Super Dating

Story Info
Lena asks Kara's help to ask out Supergirl.
16.2k words
4.41
20k
51

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 10/07/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MTL17
MTL17
2,011 Followers

Disclaimer: I do not own Supergirl or anything to do with DC. I do not make any money from the writing of this story.

Author's note: This story takes place after Season 2, Episode 15 of Supergirl.

*****

Kara Danvers bit her lip as she knocked on the front door of her dear friend Lena Luthor's home. As she waited for a reply she again wondered why her friend didn't live in one of the many mansions her family owned.

Was it to be closer to the city, or had some of her funds been seized ever since her stepbrother, or now apparently half brother, had gone on his rampage? Either way even though her friend owned the whole building, and this was a luxurious suite on the very top floor, Kara couldn't help think Lena deserved more than this.

Of course for all her wealth Lena Luthor deserved a lot more than what she had, and Kara was happy to finally give her the friend she deserved. That meant going to her after a traumatic experience, like almost falling to her death, which was why it broke Kara's heart to find her friend surprised to see her when she opened the door.

"Kara." Lena beamed, stepping aside so her friend could enter, "What a wonderful surprise."

"Supergirl told me what happened. Are you okay?" Kara asked as she took the silent invitation to come inside the apartment.

"I'm fine thanks to you." Lena smiled, closing and locking the door before turning back to Kara, "And Supergirl of course."

"Good." Kara smiled back.

There was a brief, kind of awkward silence and then Lena asked, "Did you want something?"

"What? No, I..." Kara stammered, taken off-guard and not entirely sure why, "I just wanted to make sure you're okay, and figured you could use a friend. No one should be alone after something like that."

Lena just stared at Kara for a few long seconds and then asked, "What did I do to deserve you?"

"It's... I..." Kara blushed slightly, unsure why, "What are friends for?"

"I suppose." Lena said flatly, slowly leading them further into the apartment before asking, "Can I get you anything? Coffee? Tea? Wine?"

"I'll have whatever you're having." Kara shrugged, taking a seat on the couch.

There was then a few minutes where Lena left Kara to her thoughts, and she once again thought how for all it's size this place was very cold and unloved, not unlike Lena herself. Even Cat Grant's larger home had been more welcoming and lived in than this on the few occasions that Kara had seen it. This, this was not a home.

It was somewhere a workaholic slept during the few hours they weren't in the office. It made Kara feel sad, and even more determined to be the best friend she could possibly be to this wonderful but universally misjudged woman who returned holding a couple of wine glasses, no doubt filled with something expensive. Not that Kara would know the difference as wine had no effect on her, although she still thanked her hostess for it with a wide smile.

"I'm really glad you're here actually... well, I'm always glad when you're here, but... there was something I've been meaning to ask you." Lena confessed hesitantly.

"Oh, what?" Kara asked, "You can tell me anything, you know that, right?"

"Well, I was kind of interested in a mutual friend." Lena admitted, deciding just to go for it, "A certain red, white and blue hero in a sexy little cape?"

"Interested?" Kara frowned in confusion, and then when Lena raised an eyebrow Kara's eyes went wide in realisation, "OH! Oh no, I'm sorry Lena, Superman is seeing someone."

"I wasn't talking about Superman." Lena said, and then when Kara stared at her blankly she finally made her intentions clear, "I was talking about Supergirl."

"What?" Kara went pale, before going very red, "So you're, erm-"

"Gay?" Lena smiled, although it faded a bit when she added, "Is that a problem?"

"No! God no, I... I mean..." Kara scoffed in the middle of her stammering, "My, my sister is gay. So why would it bother me?"

"I don't know..." Lena said softly, then after a brief pause added, "I'm surprised you didn't know. It's not like I try to hide it."

"Yeah, well... it's not like you said anything before." Kara pointed out, "And just about everything I'd read about you online is wrong, so why would I believe gay rumours?"

Lena smiled again, and before taking another sip of her wine quipped, "I take it you didn't see the pictures."

"Pictures!" Kara exclaimed, almost dropping her glass, "There are pictures of you, kissing girls on the Internet! Wait, it is just kissing, right?"

It was hard enough not to burst out laughing when Kara lowered her voice on the words 'kissing girls on the Internet' like she was whispering a secret in public, but the look on her face when she thought it may be more broke Lena and she had to reply through her laughter, "Yes Kara, only kissing. So far at least, although I did have a close call with an angry ex."

"Oh." Kara blushed.

There was a brief silence as Lena got the laughter out of her system before soberly admitting, "Even the kissing was a great embarrassment to mother. Her daughter the freak... I guess it was just another way I disappointed her."

"Lena, I'm sorry." Kara said softly after a brief pause.

"It... it doesn't matter." Lena swallowed, before smiling, "I'd much rather talk about the pretty blonde in the cape. I have so many questions, and I know you can't answer them all, which is why normally I wouldn't ask, but... does, does she ever talk about me?"

"Erm, yeah." Kara said weakly, because it was true, she would tell anyone who would listen about Lena.

"Good things I hope." Lena smiled softly.

"Great things." Kara replied with a smile, and without thinking because again it was true.

"Wow." Lena murmured, biting her lip for a few long seconds before adding, "Do you think she likes girls?"

"I, I... I..." Kara stammered, her mind completely blank and unsure what to say, but Lena's face was falling and she couldn't bare that look so she replied, "I don't know."

There was a long pause and then Lena asked, "Well, do you think you could get in contact with her for me. Tell her, tell her I think she's amazing. That I can't stop thinking about her. Or Her strong arms as they carried me to safety. That, that I've never felt more safe than when I'm around her. That I, that I just want to properly thank her for everything she's done for me. Or don't. Just, just tell her I want to see her, and I'll do the rest."

There was another long pause, the longest yet, this time thoughts racing through Kara's head so fast she could barely comprehend them, then she mumbled, "Why, why her?"

"Well, I don't exactly have suitors lining up. Most people wouldn't touch a Luther with a 10 foot pole, but she seems... different." Lena said softly, adding with a laugh, "And... I don't know, I'm probably flattering myself, but the way she looks at me, it's almost like she cares about me. Like I'm not just another person she's saved. Like I matter. I can count on one hand the number of people who've ever looked at me like that."

"I do." Kara said softly.

"I know." Lena smiled softly, cautiously leaning forward to place her hand upon Kara's and squeeze it gently, "It's pretty much just you and her."

There was a long pause and then Kara asked, "Isn't there anyone else?"

"No." Lena said flatly, taking her hand back, "I told you, the list starts with you and ends with her."

This really knocked Kara loopy, even after she realised exactly what her friend meant, "I, I mean there must be someone else you want to date."

"No one that's available." Lena said softly, then stared directly at Kara for a few long seconds before lowering her head, "I know it's crazy, but... but sometimes I wonder if she is as lonely as I am. It must be so hard for her, having to be strong all the time. I'm just so grateful that she has people like you in her life that can truly be there for her. I'd like to be one of those people, and honestly, I'd like to be more. I'd... I'd like to show her how grateful I am for everything she's done for me, and everyone. And even if I'm not her type or whatever, I just like to get to know her. Please Kara, would you ask her for me? I'm not proposing here, I just want one night to see if there could be anything between us. Even if it's just friendship."

Kara really, really wasn't sure what to say, but as soon as Lena began looking disappointed Kara found herself softly murmuring, "Okay."

Yet another pause, this one brief, and then Lena asked with a smile, "Are you sure? Because I know I'm putting you in an uncomfortable position, I... I just don't know what else to do."

"It's fine." Kara said unconvincingly, before making her next words a little more convincing, "I'll talk to her. I promise."

*

The rest of the evening had been a blur, Kara only able to spend a few more minutes in Lena's company before mumbling a lame excuse and leaving. She had then quickly changed into her superhero costume and spent about an hour flying around the city. That normally cleared her head of whatever was bothering her, but this time was different.

This time there was so many thoughts going through her head that she could barely concentrate on one, and the ones she could concentrate on were mostly scary, so she tried not to think about them. Which just made her think about them all, leading to a sleepless night and a day of everyone asking her what was wrong.

Quickly realising she couldn't go on like this Kara texted her baby cousin, asking him to meet her at the Fortress of Solitude. Before he could reply she was about halfway there, meaning she had to spend what felt like hours pacing back and forth, wondering if this was the right thing to do. What she would say. And what she was hoping he would say.

Then he arrived, in more or less the same costume she proudly wore, except bigger and without the skirt, Superman greeting her with a warm smile and hug, the latter of which would have probably crushed a human. She missed those hugs. Then he pulled back, looking concerned.

"Are you okay?" Clark asked softly.

"Everything is fine, I just... I just want to talk." Kara said quickly.

"Oh." Clark frowned, "But why-"

"Why aren't I talking to Alex?" Kara interrupted, "I would, but... I, I just can't. Not about this. I want to, but she just wouldn't get it. Which is also why I didn't go to Maggie. Well, that and it would be super awkward."

Also, because they were closer to her than Clark was they would probably figure out who Kara was talking about, and they both had made it perfectly clear how they felt about Lena, especially Alex. Heck, she didn't approve of her friendship with Lena, so there was no way she could be impartial about this.

Not that she wanted to repeat any of that to Clark. And to be fair, what she told him wasn't a lie. After all, Maggie and Alex didn't have secret identities, not really, so they couldn't really understand why this would ever be considered to be okay. Of course, Kara was so lost in these thoughts that she almost missed what her cousin said next.

"I was going to say why didn't you just call me, but obviously this is very important to you." Clark said softly, then after a long pause asked, "And who's Maggie?"

"Erm, you should probably talk to Alex next time you're in National City." Kara smiled nervously.

Clark frowned briefly and then apologised, "I'm so sorry I haven't been around Kara, I've just-"

"Been busy, I know." Kara finished for him, "I get it. I really do. I'm a hero too now, remember? But you've always been there for me when I really needed you. And I need you now."

"And I'm here." Clark smiled, "Tell me what I can do."

There was a long pause, then Kara said, "Well, first you've got to promise not to tell Alex, or anyone, about this."

"Absolutely." Clark said, then after another pause pushed, "Kara, what's this all about? You're beginning to scare me."

Yet another pause, the longest yet, and then after what felt like an hour of nervous hand twitching Kara asked, "Has, has anyone ever asked you out? As Superman, I mean?"

Clark briefly stared at her, then smiled bashfully, "Actually yeah. All the time. Why? Did it only just happen to you?"

"No. It happens a lot." Kara admitted, just not normally by women, and more importantly, "I just... I've never considered saying yes before. Have you?"

Hesitating briefly Clark admitted, "Maybe once or twice. Before Lois and I became a thing of course. But Kara, there's a big difference between considering something, and actually doing it."

"I know." Kara said softly.

"Do you?" Clark questioned, raising an eyebrow, "Think about it Kara. Really think about it. Whoever this guy is he's not asking you out, he's asking out the hero version of you. The idealised version of you. That's not fair on either of you. Or healthy, because you're beginning this relationship with a lie. How long do you think that can last? What happens when he finds out the truth? What if that jeopardises your secret, and the people in your life? Because he might not mean to Kara, but this guy, he could destroy you and everything you hold dear, and neither of you might not truly realise the consequences until it's done."

"I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW!" Kara yelled in frustration, "Stop mansplaining to me!"

There was a brief pause and then Clark frowned in confusion, "Mansplaining?"

"Yeah." Kara sighed, "You know, when a man explains something to a woman in a condescending and demeaning way. Often about something that she already knows."

"Oh, sorry." Clark apologised bashfully, "I was never that up on slang. I wasn't trying to be condescending or demeaning, I just... I worry about you. I know I shouldn't. I know you must have thought of all this stuff already. Because of course you have. You're smart. It's just, I know you're supposed to be older, but now I'm technically older-"

"Arguably." Kara grumbled.

"Yes... but still. Regardless of how things should have been, I feel like your big brother. And part of that is knowing when to stay out of your way and let you solve your own problems, but you have no idea how many times I've wanted to act like an overprotective jackass, only for you to overcome incredible odds and make me so proud of you." Clark confessed, "And I am so, so proud of you Kara. But when it comes to this... why come to me unless you wanted me to tell you everything you already know?"

"Because unlike everyone else in my life you have a secret identity." Kara admitted, much more loudly and angrily than she wanted, "Which meant I thought you'd get it."

"Get what Kara? What am I missing here?" Clark asked, studying her face carefully, before guessing cautiously, "Are you, scared of this guy? Or the way you feel about him? Is he already with someone?"

"No, no, no." Kara fumed, "It's not that. It's... I..."

"What Kara?" Clark pushed gently, before sighing, "I, I know it seems romantic. But it's not. You must know that from dating before. Keeping this big a secret from someone. Only sharing half of yourself. And what you're talking about, it's worse than dating you as Kara, because he isn't dating the real you. He's dating a Super. Or at least he wants to be. But you know that in your heart, he doesn't really know you. He's just in love with the idea of you. People see these symbols on our chests and they think we have all the answers, when we don't. I certainly don't. And I don't want to tell you what you should do, or be patronising or condescending, but I think you came to me because you know this is wrong, and you wanted to hear me say it."

"I know." Kara said softly, adding without thinking, "It's just, I... I think she really likes me. Both mes. And I just-"

"She?" Clark murmured, interrupting her flow. There was then a long pause and then he added, "Go on your date."

"What?" Kara stammered, "I, I can't. It would be wrong. You just said so."

"I did." Clark admitted.

"So, so why is this different?" Kara asked softly.

"I'm not sure. But I think you do." Clark said softly.

There was a long pause and then Kara forced a soft laugh, "I'm not gay."

"I didn't say you were." Clark said softly, then after another long pause added, "But if you're questioning it-"

"I'm not!" Kara protested, then after a pause added, "It's just... I... I really like her, and she really likes me, but... I just didn't know how much. I thought, wow, amazing, I finally have a best friend who isn't my sister. Which is great, because Alex has been real busy with Maggie lately. And that's great. It's really great. And the last thing I want to do is rain on her parade, but I miss her, then all of a sudden this other person comes along. Someone who has everything I want in a best friend. Someone who has so much, yet so little, you know? And I just want to be able to give her everything she deserves, and, well... she wants Supergirl."

"This can't be just about what she wants Kara." Clark interrupted, "You know that."

"I do, but..." Kara protested, "But everything she said she liked about Supergirl, she... she have been talking about me. Or at least most of it. Which made me think, what if she likes me too? Or could? And why does it matter to me? Do I want her to like me? How could I possibly want her to like me when I'm not even... but... but then I thought how, certain people, think they're one-way their whole entire life, and suddenly someone comes along, and they're like WOW, this person. You know? And it just changes everything. And it's scary, and there are risks, and it might not work, it might not be anything, but... I... I'm not sure. Maybe I do just want to make someone else happy. Maybe I'm doing that with Mon-El. Or I'm just confused. I don't know. I feel like I don't know anything anymore."

There was another long pause and then Clark cautiously added, "That's why you want to go, right? To explore the possibility, without, you know..."

"Being me." Kara smiled softly, "When I'm Supergirl, I feel like I can do anything..."

"It's not just a costume..." Clark continued for her.

"It's like I'm somebody else." Kara said softly, "The best version of myself."

"I get that." Clark said softly, "And if you think this woman can love more than just the symbol on your chest, that if you want it there as a sort of training wheel, or if you just want to feel brave, I get that too."

"See, this is why I came to you instead of Alex or Maggie." Kara smiled, then added before he could continue, "And I know, I need to be careful, and not let things go too far without telling her the truth."

Clark smiled, "I just want you to be careful."

"I know." Kara smiled back, giving him another hug.

Yet another pause, and then Clark pulled back and asked, "And seriously, who the hell is Maggie?"

"I, erm..." Kara stammered, before backing away as this wasn't her secret to tell, "Seriously, talk to Alex."

Clark frowned as he watched his cousin fly away, then reached into his suit, pulled out his phone and called the other Danvers sister, "Hey Alex! Quick question, who's Maggie?"

*

Even after talking to her cousin Kara still debated what she should do, spending the better part of another day being distracted before ultimately texting Lena that Supergirl would come and talk with her tonight in her office.

Not that it really helped, because Lena texted back immediately, thanking Kara and promising to tell her all about it, causing Kara to smile nervously and then continued to debate this decision throughout the rest of the day.

She almost cancelled for one reason or another a thousand times, telling herself it probably wouldn't matter because there was bound to be an emergency which called her away or forced her to cancel. But no, there would be no easy out for her tonight and ultimately Kara had to stand by her choice of her own accord.

MTL17
MTL17
2,011 Followers