Storm World Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RipperFish
RipperFish
2,516 Followers

"Needed that, didn't you?" he said to no one. "Fucking talking cats. What am I going to do with them?" He looked up at another patch of moss on the roof and then opened the water tank again, letting it flow into his mouth as before, but this time he spit the water on the moss. "Can't let you dry out. Don't want to come down here in the dark."

Benjamin shut the water off again then stepped further into the little chamber, disappearing beyond the corner of rock. Ima' Nef'Tn flicked her ears uncertainly, a low, dissatisfied growl escaping her throat in her indecision. With a final lash of her tail she edged along the stone until she could see Benjamin again. He was rubbing a larger cloth over his skin, drying himself. An impressive looking male, tall and battle scarred, she thought, not for the first time. Though his member was now more or less flaccid, its girth intrigued her. A quiet purr rolled unconsciously from her and she clamped her jaws shut, willing herself to make no sound. She had gotten carried away admiring the Human's physique.

"Talking cats," Benjamin sighed and shook his head. "Big one wants trouble. Have to watch him. Motherfucker looks like he could do some real damage. Probably eats a cow for dinner every night."

Ima' Nef'Tn could not understand Benjamin's words, but she listened intently to his tone and observed his body language carefully. Both were more subtle than jZav'Etch. Humans lacked a tail and their ears were too small and immobile to be of any help, but their eyes and eyebrows were far more expressive than she would have guessed. Their body posture was more jerky and often more rigged than jZav'Etch, too. Benjamin seemed to pop from pose to pose rather than smoothly transition the way a male of her own kind would.

She watched as he reached out to a narrow locker that looked as if it had been part of an electrical panel before being installed here. With an unnecessarily hard yank he tore it open, revealing a sheet of highly polished white metal; aluminum or perhaps stainless steel.

"Fuck," he growled at his reflection. "How'd you let yourself get like this?"

He ran his fingers speculatively through his beard, frowning more deeply. His hand went into the locker and came out with the small bag he had taken from the chest in his room. From this Benjamin took a small device. He flipped a switch and it began to buzz.

Ima' Nef'Tn almost stepped into the chamber to stop him, but refrained. She did not want him to cut off his mane, but it was not her place to object.

"Should cut it all off. Shave my fucking scalp," Benjamin grumbled. He lifted the clippers to his chin, ready to sheer through his beard, but stopped and narrowed his eyes. Slowly he lowered the clippers and switched them off. "She doesn't want you to cut it off." He sighed and rolled his eyes. His arms dropped and his posture sagged as if he were exasperated. "I know. I know. She said you should trim it, though."

Benjamin examined the clippers and then his reflection. With a half-smile he muttered in Japanese, "Cut but not cut."

The clippers began to buzz again and Ima' Nef'Tn quivered with anticipation. She had heard him quote her, but would he take her advice? After the first pass of the clippers sheered away more than half his beard her heart sank a little and her tail dropped almost to the floor with disappointment. Benjamin continued to run the clippers through his beard for several Taq'a and gradually she understood he was not going to shave it away. In fact, he was cutting it into a fairly attractive shape. Another soft purr escaped her throat and once more she had to clamp down hard on herself.

"That's better," Benjamin grumbled. "They wouldn't recognize me back home."

That thought troubled him. Back home was a long way off and they hadn't come looking for the Jenny when she hadn't reported in. There was something very wrong with that. Any ship more than thirty days past due should have been reported. Rescue ships should have been dispatched and recovery operations begun.

"They didn't come for us, though," he growled, narrowing his eyes in thought. "Six years and they didn't come. The cats came. Wonder if they have a rescue ship on the way. Maybe they'll give me a lift home."

Benjamin raked his fingers through his wet hair, pulling it over his shoulder. With a grimace he lifted the clippers to begin cutting again and then thought better of doing so.

"Fuck it," he said disgustedly. "Doesn't matter."

With more force than necessary he stuffed the clippers back into the little bag and tossed it into the locker.

Ima' Nef'Tn relaxed a tiny bit and that was a tiny bit too much. Another purr escaped her and she slapped a hand over her mouth feeling foolish.

"I know you're there," Benjamin said and then shook his head. In Japanese he repeated, "I know you are there."

Ima' Nef'Tn ground her teeth and lashed her tail, angry with herself. She had been incautious.

"Apologies," she said and slipped her pistol back into its holster before stepping around the corner. "I did not intend to... trespass."

"Told to keep an eye on me?" he asked and hung the towel on a plastic peg fastened to the wall with some sort of adhesive.

"Commander M'peth qHo felt it best," she admitted. "We wish no harm come to you."

"Been here..." Benjamin pursed his lips considering and then went on, "Been here a long time." He shrugged. "Still alive."

"Yes," she said, not certain what else to say.

Benjamin bit his lower lip, almost as if snarling, but he was looking at the floor, not her. He glanced at her in the mirror and then reached into the locker coming out with a pair of baggy shorts with large pockets on the sides. He glanced at her again before putting them on. Ima' Nef'Tn observed his physique with some satisfaction as he did so and then felt a little shame. It was not proper of her to be so bold with a male she was not intimate with.

"I'm sorry I ran off on you like that," he said and then stiffened, closing his eyes with a frustrated glower. In Japanese he said, "I mean, I apologize for running out of there like that."

"Apology not needed," she said and tried to smile. Her ears laid out to the sides uncertainly and her tail went still.

"Yeah," he grumbled, looking at himself in the mirror again. His eyes shifted from himself to her and he smiled wryly. "I suppose we should get started on dinner."

She was about to reply when Benjamin lunged for her.

*****

"Obviously these are environment suits, but I have never seen this type," M'peth qHo said. The suits were similar to those the Conglomerated Planets used, but these seemed clunkier somehow. The material they were made of was not as smooth or refined, though, it felt light enough. The helmets were oversized and had ablative plates covering the domes. Armored sensor packs were attached almost as if they had been afterthoughts. Looking into the helmet she held she recognized most of the controls, but there were a number that were strange to her. She reached in a finger and touched the power switch. The helmet's visor lit and began scrolling text over its inner surface. Data spooled as she continued to watch.

They had found the cache of suits and some equipment as they had climbed upward towards what they believed was an opening leading to the surface. The sound of the storm had grown considerably louder as they had progressed and there was a stronger current of air that brought many strange scents to them. It had also helped to dry their fur which was fortunate and something to keep in mind for the future. The cache had been left in what amounted to an alcove on the side of the tunnel. Oddly, there were no patches of moss to illuminate this area and they had been forced to resort to their hand lamps for several Jiq'a** before discovering the cache.

"Why would they leave them here, Commander?" Liat 'del Qha wondered. She knelt to examine one of the neatly folded suits. "This one has a name tag. It says Heisenberg, Chemist."

"This one belongs to Ben 'Jamin," M'peth qHo said. She was trying to read the rapidly scrolling text. It seemed to have been written in some strange language she did not recognize, though. Suddenly the text stopped and the HUD came up on the faceplate. Sensors scanned and various readouts were displayed translucently around the edges. She felt so much data would be distracting. Perhaps Humans were better at ignoring environmental stimulants than jZav'Etch.

Liat 'del Qha rose and went to a stack of small crates. She cast her light on a red label with large white lettering and a strange yellow and black, triangular sigil. In her mind she sounded out the two words and instantly stepped back.

"Commander!" she barked, fear scent flooding the small alcove.

"What?" demanded M'peth qHo, her pulse racing at the scent. She was so startled she nearly dropped the helmet in her hands.

"Explosives, Commander," the pilot said and took another step back.

M'peth qHo gulped, trying to get her saliva going again. The fur all down her back was on end and her tail was in a rigid curve. She forced her breathing to slow, calming herself. When she could think clearly she said, "Go back down the tunnel a few Jiq'a. I will investigate. If there is an explosion return to the main chamber and fetch help."

With a quick nod Liat 'del Qha departed hastily. M'peth qHo took a deep, calming breath and let it out slowly. Her muscles relaxed. Her thoughts became more orderly. She edged over to the stack of crates and read the labels.

"Danger. Explosives," she said in English and then peered at another label with black text on a white field. It was smaller than the large red one. She had to wipe a thin layer of greenish scum off of it before the text was legible. "Sounding Charges: Certified personnel only. Do not use in flammable atmosphere."

Sounding charges? she wondered. Her hand went out and opened the clasps on the top of the crate. Nothing happened. She extended a claw and gingerly levered the lid up. Shining her lamp inside revealed two dozen or so small cartons all with the odd yellow and black triangle. She carefully pulled one out and found it was made of a soft material that yielded to the pressure of her fingers. Holding her breath she opened the little carton and examined its contents. A device as long as her finger and roughly three times as thick with one end flaring to twice that diameter sat snugly in the little carton. She slid it out. There was some sort of port on the narrow end and a red plastic cover on the flared end. Another of the yellow and black triangles was printed on the side.

"Liat 'del Qha, it is safe," she called, returning the device to its carton and the carton to the crate. The Pah'Tht peered around the corner and blinked questioningly. "These seem to be for seismic surveys. They are not armed."

"That is good," Liat 'del Qha said, sounding much relieved. "It seems somewhat old fashioned to use explosives for that sort of thing. Why not use a sonic emitter?"

"I do not know," the commander replied as she sealed the crate. "Perhaps they find these easier to produce. Perhaps they have an over stock of these devices. I think we can move on. Let us see if the tunnel will take us to the surface."

"What about the storm?" Liat 'del Qha asked.

"If the winds are too strong we will not venture out." The commander turned and listened to the weather hammering the stone of the hill. "It sounds fierce enough, does it not?"

"Like a Cvetch defending its pride," agreed the smaller cat.

As they followed the tunnel the pitch of the floor gradually steepened. Runlets of water were creeping slowly down the rough stone and the walls showed signs of damp. Flashes of lightning occasionally illuminated the tunnel followed almost instantly by deafening blasts of thunder. The jZav'Etch both jumped and flinched back whenever this would happen. They exchanged looks as if to reassure themselves the other were still there.

When they finally came in sight of the opening it surprised both that the water was not pouring straight into the entrance. Some overhang of rock seemed to shelter the narrow opening from above. Wind whipped and rain lashed, but little of it passed into the tunnel.

"What do you think, Liat 'del Qha?" M'peth qHo shouted above the storm.

"I believe we should go to the opening and have a look out," replied the pilot.

Neither really wanted to, but neither wished to look weak in front of a fellow officer, so together they climbed the slope to the opening. The wind howled and the rain continued to lash, but it was not as bad as they had imagined. This was in part due to a large spire of stone standing close by the opening which deflected the worst of the wind.

"Is that a path?" M'peth qHo asked, shining her lamp along what did appear to be at least a ledge. It seemed to split a short distance from the opening. One path followed the face of their sheltering hill, gradually climbing up around a bend in the stone. The other disappeared over the edge, perhaps plunging down to the shore far below.

"I think it is, Commander," said Liat 'del Qha, squinting into the gusting wind.

"Wait here." M'peth qHo moved out onto the ledge and was instantly soaked again. Though the overhang provided a good deal of shelter it was not complete and the rain was heavier than she had ever seen. In spite of this fact her footing was sure and the ledge she traversed was wide enough that she was not worried about falling as long as she stayed close to the wall. Perhaps a very strong gust of wind could sweep her off, but she felt confident enough to continue.

After a short eternity of being buffeted and drenched M'peth qHo finally made it to the point where the path curved around the stone. She looked back the way she had come and jumped, startled to find Liat 'del Qha had followed close behind her.

"I told you to wait!" she snapped loudly, embarrassed by her reaction.

"I ignored you, Commander," shouted the petite Pah'Tht. "First officer's prerogative when they believe their ranking officer is acting like a fool."

The snarl M'peth qHo was about to voice died as she saw the truth in what her companion said. She began to laugh and Liat 'del Qha joined in a moment later. M'peth qHo patted the Pah'Tht on the shoulder fondly and then motioned her to follow.

The path took them up to the top of the hill of stone to what looked something like a bowl covered with squat, very stout trees and thick vines. Due to the storm they got nothing like a good view of the island from this height. There was only an indistinct red glow in the very far distance. Flashes of lightning showed only snatches of dark forest and a darker sea beyond.

They cast about with their hand lamps, searching for any signs of danger on the hilltop. Given their lack of familiarity with the planet they could not be sure, but it seemed as if there was nothing to fear save the raging storm. This space was beyond the shelter of the overhang and the water was pouring down in stinging sheets rather than drops. The wind seemed to have taken on an altogether more frightening aspect. It was considerably stronger here and its howling was like some monstrous damned soul forever lamenting and hungering for that which it could not have.

"Do we risk further exposure?" asked M'peth qHo.

"We are already drenched again," Liat 'del Qha replied, grimacing as the wind threw more rain in their faces.

"Stay close," M'peth qHo ordered and moved forward.

Leaning into the wind they pushed through underbrush along an overgrown path, finding something like soil under their feet for the first time since landing. It was thin, muddy stuff, to be sure, but it was soil and the feel of it lightened their spirits. Further in the underbrush gave way to a small, circular clearing. In the middle stood a neat row of four stones. At a right angle to these stood three more. The jZav'Etch exchanged a look and then moved to examine them. Characters had been crudely carved into their surfaces.

"Names?" Liat 'del Qha said in wonder.

"And dates," said the commander, recognizing the traditional Human markings. They looked at each other in dawning realization of where they stood.

"These are grave markers," said Liat 'del Qha, straightening and taking a step back.

"Not all of them," M'peth qHo said soberly. "Remember what Ben 'Jamin said. Several of his crew were taken by animals. Some of these are only memorial stones."

"Commander, look!" Liat 'del Qha said, shining her lamp between a pair of the stout trees.

"A structure?" M'peth qHo could not believe it. Why build up here?

As one they crossed the clearing. It was indeed a building of some kind and what was more a nearly deafening howl not part of the wind came from within.

"What is it?" Liat 'del Qha shouted.

"I do not know," replied M'peth qHo. "Let us see if there is a door or hatch."

Lashed by the rain and buffeted by the wind they worked their way around the building. The hand lamps illuminated patches of smooth wall until on the north face they came to a panel with a handle. M'peth qHo turned the handle and pulled experimentally. The door moved but the wind pressed it tight again. She pulled harder and the door swung out a hand's breadth before the wet handle slipped from her fingers and the door slammed shut again. Liat 'del Qha wrapped her small hands around the handle and together they hauled. The door came open and the two scrambled inside the building. The door slammed shut behind them with a resounding bang. They had expected the howling wind to diminish, but it merely changed in stridency. Looking up they discovered the wall was topped by grating that allowed the wind to enter. Near the roof a turbine spun wildly, its blades no more than a blur to their eyes. To one side a bank of computer screens lowered in the dimness.

"A power station," M'peth qHo shouted. Liat 'del Qha nodded her understanding, though she had hardly been able to hear the commander.

They moved to examine the screens, finding power readouts and a series of relay terminals for satellites. One screen displayed the controls for a communications array, but it would not respond to their touch.

"It appears to be locked out," shouted Liat 'del Qha.

"The computer in the cave may be overriding it," replied M'peth qHo.

Liat 'del Qha was about to say something when she saw one of the lowest screens come to life. Data scrolled rapidly over its surface and a chart of some kind was displayed with a moving red line. Suddenly the line spiked high and in the same instant the entire hill shifted under their feet as if orbital artillery had fired a salvo. The jolt was so violent the turbine's howling stopped before going on in a lower tone a heartbeat later. It quickly returned to its former strident pitch, but the ground under their feet continued to tremble. Another powerful jolt shook the hill, interrupting the turbine's howl again. Before it could ramp up once more there came a third jolt followed by a slow rumble. The turbine was not to be silenced, though. It howled almost defiantly at the quake that sought to bring it and the hill down.

The combined noise grew so intense the jZav'Etch could not bring themselves to stay longer even with the hill trembling under them. Again they forced the door, fighting the incredible wind. Outside the sound of the turbine was muted and in the muddy soil the feeling of trembling was less noticeable. Without a word they made their way back through the underbrush to the path leading down the cliff face. They hesitated, fearing another powerful jolt could fling them from the cliff to the sodden forest far, far below. As they stood looking at each other indecisively the trembling of the hill ended and there was only the storm to contend with. M'peth qHo pulled Liat 'del Qha after her. Once around the corner of rock the wind was less and they risked moving faster, eager for the shelter of the tunnel.

RipperFish
RipperFish
2,516 Followers