offered to make breakfast for them. Declan stepped aside and let her in. He sat next to Evangeline where she slept, wondering, how, what could he do. He had no answers.

Soon, the small house was crowded. "Young man, go home. Change and rest. I'll watch over Evangeline for you." A kind voice whispered. Declan smiled. If Mrs. Hattie told him to go, then he'd better do what she said.

"Yes, ma'am, tell her I'll be back. OK." Declan whispered.

Hattie smiled. She liked this young man. He was a good person and Evangeline deserved that above all else. For a moment she missed her Suni. She thought of her and Rayan. She would call and let her know, but she would understand if they could not come home.

*****

Meanwhile, Ryelle and Tasha were busy. The DuPont daughters would arrive at any minute. Tasha prayed that for once chaos would not erupt.

As they rose and prepared for breakfast, their son Akeemo entered the room. "Mom, dad, what do you need me to do today? I know you will be busy with everything... I mean, Mr. Willie passing is such a shock." He mumbled.

Ryelle sighed, "We must meet his daughters and their mates. Your mother and I will get them settled. Can you go to the stables and see if you can fill in until we appoint another care taker for the animals?" Ryelle suggested.

Akeemo nodded. He loved going to the stables. Often Mr. Willie would be there and he'd listen to him talk. Yesterday, he visited again, griping about his mom, when Mr. Willie told him to just stop. "Listen boy, you have a few years on this rock. We live a little longer than most, but someday, we must go. Your mother is a great woman, and you dishonor her with your complaints. What if something happened and you lost her tomorrow. Would it matter." He paused. As if he was thinking. "Let her know you love her son. You never know when it will be your last chance."

He turned and went back to work. Akeemo was stunned. Mr. Willie was never harsh, but at the time he was so serious, and now he was gone. Akeemo knew he was right. He told him that you only have so long here and to enjoy each moment as you can.

He stopped, and soon they fed the animals. Soon he had to go, but even he noticed that Mr. Willie was unusually quiet. He should have stayed. Maybe he could have helped him.

"Akeemo, thank you. I know you helped him often, and the animals know you. You make me proud son." Ryelle whispered.

Akeemo nodded and then he looked at his mom. He hugged her. "I love you, and I promise to do better." He whispered.

Tasha returned his embrace. "I love you, too, son." She whispered.

"The girls will be here soon. Let's go eat so we can be ready when they get here." Ryelle suggested

Tasha agreed, and the alpha family joined the rest of a solemn pack for breakfast. Soon, the DuPont daughters arrived.

*****

"'Vange, girl you look so good?" Kina, her older sister, greeted her hugging her tightly. When she left to go to Kingsley with Reggie, her deepest regret was leaving Evangeline and her dad her with Momma. She knew Benia and Lani were home, so she told herself it would be alright. Then her two sisters joined her at Kingsley. She called as often as she could, but she still felt guilty for leaving.

Her next oldest sister, Lani was next, and she greeted her as well with a strong embrace. They were not sure how the next day would go, but Evange was not staying here with Momma. "We gots you, ok?" She whispered.

Screeching and rushing forward was her sister that she remembered getting into all kinds of mischief with. Kina was the oldest and set the rules. Lani was the enforcer, and Benia always found a way around them often taking Evangeline along for the ride. "Look at you, acting like you're grown. I met your mate. Girl, he is fine!" the sister closest to her in age boasted. Her mate, cleared his throat, clearly not liking his mate's roaming eye.

Evangeline laughed. "You're mated, Benia, remember that." She teased.

"My boo, knows he's the only one for me." Benia insisted. "Look, after the ceremony, we have to catch up."

The four women returned to the home of Bertha and Willie. Alpha Ryelle had arrangements in place for all three couples.

Bertha was home and stood as all four daughters entered. She did not speak. She just looked at them. Bertha was quiet. She showed a brave face even before her daughters. Not one tear dropped.

"Mama, come on, sit." Reggie, Kani's husband, took charge. Cam and Kyron waited. Their mates stood and for a moment neither male could feel them through their bonds. Yet, Reggie didn't let the cold, stillness stop the beta that he was born to be. In hs mind, Bertha DuPont was family, and he would care for her.

"Kani, bring Mama a blanket," Reggie ordered. His words spurred his mate forward. Bertha simply followed him on remote. He led her to the large wing back chair and made sure she was comfortable.

Evangeline helped Kani retrieve her blanket, and she took her seat at her mother's side. Lani and Benia were stunned. They'd never seen their mother like this. She seemed broken, scared, and so alone.

"Momma," Lani whispered. "Do you want something to eat or drink?

"No. I'm fine." Bertha croaked.

Benia also was stunned at the state her mother was in. She joined Evangeline and sat at her other side. Her mate, Kyron waited. Love, do you want to stay here with her tonight? He asked.

Benia didn't know how to answer. This was her momma. This woman faced things that would destroy most men. Her mother faced foes that caused many to quake. She's never seen her so weakened.

Just for a little while after the ceremony. She answered.

Kyron understood.

The ceremony was scheduled for noon. She asked for that specific time. Noon was special because that was the time, she took him his lunch. For over many years, they shared a noon day meal. No one bothered them, because they knew noon was hos time with hos mate. She needed this time to say goodbye.

"Momma, are you ready to dress for the ceremony?" Evangeline asked.

Bertha looked at her. She wanted to tell her that she was not a child. She was capable of getting herself ready. But she held back those words. Her daughters, all four, helped her. Kani helped wash her body, and Benia and Lani helped her don her dress. Her youngest daughter, her Evangeline, styled her hair. Soon all four women were ready to say their farewells.

The small family walked to the burial pyre. The pack fell in line behind them. The last to join the precession were the alpha family. Each girl was supported by her mate. Bertha was not surprised when, Declan left his brother's side and stood behind Evangeline. This was right. This was where he belonged.

"She stood as the men place Willie's body on his funeral pyre. Alpha Ryelle stood and gave him his last rites. People wept, but Bertha and her girls stood strong. Bertha straightened her spine as the burial pyre was lit. She watched, completely dry eyed, as her mates remained were burned. Someone gave a mournful howl. No one knew what to do. It was expected, as the flames greedily consumed his remains. The top collapsed, and Bertha dropped to her knees. Kani and Evangeline rushed to her and held her up. A sorrowful moan filled the air as the pack cried. Their sorrow palpable.

Soon, as the remains continued to burn, the others began to leave. Bertha did not move.

"Momma, it's getting late. We need to go." Evangeline whispered.

Bertha nodded and allowed her children to lead her home. Ryelle ordered that the remains be collected and when bertha was ready, they could be released in the river. So, Willie's remains were placed in a black and golden encrusted urn. Alpha Ryelle ordered the urn to be placed in the vault at his home. Tasha took his hand. She knew this took a lot out of her mate. She sent him a shaft of love and he returned her embrace.

Evangeline stayed with her mother. She worried, but her sisters told her momma would be fine. Evangeline knew that she would not.

A few days later, her sisters and thoer mates needed to return home. As much as they wanted to stay, they had responsibilities at Kingsley.

One morning, as Evangeline waited for Ms. Hattie to come and try to get momma to eat, someone knocked. She was surprised to find Deacon and Declan standing there. "Babe, we are headed over for breakfast. I thought you and Ms. Bertha might want to join us.

Bertha came out and she felt numb. "Ms. Bertha, It' me, Declan, I was wondering if you and Evangeline wanted to go have breakfast with us?"

Bertha didn't answer. "Momma, this young man asked you a question. The least you can do is answer." Kina replied, already annoyed.

Bertha looked at her daughters. She opened her mouth and then closed it. She opened her mouth again, and closed it. Finally she spoke her truth. They were beautiful. "I'm sorry. I was not a good mother. I was to set in my ways. I was too demanding. Willie always told me to calm down, and I'd fuss at him. He never wanted to worry me. He never said anything about being in pain. I checked our bond often and he never hinted that something was wrong. I failed my mate. I failed all four of my girls and y'all are right to hate me. I can accept that. All I ask is that you all look out for each other. She looked at her two daughters, tears in her eyes. Evangeline, go join your mate for breakfast. I'm not hungry and I'll be fine. I'm always fine, right."

She then turned and walked back into her room. Evangeline started to follow when Declan stopped her. "Babe, you need to eat."

"Momma needs..." Evangeline started to argue.

Kina spoke. "She is fine. She just needs time. I'm here and she is not alone. Go, have breakfast. Reggie and I are here."

Benia and Kyron, Lani and Cam, joined Declan and Deacon and they convinced Evangeline to go eat breakfast.

Ryelle and Tasha ate and saw when the group entered. Evangeline looked extra tired. Tasha knew she was worried about her mother. Tasha also knew that despite everyone's words, Evangeline had a right to be worried.

Evangeline, come see me after breakfast. Tasha sent.

Bertha muted her bonds. Tasha could still feel her because as Madam Alpha she had the ability to override blocks. The pain Bertha was suffering from was unbearable, and Tasha realized this was always true where bertha was concerned. She was always hurting emotionally. The only time it wasn't overwhelming was when she was with her mate. Now he was gone, and bertha was a ticking time bomb. Tasha also suspected if bertha imploded, Evangeline would take the blow hardest of all. She personally placed herself in the position of her parents' caregiver.

Yes ma'am. Evangeline replied.

The group ate breakfast, but Evangeline did not talk. She kept checking her bond with the mother. Nothing. After breakfast, Deacon asked to fill in for Declan and allow him time with Evangeline and her mom, especially since two of her sisters and their mates were leaving.

Evangeline excused herself and went to see Madam Alpha Tasha. When she arrived in her office, Tasha simply hugged her. Kas was there and the other woman who everyone considered so tough broke down and cried. Her heart broke because Willie DuPont was one of the few that never made her feel different. Evangeline wept softly and allowed her Madam Alpha and Her beta to comfort her.

"Momma is not doing well. I know people see her as difficult, but this has thrown her. I've never seen her like this." Evangeline confided.

Tasha nodded. "Evangeline, let me and Kas help. We will do everything we can to help, ok."

Evangeline nodded, but she had no idea how these two would help her mother. The only person that really understood her was gone. Her dad was able to get through to her mom even when she was at her worse.

Love, can you stop by Bertha's? Evangeline is here and she is very worried. Tasha sent to her mate.

Ryelle never went to Bertha's home. When he was a pup, he and his siblings knew which wolves not to bother. He reached out to her and grew alarmed. Bertha DuPont needed to be watched. He was stopping by. "Damian, Jebutu, we need to go see Bertha DuPont."

His brothers froze. They supported their brother's every move and if he said this then he needed them to go with him.

Reggie knocked at his mother-in-law's door. He knew she was not every find of him. As a matter of fact she did not like any of the males her daughters mated with. "Ms. Bertha, I made you a sandwich. You need to eat something. You have not eaten since we arrived and that is not good." He called.

Bertha looked at the door. In the solitary confines of her room, she cried silent tears. She did not answer at first, but Reggie was not leaving. "Ms. Bertha, please, open the door."

Bertha stood and wiped her face. She opened the door and reached for the small plate. Reggie gave it to her, but before she could close the door in his face he said something that stopped her.

"He loved you. The day, Kina and I mated, you kicked her out. I was furious. I've never seen a wolf so adamant about protecting his woman as he was that day. He would die for you, Ms. Bertha and he would not want you to cry alone by yourself like this. I know I'm not what you wanted for your daughter, but I am your son. As your son, I will be here. I will protect you. You are not alone. Just, let us in a little. You don't have to do everything by yourself." Reggie concluded. Bertha closed the door.

He joined his mate. "We can't leave. She needs us to stay here."

Kina looked around. "What about the kids. We need to go home, Reggie. You know they need us there and your parents can't keep watching them."

Reggie sighed, "Then we go get them and bring them here. I'll talk to Alpha Ryelle. Ms. Bertha needs us and we're staying."

Kina was confused. For some reason, Reggie seemed determine to stay here. She came home to say good bye to her father. She had no desire to deal with her mother. Bertha DuPont was not some helpless little old woman. She was mean, spiteful, and she had an awful bite. She never wanted to expose her pups to her viciousness. "Babe, you don't really know her. Remember how she treated you when we decided to mate. She can be pure meanness."

Reggie sighed, "So that's where you get it from. She's strong. She's a fighter. We are Kingsley and we take care of our family. She is family and until she can care for herself, we stay here."

Kina sighed. She tested her bond with her mother and found it closed off completely. She looked at her mate. He was adept at reading others. If he sensed something was wrong, then they needed to stay. Lord help her deal with Momma if she went off the deep end. "Ok, let's go get the kids." At that moment, the alpha and his brothers knocked at the door.

The alpha and his betas entered. Reggie greeted them and Ryelle sent to Bertha. She did not respond. "Do we need to place her on watch?" he asked.

Kina and Reggie shared a look. Bertha's lack of response to her alpha was scary. Evangeline was here, but she had too much on her already. She needed help. Kina nodded and Reggie spoke. "For a night or two. We will be back. We're going to get our pups then come and stay here with her and Evangeline for a while." Reggie explained.

Ryelle nodded. "Is this ok with Jamal?" He would contact his nephew directly to gain permission for them to stay if necessary.

"He understands and has already granted permission." Reggie replied.

Ryelle nodded, relieved. He then walked over to Bertha's door and knocked. Using an alpha command, he called Bertha out of her room. His command barely worked, which worried the alpha even more. "Ms. Bertha, I want you to come with me and stay at the alpha home for a few nights. I don't want you staying here by yourself. I'll have some of the thetas along with your daughters to come a clear your home for you.

"No, no one touches his things. No one, just me." She whispered.

Damian and Jebutu shared a look. "OK" Ryelle agreed, "But you must rebuild your strength." He gently placed his arm around her shoulders. It was then he realized how frail, and small she really was. He looked at his brothers, and they nodded. Willie might be gone, but Bertha was not alone. She had her pack. She had Jackson. "Come with me." Ryelle whispered, and the older wolf complied.

Bertha stood and the alpha took her with him to his home. He informed Tasha who relayed a message to Evangeline that for a few nights, they would look after her mother.

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,293 Followers
12