Studying Abroad Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well you boys must be starving," Mike said with a deep voice. "Have a seat, I'll grab you both a plate." He was older than everyone else, in his mid-fifties by the looks of it with dark grey hair and in great shape for someone his age. In spite of hardened facial features and an intense blue eyed gaze, he had a friendly demeanor that made even strangers feel surprisingly comfortable around him.

Roger sat next to Rachel and Felix and Liam both sat down on Frank's side of the table, still unsure about Rachel's feelings toward them.

Liam looked around the room trying to think of something to say to break the silence. "This place is..." he nodded his head as an expression of approval, but really he was stalling until he could think of what to say next. "Nice," he finally added.

"This place is a Shit-hole," Rachel corrected him.

"What do you mean?!" Liam playfully objected. "This is the best dining room on the whole damn planet!"

One of the corners of Rachel's mouth curved up, and her face started to look more friendly. A split-second later however, she was back to being pissed off.

"So what do the cool kids do for fun around here?" Felix started. "I bet you have a ping-pong table," he smiled and nodded at the three of them. "Time to bust out the headband and short shorts and show you why they called me King Pong back in high school."

Mike returned with two plates of steaming mystery food and placed them in front of Liam and Felix. "There you go. Two orders of fine Carmenta cuisine."

They were both too hungry to care what it was as long as it satisfied their hungry. They both took a bite and swallowed hard. Felix feigned enjoyment. "Mmmmmm, delicious."

Mike seemed to be the only one who didn't pick up on his sarcasm. "You like it?" He excitedly asked. "I call that leafy porridge."

After they finished their plates, Frank was curious about how they were going to take care of the security problems. "So what do you two plan to do first?"

"About the Binthear? Hmmm, have you tried asking them to leave nicely yet?" Felix answered.

Frank responded with an annoyed expression, but Liam quickly answered his question. "We should talk with Henry, if we can, before deciding that."

"I doubt he's awake, but we can check," Roger stated.

"I was just about to check on him," Rachel said. "You can come with if you'd like." After they finished their plates of food, she led Liam and Felix into the hallway opposite of the one they came through, leaving Roger, Mike and Frank behind.

"So what's your story?" Felix asked, trying to start a conversation.

"I'm a scientist with some nursing experience... just like most of the other scientist that came here." She didn't say anything after that.

"Not much of a story," Felix stated, a little disappointed.

"Do you ever stop talking?" Rachel asked.

"I think you and Henry are gonna like each other," Felix said with a smile.

Rachel rolled her eyes and turned the corner. "Mr. Sperwell is just at the end of this hall."

They came to a room where Henry was lying on an inclined bed.

Liam noticed his eyes open a little when Rachel touched his arm to examine the IV. "Hey, Grandpa! You know, there's a rumor going around that you're getting too old to ride the teleporting, rollercoaster ride," Liam said. "Apparently flat lining isn't aloud. Sorry, buddy." He feigned a disappointed look.

"Fuck you," Henry said in a low, raspy voice.

"Hey, take it easy, Sperm Whale," Felix jumped to Liam's defense.

"Fuck you too." His expression didn't change.

"Well it's nice to see you still have your sense of humor," Liam smiled.

Rachel smiled and was obviously holding back a chuckle, coming as close to a laugh as they'd seen so far. She turned back to Henry. "He's not joking about the flat lining part. You were technically dead for about a minute. I'd asked how you feel, but I know the answer."

"Not great," he answered anyway.

"Anything particular that hurts the most?"

He closed his eyes and slowly shook his head in response. After pausing and looking at Liam and Felix, he took a deep breath. "Ya know," he said before exhaling, then continuing, "that's just my luck. I die, get a second chance at life, and your two ugly mugs are the first thing I see in my waking moment. Makes me wonder if it was really worth coming back."

"Wow." Liam nodded while staring at Henry with a wounded expression. "That hurts."

"Oh, don't worry, he didn't mean it," Felix said dismissively, turning to Liam. "He's just using comments like that to look tough. If he didn't hold back, the waterworks would start a' rollin, and nobody wants to see a grown man cry, even if they're tears of joy."

Henry glared at Felix and Liam let out a fake sigh of relief. "Thank god. I was beginning to think you were getting irritated with us," Liam said before sitting on the edge of Henry's bed and unintentionally brushing up against his leg.

Henry's entire body jolted with a shock of pain and Liam quickly stepped back. He closed his eyes and pressed his head aggressively against pillow.

Before Henry's pain had subsided, Rachel turned and erupted. "Ok, you two are on the last fucking straw! Get the hell out of here and leave my patient alone!" She practically chased them out of the room and slammed the sliding door behind them. She exhaled in relief before returning to examine Henry.

***

A few hours later Liam, Felix, and Roger returned to the medical center to strategize with Henry, who was hardly less pissed off than when Liam and Felix had been there earlier.

"Well it's nice to see you're awake," Roger began. "I'm sorry to disturb you during your recovery, but we have important matters to discuss that are extremely urgent."

"It's fine doctor, no need to apologize," Henry responded, his voice still deep and raspy.

Roger nodded. "What are your plans for restoring security to the base and surrounding areas?"

"Well," Henry tried re-adjusting his position to sitting. "The Binthear have an army of about 200, and we have maybe four trained fighters, depending on how well your man Scott is trained."

Felix looked to Liam then back at Roger. "And who is Scott?"

"He's the security department, or rather, what's left of it." Roger explained.

Henry continued, "Even with the superior technology and weapons that we have, we wouldn't be able to take on an army of that size."

"Sounds to me like what you're trying to say is that we're fucked," Felix said with a sarcastic tone. His constant sarcasm and lack of reverence for a situation with such gravity was making Roger feel like Felix was looking forward to their impending doom.

Roger slowly turned his gaze from Felix back to Henry. "So what do you propose we do?"

Henry paused for a moment bending his head and closing his eyes. When he opened them again, he looked back at Dr. Brunswick. "We need the Sapphils. They're the only chance we have of bringing an army large enough to have a chance against the Binthears."

"I've told you a hundred times," Roger dropped his head in annoyance, "the Sapphils want no part in a war against the Binthear. They're a peaceful tribe for the most part and considerably inferior to a blood lusting tribe like the Binthear."

"We don't need them to win a war for us. We just need enough soldiers to give us something to work with tactically and enough time for our weapons to give us the advantage."

"Even if that were the solution to our problems, the Sapphils have already moved to another location three days away from here. We couldn't get a vehicle through the terrain to get to them and this area is being patrolled by Binthear. You wouldn't last a day out there without being hunted down by them. They're raised to be killers, it's what they love."

Henry smirked and gestured to Felix and Liam. "That's why I brought these degenerates."

"Okay, if they're capable of fighting Binthear for three days, which they're not, no offense, they still wouldn't be able to navigate their way there, manage their way through the terrain, or even communicate with them when they got there. Have you really thought this through?"

"First of all," Henry started, "you don't know what these boys are capable of. Second of all, I didn't say they'll need to communicate with anyone." Henry watched Roger expectantly.

Roger was returning the stare, but his face was full of confusion and wonder until he slowly realized what Henry was implying. "Oh, no haha," Roger replied with a smile. "No no no no."

Henry raised his eyebrows and tilted his head like he was expecting Roger to change his mind.

Roger realized how serious Henry was and his expression turned more reverent. "No. I can't go out there. I'll be dead within the first hour."

Henry's expression turned more friendly and persuasive. "Come on, doc, you're the only one who can really communicate effectively with them. Well, besides Jeremiah," he added as an afterthought. "But he's weird and kind of a dick."

Roger opened his mouth preparing to argue but paused and failed to think of any good arguing points.

"By the way, that also means you'll be our precious cargo/priority number one," Henry added. "We won't let anything bad happen to you. I'll stay by your side the whole way and Felix will handle the dirty work."

"And Liam," Liam added, obviously looking forward to the trip. "I can handle the dirty work." When he looked to Henry, he realized Henry hadn't told him something yet and his smile disappeared. "Right? Henry? Liam can handle dirty work."

"Liam, with your skill set and experience, I think it'd be best if you stay here and hold down the fort... so to speak," Henry said.

"Ouch," Felix said quietly.

"What, like a babysitter? You transported me over a light year away from Earth to hold down a base that hasn't even been attacked? Scott's been doing a pretty good job Nobody's gotten hurt since they started living inside. Let's let him keep doing his thing."

"We don't know when they might start attacking the base," Henry started, "and I know it's not as glamorous as going out there but you'll get plenty of chances to make up for it. Plus, we need someone more qualified here to make sure nobody else gets hurt before we come back."

Liam hung his head for a few seconds but nodded to show he saw the reason behind the decision and accepted it.

Meanwhile Roger was still uneasy about the idea of leaving the base. "Well we wouldn't be able to just shoot our way to the Sapphils. Any gunshot is going to get the attention of all the Binthear within at least a one-mile radius."

"That's fine, we'll use them as a last resort until we reach Sapphil territory," Henry assured him. "And we have a hunting crossbow we can use too, right?"

"Yes, but we only have one of those. The only other silent weapons we have are blades like knives and machetes we use for cutting through the jungle-esque terrain."

"Not a problem," Felix said, "I've worked with much less."

"Ok," Roger said, finally considering going through with Henry's proposal. "Theoretically, this has a chance of working out, so we can plan on it for now. But what about Lindsey?"

Henry hung his head and sighed, not even wanting to acknowledge the question.

After a moment, Felix broke the silence. "Umm, ya, quick question. Who the fuck is Lindsey?"

Roger looked at Henry again, surprised. "They don't know about that?" he asked.

"They're here to help protect the base, not go on a suicide mission to rescue someone who's probably already dead," Henry answered.

"Still confused," Felix interrupted, trying to be included in the conversation.

"About a week ago," Roger explained, "Andrew and Lindsey went outside with Michael to collect more food and new samples to study in the lab. We knew that Binthear were in the area, but we had no idea at the time how closely they were watching the base.

"After a few hours, Andrew came back covered in mud and blood and he was hardly able to speak. Apparently, they identified the assault rifle Michael was carrying as a weapon, so he was killed before the Binthear even revealed themselves.

"After Michael was killed, two Binthear approached Andrew and Lindsey. We're guessing they were planning on taking them as prisoners back to their camp. Andrew tried to fight back but couldn't do any damage to them.

"He was beaten before he could even inflict a paper cut on any of the Binthear. He was beaten pretty badly and thrown down the side of a steep hill. By the time he got back to base, his wounds from being beaten and hurled down the hill were to severe and he had bled too much for us to save him." Roger kept his eyes closed and inhaled deeply to hold back a tear.

Felix and Liam were silent. They both loved a chance for offensive sarcasm and inappropriately timed jokes, but they also knew how it felt to lose a friend and when shutting the fuck up was imperative.

"You guys were close?" Henry broke the silence.

Roger nodded before opening his eyes again. "Yeah. I convinced him to come on this expedition. We'd been working together for years before coming here. And I knew Lindsey's father. I even promised him personally to keep her safe." By the time he finished talking, his facial expression turned from regretful and helpless to angry.

"I understand your dedication to finding her and bringing her back here," Henry said sincerely, "but we don't even know if she's still alive. You must understand that I can't risk anyone else's life by sending them into a hostile species' camp without even knowing if what they're looking for is even there."

Roger looked down in disappointment, knowing that Henry was write.

"Fuck that noise," Felix said. "If there's a chance she's still out there, we can at least do some recon of their camp. Liam and I can take a peek at their situation tomorrow and find out if they still have her and what their security is like," he said like it was no big deal.

"He's right. Our job is to protect the people here, not just secure the base," Liam added.

Roger started to look hopeful.

"We can't afford to have either of you killed on a mission with shitty odds of success to save one person when the lives of eight other people depend on you," Henry responded, already annoyed again.

"C'mon, Sperm Whale," Felix argued. "You hired us knowing we were reckless professionals. Now let us go do reckless shit professionally."

Henry shook his head. "No. You still don't even know what these things are capable of. You don't know their tracking skills, strength, speed, fighting skills, or intelligence."

"Well this is a pretty good chance to figure some of that shit out, don't you think, Sperm Whale?" Liam pointed out.

"First off, this isn't the main priority," Henry started. "And second, it's not worth the risk. Thirdly, it's my call and my answer is no. Fourthly, stop calling me fucking Sperm Whale."

Felix laughed a little. "It's funny because your last name kinds sounds-"

"I know." Henry cut him off with an unamused and angry expression.

The room was silent for a moment until Felix turned to Roger. "How long until Commander Poopy Pants over here can walk again?"

"That's rich coming from you," Henry retorted, still completely serious.

"Ha! A joke!" Liam said, happy to see Henry even attempting at some form of humor.

Felix faked a gasp and acted surprised. "She told you about that?"

"Damn right she told me," he said, now smirking a little.

Felix slowly turned back to Roger. "Doctor?"

"I would guess eight to twelve hours," Roger responded.

"Great," Felix smiled and turned back to Henry.

"Why you looking at me like that?" Henry asked.

"Liam?" Felix asked.

"Yeah?" Liam responded, already knowing what Felix was going to say next.

"Wanna go do some reckless shit professionally?"

"Yup."

"Have a nice rest, Sperm Whale," Felix added as he and Liam left the room.

"Fucking cunts," Henry muttered with a clenched jaw while Roger was still standing awkwardly at the foot of the bed.

"I should go get them ready," Roger said after a moment of awkward silence.

Henry exhaled deeply, finally giving up. "Fuck. Just make sure they don't get themselves killed."

Roger nodded and turned to follow Felix and Liam, happy that Henry finally agreed to letting them attempt to find Lindsey.

***

After a little more briefing about the 'lay of the land' and such, Felix and Liam were equipping themselves with whatever toys they found most desirable in the armory.

"Oh, fuck ya, bud," Felix said and picked up some throwing knives. "It's been awhile since I had any practice with these bad boys. You might wanna watch yourself out there. Things could get messy," he said with a sarcastic tone, but Liam knew there was more truth than humor to the comment.

"Think they're impressed yet?" Liam asked as he put on his stab resistant vest.

"Hmmm," Felix pondered. "I wouldn't say- Oh, I see," he changed his answer mid-sentence. "Got the hots for the fiery little Dr. Baby Doll back there, do ya? Haha."

Liam gave him a disappointed look which turned Felix's chuckle into a silent straight face.

"I'll admit," Felix continued, "that nickname was lazy and I apologize for the slacking effort."

"Not what I-" Liam started to correct him, but Felix kept talking without skipping a beat.

"And no way, Jose. Right now, we're just a couple of weirdos going on a suicide mission. If we die, we're just two idiots who wasted a very expensive first-class flight to get our asses killed and probably eaten by the monstrous beasties out there."

Liam nodded once in realization and agreement.

"But if we live," Felix smiled, raised his eyebrows, and nodded to hint at how great it would be, "then we're two idiots who survived a suicide mission. But regardless, it's pretty hard to be impressive when you're an idiot, compadre," he said as he finished fastening the throwing knives into his waist belt.

"I guess we'll find out when we get back."

"So sure we'll live that long?" Felix asked.

"We're idiots, not realists, remember? We don't have to think about the bad outcomes. Leave that to the responsible ones."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

"Plus, from the sound of it, we're fighting a bunch of overgrown dogs. How hard could it be?"

"Like taking candy from a baby," Felix said. "An abnormally large baby with razor sharp teeth and super long claws maybe, but a baby all the same."

"You two finding everything you need in here?" Roger asked, entering the room.

"Sure thing, Roger," Felix answered, "I just can't find the doggy treats anywhere," he said, still looking around the room.

"What?" Roger asked.

"You know. Distraction. Should work like a charm," Felix explained.

"Unless you have chew toys," Liam added, playing along. "Those should work just as fine."

"You're about to go out there, and you're still cracking jokes?" Roger asked. "Aren't you nervous?"

"Nervous?" Liam asked sarcastically and looked to Felix for an answer.

Felix shrugged his shoulders at Liam and looked back to Roger. "Can you use it in a sentence?"

Roger looked down and shook his head in annoyance.

"Of course we are," Liam said, allowing Roger some serious reciprocity for once. "There's just no point in showing it. If we don't enjoy the moments we have when we're not fighting for our lives, then what's the point in fighting for our lives?"

"Right, I see your meaning. Well, we might think you can be a little crazy sometimes, but we really are glad you boys are here. Just make sure you come back safely," Roger said.

"We wouldn't be here if we weren't at least a little crazy, Roger," Felix said.

"Well, I guess that's true."

After preparing their gear and getting a detailed rundown on where the Binthear camp should be, Felix and Liam left the base. It was dusk and the only clear light in the sky was Carmenta's moon. Facing the thick Carmenta forest, with their backs toward the base, they started their hike. With their black clothing and dark face paint, they had little to no chance of being seen lurking through the forest when night fell. For the first time since they had met each other, they were completely silent and alert.

12