Summoning the Wolf Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Southern army is limited in numbers now and the city itself is still recovering from the onslaught of war last year. So do not think for a minute that we can just sit on our asses and expect help at the click of a finger!"

Titus rarely raised his voice, especially in front of an Elder, so when he snapped his fingers punctuating his last words, everyone sat upright. No one dared to look him in the eye - except one.

"Chief Titus, I am in favour of this motion," Hale cleared his throat as he raised his hand. "Our warrior class has been reduced to a handful of men, many of whom have taken to farm the lands to survive. Who then will come to our aid if not our own brothers?"

Turning to the others in the room, he continued, "I would offer myself as tribute if I could and it would be an honour."

"You will do no such thing Hale," replied Titus kindly. As touched as he was by the loyalty of his friend, Titus would not accept the sole child as a tribute. "The life of a soldier is cruel and harsh. That is not something I will pretend otherwise. My only consolation to the families affected is that they should still have a son back home to pass on their family name. And for that Hale, you must stay here."

And with that, the motion was passed: each of the eight young protégées in favour of Titus's decision to send their men as soldiers in the city's army. Now, the only hurdle left was the acceptance by Lady Rose herself.

***

Eulalie's muscles felt like they had been stripped, roasted then twisted around her bones as she laid the final body to rest in one of the thirty-seven graves she had dug. The child had been so tiny; she could fit the entire length along her forearm alone.

And that realisation had ripped her heart out brutally.

"Rest in peace for all eternity my children..." she whispered into the night. "I will not rest until the one responsible for all this is dead. This is my promise to you." For a start, Eulalie was planning to follow whatever remaining hyena tracks she had discovered two nights ago along the mountain river.

"No. You will return home with me and rest. Do not think for a moment that I do not know what fills your mind." The voice of her brother seeped into her consciousness. "Lord Etienne is due tomorrow night so there is no need to set off right now."

"You can update him Eirikr. I must not lose those tracks," she replied, clenching and unclenching her knuckles in frustration. "Even the slightest of rainfall will wash their scent away. I cannot afford that."

Even then, Eulalie did not fight Eirikr when he settled her in front of him, feeling the familiar gallop of the horse as it sped off home. Grateful for the silence he offered, Eulalie leaned her head back against his chest and allowed herself -just for that short horse ride -to cry.

There would be no shedding of tears once her feet were on solid ground again.

"We are here." Her body was lifted off the horse effortlessly but where she expected a lecture, Eirikr had only given her his back. Instead, he focused on debriefing and dismissing the other wolf soldiers who had accompanied them.

Only when they were truly alone, he turned to her; one hand wrapped over her shoulders. "Come, you need to eat."

He had bullied her into her room, forcing what looked like soup and bread down her throat before pulling the thick blanket over her and ordering her to sleep. Eulalie knew she could never be like this with anyone - not even with her other siblings -except him. To be seen as weak would have been the perfect weapon against her.

"Are you off to tend to the child?" she whispered just as he was about to close the door.

"Yes. Rest well sister mine." A click of the door later, Eulalie felt truly alone. No, not alone. Lonely.

Just for once, she wished it was someone other than her baby brother who could love her enough to tuck her into bed without asking anything in return. But then again, it was just his nature to be nurturing and caring. How did he turn out that way when she had been the one who raised him?

After his mother died, Eulalie had been tasked to care for him but there had been no coddling on her part. Even before teaching him to read, write and count, she had trained him to fight, to scout and to hunt. And yet with every beating he had received -whether it was due to his poor stance or his loss at sword fighting, Eirikr had always given her his most precious smile and loved her just the same.

Over time, she too had learnt to love him back and maybe because of that, she was just slightly selfish in wanting to share him with anyone else. But then she had seen the way he handled the child they found in the caves -the same one he was now tending to, no doubt.

Disbelief had quickly been eclipsed by a yearning. Indeed the child was everything he wanted and hoped to achieve with that woman of his. And to see the possibility so clearly in his arms, Eulalie knew there was no denying her brother of his need to claim the child as his own.

Whether or not he had to fight to keep it was another story.

***

Guided by the scent of sweat and horses, Titus almost felt at home again as he knocked on the gated door of the Seurri royal infantry. Behind him, the nervous young men of Eilean shuffled their feet, their eyes wandering as they took in the city centre for the first time.

"Titus you bastard!" The door swung open and a bearded man with thick arms grabbed him in a fierce bear hug. For a moment, Titus felt his ribs being crushed under Merkel's body and caught the open-mouthed look of fear on his boys' faces.

"Merkel, it's good to see you too," he managed to choke out.

"Oh and who are these? You brought me snacks?"

Colour drained completely from their faces as the red wolf Changeling released Titus and stomped towards them, flashing his pearly whites.

"We'll fatten them up first," replied Titus with a laugh. But as one of the boys faceplanted onto the ground, he gave a tickled sigh. "Sooner, rather than later I hope. Depending on what Lady Rose says, then these men are all yours - to train that is."

Turning to the village boys, he nodded and jerked his thumb towards the communal resting area, watching as they scrambled to put as much distance between them and the red wolf scowling teasingly at them.

"You'd think they've never seen a Changeling before," snorted Merkel. "What a welcome to the big city eh?"

The only Changeling kind these boys were used to were the fish variety and those definitely did not have claws or teeth like Merkel.

"These were the only men I could spare," he admitted. "It's Eilean's contributions to Seurri."

Understanding passed across the red wolf's face. Merkel of all people would relate to the need to give back to the city. After all, Rose had given him and his kind free land to rebuild their lives after their own homes were razed to the ground by hyena Changelings.

Placing a large hand on his shoulder, Merkel patted once. "We will watch over them and train them well General."

"Who are you calling General?" Titus looked up at the Changeling with a raised eyebrow. For a human, Titus towered over most of his villagers but even he could not match Merkel's height nor built. "And it is not we who will be training them. It is you."

"Don't be too sure about that! Thing is, Lady Rose is looking for an army general. Said I handled the sewer situation, as she called it, really well. But see, that's your brainchild. So I must pass this up when I see a more worthy candidate you get me?" said Merkel.

"Tell me you did not," groaned Titus, palming his face forehead to chin. There was no way he would leave his village affairs and stay here as a bureaucrat of the army. Sure, he had stepped up as a unit commander during the siege then but that position was merely a speck compared to the responsibility as a General. Providing military aid was one thing but to devote his entire life to a soldier's life? "What of Miria?"

"Nah. She's the personal guard of the royal family." Was it just him or did Merkel actually blush? "And besides, she fights too rough."

Definitely a blush. And that last sentence was more a compliment than anything.

"We were supposed to nominate someone. Heard the Lady will convene with her Council and decide."

"And you put me." Titus let out a resigned sigh.

"Hell yeah." Another pat on his shoulder, this time harder. "No offence Titus but you're human."

Rolling his eyes, he folded his arms and took the bait. "So?"

"And I respect the hell out of you - which says a lot since you're not my Alpha and all. But damn, you kept this city alive man."

That he did. Against all the odds. Tens of thousands against the few hundred they had defending Seurri? "I appreciate that Merkel. I really do. I just hope the Lady remembers this when I offer my men for her army."

"Good luck with that," grunted Merkel. Before he could ask why, the Changeling continued. "The Lord of the West is here. She's always stricter when he's around."

Damn.

Keeping Merkel's warning in mind, Titus headed to the castle with the memory of the last words Lord Etienne Arceneaux had said to him.

The next time you are in the presence of Lady Rose; keep your hands to yourself if you wish to live.

It had been just a kiss damn it. One meagre kiss - not even with the tongue kind. And for that, Titus had since not dared to even look Rose in the eye and definitely not the Lord of the West himself. So when he was in full audience of both the Lord and Lady, Titus only wished he could bow lower and kiss the carpet. Even better if he could keel over and bury himself under the tiles.

"Titus of Eilean, how lovely to see you again." Titus scrambled to his feet when Lady Rose got up to approach him. "How is the village?"

"Very well my Lady. I have come here bearing tribute."

Rose looked over at the items he had behind him and nodded with a kind smile. "Thank you for your allegiance and contributions Eilean. Seurri accepts."

Taking his eyes quickly from hers, Titus bowed low before going stiff vertical again. "You are most kind my Lady but I am well aware of our shortfall." Tilting his body slightly, he gestured to the twenty scrawny males behind him. "Soldiers, for your army."

Silence.

Rose glanced over at the boys then back at Titus but said nothing. Instead, she walked back to her throne and sat next to her mate.

"Titus of Eilean, tell me, have there been any more attacks?" This came from the Pureblood Vampire seated by her side.

"No my Lord."

Though his baritone voice still nursed an air of malice, it melted the instance Lord Etienne turned to Rose; his expression softening to something Titus could only describe as love. A silent discussion passed between the couple, ending with a triumphant smile on the Lady.

"Then it is not necessary for you to offer me these young men," said Lady Rose.

"But my Lady! Seurri is in need of soldiers. Your infantry has lost a considerable number of men in the siege and -"

"Indeed," she interrupted, raising a hand to halt his next protest. "I will need hundreds, if not thousands to regain its full strength. What possibly can twenty boys -who by the looks of it have never even picked up a sword -do for me?"

Titus locked his jaw tight. She was right but he hadn't travelled all the way here for her to send them away.

"They are young and inexperienced and know nothing of loyalty or obedience." He paused, lifting his obsidian eyes in the direct line of her sight. "But, these are the best soldiers to mould and train as you wish my Lady. They do not have the arrogance of experienced soldiers nor previous masters who may demand their allegiance."

Rose kept her eyes on him; her lips curving slightly at the ends.

"Then I accept. But on one condition." When he remained silent, her smile widened. "Merkel and Miria have both nominated you to be the General of my army. Will you consider?"

He didn't get a chance to speak for she was already nodding to herself. "If you're wondering why I've not chosen them, it's simple. This is the city of humans so naturally a human should lead the people. Don't you think so?"

There was only one answer to that question and his Lady made clear of it as she delivered her ultimatum. "You and your men may stay the week. And at the end of it, I wish to have my answer. Do not disappoint me."

Titus could only bow his head in agreement.

***

Lord Etienne Arceaneux kept his eye on the retreating human's back, his mouth slightly parted to display his glorious fangs. Titus had been polite and proper, keeping his eyes averted and speaking only when required. But during those few seconds where his gaze had landed on Rose, Etienne had to physically look away lest he jumped out of his seat to remind the human of his place.

"There is no need to burn a hole on his back Etienne. Titus is not here to harm anyone."

Did he really need to remind her that that human had kissed her?

But his mate seemed unrepentant. "His sister just died then. He was merely seeking comfort."

His molars clenched and rubbed against each other in response. Oh that's right. Rose had allowed that contact; allowed that kiss. All because she felt compassionate.

"I do hope that would not be a norm in your court," he replied dryly. "I truly do not wish to pile dead bodies at the castle gates each time I visit."

"You will do no such thing." Despite the calm in her voice, Rose had slits for eyes as she stared at him in warning. "Your sole purpose here is to see our son."

Etienne grounded his teeth together again. They had been doing these visits for how long now? Eleven months? The initial visits had been short, two days at most, but then he found himself staying longer and longer until he wasn't sure anymore regarding his visitation schedule. Not that there was one.

But as the Lord of the West, Etienne had always pride himself on being systematic. Days had to be calculated to maximise travel time, especially now that he wasn't spending much time in his own lands. Up to a point where his cousin Zahara was sending him scrolls pertaining to the affairs of the Western Lands here at the Southern castle. He would always scour through them -mostly, at night when both Rose and the baby were asleep. That was his responsibility as the Lord of the West.

Getting off the seat he had been warming for the past hour, Etienne took a few steps before getting on his knees in front of his seated mate.

"Rose my love," he whispered, clasping both her hands in his. "It saddens me to leave tonight, but know that I will return in two weeks for Aengus's birthday."

His beautiful mate nodded softly, the hazel of her eyes sparkling somewhat as though they were clouded with tears. "Has it truly been a year?" Patting her abdomen, she smiled. "Feels almost like yesterday when I was a whale."

Catching the scent of her embarrassment, Etienne leaned forward to capture her lips with his own. She should never feel the need to be ashamed of her body in front of him. Not after the many times he'd proven to her how much he simply adored her every curve.

Cupping one of her heavy breasts in his palm, he smiled against her lips and whispered, "Your beauty robs me of my breath. I would stroke you for hours, lick you, drink from you..." With his other hand, he took her fingers and forced her to understand the effect she had on him. Always.

Eyelashes fluttering, she tried to look away. This was why he loved the woman so goddamn much. Even after months of having sex in every possibly way and in every available corner, that innocence and pureness in her eyes still sent lust instantly crawling up his skin.

"Just say the word Rose. And I'll stay." Muffled words against the side of her neck. He could hear the quickening beat of her pounding heart and smiled as he grazed her skin with his lips.

"The Council of the Clans need you." Her voice slightly shaky; fingers pushing gently against his chest.

"Then come with me. It would honour the Western court to host my son's birthday." Rose and Aengus belonged by his side. Hadn't he changed the laws allowing all marriages to be accepted in his lands? Rose was by all means, the Lady of the West. And she should be in his castle, in his bed and within sight at all times.

"Aengus is the prince of this city. His first birthday means the world to them. I would not want to disappoint my people."

Frustration boiled under his skin, crawling like spiders all over his body. "I hate shuffling back and forth like this!"

"We've agreed on this Etienne..." She pushed him away harder this time, breaking the skin contact such that they were eye to eye. "Until Aengus is old enough, I cannot leave these lands. Who else would I give the reigns to?"

He all but pounced on her; scooping and flipping her in a single movement until her lush bottom was nestled comfortably on his groin. "Then I think we should have another son -or daughter. One for each of our lands." He captured her earlobes between his teeth and growled excitedly at the thought. Especially when her laughter, all feminine and soft, made him want to take her over and over again.

"Aren't you afraid someone might come in and see?" she giggled, trying to get away from his hold. But being the predator that he was, he wasn't going to allow his prey to escape.

"Then we'll make it a quick one," he murmured, licking at the sensitive shell of her ear. "I bet if I flip you on your back right now, I'll find you all wet and ready for me..."

And he did just that, pinning her on the cold marbled floor with his hands on each side of her head. Lowering his mouth to hers, Etienne kissed away any further protests before moving a hand in between their bodies to seek out the hot flesh he so desperately wanted to touch.

The inviting wetness between her legs made him hiss out in approval. "I want you Rose. I need you."

Her parted legs, naked and bare for him was all the answer he needed. In one swift pull of the drawstring holding up his pants, he freed his throbbing cock and surged into her. Their moans were instantaneous -his louder for she was so tight, a slick vice around his cock threatening his sense of control. When he tried to slow down, she gripped his forearms and shook her head desperately.

Smiling against their conjoined lips, Etienne pulled her into a sitting position. Gripping her lush bottom, he lifted her up before letting gravity pull her down the length of him; the sounds of their slapping flesh echoing throughout the room. This time, she had been the one to moan; tossing her head back as she ground her hips further to accommodate all his girth.

That sound was like ambrosia to his ears, drowning him as he felt her pleasure running down their mating bond into his own. Not caring anymore about holding back, he brought his lips down to the side of her neck and bit down into the tender flesh as his hips pistoned upwards in a pounding rhythm.

Her cries of ecstasy urged him closer and closer to his own release -the taste of her blood an added flow of pleasure coursing through him. Holding her body tight, he gave one last jerk and spilled his release into her.

***

The feel of her body and the scent of her skin still lingered on his senses even miles after he had left Seurri to return home. The solitary journey only made him crankier than usual and his foul mood was what greeted his hosts as he arrived at the mountainous castle of young Prince Eirikr.

"We should have just met on your southbound trip instead," snapped Eulalie as Etienne stormed through the castle gates into the drawing room. "You're always pissed off on this way back."