Surefoot 19: Star Crossed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

"Shut up," Hrelle growled.

Ledit glared at him. "Excuse me, Sir, but I've been given permission to speak freely-"

Hrelle bolted to his feet, his claws extending and digging into the surface of the table as he stared unwaveringly at the cadet. "I SAID SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH. Your permission to speak is withdrawn. We're done listening to you."

He shook off the warning hand Kami placed on him again to walk around and stride up to Ledit, staring down hard, teeth bared as he enjoyed the reaction it produced in the cadet. "No, you little prick, you're not getting a fresh start to cause trouble on another training ship. And you won't be staying here, either. Counselor, given the recent events and the revelations in this hearing, what will be the psychological impact on the cadets and crew if Ensign Ledit remains onboard?"

"Not good, not good at all. Already I can see the hostility and resentment building up among those involved. Ensign Ledit appears unwilling or unable to demonstrate compassion or empathy, and I believe that the required esprit de corps that the cadets and crew need to function properly will never be built. Hir presence will ultimately be harmful."

He nodded, still facing Ledit, but speaking to T'Varik. "Commander, which Starfleet Regulation governs the authority of the captain to remove any material that proves to be hazardous or potentially hazardous to the ship and/or crew?"

"Starfleet Safety Regulation 44/10, Captain. But it is presumed that this concerns toxic substances-"

Hrelle leaned in closer to Ledit. "But that's what we're dealing with here: a toxic, dangerous substance. Isn't that right, Ensign? A pollutant. A pathetic little bully. A coward. A miserable wretch. You look on everyone around you as pawns, as stepping stones or hindrances to your personal goals of upward mobility. You think you're superior to them. But every one of them is worth a hundred of you. A thousand. You'll never make Captain, never command. I'll draw on every favour I'm owed in Starfleet to make sure you'll never get further than cleaning out of the recycling systems. Never-"

He had watched the growing anger on the cadet's face as he continued his taunts, eroding hir control. He knew what was coming.

He was not disappointed. The Hermat drew back hir fist and struck Hrelle in the muzzle with all hir might.

Hrelle grunted as those assembled reacted. For a second, he let Ledit think he was going to strike back - and let hir be afraid. Instead, he just smiled. "You're right, Commander. 44/10 is for toxic substances, and isn't grounds for removing someone.

Assaulting a superior officer, on the other hand..."

*

Eydiir entered Gamma Squad's quarters, waiting until Falok rose from his chair before she announced, "I would speak with you privately."

He nodded, indicating their bedroom. "Will this suffice? Do you request another female in attendance?"

"Yes, and No." She marched inside, ignoring the looks from the other members of his squad and saying nothing further until he joined her and the door slid shut. "I have had cause to reconsider my initial reaction to your unexpected announcement this morning."

The Vulcan straightened further, his expression tightening. "Upon reflection, your reaction was one I should have anticipated, given the level of our relationship. I wish to express my regret at the distress it caused."

She nodded curtly. "We do not need to discuss this further."

"I disagree." He breathed in and continued. "I have romantic feelings for you. This contributed to my lapse in mental discipline."

She nodded. "This is understandable. I believe I share similar feelings."

He nodded back. "That will make subsequent interaction between us more convenient. I have reports to complete regarding the tendering activities, but I should be finished in 46.3 minutes. Following this, would you care to accompany me for a coffee in the Mess Hall?"

She allowed a slight smile. "That will be acceptable." She approached him, regarded him for a moment longer - and then gave him a quick, tentative kiss, before stepping back again, nodding with approval. "That was not displeasing. I will meet you there."

She waited until she was back in the hallway before her smile blossomed into a grin that had the few passers-by do double takes.

*

"Cadets Ostrow, report to Guest Quarters 8."

Jonas had been alone in an auxiliary office, completing reports on the Sureswift incident and the subsequent hearing. It was late, he was tired, hungry, and he wanted to just find Neraxis and talk... okay, maybe more than talk. Why did the Counselor call him to one of the guest quarters?

He supposed there was one way to find out.

He entered, seeing no one waiting for him outside. Inside, he found Kami... and Neraxis, looking just as confused and nervous as he felt. "Counselor, what's going on?"

"As per Regulations, following a Red Alert situation such as what you and the others underwent on the Sureswift, all parties involved must undergo an enforced rest period of 24 hours, so you're off-duty now. No ship work, no academic work. You have to relax. Preferably with a minimum of contact with other people so you don't get stressed."

Neraxis folded her arms across her chest. "I wasn't on the shuttle with Scrappy. Why did you call me here?"

Kami helped herself up to her feet. "You're on assignment, to make sure he gets rest. Eventually." As she moved to the door, she finished with, " There will be Do Not Disturb protocols up. Use this time wisely."

They were alone again. Jonas looked around. The room was standard among the guest quarters onboard: replicator, terminals, entertainment unit, table, couch... a double bed.

He looked to her again, ready to make a quip - until he saw the hesitant, fragile look in Neraxis' eyes. He moved to her, taking her hands in his. "When I was on that shuttle, and I thought I wouldn't survive... I thought of you. Thought about holding you, kissing you, being with you... it's not just about the sex. It's about loving you." He squeezed. "I'm not wasting any more time."

He drew in for a kiss - but she pulled back. "Are you frigging crazy? Do you really want to spend your time in Sickbay again? You don't even have-"

"Wait." He moved to the replicator. "Prophylactic Kit Model 4."

He brought the box it produced back to her, opened it and retrieved the bottle of stabilisers, swallowing some. "Mmm, not too bad. I think I can get used to these."

He looked up to see Neraxis had opened one of the condom packages. "Hey, balloons! We should invite some of the guys over and have a party!"

He looked at her.

She grinned. "Just kidding."

*

Deck 2, Commander T'Varik's Quarters:

The Vulcan had just completed collating and transmitting her request for Ledit's replacement when her door chimed. She noted the time as a reference before responding, "Enter."

It was C'Rash, clad in a pair of crimson silk trousers and low-cut blouse that were a striking contrast to the sable-black fur on the exposed parts of body. She looked at T'Varik. "You're still in uniform! Do you know what time it is?"

She rose from her seat. "You state the obvious, and make an unnecessary enquiry. How may I assist you, Lieutenant?"

The Caitian entered the room, her bare feet barely making a sound on the floor as she looked around. "Nice place. Lots of room."

"It is a perquisite of my rank and position. I believe I asked you-"

"How long have you been awake?"

She blinked. "46.75 hours."

C'Rash nodded at that. "Aunt Kami guessed. She told me that when you've done that before, you've needed a sleepover with someone to unwind."

T'Varik folded her hands behind her back. "Unwinding will not be required."

"Sorry, Counselor's Orders, nothing we can do about it, I'm afraid." Now she approached, her tail swishing playfully behind her in defiance of her attempt at acting grave. "I've been instructed to make sure you get a well-deserved break. It's only logical, isn't it?"

She sighed. "Lieutenant, I believe I have repeatedly stated that a sexual relationship between us would not be appropriate..." Then her tone softened. "Despite your obvious attractive aspects."

C'Rash chuckled. "Who said anything about sex? A sleepover can be just a sleepover. We can eat, groom each other, get to know each other better, and eventually sleep together - all without the spectre of sex raising its nasty head." Her pointed ears twitched. "Can't we?"

T'Varik regarded the young officer - acknowledging the pleasing scent of her musk. "I... believe we can at least try..."

C'Rash smiled, reaching up and lightly stroking the Vulcan's features. "Well, Commander, there's one thing you should know about me: if I end up in one of the Seven Hells, it won't be for not trying..."

*

Hrelle helped his wife undress and get into bed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

She grunted. "Misha's kicking; we've kept him up too late, and he's cranky."

"Like his mother." Hrelle ignored her scowl and knelt beside the bed, drawing closer to her furry distended belly and whispering, "Hey, my Little Warrior Prince: settle down in there and get some sleep." He rested a hand on her flesh, hearing and feeling his son react, as he continued to murmur, "Everything's okay out here. Everything's fine."

She saw his expression, and shifted her head on her pillow to regard him. "What is it?"

He sighed, still stroking her. "Was Ledit right? Do I favour some cadets over others? Jonas is-"

"Jonas is the most qualified among a group of highly qualified cadets. T'Varik thinks so, Chief Grev thinks so, and for what it's worth, I think so. And he's proved himself, repeatedly."

"But did I not do enough for Ledit? If I'd given hir some of the attention I've given others, like Jonas or Neraxis or-"

She pressed a finger to her muzzle. "Maybe something different might have happened. Maybe not. You have favourites? Of course you do. We all do. That doesn't mean you or I will treat anyone unfairly; the fact that you are still worrying about hir despite all the nasty things s/he said speaks volumes about you. And you have people around you to tell you if you're showing bias for or against anyone. We'll keep you on course. We're your navigation buoys - no assembly required." She regarded him. "You weren't really going to hit Ledit, were you?"

"What do you think?"

"I think you should get into bed."

He did, turning off the lights as he spooned up against her. "Did you really bunk Jonas and Neraxis together? Are you sure-"

"Esek... we have been awake for twenty-two hours..."

He put an arm around her, saying nothing further.

THE ADVENTURES OF THE SUREFOOT WILL CONTINUE IN... ONE MAN'S EDEN

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers