Storm of Shadows Ch. 07

Story Info
Choosing sides...
7.8k words
4.85
26.3k
49

Part 7 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 05/26/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,488 Followers

Dara watched Kothari leave, secretly relieved to see his panther. For the moment at least, she knew she could leave her friend to his own devices and concentrate on helping the decimated pack members whose needs were greater. She would deal with Kothari when he returned, whether it was her friend or Agony who was in dominance. She wasn't sure what she would actually do if Agony won the dominance battle, but for now, it wasn't an issue.

What was an issue was the she-wolf who was quickly going rogue. There had to be a way to help her, Dara's pack instincts demanded that she do everything she could for the other woman. If she went rogue...well given the surprising development with Kothi, there could be no way that he would be the one to put the she-wolf down. That job would fall squarely on Dara's shoulders, and it wasn't something she wanted to contemplate.

Pulling out her cell phone, Dara hit the third speed dial number and waited for the call to connect. She couldn't resist a small smile at the surprise in Aaron's voice when he answered.

"Dara? Is everything okay? Were you looking for Rafe?"

The Armand- Hanlon second in command always had pack hierarchy in his mind. This was her first check-in call since arriving in Europe and his expectation that she meant to call their Alpha was understandable given that fact.

"It's you I need, Aaron," she answered, her troubled gaze on the distraught woman and her equally upset child, who was calling to her mother to no avail. "This is an emergency and not a check-in call. I'll update Rafe very soon, but for now I need to know how I can stop a she-wolf going rogue. Her mate has just been killed and she's slipping away fast."

Her uncle was immediately in head beta mode, his tone calming despite the gravity of the situation. "Does she have any children nearby?"

Dara was relieved that he didn't ask any unnecessary questions. "Her daughter is with her but she's human and grown. Her presence is having no effect on her mother, and at the moment the girl is pretty distressed, so I can't really ask her if she has any wolf siblings."

Aaron sighed loudly, and she could just imagine the saddened frown on his face when he spoke. "In that case there is probably nothing you can do, sweetheart. Sometimes a child can pull a she-wolf back from the brink, but if she won't acknowledge her grown daughter then it doesn't look good."

It was the last thing she wanted to hear and Dara felt her heart sink at the thought of what would likely be next to come. Kothi's mate was going to be difficult to deal with if they had to perform a mercy kill, which could be disastrous for all of them when he returned. "Aaron, there has to be something we can do. I can't explain right now but it's crucial that I save this wolf."

"Are there any other children around? They don't have to be related, just part of the pack. I remember reading once that a she-wolf survived when she connected with another's child and considered the boy her own. It was difficult for the mother but once the she-wolf regained her senses, she realised the child belonged to another and there was no lasting harm to anyone involved."

There was only the child in the tent that Dara knew of, and the area was still being sanitised by Louis and his coven. Bringing the girl out of the tent would risk traumatising her but if she didn't, then they could lose the grieving wolf. She was between a rock and a hard place, and she knew she really didn't have much choice. "Thanks, Aaron, I will see what I can do. Tell Rafe I will check in shortly, once I deal with this emergency."

"Take care of yourself, sweetheart."

Dara ended the call and turned to the girl and her mother, kneeling close by but not too close as to distress the human girl further. "Sweetie, I need to try to help your mother, and to do that I need your help."

"You just want to kill her!" Natalia yelled, her arms wrapped around her mother protectively. "I heard you...you and that monster. Stay away from us. Leave us alone."

Dara could understand her distrust but they really didn't have a lot of time left if they were going to save the she-wolf. She had to try to gain the girl's trust and if not, then they would need to restrain her to keep her out the way.

"I won't lie to you, honey," she answered, her tone sad as she confirmed the girl's worst fears. "If we cannot pull your mother back from the brink of insanity, then we will be left with no option but to release her from her torment before she can harm countless other innocent souls. I do want to avoid that if I can though. My uncle has managed to save two wolves from going rogue in the past, and he thinks that if we can get your mother to connect with a wolf pup then it could be enough to anchor her here with us."

For a long moment the girl ignored her, and then she looked up, her eyes filled with tears. "When Papa saved her life by turning her to a Were, I was enough for her to fight to stay sane. It seems I am not enough anymore...I am not enough."

It was the last thing Dara was expecting, and she looked more intently at the young girl, surprise crossing her face when she realised that what she had just assumed was the young one being overwhelmed by what had happened, was in fact not as intense as she'd presumed. Yes, the girl was plainly upset as she'd just lost her father and pack members and her mother was beside herself with grief, but she wasn't so far gone that she couldn't see the basic fact that her mother wasn't acknowledging her own child.

She quickly processed the information she'd received and reached a hand out tentatively to touch the girl's shoulder. "Your mother was human when you were younger, sweetheart. This time it is different because she is a wolf as well as human, and it is the wolf part of her that is grieving the loss of her mate. I am sure you understand what that means for a wolf, how primal that instinct is, how it can overcome everything. It isn't that your mother doesn't love you or want to stay here with you, honey. It is her wolf that is in control now and it is to the wolf that we must speak and connect with. She needs a wolf pup, and there is only one here that I know of."

Her words appeared to penetrate the girl's misery, understanding registering in the depth of her eyes. "Pippa is only about five and she's already lost her parents today. It would be cruel to submit her to any further anguish and death. Mama wouldn't want her to be put through a further ordeal; she would rather die than see a child be hurt."

"Pippa is a wolf, honey, and adaptable and strong," Dara countered, knowing that despite living in a pack her entire life, the human girl would still presume human feelings to the situation. "No, it won't be pleasant for her to witness the aftermath of this attack, but her wolf will automatically seek to comfort your mother, and with luck, your mother's wolf will seek to do the same. They could help each other, and save each other, but I need you to talk to the child, as I will likely be seen as a threat to her. It's your mother's only chance. We have to give her this chance, sweetheart, as the alternative is untenable."

She watched the myriad of emotions that crossed the younger woman's face, praying that she would come to the correct decision and quickly. Time was running out for the she-wolf, and for Dara too.

*****

Natalia could see the logic to Dara's words, but it was hard to ignore her protective instincts towards Pippa. All her life her mother and the pack had shown her what it meant to be pack, how the adults had to protect the young at all costs. Even though Pippa wasn't a part of her pack, she was just a child and therefore fell into the category of juvenile to be taken care of. If she allowed the experiment to go ahead, Pippa could be scarred for life, however if she didn't, her mother would surely die. It was an impossible position to be in and yet, she was really the only one left who could make the decision.

Natalia tried to think logically, tried to work out the pros and cons of the situation, but in the end, it was a child desperate to save her mother that won the internal debate of right and wrong. Papa was already lost to her, and she would need to deal with the grief of his death at some point, but for now, she had to do what she could to save her mother. If she lost her too...Natalia didn't know how she would survive the double blow. It did cross her mind that Pippa had suffered the same heart-wrenching scenario only a handful of hours ago too. If what Dara said had any merit, that this course of action could help Pippa too, then surely it wasn't so selfish to see what happened?

"Pippa, honey. You can come out of the tent now," Natalia called softly, moving to the opening to protect the child from as much of the gore in the campsite as she could. "Try not to look around you when you come out, sweetie. Just look at me."

There was a moment's silence and then the tent flap opened and the little blonde girl peeked outside. "Tali, I'm scared..."

"I know, sweetie, but try to be as brave as you can." Natalia held out her arms and sighed with relief when the child cuddled into her, hiding her face in the crook of her neck. She held her tightly, stroking a hand down Pippa's back in a soothing motion. "You know a bad thing has happened, don't you, honey?"

When she felt Pippa nod and heard her whispered "Yes" Natalia continued, "We lost most of the adults of the pack to a vampire attack. The only one who has survived is my mama, but she has lost her mate and is close to turning rogue. Do you understand what that means, Pippa?"

"You lost your papa and your mama is going to die too."

Natalia stifled a sob at the quiet words, the stark truth of them threatening to shatter her heart completely. "That's right, sweetie. Mama is very sick right now, and this nice lady here thinks that you could help her. Do you think you could be brave and strong enough to try?"

Pippa looked up at Natalia, her eyes round with surprise but also fearful. "I can?" The words came out on a trembled, whispered breath. "What would I need to do?"

Dara knelt down beside them, smiling reassuringly at the young child before turning to look at Natalia. "What is your mother's name?"

"Ava."

The Vârcolac nodded and then turned back to the child. "Hi Pippa, I'm Dara. I know you're very frightened right now, and I am so proud of how brave you've been so far. I am from a wolf pack too and I know if you were part of my pack, my alpha would tell me that you are going to grow up to be a fine, strong beta." Her words brought forth a hesitant smile, and she kept her tone soothing as she continued. "Ava is very sick, Pippa. She's lost her mate and she is going rogue. Do you know what that means for a wolf?"

The child nodded, her haunted gaze turning sadder if possible. "My uncle went rogue a little while ago. Papa had to put him to sleep forever so he didn't hurt anyone. I don't want Ava to go rogue. She looks like Mama a little, and she was nice to me."

The little girl's admission broke Dara's heart and she had to swallow hard to keep in a muffled sob. The poor child had been through so much in her very short life, she hated having to ask this monumental task of her, one they had no idea if it would even succeed. "We want to try to help Ava, honey, so she doesn't need to go to sleep forever like your uncle. We think if you let her cuddle your wolf for a little while, that she will remember what it means to be part of a pack and she will want to look after you. Do you think you could try to do that, Pippa?"

Big blue eyes stared at her, doubt mirrored in their depths. It was clear this was too much to ask of the little one, and the last of Dara's hope of saving Ava started to wane.

Then, Pippa nodded her head slowly, turning to look at Natalia. "Don't cry, Tali. I'll let your Mama cuddle me as much as she wants." She shifted into wolf form the moment she stopped speaking, and rubbed herself against the crying she-wolf, yapping for attention.

Dara and Natalia both held their breaths for a long time, watching the pup yap and nip at Ava for what seemed like forever, and then a miracle occurred...the she-wolf gathered up the pup in her arms and began rocking back and forth.

"Shhhhh, little one," Ava crooned, her voice hoarse from crying. "Mama's here. You're safe. The bad vampires won't hurt you."

Natalia let out a strangled sob and Dara gathered the girl close, her pack instincts kicking in, her need to soothe the younger woman's distress driving her. "Let her believe for this moment, Tali," she whispered softly. "Let her find an anchor to keep her with us until she is once more herself. It isn't that she doesn't love you. She will remember you; she just needs a little time."

Dara's words brought some comfort, as did the tight embrace she had wrapped around her. Natalia wanted to be stronger, she wanted to be as brave as Pippa, but she'd just lost her father and now she was a stranger to her mother too. Everything was gone now. The pack was mostly dead, and her family destroyed. The monster had come and the danger she had sensed so strongly had come to fruition. Nothing would ever be the same again, and she didn't know what she was going to do now. Natalia gave into the grief that was overwhelming her, sobbing into Dara's embrace.

*****

Kothari ran, his paws flying over the forest floor as if all the shades of hell were after him. He had to run, had to try to escape the enormity of what had almost just happened. How could he? How could Agony have been so blind, so out of control that he hadn't been aware of what was right in front of him? Agony had to have been aware on some sub-conscious level, as he'd reacted in fury when the vampire had struck her, but that moment had vanished in the midst of his other half's insanity bare moments later, and he had almost killed them all.

He'd almost killed her. Not just the strange girl who had come out of nowhere, but her mother too. It was just like...just like all those years ago when he was born...Agony tried to destroy everything that they loved.

"Stop, Kothari!"

"Fuck off! I hate you! Leave us alone! You're toxic, Agony. All you can do is lash out and destroy everything we hold dear. We are stronger than you. Together we will excise you forever and you'll never hurt anyone ever again."

His beast let out a loud roar, its large head thrown back into the air, momentarily stunning Kothari by its sheer power. When had the animal become so strong? He had always considered it to be the weakest of his hybrid nature, but now he could see it was anything but weak. It was as if the animal had been laying dormant, waiting for the right opportunity to show its hand.

Agony appeared unimpressed, derision lacing his mental tone. "You think you can do what they couldn't do, Kothari? You think you are stronger than the vampire Queen and her King, not to mention our parents? The four oldest, wisest and strongest beings to walk this planet couldn't excise me, boy."

Memories flooded back...moments from his past that he shouldn't be able to remember. Darkness...frantic voices...whispered words with no meaning and the screaming of a new-born baby. He didn't want to remember, he didn't want to know about that time. It wasn't him...it wasn't Kothari then, it was Agony...trying to destroy everything he loved. The panther roared again in fury and the boy's resolve hardened.

"You failed then, Agony, and you will fail this time too. I will do what I must to save those I love even if it means that I become less than what I am." He didn't shout the words out, his tone was quiet and resolved. Though he was confused about the girl with the pack, confused about Dara and how he could be so wrong, Kothari knew without a doubt that his future was somewhere in that decimated pack grounds, that his only hope of salvation lay there. He could have a chance at happiness. He could know that feeling of completeness that everyone else had. He would do what he must to have that life, and he wouldn't let anyone stand in his way.

The steely determination in the words were enough to give Agony some pause. This wasn't the Kothari he knew from before. The girl had changed things and it wasn't the same as his infatuation with Dara. Kothari had a real hope this time, real certainty that something special was waiting for him back at the campground. That hope gave him strength and their animal had that same strength, and this was how they were able to overcome him. Was he the one in the wrong? Should he reassess the situation and listen to them for once? The only way he could know the truth was to be the one to make the decision. He couldn't do that subjugated by his alter egos.

"You will never find our parents without me, Kothari. You know that to be true. You need me as much as you need our panther, more so because I can do what is necessary when we find them. I must be in dominance or you are signing their death warrants. You must choose, boy, who do you want more, our parents or the girl? I can give you both. You can have only one. Choose, Kothari." He played dirty but that was who he was. Kothari had to know the truth whether he liked it or not.

The panther hissed and screeched to a halt, its huge body shuddering with the sudden cessation of motion. "Nooooooooooo!" Kothi screamed inside his head, fear for his parents threatening to overwhelm him. He couldn't lose them...he just couldn't, and he couldn't deny the truth of Agony's words either. He needed the killer that lay within his soul. His parents needed that cold, calculated monster to save them.

"You promise me! You promise me both, Agony." There really was no other way, not if they were to save their parents. The panther hissed again, and the air shimmered around its big body. Kothari dropped down to the forest floor, his head hanging down in dejection as the animal retreated.

"You have my word."

It should have been wrong to trust the monster inside but, until today when he'd lost his reason completely, Agony had always been someone he could count on. He had to do what was right for everyone, even if it meant losing himself again for a little time. "Listen to Dara. If she tells you you're being an idiot, then you are. That should hopefully keep you grounded and less likely to lose control. And don't do anything to hurt the girl, that includes killing her mother. She'll never forgive us if we do that. I want your word on that too."

"I am not some errant child for you to instruct," Agony grumbled, but there was elation in his tone too because he knew he had won. He could accept Kothari's instructions. He could be generous to his vanquished alter ego. "I will do as you ask. Now cede control as we are wasting time. We have to go to Romania. That is where we will find our parents."

It hurt to let go, especially when he had no idea when or even if Agony would let him return. There was a good chance that Kothari would forever be subjugated, that Agony would finally win the endless war they had been fighting since the moment of their birth. "Don't betray me, Agony. Don't kill us both because that is what will happen if you truly go rogue. I am trusting you..." Kothari let go, sinking deep within the recesses of his mind, finding his panther and curling up beside it. He hoped he had made the right decision...he thought he had, but only time would truly tell.

*****

"Has there been any word from Dara?" Lily's hand absent-mindedly stroked her abdomen as she asked the question, her gaze concerned.

"She hasn't reported in officially yet, but I heard she called Aaron to ask how to stop a she-wolf going rogue. She didn't explain what was going on but said she would report in soon," her brother answered, the frown marring his brow a clear indicator he was as concerned as she was.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,488 Followers