Surefoot 06: Grey Matters

Story Info
A new arrival, and old issues.
12k words
4.45
11.2k
4

Part 20 of the 104 part series

Updated 04/10/2024
Created 10/24/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

"USS Surefoot, Captain's Personal Log, Stardate 36299.93, Captain Esek Hrelle, Commanding: Our ship has stopped just outside the Malbruk System, where a Federation archaeological operation was established on the second planet. Our cadets believe we are here to run diagnostic tests on the Sensor Buoys on the system's outer perimeter.

In fact, we will also be engaging in a mandatory Grey Alert test. I'm sure that when the cadets hear about it they'll treat it as some Great Adventure. For those of us who have undergone many Grey Alert scenarios before and prefer our creature comforts... not so much.

We are also taking the opportunity to collect our latest cadet, a Caitian male, who is replacing Giles Arrington as Alpha Squad's pilot, now that Giles has been promoted to Beta Squad Leader. Hrelle out."

Sitting across from him, cleaning her claws, Kami looked up and smirked. "Seven Hells, that's what you call a 'Personal Log'? Are they all that boring?"

"No, some get exceptionally filthy. Especially when detailing the fantasies I have of you."

"Oh, I wish that were true," she smiled. "I'd loved to think of historians in the distant future imagining what I was like in real life to warrant such dirty thoughts."

"Do you really think historians in the distant future are going to care about the personal musings of a man in charge of ferrying supplies and training cadets?"

"And rescuing Malurian children from slavery?" she reminded him.

Hrelle stopped grousing, unable to do anything but silently concede that point. It had been almost two weeks since the incident with the freighter and the slave trafficking operation they had stumbled upon and stopped, but it was still fresh in his mind. Not just the children they had rescued, but the Nausicaans he had killed with his bare hands, to protect his stepdaughter and the rest of Alpha Squad. Kami had been helping him face what he had seen and done.

Now he looked over at the drawing that had been transmitted to him from Starbase 154, where the children had been transferred for their eventual reunion with their families: a colourful depiction of himself and Kami as the popular children's characters Fat Cat and Lil' Kitten, done by one of the children he had helped rescue. It reminded him of the drawings Sasha used to do of him, a lifetime ago-

Then he looked away, reaching up and swiping back the fur behind his left ear again. Too many memories he wasn't prepared to deal with. Too much introspection.

He snapped out of it as Kami rose from her chair and leaned over his desk, her fur-tipped tail rising behind her, swaying as if from an errant breeze, her honey eyes fixed on him as she rested her muzzle on her fist and regarded him. "I just saw a whole wave of something flash before your eyes, Captain. What was it?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, talk." She smiled again. "If you do, I'll show you my boobs."

"I've seen your boobs."

"And aren't they worth looking at again?"

Hrelle leaned back in his chair, turning it to keep his left side away from her as he nodded at the picture. "I remember when Sasha used to do pictures like these for me, and I'd frame them and put them on the bridge of the Furyk. It wasn't that long ago - was it? Now she's all grown up, out here doing her mother and me proud. What in the Seven Hells happened?"

She smiled. "I know. It felt like yesterday when I was chasing my cub around to put him in the bath. Now I've heard from him: he's getting married later this year."

"Congratulations!" he beamed. "When is it? Is it corresponding with the Academy break? If not, I'll make arrangements for a substitute Counselor-"

"Never mind that now, we're talking about you."

"There's nothing to talk about. I was merely contemplating the passage of time."

"Oh? And what about that grey fur behind your left ear?"

He started, glaring at her. "I was trying to keep you from noticing that."

She smiled. "I've noticed it for days now. Is that what's bothering you? Signs of age finally appearing?"

Hrelle didn't answer - because she was right. Since that fight on the freighter, which had left him more winded and aching than any previous fight had done, he had felt a creeping realisation suffusing him that he was not the young man he once was.

He had been a physical wreck when he had escaped slavery, but medical science had dealt with most of the issues that had arisen all those years. But now it was like time was conspiring to compensate for what science had given him back. He began seeing all the other signs: the skin creases under the fur indicative of wrinkles, the aches in his muscles, the decrease in the sharpness of his hearing and other senses. And, of course, the greying fur.

The chirp from his combadge pulled him from his thoughts, and he responded gratefully. "Hrelle here."

"Commander T'Varik, Sir. The shuttle with the new cadet has arrived, and as our shuttlebay is full, it is currently docking at Airlock 1."

"On our way." He tapped the combadge again, not trying too hard to look disappointed. "Oh dear, duty calls. We'll have to reschedule this another time. I am so sorry, Counselor."

She sneered. "Like you weren't waiting for that." She straightened up, her expression growing more sober. "Don't think this is finished, Mister Grey."

"Of course it isn't - you still owe me a look at your boobs."

*

Shuttlebay Airlock 1:

Squad Leader Sasha Hrelle tugged at the sleeves and hem of her uniform, feeling nervous and not knowing why. Maybe it was the official nature of this occasion; she had arrived with the other cadets to the Surefoot, none of them knowing who would be made Squad Leader until they were actually onboard, allowing them to socialise and get to know each other better first and break the ice. This was the first time she was going to meet another cadet from the outside, and in her formal capacity.

Or maybe it was just the First Officer watching her curiously. "Are you the victim of what humans call a 'practical joke'?"

"Practical joke? What do you mean?"

"I once disciplined an upperclassman at the Academy who had a penchant for reprogramming synthesisers to produce freshmen uniforms that were too small, lined with irritants - or would fall apart during parades." But there was something in T'Varik's expression that told Sasha it was just her dry attempt at humour.

Sasha stopped fidgeting. "Sorry, Commander. I just want to make a good impression on the New Kid. I'm going in blind here, metaphorically speaking, since you've chosen not to reveal anything about our new Flight Conn Specialist for some illogical reason."

The Vulcan raised an eyebrow. "Ms Hrelle, I can assure you that there is nothing that I do that does not have at least some logical rationalisation behind it. And I chose to keep the details about Cadet Rrori from you to prevent any preconceptions being formed about him. I would remind you about the preconceptions you and Mr Arrington held about each other, before your relationship... evolved?"

Sasha blushed, finding something else to look at besides her superior officer. It was an open secret onboard that her relationship with Giles had become physical, helped by the fact that with his promotion, he was no longer under her command and thus risking accusations of favouritism. But while their subsequent... meetings... were infrequent, the same could not be said for the rumours and jokes now circulating. Fortunately, T'Varik's Vulcan decorum minimised the ridicule-

"Morning, Runt of the Litter!" Hrelle declared as he strode up to them, frowning at Sasha's resumed fidgeting. "What's wrong? Giles give you crabs?"

She gasped, feeling herself turn seven shades of red. "Fuck off, Dad!"

He laughed at her response, ignoring Kami scowl as he looked at T'Varik. "That's very unprofessional talk from the Squad Leader, is it not, Commander?"

"Indeed it is, Captain. I will, however, allow it, given the unrelenting provocation from someone who should be the more mature of the two."

"Thank you, Ma'am." Still blushing, Sasha added, "I believe you were about to tell me about my latest Squad member?"

"Of course. Cadet Rrori is a Caitian male from a region called the M'Restir Province-"

"Oooh," Kami purred, while Hrelle just cursed.

Sasha looked to them. "Something I should know?"

"Ooh, we're about to be blessed with the presence of someone from M'Restir," Kami teased. "Where only the oldest, wealthiest clans reside. Bet he has solid gold tail bands and bracelets, and plays the frettercast."

"The what?"

"A pretentious acoustic instrument pretty rich boys like to learn to play to impress others," Hrelle grumbled. "M'Restir Province. Big fat furry deal."

T'Varik continued regardless. "Cadet Rrori possesses high scores in Flight Control, Astrogation and Subspace Geometry, with an equally impressive secondary speciality in Engineering. It was only because he was incapacitated with Rigellian Kassaba Fever that he hadn't participated in the Program sooner. He is highly talented."

"Oh, is he?" Hrelle sneered. "But can he do this?" He then proceeded to rapidly drum on his belly.

The women stared at him, T'Varik responding with, "It is not indicated in his records."

"I bet he can, though," Kami mocked him. "And being so young and virile, I bet he could keep it going for hours and hours without stopping-"

"Kiss my furry ass."

"Any time, you sexy jealous bastard."

Sasha looked to T'Varik. "May I be excused, please? I'm feeling nauseated."

"Unfortunately, Cadet, I require someone with me to compensate for their behaviour."

Suddenly the airlock alert lights flashed, and seconds later, the door slid open, revealing a young, tall Caitian male with fur of shimmering gold-white speckled with black, chocolate-brown eyes, short pointed ears, and a short, slim tail tipped with a healthy patch of fur - along with a couple of the aforementioned gold tail bands. His muscular, wide-shouldered frame hugged his uniform, and he quickly set down his two bags and stood to attention, his voice young and strong as he faced Hrelle. "Cadet Rrori reporting, Sir. Permission to come aboard?"

Sasha stared, the breath caught in her throat. Oh my...

"Permission granted, Mr Rrori," Hrelle nodded, his earlier grousing set aside, offering his hand and indicating each of the women in turn. "Allow me to introduce our First Officer, Commander T'Varik, our Ship's Counselor, Kami Shall, and your Squad Leader, Sasha Hrelle."

Rrori nodded politely to T'Varik and Kami in turn, before turning to Sasha, looking between the Captain and her. "Hrelle? Excuse me, but are you two... related?"

"Can't you tell, Cadet?" Hrelle joked. "She's got my child-bearing hips."

Sasha bit back her initial retort, her heart racing inexplicably at the sight of this... incredibly attractive-looking specimen of Caitianhood. She held out her own hand, her words a little too fast and loud and wrong as they left her mouth. "Actually, I'm his stepfather. Welcome aboard, Cadet! A pleasure to have you!"

"Cadet," T'Varik proceeded, more calmly, "Ms Hrelle will escort you to your mutual quarters where you can store your possessions and meet the other members of your Squad, before providing a tour of the ship. You are scheduled for a formal briefing with myself at 1200 Hours, and then an initial Counseling session at 1400. Your first duty shift as part of Alpha Squad commences at 1600."

"Understood, Commander." Rrori looked back at Sasha, and then down at their hands - Sasha was still shaking his, until she finally let go. Then he focused on Hrelle. "Sir, may I say what a pleasure it will be to serve under you? I have read so much about your career; you have been an inspiration for our people."

Hrelle beamed, feeling himself blush under his fur. "Why, thank you, Mr Rrori. I hope meeting me in the flesh hasn't been too disappointing."

The newcomer smiled back. "No, Sir. I mean, you *do* look much older than I had imagined, but that's to be expected, I suppose."

Hrelle's smile remained fixed. "Yes, I suppose, Cadet. Dismissed."

Oblivious, Rrori retrieved his possessions as an eager-looking Sasha motioned for him to follow her. The three officers waited several seconds, before Hrelle muttered, "Commander, recall the shuttle and send him home. I don't think he'll work out here." He looked to a snickering Kami. "And you can shut up, too."

"I do not believe he meant to be insulting," T'Varik noted mildly. "It would seem a waste of time and resources to return him to the Academy at this point."

Kami chuckled. "Besides, I think Sasha might object. Did you catch her scent change when she shook his hand?"

"That's enough," Hrelle growled.

"Vulcans are not as discerning about subtle scent changes as Caitians," T'Varik admitted. "Although she did appear unusually flustered. Do you believe she found him sexually attractive?"

"Oh, most definitely, helped with her libido being awakened by the rampant carnal fun she's regularly having now with Giles-"

"I'm sure there's room on that shuttle for the two of you as well," Hrelle warned.

"Then I shall change the subject slightly," T'Varik promised, "I am aware of your people's custom of shortening your lengthy clan titles into manageable surnames, but I am unaware of any similar customs regarding withholding your forenames."

He frowned. "There are none, T'Varik. Why?"

"Mr Rrori broke with Starfleet protocol by not providing his full name when first addressing you. It seems an unusual affectation, and I did not wish to address it with him if there were cultural restrictions."

"What is his forename, anyway?" Kami asked.

T'Varik responded.

The Caitians looked at each other. And smiled.

"Is there a significance to it?" the Vulcan enquired.

"Not to Caitians," Hrelle admitted, looking a little more satisfied now, "But we can see why he wouldn't volunteer it."

*

Deck 2, Alpha Squad Quarters:

Jonas and Kitirik stared down at the Durotta game board sitting between them, wearing identical pained, pensive expressions. Until Jonas looked up and noticed, muttering, "Why are you looking like that? You're not the one who's losing."

Kit looked back, his round reptilian eyes a bright red contrast to his mottled olive-green skin. He muttered back, "Forgive me, Friend Jonas. I assumed the facial expression was a requirement of the game, given how often you've worn it."

On the floor of the common area nearby, Neraxis was chuckling, in between struggling to lift her big blue bare foot high enough to trim her toenails. "If you need a good strategy, Scrappy, try the Jonas Ostrow Gambit."

Jonas knew he shouldn't take the bait. He did anyway. "And what's that?"

The Bolian lifted up her bald, bisected head and grinned. "You stop trying to get good enough to beat me, and go straight to taking the forfeits and doing my squad chores." She ran the laser trimmer over the nail of her big toe, burning away the excess. "Our bathroom isn't gonna clean itself."

Reclining in an adjacent chair, Eydiir never took her eyes away from her PADD, trying and failing to stay focused on the latest issue of the Starfleet Medical Journal. "It is honourable that Jonas is seeking to better himself in order to challenge you. You are becoming arrogant. Perhaps I should assist him in his quest?"

Neraxis made an amused sound. "You looking to spank me, girl?"

The dark-skinned Capellan woman turned and narrowed her gaze at her friend. "If I thought you wouldn't enjoy it, then, yes."

The door slid open, Sasha and Rrori entering, Sasha waiting until the others rose before saying, "Guys, I'd like to introduce you to our new Flight Conn Specialist, Rrori. Rrori, this is Jonas Ostrow, Engineering Specialist, Kitirik, Science Specialist, Eydiir Daughter-of-Kaas, Medical Specialist, and Neraxis Nemm, Security Specialist."

The Caitian nodded formerly to each of them in turn as they greeted him. "Thank you for your welcome. Illness prevented me from being here with you from the start; it is a pleasure to finally arrive and help improve things."

"Oh?" Neraxis responded mildly, folding her arms across her chest. "I didn't know we needed improvement."

"Yes," he countered without hesitation or irony. "Starfleet Academy has been kept continually appraised of the results of the squads in the Advanced Work Experience Program. Surefoot's Alpha Squad has impressive scores, but clearly you can do better." He smiled. "Now that I'm here, you will. I have compiled many suggestions towards that end."

Neraxis looked to Eydiir. "Wow! However did we survive without him around?"

Rrori noticed the Durotta board on the table, looking to Jonas. "You play?"

Jonas nodded glumly. "Not very well, I'm afraid. You?"

The Caitian made a sound of confirmation, before reaching out, moving a cylindrical piece forward and knocking over another of a different colour. "I was Grandmaster on the Academy's Team. Pity, I was hoping to find some challenging opponents onboard."

Jonas frowned, looking at the others before suggesting, "Maybe you should go up against Neraxis? She's our best player."

Rrori looked over at the Bolian, appearing pleased. "Excellent news! I love playing against Bolians, they're brilliant at Durotta. Back on Cait when I was twelve I was fortunate enough to have engaged in a match with Traxx Arag."

Neraxis turned a lighter shade of blue. "You've played against Traxx Arag? The Traxx Arag?"

He nodded, shrugging. "To be fair, he hadn't been Federation Champion for that long, and I was only twelve. It took almost ninety-six moves to beat him. I felt like such an idiot."

"Friend Cadet Rrori, I-" Kitirik began, before stopping and asking, "Forgive my ignorance, but do you have a forename I may employ? I do not recall Friend Sasha telling us."

His brow furrowed. "It is not easily pronounceable by off-worlders. I will answer simply as 'Rrori'."

"Of course. Friend Rrori, I am currently working on a paper on subspace geometry, and would appreciate any input you might provide."

The Caitian smiled. "Then you've come to the right male. I am exceedingly gifted in that area of expertise."

Sasha frowned, looking at Eydiir. "Do you have your medical tricorder with you?"

The Capellan nodded. "Why?"

"Get it and follow me, I need you to check on something. Rrori? Jonas, Kit and Neraxis can show you which is your bed and where to stow your possessions. We have a chores rota, so ignore any attempts by Neraxis to trick you into doing hers." She ignored Neraxis' middle finger as she motioned for Eydiir to follow her into the bathroom and closed the door, calming down some.

"What is it?" Eydiir finally asked.

Sasha breathed in. "Scan me. See if there's anything wrong."

Her friend frowned, but flipped open the tricorder and passed it over Sasha, her eyes examining the readout panel. "Your temperature, pulse and blood pressure are all slightly elevated. There's also increased neural activity. I take it you didn't run all the way here?"

"No. Is there any sign of infection or poisoning?"

"No viral or bacterial infections detected, no traces of alcohol or narcotics. Are you sexually aroused?"

Sasha flushed. "I'm not answering that."

"Of course not." She snapped the tricorder lid shut. "You appear to be acutely attracted to our Caitian braggart."

"I can't be. I can't be attracted to some insufferable jerk!"

"To be fair, it wouldn't be the first time."

"He's not even human!" Quickly she elaborated, "Not that that makes a difference, of course! I've just never been attracted to Caitian males before!"

"Have you ever met any before? Except for your father, who has been a major influence in your life?"

Sasha eyed her now. "You're not saying I have some sort of Oedipus Complex going on here, are you?"

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers