Surefoot 04: Sanction Ch. 02

Story Info
Part 2 of 3: K’Nuran
7k words
4.39
9.4k
2

Part 15 of the 104 part series

Updated 04/10/2024
Created 10/24/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

USS Surefoot, Deck 2, Study Room:

Sasha told the others about the Nist invitation to the execution of her mother's murderer - but as she did, she could see the beginnings of doubt creeping into some of the faces. Jonas and Kitirik, she expected such reactions, given their passive natures. Neraxis was a surprise, but then the Bolian, for her role as the Squad's Security Specialist and her generally boisterous nature, proved in fact to be more conventional. Giles appeared mostly supportive and sympathetic.

And she wasn't worried about Eydiir; the Capellan's culture was inherently violent, with duels, vendetta and tribal warfare a common occurrence, so there was no way her friend would saying anything negative.

Until she finished her story. Then Eydiir replied, "No. Giles will not help you."

Giles looked to her. "You think maybe you'll leave that decision up to me?"

Eydiir looked to Giles now. "She has been forbidden from leaving the ship. If you aid and abet her in the theft of a shuttle, you'll end up in the stockade, and needless to say, thrown out of Starfleet." She looked to the others. "We all will, if we assist."

Anger rose like bile in Sasha's throat. "How can you turn against me like that? You, of all people? You told me you saw your father execute the killer of your mother!"

"Yes, I did," Eydiir conceded darkly. "But it was in the aftermath of a blood feud, and it was a quick, clean, necessary act. I had no desire to see it. I certainly did not enjoy it. There was no audience. It was not made into a protracted, public affair like the Nist seem to be planning." Her gaze narrowed. "This sounds... barbaric."

"We can't do this, Sash," Neraxis declared, her blue skin darkening. "Starfleet, the Federation, they have laws, ideals, to uphold."

Sasha stared at them all in turn, appalled by the response. "You're supposed to be my friends!"

"We are," Neraxis countered soberly. "That's why we're trying to keep you from risking your career, your whole life, because you can't take No for an answer."

"But it's wrong! The Captain's denying me my right to see justice done!"

"Justice, Friend Sasha?" Kitirik asked. "Or Vengeance? The two seem interchangeable to many humanoids."

"There's no difference, Kit!"

"Really?" Eydiir asked.

"Sasha, the man is going to be killed for his crimes," Jonas pointed out. "Whether you're there to witness it or not. I mean, until yesterday you didn't even know he existed! At least now you'll have the knowledge that he won't be spending the rest of his life on Orion or somewhere else, living off his blood money. Isn't that some sort of comfort for you?"

"If it was, Jonas, would I be acting this way? I have to see this bastard in the flesh! I have to see him suffer and die with my own eyes!"

Jonas had paled, eyes wide. "Sasha, this isn't you... I can't believe you really feel this way about wanting to see another living being be put to death."

"Can't you?" Anger was boiling over in her now, at him, at all of them, and their concerted efforts to refuse to understand, to refuse to help her. "Maybe someone should go murder *your* mother and see how you feel then?"

Eydiir slammed her fist on the table. "ENOUGH! No matter the excuse, that is uncalled for! And if you're half the woman I believe you are, you will apologise for that, and now!"

Sasha swallowed, feeling her temperature double from shame, certain her face was as red as blood. She could barely look at Jonas as she muttered, "I'm sorry, Jonas. I didn't mean that, honestly."

The young man nodded, but looked like he was ready to cry, which made her feel twice as bad.

"I don't think any of us can fully know what this means to you, Sasha," Giles offered gently, breaking the tense silence between them. "We've heard you talk about your mother. And I've talked with your Dad about her, too."

Sasha looked up at him suspiciously. "You did? When?"

He blushed a little. "The, uh, the first night we arrived, when I ended up in the brig. We talked: about her, and you, and what he went through with the Bel-Zon." He coughed, averting his gaze. "I had a closer talk with him than I ever did with my own father. Funny, that... or sad. Or maybe both." He looked up again. "If your Dad says that it's wrong to want to go and see this man die, you should take his word for it-"

Now she felt her expression tighten, not at all liking the course of this conversation. And she accepted that she was not going to get anywhere with them. She wasn't going; it was a stupid idea to begin with. "No. Of course not. I'm just... upset. Can we forget everything that happened here?"

Eydiir nodded. "It would be for the best. Take some solace in knowing the man will pay for his crimes, even if you cannot witness the payment being made."

Sasha offered them a smile. "Yes. You're right."

The others seemed to relax at her concession.

Eydiir didn't. But she chose to stay silent, for now.

*

Deck 2, Mess Hall:

Hrelle and the Security Chief Lt. Abed were together, eating and talking business, when they saw Alpha Squad enter, approaching the replicator units. Hrelle was picking at his salad, watching them.

Sitting opposite him, Abed noted with a grin, "You know, if you imagine the salad is chicken and beef, it'll seem more palatable."

"I doubt it," Hrelle said absently, nodding to the group before raising his voice. "Alpha Squad, there are seats over here!"

Some of them looked in his direction and waved in the affirmative.

Sasha ignored him.

"Damn it," he muttered. "She's still angry with me. It's been almost a day since our fight. I left messages on her terminal, but she's never responded."

"That's definitely not like her. Want me to have a word?"

"No thanks, Prakash. Don't take it the wrong way, but I don't want her to feel like we're all ganging up on her."

"Captain? Commander?" It was Giles, Jonas and the other members of Alpha Squad, carrying trays of lunch with them. "Are you sure we can sit here?"

"Course you can," Abed pointed out. "Be warned, though, that future postings in Starfleet may be to vessels with segregated mess halls for enlisted personnel and officers, so enjoy basking in our beloved commissioned company while you can."

"It doesn't have to be like that. The Captain could always just give us field promotions now?" Neraxis suggested, looking expectantly at Hrelle.

"Kiss my furry ass, Cadet."

Neraxis chuckled, while Kitirik leaned forward towards Eydiir and asked, "Respected Friend, am I correct in assuming that the Captain does not literally wish this of anyone?"

"You are correct. It is merely banter."

"Ahh." The Qarari popped a replicated locust into his mouth and swallowed, looking around to ensure everyone was listening. "So the Captain's invitation for Friend Neraxis to kiss his posterior was just an example of his being... tongue in cheek?"

Giles rolled his eyes as Kitirik chuckled in his people's unique style. "I apologise to everyone. We've tried our best to curb this."

"I like it," the Security Officer laughed, aware of Sasha's continued contrived silence. "Hey Sash, are you prepared for the new Talarian simulation?"

Sasha picked at her curry. "Yes, Lieutenant."

"Commander T'Varik isn't expecting a perfect score for your first time, so don't let her rattle you."

"I won't, Lieutenant."

The table went quiet, with people glancing at each other, including Hrelle and Abed, who continued with, "The Captain is conducting an informal tactical class with the other Squad Leaders this evening. With his considerable experience against Orions, Nausicaans and Tholians, you could pick up a few tips."

"Is it mandatory?"

Hrelle slammed down his fork, ignoring the looks from those around him as he glared at his stepdaughter. "No, it's not! And how long do you intend to keep this up?"

She still stared at her plate. "I don't know what you mean, Sir."

"Damn it, Sasha!"

Everyone looked at him now.

"Captain," Abed prompted gently.

Hrelle breathed in, forcing himself to calm down as he rose. "I'm done with my rabbit food. Lt. Abed, have Alpha Squad's Leader report to Sickbay to see about the pole she has lodged up her kiester."

Abed decided to not to take his suggestion literally.

*

Deck 4, Training Holodeck:

Sasha sat in the command chair at the centre of the simulated bridge, eyes fixed on the viewscreen without actually looking at it, ears hearing the reports of her squad at their various stations without actually listening to them.

In front of her, Giles sat at the helm. "Approaching Talarian vessel, stopping at four thousand kilometres and holding position."

At her Security station, Neraxis double checked her readings and announced, "The vessel's weapons are off-line, no other vessels in proximity."

From his station at Engineering, Jonas offered, "They've had a radiation leak from their primary reactor, but no sign of an imminent warp core breach."

From the auxiliary Medical station, Eydiir added, "I am detecting multiple Talarians onboard, reporting injuries. I am alerting all primary and secondary medical teams to the transporter room with appropriate equipment."

At Operations again, Kitirik finished with, "Captain, as per procedure I am sending communications to the Talarians offering assistance."

"Belay that. Tactical, power all weapons."

All eyes turned to her, Neraxis asking, "Excuse me, Captain?"

"You heard me. Power all weapons. Everyone else, focus on your stations."

After a confused heartbeat, the squad returned to their own screens, as Neraxis announced, "All weapons powered."

"Lock phasers and photon torpedoes on the vessel."

Now Giles turned around in his chair. "Sash, what the hell-"

She ignored him. "Tactical, I said lock phasers and photon torpedoes on the enemy vessel!"

"No," the Bolian replied simply, looking shocked and appalled, even if it was all just a simulation.

Sasha turned and faced her, her body and face and voice all taut fury. "You're relieved of duty. Mr Arrington, take over Tactical, follow my orders!"

Giles rose - but didn't move. "No, Captain."

Now Eydiir rose, approaching her. "No more, Sasha. You cannot continue like this. This is not you. You are acting irrationally. You have insulted your friends. You have spoken of breaking Starfleet regulations. And your actions here have gone against the ideals I know you possess." She reached out, resting a hand on Sasha's arm. "Please, let us help you-"

But Sasha pulled away, looking ready to strike her.

A familiar voice filled the room. "Computer: Pause Training Scenario." Seconds later, T'Varik entered through the simulated bridge doors, striding up to Sasha. "Explain your actions."

"Shouldn't you be asking that of those crewmembers who refuse to obey orders, Commander?"

"Cadets Nemm and Arrington were within their rights to refuse orders which contravened Starfleet policy about the treatment of hostiles in wartime. The Talarian ship was depowered, its weapons offline-"

"We faced depowered Talarians before, and we still lost people because they decided to commit a selfish, murderous act of self-destruction, and take as many of us along as they could."

"That was a different vessel, a different situation-"

"The Talarians have proven themselves to be cowardly murderers! They forfeited any rights or considerations under civilised law! Punishing them now before they kill any more Starfleet personnel is the quickest, easiest course of action to take!"

The Vulcan's face tightened. "Cadet Hrelle, this scenario is not designed for you to find the quickest, easiest course. Life does not function like that. Especially not life in Starfleet. The decisions you make as the captain of a starship will almost always be difficult ones-"

"Excuse me, Commander," Sasha interrupted archly. "But what the hell do *you* know about commanding a starship anyway? You've spent your entire career hiding away at the Academy, sending others out into space to do the real work! Like the human saying goes, 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'"

T'Varik regarded her for a moment longer, before responding with, "Cadet Sasha Hrelle, effective immediately you are suspended from active and academic duties pending disciplinary action and a Counseling assessment. You are dismissed."

Sasha trembled with rage, but turned and departed.

*

Deck 2, Counselor's Office:

"What am I supposed to do? Why am I not reaching her?"

Kami shrugged. "Because she's a stubborn bitch?"

Hrelle frowned. "That's not funny."

"It's not meant to be. She's a stubborn bitch. So am I. All the best women are." She leaned against her desk. "Was her mother like that?"

He refused to answer. Instead, his stomach growled. Loudly. "Fucking diet."

Kami smirked, before moving to a nearby table, returning and dropping a plate of half-finished shuris pie. "This is left over from my lunch."

"Mother's Cubs..." He had smelled it from the moment he entered her office, and tried to ignore the cravings it raised in him. He lifted it up and began greedily devouring it, flakes flying about as he swallowed the delicious portions of meat with a minimum of any damn vegetables.

She sat down again as he made sounds. "Should I leave you two alone?" The Caitian ran her claws through her mane. "I'll go and have a word with her." When her door buzzer sounded, she called out, "Enter."

As he saw his First Officer enter, Hrelle pushed the plate with the remains of shuris pie back across the table towards Kami.

Kami reached over and dusted off the flakes clinging to his uniform. "Don't worry, it's not your Mom. Promise you won't tell Dr Ling on him, Commander?"

T'Varik looked sober, even for a Vulcan. "It is fortunate that you are together to hear this. I have just suspended Sasha from duty."

Hrelle rose to his feet to join them. "What?"

"She chose to resolve the Talarian holodeck simulation by ordering the destruction of the Talarians. When I confronted her about it, she insulted me."

"She insulted you? What did she say?"

"The content is not important. I am here to request that the Counselor assess her mental and emotional state."

"I'll assess it," Hrelle promised. "I'll assess the hell out of it-"

Kami reached out and patted him on the shoulder. "Down, boy, and cork that testosterone. Leave this to be settled by the women."

*

Deck 2, Gym:

Sasha had changed into her exercise clothes, needing to blow off from steam, and took advantage of being alone to kick and punch at the padded columns set up in one corner of the room, where the floors were also padded. She flexed her fists and tensed as she struck out, her soft-soled shoes sending waves of pain with each kick she made, and grunted and cursed with each strike.

"Nice form."

She stopped and faced the intruder. "What do you want?"

Kami slipped out of her jacket and cast it aside, before reached up and ponytailing her mane. "You already know. I was going to see you later today, but obviously the business with T'Varik has forced me to move it up to now. We have to talk about what's going on. "

"No. We don't." She started towards the doorway.

The Counselor reached out and grabbed her by the arm, stopping her. "Yes. We do."

"Let go."

Kami batted her eyes teasingly. "And what if I don't?"

"You'll regret it."

Now the Counselor purred. "Ooh, that almost sent a chill down my spine. You've been taking lessons in intimidation from your father."

Sasha's face darkened. "He's not my father. Now let go!"

Kami didn't move.

Sasha swung out - only to find herself flung to the mats, with Kami standing over her, looking down to flex the three large toes on each of her bare feet. "I read that you reached the Fourth Tier on the Academy's K'Gresirr team. Pretty impressive - for a non-Caitian." She rolled her neck. "Come on, get in position and show me what you got."

Sasha glared up at her. "I'm not fighting you."

"Well, that'll make it easier for me, then." Kami stretched her limbs, her tail swishing in anticipation behind her, her hands raised in an opening move. "Don't worry, I'll keep my claws in. Wouldn't want to scratch that thin skin you've been sporting lately. K'Nill!"

Sasha glared at her a moment longer, ignoring the traditional call to begin the fight. She helped herself up and turned to leave.

And thus wasn't ready for Kami racing up and slamming her foot into the back of one of her knees, sending her down to the mats again.

The tension of the last day erupted from her. Sasha rose and twisted into an attack pose. "You want some? Come and get some!"

She charged, striking out in the swift, wide arcs favoured by the Caitian martial art. Kami dodged them easily, offering only playful slaps in return, as they danced around each other. "I'm a bit rusty. But this is my people's fighting art. As good as you are, there are things you are simply not physically capable of doing."

As if in demonstrations, Kami sent Sasha down to the mats again.

The girl looked up, wiping blood from the corner of her mouth. "What's wrong, Counselor? Finally claiming him for your own?"

Kami's gaze narrowed. "Oh, you're better than that, Sash. And you're better than this, too."

Sasha rose and struck out, again and again, harder and harder each time. And each time, Kami blocked the blows. And when she chose to dodge instead of block, letting Sasha swing out into open air, it only angered her further. Her arms ached. Her head felt like it was about to explode.

Now she stopped and straightened up, still facing Kami, breathing hard, bent over. She started towards her, but the Counselor held up a hand. "K'Nuran!" With the traditional call to end the fight, Kami straightened up as well. "Between my agility and your age, we're evenly matched. Maybe now you're ready to talk about what you're feeling-"

Sasha twisted and kicked out, slamming her foot into her opponent's crotch and sending the Caitian flying backwards.

Kami was completely unprepared, collapsing into a foetal position as Sasha pursued, dropping, grabbing and twisting the female's tail until she screeched, striking out with her elbow. But Sasha was ready for it, blocking the elbow and pinning the arm back, allowing Sasha to drive her fist into Kami's muzzle.

Sasha returned to her feet. "Don't you DARE try to counsel me! Rmorra, your husband, the father of your cub, was MURDERED! Taken from you! For some worthless broken pottery on a forgotten planet! Your cub grew up without him around, will never present him with a mate or grandcubs! And you'll spend the rest of your life never growing old together, never seeing him, never holding him again! I know if you had the chance to see his murderers die, you'd take it in a heartbeat!

But you, my friends, T'Varik, and that son of a bitch on the bridge would deny me that, preaching ethics and civilisation and other shit! You sanctimonious hypocrites!"

Kami held her muzzle, certain she'd felt it crack as she tasted blood in her mouth. "Sash- We're trying- trying to help you-"

Sasha's face tightened as she released the tension in her fists. "Then treat me like an adult. And let me make my own decisions."

*

Deck 4, Sickbay:

Hrelle stormed through the doorway. He hated these places. He hated being a patient in them. He hated even more visiting others in them. The report that brought him down here was succinct, and so didn't prepare him for the shock on seeing Kami sitting on the edge of one of the biobeds, wincing as Dr Ling worked an autosuture on the Counselor's muzzle. "What in the Seven Hells-"

Kami held up a hand towards him. "Shush. Too loud. Head ringing." She hissed when the doctor pushed the autosuture too close.

Dr Ling gave her a look, but said nothing and continued.

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers