Straight On 'Til Morning

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then he looked at me, asked me to come closer. "Durong, you too. And Louise."

My friend came and stood by my side, Louise by Mary Ann's.

"You were my enemy once, and yet you chose to treat my son with great respect. You call each other friend, do you not?"

"Yes, father," Durong said. "I believe he is worthy of that name."

"And you think he would treat my grandchildren with equal respect?"

"I do, father."

Then the old man turned to me. "This was my son's idea. At first I could see little wisdom in his choice, but now I do. I hope you will consider this, and when it is time, I hope you will let them return – with what you have taught them. The world needs understanding, does it not?"

"It does, sir."

"This was good, but now I feel I must rest," and he seemed to wither before us, and his grandchildren looked first at him, then at me.

+++++

If you live near – or on – the sea long enough, you realize that life is defined by tides, by orbital cycles, if you will, and that all life revolves around ebbs and floods often greater than the sum of their varied currents. You see that each tide is subtly different, too, that no two are ever quite the same, and that there are at least two ways of dealing with the flow. You can work your way against the tide, push against the currents, or you can turn and run with the flood. In time you understand that running with the flood has certain advantages, but you can easily end up on the rocks and spend the rest of your life repairing the damage – so you have to chose your moment well. You have to watch the water, wait for the most opportune time, then you have to strike out into the water and follow your instincts as the current carries you along and, mindful of rocks along the way, reach for the sheltering sky – and the love that waits for your grasp.

I am, of course, not talking about tides.

No, I speak of my Jennifer, who slipped from my fingers once and fell away to other arms. I thought she was my Peter Pan, the child who could stay my rush to responsibility, but I saw her hook just in time. It was you, Paul, who saved me. And you too, Harry.

I speak of my children, our twins, and the day I watched them graduate in Massachusetts, with my mother and father gone, yet with my improbable brother standing by my side, cheering. The day would have never been – had it not been for war, distant, far from home, and a warrior trying to kill me. I would not have watched their graduation in Palo Alto a few years later, nor would I have seen them move into medicine, or been able to help with their return to Hanoi. I would not have been part of an extended family in Vietnam, and would never have known the joy that helping Mary Ann's efforts take root could bring. A simple twist in time, and so many courses altered. And of course, none of it would have happened without Paul keeping me grounded to the pull of Mary Ann's gravity.

And of course I speak of my mother and father, and the swirling currents that surrounded them. I think of my mother holding Jen to her breast in that cabin – they were in that moment twin sisters joined at the heart. I think of the morning I received a call from mother, in New Zealand, telling of father's passing. He had been working on a balky fuel filter, had just asked mother for a wrench, and he looked up, said "Oh..." as life came, and went – and that was it. They were alone then, alone together, but not long after my mother joined him. Sirius remained in New Zealand for many years, under the care of woodworkers who cherished her lines, able men and women who kept her sound while she waited for her master's return.

Of all the currents that swept me along, Mary Ann's was the smoothest. She was my guiding star, my purpose. Not so many days ago I lay with her as she passed, and I held her into the night. With my parent's gone, Paul and Sara too, I am now the only one remaining from that first journey.

Ben was with me on Sirius this morning, standing on her decks together one last time. We had an urn in hand, ashes from five lives mingling in the moment, then we cast their fates to the wind and watched them drift away. We said our goodbyes and I watched him motor ashore, then I went forward and cast away her mooring line, setting Sirius free again. I raised sail, heading north, no idea where we were going, only that go we must. It is time to be off - like a herd of turtles again.

I sat on the deckhouse this morning, where Mary Claire used to sit and dream, and I recalled watching my wife and daughter sitting there one morning, a morning not unlike this one. They were reading Peter Pan, and I heard a little voice say "second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning," and I understood just then. She was my Pan, but so too were they all.

(C)2017 adrian leverkuhn | abw | this was, of course, a work of fiction.

1...345678
  • COMMENTS
16 Comments
Rockh1Rockh1about 7 years ago
Wonderful

A little bit of Fantasia here but otherwise so real I was part of it. Like one other I found my eyes blurring at the last scene. Bravo! Well done. I felt like I knew these people. You were already my favorite. What is up from the top?

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 7 years ago
Another excellent AL story

Thank you for sharing these wonderful stories. It is a joy finding your gems and rereading them.

CurmudgeCurmudgeabout 7 years ago
Thank you

I read your stories slowly so that I can savor the experience. Taking time to think about and react to what I am reading not just be lost in the beautifully constructed use of language. I'll be doing something else mundane like washing dishes or feeding my pets and my mind will be very busy revisiting a scene, a paragraph, or a page of something you have written trying to puzzle out the lessons for me that I find in your work.

Doug the Curmudgeon

SouthPacificSouthPacificabout 7 years ago
Another masterpiece from one of the great writers here

...but could you please write just ONE story where I don't find my eyes filling with tears at the end? Just sayin'... Five stars are never enough.

Show More
Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

The Rehab Following one's dreams.in Romance
Save One Love Adopted daughter helps wounded father find love.in Romance
Irish Eyes His love was betrayed, what next.in Romance
Hero's Reward One brave deed holds the key to unlocking a scarred heart.in Romance
The Promise Promises are meant to be kept.in Romance
More Stories