Stormfeather Ch. 13

Story Info
Who are you, really?
8.7k words
4.67
14.7k
6
5

Part 13 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 07/31/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,932 Followers

**I couldn't find the Latin invocations which might have been in use at the time, so please try to overlook that. ~shrug~ Also, try to bear in mind that certain types of human relationships weren't as out there as they are today. The story is set in 1876.

This chapter is all about who versus what. The Book of Werewolves was written by Sabine Baring-Gould and published in 1865. 0_o

---------------

"Amy," Maeve said, "while Ximena is busy with the doors and windows, I want you to bring the two tall candles here from the big shelf there. Set them here on the table and light them. Miss Sabrina, please bring Ximena's box of cigarillos here and place it on the table in front of her chair."

She looked at Arn, "And Stormfeather, please sit down directly in front of me so that we face each other."

All of them did as was asked, the three younger females casting wondering looks toward the elderly woman. Only Stormfeather did not, as though he knew and was cognizant of what was to come. No one said anything for a few minutes as the two looked at each other, though there was no tension between them at all.

"This is not exactly the sort of conversation that I'd ever thought that I'd be having in my life," Maeve said quietly, "but it's got to be said." She placed the last book on the table face-down before Stormfeather a little carefully, before she reached into her pocket for a few other articles which were in a cloth bag that she drew out and placed on the table as well.

"People vary widely in their temperament, intelligence, knowledge, and ability," she said, "Some are too innocent to know any better, and many are too stupid to care at all about things which can pass by their senses unnoticed -- unless something which they try to ignore confronts them, or bites them on the backside."

She drew another, smaller book from her pocket and laid it down before herself. "Since Amy returned from her trip to bury her father -- my poor nephew -- I saw that something in her had changed. My Amy has been such an important person in my life from the day that her father brought her to me. From her description of her vivid dreams, I learned of you, and though I didn't let on, I also knew that what she'd said must be true.

I knew that you lived and walked the Earth," she said as she looked at Arn.

Amy's eyebrow knitted together instantly, "What do you mean, Aunt Maeve, that there's some old Irish legend about just him or something?"

Amy's question caused Maeve to pause for a moment and consider. But then she laughed, "No, at least none about Arn specifically, though God knows there are plenty enough about everything, I suppose. I only said it badly," she chuckled, "I meant that there was a werewolf abroad, a real one, and that he was here someplace."

"I confess that I didn't know what to do, because I could see that there would shortly come a time when she would feel herself compelled to go to you. I was wrong about the reason, but I was certain that she would go. I argued against her leaving to go back there, but anyone who knows Amy knows that once she's taken it into her head to do something, little things like the reservations of others do not even touch her, never mind cause her to change her chosen path. I had a great many fears.

I wondered if I would ever see her alive again." she said, with a little waver in her voice that the thought of it brought to her, "I wondered if there was someone who I might hire to follow her, thinking that she might need protection, but I knew enough from the old legends that there was likely nothing that could be done, and anyway, there was no one here that I could trust to send who could convince her to abandon her purpose. All that I had were the misgivings and fears of an old woman."

She sipped her coffee and smiled a little uncomfortably. "It caused me a lot of trouble and worry, and so I took certain steps which I believed to be right and correct at the time. I sought to learn about you at first.

She shifted herself a little in her seat to find a more comfortable position, "Now? Well, I have learned a few things about you, her, and myself as well."

She sighed a little, feeling her own discomfort and embarrassment for what she felt that she had to confess. "I made a few hurried trips around town. I went to the telegraph office and sent a cable to the single most reliable dealer of books relating to the secrets of antiquity that I knew and, receiving a favorable reply, I beseeched them to send me what I asked for on the fastest ship that they could manage to have my purchases placed aboard for the purpose. That vessel landed at New York, and from there, my very expensive package was carried via rail by a courier sent by that firm's offices there and delivered to me personally here."

She watched his eyes flick down to the book and then back up to her face.

Maeve nodded, "This is one of the books that I bought. Please turn it over, Stormfeather, and read its title."

"I know what it is," he said, "I can sense it, but though I can speak many tongues which I have had to learn, "he smiled, "I have never learned to read any one of them."

He reached and in a second, Amy gasped as she read the title and he placed his other hand onto hers. "You need to let your indignation pass, Sheena," he said, "It does you no good here and now. Maeve wishes to express her regret and this is her way."

The old woman nodded, "I am very sorry to you both for what I have done, and it's worse for what I was given as a gift afterward. I want very much to ask for your forgiveness, both of you."

Amy felt her anger fade from her and she picked up the book for a moment, looking at the binding. She set it down again and looked at her great aunt a little sadly.

"The Book of Werewolves," she said, "You were seeking for ways to kill him when he got here."

Maeve nodded. "There are things which are for men to learn about and things which ought to remain hidden, but not impossibly so," she said, "lest there come a day when they are needed. This book was published only recently, and it is more of a compendium of tales and happenings in various legends. There is very little here on the ways of killing the subjects of the book -- other than what I might have already known anyway."

"And are they needed now, Aunt Maeve?" Amy asked, "Do you think that Arn needs to be killed?"

"No," the old woman shook her head, "I was wrong. I was wrong for thinking it," she said, sadly. "I was wrong for acting on my own fears, and for preparing to attempt it in order to save you."

She took a deep breath and let it out. "And I was wrong in my assumption that the one who you have wed was something evil. What I have learned is that he is rather more than the tortured creatures that this text deals with."

She looked up into Stormfeather's eyes, "Perhaps most important of all, I have learned that this person is not a something at all. He is someone who has done me a kindness such as no human can.

I worked myself into such a state as the days went by," she said, "It grew far worse when you said that you were going back to your farm. My package arrived, at huge cost to me for the transport of it across half the Earth to my hand. After you left, I worked my worry to ever new heights, since I now had something to read and grow my fear with. I now believe that my attack was caused by that fear and worry and the state to which I took myself in my own anguish."

She smiled, "I think now that it was a fitting and just judgment on me, to lie like that and not have half of my own body under my control. But there was a strange gift hidden in it. I changed, "she shrugged, "I have no name for it, but since I was like that, I was able to see and know many things which I would otherwise never have been able to envision.

She smiled, "As an example, I know that the little braids which you both wear in your hair today is an old custom from far away to show that a couple are newly wed. I'm sure that there's no person or book in this town where I could learn that. I simply know it.

I also know that you and Ximena have an issue between you which must be settled, or there will come a day when your friendship will be at an end. Neither one will want it, but it will come anyway unless her inquisitiveness is satisfied and soon. I don't want that to happen, and at the same time, she must learn what she wishes to know in such a way that neither of these two will be overtaken by their fright because that would ruin more than one friendship and make things difficult for another relationship that I have seen in my mind, for Sabrina has been a friend of yours for so very long."

Amy and Ximena looked at each other, knowing what was spoken of, and yet, not daring to bring it into the open between themselves.

"If it is to be saved," Maeve said, "then please, Amy, go and bring your sketches of the two of you here so that Sabrina knows what she might expect. It would allow a lot of things to begin to be settled."

Within ten minutes, Sabrina had seen all of the drawings, with Ximena explaining the things to her that she knew about. They both looked repeatedly from the drawings to the living couple and back to the sketches again. "You can't really change yourselves to look like this, can you?" Sabrina asked, looking as though she thought all of this sitting in a darkened room on a sunny morning was beyond the absurd.

"He doesn't care what you might believe," Amy said, "but I brought you here offering you a chance to teach at a school that would allow you to because I know that you can. I want you to have a life of your own. While I don't care what you believe, though it might cost me a long and dear friendship, what I care very much about is that you can at least master your misgivings long enough to begin. For that, you'll need to live here long enough to earn a little money before you find a place to live -- if that's what you want to do.

And for that to happen, Sabrina, you're going to have to accept him at least a little bit, and you'll both have to believe me when I tell you that nobody here is in the slightest danger from either of us. It's going to require your silence on the subject as well. So if you can suspend your misgivings and keep the knowledge of it to yourselves, then I'll keep my own about the two of you to myself." She shrugged, "I'd do that anyway. You know how I hate gossip."

"What do you mean?" Ximena asked.

"My aunt just said that she knows about you, though not in so many words. She's not stupid about the ways of the world or its inhabitants, so she won't mind your carrying on in her home. Arn and I wanted a little more wine last night, and I saw no need to bother anyone over something that I could get for myself. So I came downstairs to pour a little more into the pitcher. That took me past your rooms and I can tell you that there's nothing at all wrong with my hearing. The door to Sabrina's room was closed and I assume that it was locked as well, but there is the keyhole, isn't there? And you left a lamp burning."

The women looked at each other and then Sabrina lowered her gaze. Both of them were blushing furiously.

"Stop it," Amy said flatly, "I'm not an idiot either. What's wrong with what you were doing? Not a thing to my eyes, but that sort of thing would be seen as pretty scandalous to most narrow-minded folks, I think. I'm actually a little happy about it, though I can't explain why, exactly. I'm just saying that you have something between you that ought not to be spoken of in this town, though I'm sure it happens everywhere. If you're happy, then I'm happy for you. It's the same with Arn and I, that's all."

Stormfeather regarded Maeve for a moment and then he spoke. "I know what you would ask soon, but I am not certain that it is the best thing to do."

"Everyone has their little problems," Maeve smiled, "and almost everyone has their little secrets. Those who have no secrets at all deserve pity for a life poorly lived. I have my own, though they are long in the past, too far back to even speak of anymore, and they are warm memories to me."

She looked around the table, "Other than myself," she smiled, "everyone here has their secrets alive today. Our two friends here are on the brink of something which they never thought possible, and though it will shift from what was originally agreed upon between them, it will last their lives long, regardless of which men come and go in either of their lives. I saw this days ago, before they'd even met.

Yesterday, I awoke in my bed and I saw you at first, just as you are here. But I knew that there was more to you. Next, I heard the voice of my great niece, Amy. But when I looked, I saw Amy as she can also look now, though she stood at the foot of my bed just as she is here at the time. I could see everything. When I looked back to you, I saw you as you appear in Amy's drawings."

"But," Amy said, astounded, "you didn't look afraid! I couldn't tell that you knew."

"Amy," Maeve smiled, "I'm at a point in my life where nothing matters much anymore, where every breath is a gift, because one never knows if there will be another after that. What could you do to me -- if you were a crazed beast -- kill me? I will pass from this earth soon enough anyway. There's no need for me to fear anything."

"But for all of what you say," Stormfeather said with a small smirk, "you do not trust entirely. You are here now to test us," he said, indicating the objects on the table with his hand.

"Only a little," the old woman said, "Mostly, these things are here so that my dear friend Ximena can believe."

"Not entirely," he smiled, "there is a small pistol in the right pocket of your robe."

Maeve looked down to the tablecloth for a moment. "You're right," she smiled with a shrug when she looked up. "I bought it and had it prepared in my foolishness and fear. I'm a little afraid to pull it out now. I wonder if I can trust myself to just lay it on the table here, or if I'd just , ..."

"An unpleasant thought," Stormfeather said, "it holds two shots, both of them silver-tipped. There would not be enough time to shoot one of us, cock the pistol, and then shoot the other -- and that is even if you do not miss. For my part, do what you will -- as long as you shoot only me. If you even think to shoot Amy, ..."

She shook her head, "No, you misunderstand. I prepared this when I thought that I would only have to deal with you. I know better now for one thing, and I don't want to shoot either of you for another."

"I see," Arn said, thinking for a moment, "Then set me your tests."

Maeve nodded her agreement as she slowly brought out the Derringer and laid it on the table before resting her hand near it. "Lift that book there in front of you, if you can."

"Arn," Amy said, "don't even touch it. I don't care what Maeve believes. Let's just leave. You don't have to prove anything."

He shook his head, smiling at her, "Think."

Amy sat still for a moment, and then she looked at Ximena, who shook her head vehemently, "I didn't ask for this. I didn't know anything about it."

"No," he smiled, "but Maeve and I want to do this to earn your belief and your trust."

"Then what's the pistol for?" Amy asked.

"It is to allow Ximena to feel safe when I change, so that she can see what I look like outside of a picture," he said as he picked up the book.

"Do you know what the book is?" Sabrina asked.

He shrugged, "A holy book to you, "he said, "I cannot read, as I said. Since I do not know any of the words in it, there is nothing for me to fear about it."

"It's the word of God," Sabrina said.

"Your god," he shrugged with a blank look, "If I gave you the words of my gods in your hand, what do you think would happen?"

"Nothing," Ximena replied and Sabrina nodded her agreement.

"Then why are you looking at me as though you expect something to happen because I hold the words of your god like this? Tell me when I can put it down."

After a minute where they all felt a little foolish, Ximena nodded and he set the bible back on the table.

Maeve handed Arn a crucifix. He studied it for a minute, but kept his questions to himself and handed it back.

Sabrina removed a religious medallion from her neck. Amy rolled her eyes but Arn nodded with a smile.

"What am I to do now, Sabrina, put it over my head and wear it for you, or only hold it in my hand?"

Sabrina looked for a moment, "Your neck is too big. Please hold it in your hand."

"I set my own condition," Stormfeather said, as he removed the pendant from his own neck. He held out his hand to Sabrina. "I will hold your symbol if you will hold mine at the same time."

"What will happen to me then?" the girl blinked nervously.

"Not much of anything," Amy said, "the same as will happen to him."

"But how do you know that Amy?" Ximena asked.

Amy shook her head a little sadly, "Listen to me, both of you. You've both known me for a long time. I'm trying really hard to get past what I feel to be something of an insult. The reason that I'm not even really angry is that I think that I can see it from your side. I'm trying to allow you your superstitions. You really need to try to understand how I might feel. I know that this is something that is hard for you to do, but please, if my friendship means anything to you -- either of you, then please try to see past them."

She leaned forward to make certain that she held their gaze, "If this was really such a terrible thing to you -- such a great fear that you hold, then tell me how it is that the two of you were able to stay in this house at all last night, knowing that he was here. He couldn't have been that much of a threat.

When I first mentioned Arn, Maeve told me that what I'd dreamed about was a horrific thing, didn't she? Well, he's obviously not insane, and the horse that he helped to birth is right out there in the stables, so that proves that at least some of her old legends are wrong, since he raised the horse and didn't kill him. Right now, I can see that she's changed her opinion and she's trying to help you to change yours. What will happen if you both trade your religious symbols will be nothing. Nothing will happen."

Before either of them could think of a reply, Arn took the medallion from Sabrina's hand and dropped his own pendant onto her palm. Sabrina recoiled just a little for an instant and then she sat staring at the metal piece. "What is this?" she asked.

"It's a really small hammer," Amy smiled, "it represents one particular god to Arn and through that, it represents all of them. It's not the same thing as the Holy Trinity, exactly, but it's close enough." She reached for both of the symbols, "What do you suppose might happen if they actually touched in my hand? Think one or both would burst into flames or something?"

She transferred Arn's pendant so that she held both. "Oh well," she smiled, "no fire." She handed Sabrina her medallion back and Maeve pulled a small glass bottle from her pouch and set it down so that they could all see the cross on the glass surface.

Amy stared at the thing, "Oh come on, Aunt Maeve, ... really?"

The elderly woman smiled, "I hope that this will be the end of it. This is holy water, drawn from the well and blessed by the padre only a week ago. The bottle is full and the stopper intact."

"What is that?" Arn asked, "I do not understand."

"Another symbol, though it's important," Amy replied, "It's water which has been blessed. I think they'll want to pour some on you to see if you'll melt or something."

"Ah," he said, nodding, "well do as you must then," he smiled.

Ximena took the bottle and pulled the stopper. She shook the bottle at Arn and as she did so, she made the sign of the cross and spoke the words. "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti."

TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,932 Followers