Surefoot 20: One Man's Eden...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes!" He looked to Hrelle. "Is it because Good Friend Sasha is not your biological child?"

He smiled back. "Not in the least. If I never had the immense good fortune I have now, I would still be satisfied with the time I've had with Sasha. She may not be my biological child, but that doesn't matter to me; I helped shape her regardless."

"Kit," Kami continued, moving her hand to the front of her belly. "Misha here is a product of the love that Esek and I share, an expression. Great Mother Willing, we'll raise him together, teach him, guide him, and be there as he grows up to have the most wonderful life he can.

And you're right; a child can grow up with one parent, or no parent at all, and still turn out marvellous. But I think that in your case, when you're ready... you will be a caring, considerate, wonderful parent."

He considered their words. "This- This opportunity may pass, and another may never come again-"

"Kit," Hrelle butted in gently. "After my first wife died, I never dreamed in a million years that I would love anyone else again, let alone have a child of my own. Sometimes, The Universe Has Other Plans... but they're not always bad."

"And any child you raise won't care if they have your genes," Kami added, "Or even if they're the same race as you. All they'll care about is the love and regard you give them. Not to mention all those hugs I know you have stored in you, too."

Kit nodded again, still holding his cup. "What should I do?"

Hrelle looked to Kami, who answered with, "You've been in enough of my Counseling sessions to know that in the end, only you can answer that question."

"Yes," Kit agreed - sounding as if he'd prefer another answer.

*

On the Bridge, T'Varik looked up as the cadet on Ops announced, "Vessel approaching, Ma'am: Ju'Day-class freighter, coming in from heading 118 Mark 14, ETA 4.5 hours."

She nodded, mentally calculating its probable point of origin, somewhere in the Barradis Sector. "Actual ETA is 4.43 hours, Cadet; maintain precision in future. And open Hailing Frequencies: Freighter, this is the USS Surefoot. Identify yourself and your purpose in this sector."

Seconds later, a man's voice replied. "Surefoot, this is the SS Arkwright. We are on a scheduled rendezvous with the Valley Forge, to deliver a set of maintenance drones and collect a civilian and her cargo."

"Acknowledged. Continue on your present course and speed, and coordinate with Valley Forge. Surefoot out."

*

"Friend Piri."

She was kneeling in her lab, securing the seals on a long, low crate, before rising and approaching, her face bright. "Kit! The freighter will be here soon to pick me up, and I was worried that you wouldn't come back! We must mate, now. Please undress."

He hated the expectant, excited look on her face - given what he had to say. "Friend Piri, I... respectfully must decline your request. When I father a child or children, I want more. I want to be a presence, a part of their lives, always. As our own parents within our clutches did, and as my friends have-"

She stepped back, turned and returned to her packing. "I have work to do before the Arkwright arrives. Leave."

He swallowed; the Most Respected Counselor had warned him of this response. "I hope you understand-"

She kept her back to him. "I do. You should go."

He drew up, stopping at a table where relics awaited packing. "I can assist you, at least." He lifted up an ancient, long-deactivated mechanism that resembled a modern tricorder. "You labelled these as Debrune in origin. I referenced them in our own database before I returned here. They are in fact Kalandan. The vertical sigils confirm this-"

She raced up to him and snatched it out of his grasp. "I know, I was mistaken. I believe I told you to leave."

He watched her. "The Federation Archaeology Council has deemed all Kalandan artefacts be reported to them immediately, under the Pandora Protocols. Have you done so?"

"Of course. Why have you not left now, as I have asked?"

He stared at her. "Friend Piri, I know how much you wanted offspring... so do I. I have seen how enriching and affirming being a parent can be." He drew up, making a decision. "I can come with you, get a leave of absence from Starfleet. If I can be permitted to at least spend the first few years with our children-"

She hissed, making him draw back as she spat, "NO! I do not like you! I never did! You are an insipid, insufferable reminder of what I left behind! Little wonder your humanoid friends are ready to take their leave of your annoying presence! I only tolerated you because of the possibility of your inseminating me! Don't you understand that?"

His mouth dropped open, and his throat flashed deep red. "I... I do now. I apologise for vexing you so much with my existence. Farewell."

He turned and departed, his hearts racing.

*

USS Surefoot, Sickbay:

The girl Eydiir had brought back to the ship lay on the biobed, dreamily listening to the soft, rhythmic sounds of the sensors reading her current state - oblivious to the stark, sober expressions on the surrounding Starfleet personnel.

Eydiir faced Dr Ling and T'Varik. "It is confirmed; she is under the influence of the narcotic Vraxoin."

Ling nodded. "Also known as Vrax, Bliss, XYP and other names. Fortunately this one seems to have taken only a mild dose; we can administer a detoxicant."

"The Edenists have been purported to be isolated," T'Varik noted. "How would they obtain such a narcotic?"

"It's an organic substance," Ling advised. "It can appear naturally in some plants. No doubt they had something like that on Eden."

The Vulcan nodded. "Treat her and return her to her people."

Eydiir frowned. "We are not doing anything more?"

"What would you have us do, Cadet?"

"Vraxoin is a dangerous, addictive and illegal substance that has caused much suffering on many worlds! Its use and distribution is banned throughout the Federation!"

T'Varik straightened further. "I am aware of its dangerous potential, and illegal status. But the Edenists are not Federation members, although this may change now that they are being resettled on a moon in Federation territory. That will be a matter for the local government of Arcturus Prime."

"But it is wrong!" Eydiir declared fiercely. "These people are already wasting their lives! To do so further with the aid of narcotics is-"

"Is their business, Cadet." T'Varik concluded coolly. "Your business is to provide treatment. Nothing more. Is that understood?"

Sullenly, Eydiir replied, "Yes, Ma'am."

The First Officer turned to leave, but paused to add, "For what it is worth, Cadet, I understand your frustration. You have at least made us aware of the issue. Perhaps assistance and education about the dangers of such casual narcotics use may be offered to the Edenists once they are settled?"

That put a crack in the Capellan girl's saturnine expression. "Yes, Ma'am."

*

USS Surefoot, Mess Hall:

Sasha entered for a coffee, despite her common sense telling her she would be better off putting aside her calculus studies and just going to bed, when she saw there was one other occupant. "Kit?"

He sat in the far corner, staring out at the Valley Forge, a glass of something purple in his clawed hands. He said nothing, never even responded to her presence until she drew up and stood beside him. Then he rose, swaying slightly and declaring, "Respected Squad Leader. I have to apologise to you for my rudeness earlier-"

"Never mind that. What's going on? I gave you extended leave to be with your friend. Why am I finding you back onboard, drinking? Alone?"

His mottled skin's normal green hue was turning a more sickly yellow-white. "Friend Piri... was not really my friend. She wanted my help in getting pregnant, nothing more."

"What? Are you serious?"

He nodded, his head moving as if on a loose hinge. "When I refused, she rejected me, insulted me. I wish- I wish I had never learned of her existence. To find one like her, only... only to be rejected... I do not like feeling this way..."

She pulled him into her arms as he began making a pitiable sound, shuddering. "It's okay, Kit. Everything's going to be okay..."

Then he threw up between them.

*

"Commander, the Arkwright has completed receipt of their passenger and cargo, and delivery of the new drones, and is preparing to depart."

T'Varik continued to focus the majority of her attention on the latest cadet academic scores, dissatisfied with the overall drop in quality, and considered the most efficacious responses, but still responded with, "Acknowledged, Mr Naavos. Continue to-"

"Commander!"

The tone in the Bajoran's voice made her set aside her PADD and turn her chair to face the Ops station behind her. "What is wrong?"

He was frowning as he peered at his readings. "Commander, the Arkwright is not heading in the expected direction, but has come hard about and is heading into the DMZ, towards Cardassian space at Warp 8! In fact, it's heading directly to that Galor-class warship reported earlier!"

"Yellow Alert." She rose to her feet. "Captain Hrelle: report to the Bridge. Mr Naavos, hail the Arkwright, as well as the Valley Forge. Helm, plot an intercept course for the Arkwright, and stand by to implement it."

After a few seconds, Naavos reported, "The Arkwright is not responding, but I have Captain Bakunin on the Valley Forge."

Hrelle entered, in uniform but without his boots. "What's going on?"

T'Varik trusted he could discern the situation without his help, and stayed focused on the transmission. "Valley Forge, do you know why the Arkwright is heading towards Cardassian space?"

Bakunin's voice filled the air, as Hrelle moved to the Tactical station. "Surefoot, I swear I have no idea! The exchange between us went without a hitch! We got our drones, they're scuttling about already, and the Qarari lady and her cargo got her lift."

"Nevertheless, Captain-"

Hrelle cut through, bolting upright. "Red Alert!" As the klaxon wailed, he spoke over it. "Helm, engage intercept course, Warp 9.5! Get Lt C'Rash up here now, if she isn't already on her way!"

The bridge crew moved frantically, C'Rash entered and took her place, catching up with the events on her automatic logs, and the viewscreen filled with the dilated space of high warp. T'Varik approached him. "What do you suspect, Sir? Abduction?"

"Maybe. Maybe a mutiny, a crewman or crewmen taking over. Whatever the reason, if they're heading towards the Cardassians, it can't be good. And we're gonna stop them-"

"Captain!" Naavos interrupted. "We're getting a distress signal from the Valley Forge! There are multiple explosions reported throughout their ship! Hull breaches, injuries, possible casualties!"

Hrelle didn't hesitate. "Helm, hard about! Take us back to the Valley Forge! Ops, initiate Emergency Protocols! I want all Damage Control, Medical and Security teams on standby! Get Auxiliary Sickbay powered up, coordinate all personnel and cargo transporters, and be ready to convert the Shuttlebay into a triage unit if required!"

"Captain," T'Varik started, as the crew around them snapped into action, her voice lowered so others would not hear her questioning their commanding officer's orders. "Whatever the Arkwright is doing, if it requires this level of sabotage to effect their escape, then stopping them might be our priority-"

He shook his head. "Right now, they're an unknown." He nodded towards the viewscreen, where the Valley Forge quickly dominated the view, and the Tactical scans helpfully indicated areas of hull breaches and damage. "What they need, isn't. You'll stay here and coordinate efforts, I'll command the Away teams over there."

"Captain, you are the more valued senior officer of the two of us, and should stay here and manage."

He frowned at the Ops station. "No, all those buttons and lights and sounds are scary. Me = Big Dumb Cat. You = Smart Vulcan. You stay."

She raised an eyebrow. "Then I will simply stress that you take care... and wish you good luck."

He smiled. "A Vulcan wishing me luck? Thanks, but I'll be okay over there."

"I am referring to the luck you will require when your wife learns you are acting recklessly again."

His smile dropped.

*

SS Valley Forge, Starboard Access Level 4:

The transport ship's own Red Alert siren cut through Hrelle's head like a spear, and it was all he could do to not curse aloud as he materialised in the corridor along with the team being led by Jonas Ostrow, operating as a Strategic Engineering Officer once more. He pointed unnecessarily to several cracks in the outer bulkhead, where air was loudly escaping. "Captain! Guforg! Get to work while I check the surrounding hull!"

"Yes, Sir!" Hrelle shouted over the noise, kneeling and opening the kit he was carrying, lifting up and securing the magnetic forcefield units on either side of the breach, activating them as he went along, while Guforg did the same with other, smaller breaches. Gradually, the hissing died down as less and less air escaped, and he shook his head to make his eardrums stop popping. Then he noticed how much of the surrounding floor and walls were blackened by some explosive device.

Nearby, Jonas was kneeling, examining some twisted, smouldering debris. "Lieutenant Ostrow, there's a lot of work ahead of us, you can do that later-"

He looked up from under his silver-white hair. "Sir, I think the explosions came from those drones the Arkwright beamed over. If there's any still intact onboard-"

Hrelle didn't let him finish, smacking his combadge. "C'Rash! The new drones the Arkwright beamed over! They could be booby-trapped! Run a sweep, find and beam out any you find into space!"

"Aye, Sir."

"HELP US!"

His ears picked up the man's cry, from the aft section, and raced down the corridor - regretting his additional bulk for once. He found Freeman Lowell at the closed hatchway to one of the biodomes, banging uselessly on the door until he saw Hrelle rush up. His face was frantic. "Help me! Laura- some of her friends- they're trapped in there-"

Hrelle understood, reading the Hull Breach Alert; whoever was in there could be dead already. He said nothing however as he contacted his ship. "T'Varik, what's the status of Biodome 2?"

"We're reading numerous small hull breaches, with larger fractures in the main structure; total collapse is imminent."

"There's people trapped in there! Beam them out!"

After a pause, T'Varik reported, "Unable to comply; there appears to be some sort of transporter inhibiting equipment nearby interfering-"

"Okay, I'll see what I can do from this end! Get a Medical team here, we might need them! Hrelle out!" He knelt and ripped open the panel beneath the controls, recalling his days as a prisoner, breaking into so-called secure areas. He looked up at Lowell. "Keep your finger on that button there for as long as you can, but hold onto something secure; if the dome shatters completely after we open the door, the decompression will blow you out. Along with everything else behind you." He made the final reconnection, bracing himself too.

The huge door began sliding open, enough to let him slip through. Inside the entire forest was shaking as if in the grip of a violent storm, as several visible cracks in the surrounding dome, along with dirt, leaves, water vapour and anything else light enough. The air was getting painfully thin.

He saw Laura and a half-dozen young people near the top of a slope, clinging onto a huge tree or each other, their clothes and hair whipping in the frenzy of the decompression. He tried to catch their attention, his initial attempts at shouting failing.

Then he raced further inside towards them. Mother's Cubs...

Luckily they began meeting him halfway, and he wordlessly motioned them towards the partly-opened hatchway. Laura was the last - and as she saw him, her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she fainted.

Hrelle assumed it was from lack of oxygen rather than his good looks, and he lifted her up to carry her out.

They were back in the corridor just as the dome finally gave away, the pieces flying out into space, and taking most of the forest with it. The rushing air from within the main body of the Valley Forge became almost intolerable, and Hrelle had to pull Lowell away from the control to let the hatchway close again.

The collection of them lay sprawled on the floor, but Hrelle looked up to see a Medical team from the Surefoot beam in nearby. He sat up, waving to Dr Ling to see to the others, as he took notice of Lowell, staring at the hatchway, stunned. "The forest... it was unique... the last of its kind... now it's gone..."

Hrelle grunted, moistening his mouth and catching his breath. "On... On the plus side... your daughter and... and her friends are alive... you... you asshole..."

*

"Captain's Log, Stardate 47327.01, USS Surefoot-A, Captain Esek Hrelle, Commanding: our rescue operations for the Valley Forge have been completed. There were fortunately no casualties, and the injuries have not been serious. A Security sweep has confirmed Lt Ostrow's suspicions, that the drones beamed over from the Arkwright contained explosives, designed to distract us while the Arkwright escaped into Cardassian space. A briefing from Cadet Kitirik, the only member of my crew to have seen the objects that were taken, has revealed some potentially disturbing implications..."

"And you're certain they were Kalandan in origin?" Hrelle asked.

The Qarari nodded. "The Most Respected Commander T'Varik has verified the descriptions I have given."

Next to her husband, Kami looked to the others in the Ready Room. "I never heard of them."

Hrelle motioned to Kit, who took the cue. "Most Respected Counselor, the Kalandans were an advanced spacefaring species of humanoids who dominated the Alpha Quadrant over thirty centuries ago, before their extinction from a genetically-engineered infection. At their height they possessed significantly advanced technology, such as artificial moons, isomorphic projections with telepathic capabilities, and spatial trajectors that could catapult vessels up to a thousand light years in distance."

"The extent of their technology was not known until Stardate 5690.14," T'Varik continued, "When the Enterprise encountered an intact Kalandan outpost. Their presence triggered a self-destruct code that wiped the outpost's memory and rendered the technology indecipherable. But the accounts from Captain Kirk and his crew were enough to conclude that any and all Kalandan artefacts subsequently discovered be placed under the Pandora Protocols."

Kami stared at her, and then moved her hand over her head to confirm her ignorance of the subject.

Hrelle took the call. "We like to think that Galactic History started with us. But there have been powers here centuries, millennia before the Federation, the Klingons and Romulans: the Kalandans, the Iconians, the Slaver Empire, the Tkon and others. Most of their technology is lost, but it's recognised that should any be discovered intact, it could tilt the balance of power in the Quadrant. So there's the Pandora Protocols." He nodded to Kit.

The cadet concluded for Hrelle. "Named after the mythological Terran figure who opened a box and let loose a series of plagues and other calamities. Anyone who discovers such artefacts must report them immediately to Starfleet Command and the Federation Archaeological Council."